PDA

View Full Version : NBA rejects EA's bid for exclusivity

Yankeez
12-21-2004, 01:36 AM
One of the reasons is that the NBA Live series simply doesn't have a stranglehold on the market the way Madden has for years, so by signing an exclusive deal with EA, the NBA would actually be losing money. There are simply too many NBA video game properties that sell big units for the deal to make sense, from the ESPN NBA series to NBA Ballers to 989's games that are set to hit both the PS2 and PSP.

Sources aren't quite as clear in terms of potential dealings with Major League Baseball as a few publishers were worried a deal was already in place for EA to step in and take over like they did with the NFL. But after the EA/NFL deal went down, at least one publisher was able to re-up their MLB contract for three more games, so it looks like a false alarm as the only exclusive EA was able to lockup for the time being was the NFL.

Source (http://sports.ign.com/articles/574/574539p1.html?fromint=1)

:cheers:

DocHoliday78
12-21-2004, 01:38 AM
good ****in greedy rich snitches

Variation-XBA
12-21-2004, 02:50 AM
EA just got served! :P

Slowride
12-21-2004, 02:55 AM
Jesus....I mean I love NCAA 2005. But that honestly might be the last EA game I buy. It aggravated me that they would get on live forever and now this crap. This is completely absurd. I mean shouldn't EA's deal with the NFL for exclusivity infringe on some monopoly law or sumthin? They have completely squashed their cheaper competition and can now continue to charge their high prices. S**t really pisses me off.

BORNGD
12-21-2004, 01:31 PM
thank goodness!

RockTheCasba
12-21-2004, 01:33 PM
man thats a sigh of relief. man i bet they r gonna try 2 buy baseball rights 2

Echoes
12-21-2004, 03:09 PM
Lol you rule nba

mattgame
12-21-2004, 03:22 PM
Don't give in NBA please!!!!!!

ramprider0
12-21-2004, 05:25 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Take that EA!

Hugopolo
12-22-2004, 08:44 AM
This is great news I love the nba2k franchise.

mattgame
12-22-2004, 08:51 AM
EA has brought the rights to my moms ass.

ShaDovV RyDer
12-22-2004, 09:24 AM
I think they might have just crossed the line for me when the went for the NBA...I can understand how they got the NFL but why even try to go after the NBA...Come on EA you have bought enough into enough companies in the past week so give it a rest please. while we are on the subject could someone resise this thing for me?

http://www.miamihost.net/ims/u/Carrot/Stop%20EA/StopEA.gif

I wanna wear that as an avator :)

cuda_man
12-23-2004, 02:03 AM
The NFL license wasn't the first time EA got an exclusive, they got the exclusive rights to produce NASCAR games till 2008, hammering in the final nail in Papyrus's coffin :(

Having to put up with EA's NASCAR series on the PC is pathetic. Since they began making PC NASCAR games they never have gotten it right, especially on restrictor-place tracks like Daytona and Talladega, the cars separate and run around following one another with no passing or drafts of more that two cars, unlike the Papyrus games in which drafting and the bunched-up door-to-door restrictor-plate racing was much more realistic.

Looks like EA would rather eliminate the competition instead of developing a superior product.