PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Controller (curious Aussie)

Malachi
02-06-2002, 06:26 AM
Hey again.

Have any of you guys had any problems with the size or button layout of the Xbox controller?

I'm waiting for the release of the Xbox here, and I keep hearing stories about how ppl had to "get used to" the button layout and\or the size of the control itself.

I have seen shots of ppl holding the US control and it dosent seem that big. No bigger than the DC's that's almost for sure.

Anyhoo...any feedback would be good.
Thanks.:)

darianX
02-06-2002, 09:16 AM
I've never had any problems...it always felt good in my hands. Matter of fact, it reminded me of my Gravis Xterminator for the pc. The button layout is ok..the only probs I had were games that use the white button a lot..it is kinda hard to reach for repeatedly. But you can adjust your hand to make up for it.

The above is speaking of the official controller, not aftermarket. I played with a 3rd party controller and found the button layouts were a lot harder than the "real" one. Grag a hold of one at a demo kiosk and try it out...keep in mind that it feels better without being mounted on that stiff bar :)

l Maximus l
02-06-2002, 12:08 PM
Hey, Malachi...dude, I love the XBox controller. Yes, it takes a few minutes to get used to...but, you would expect this with any other new controller. One of the biggest impressions that the exceptional XBox controller gave me is that my hands have never ached or hurt...even after playing for a straight 9 hours!

One thing is for sure, the XBox controllers DO NOT feel cheap in any way. Admittingly, after playing on the XBox controller, every single controller I have ever played with on any other gaming system feels like cheap junk! No joke!

I remember absolutely loving both the DC and the N64 controllers...but, recently, I picked up both of them and they both feel like the biggest hunks of junk I have ever held. (That may be going a little far, but, they don't hold water to the XBox controller).

The cheapest feeling controller I have ever touched in my 20-year gaming tenure is the new GameCube controller!!! That thing is utterly blasphemous! It feels and even looks like (in person) that it was constructed by a handful of 3 year olds. And, then, wait until you actually pick one of those up! Ah, man..it really hugs nutz!

If you are a fan of the DC controller, you will almost faint when you first pick up the XBox controller. Keep in mind that both of the joysticks are also buttons...this took me a few minutes to figure out. You will use them a lot in Halo, for example...that game should be your very first one, dude!

Woocifer
02-06-2002, 12:25 PM
THe Xbox controller is one of the most comfortable controllers I've ever used. The idea that it is too big is because the munchkins can't hold it. I personally have big hands, but really do you need to be able to wrap your hands RIGHT around this thing?

It's constructed to taper to the actual grip of your hand and is EXTREMELY sturdy. This is one of the best feeling controllers I've ever used. It's think, it's got meat to it and the buttons look like jellybeans yum haha.... Anyway the button layout is very close together so you might scramble here and there but it's not as bad as people say it is. The buttons even press down and feel good. I dont know if you know what I mean, but think about keyboards...some press really nice, smooth and consistantly, whereas other keyboards are really springy or very dull or just ****ty. So basically the quality is there, the cords are long, they have breakaway cables so if you have an idiot friend that trips of them, the xbox doesnt go fly with the controller cord. They thought this controller out well. Oh yeah and the triggers are very fluid and have good resistance, nothing like the DC or the horrible Gamecube ones.

I found the gamecube controller to be rediculous...I hate it personally. Don't mind the system, but the controllers have to go.

Hugh_Jass
02-06-2002, 07:19 PM
I was immediately as one with the MS XBOX controller. It feels comfortable and I never suffer from fatigue regardless of how long I play. I'm curious about third party controllers but not enough to actually go out and buy one. I am satisfied.

Malachi
02-07-2002, 06:58 AM
Hey thanks guys! I never expected such great responses.

Wow, 9 hours straight and no aching! That has to be a first for ANY controller I think.

Everyone has been going on about how some Madcatz controller is so great or something, but I don't trust 3rd party hardware, so I was interested in know how real gamers felt the official controller stood up to the test. (Since where I live doesn't have many demo kiosks......but that might change with the release of the Xbox me thinks....)

Now I know! Thanks fellas, that was really top notch. I now have no worries about the controller (expect for the fact that I can't bloody own one yet.... :\ )

P.S. The GC controller looks like it would be an absolute CHORE to use if you ask me....heh!