PDA

View Full Version : Class action lawsuit against Microsoft

VitamiN H
01-06-2005, 04:38 PM
Hey,

Im looking to start a class action lawsuit against microsoft concerning that fact that recent studies have shown that playing DVDs destroys its laser reader. Im really pissed off because my xbox lags too much to go on live and it tells me that games fresh out of the box are dirty or damaged. I always wondered why it did this, and now that I know why I want microsoft to pay for it. The xbox is advertised to be able to play DVDs so im not paying $80 to get is fixed when its an internal flaw that the piece of crap came with.

If anyone else has the same problem and it makes them want to beat thier xbox with a hammer, contact me. I am seriously considering starting a lawsuit, because thats absolutly rediculous.

LiquidX
01-06-2005, 04:45 PM
Never heard of a study supporting that. If you have a launch Xbox with a Thompson drive MS will usually fix it for free. Just call them up ***** them out. I have a Philips drive thats been going strong for nearly 3 years. The Samsungs are better than the Philips. There havent been any major problems with anything other than the Thompson drives.

And if you think you can take on MS you need a reality check.

VitamiN H
01-06-2005, 04:49 PM
There was a study..... its the reason why sony came out with the new, thinner playstation 2's.

MixMasta
01-06-2005, 04:50 PM
Dude that is your fault you n00b. pr0n dVDS are known to be damaging, so lay off the pr0n on the xbox.

LiquidX
01-06-2005, 04:58 PM
There was a study..... its the reason why sony came out with the new, thinner playstation 2's.

What study? Show me a link and I will stop thinking youre making **** up.

And Sony came out with the thinner PS2's to combat the release of Halo 2. They would rather their fanbase buy the same system twice than buy an Xbox to have fun with Halo 2 on Live.

VitamiN H
01-06-2005, 05:00 PM
Your an idiot. If you were going to insult me you could have atleast been creative so i could have a good laugh. And as for being a n00b, thats not even an insult... that just means i dont just sit around on my @ss staring at a computer all day posting in forums to pretend like i have friends and clutch desperately onto to false human contact. So why down you crawl back into the foreboding depths of your mothers basement and play dungeons and dragons, because the world doesnt want you. Loser.

VitamiN H
01-06-2005, 05:01 PM
Im not sure where the study is... if i find a link ill send it...... i actually heard about the study on the 6 o'clock news.

AlphaRaptor
01-06-2005, 05:10 PM
Your an idiot. If you were going to insult me you could have atleast been creative so i could have a good laugh. And as for being a n00b, thats not even an insult... that just means i dont just sit around on my @ss staring at a computer all day posting in forums to pretend like i have friends and clutch desperately onto to false human contact. So why down you crawl back into the foreboding depths of your mothers basement and play dungeons and dragons, because the world doesnt want you. Loser.
Im not gonna take any sides here but...Im sorry, that was one of those classic lame come backs... :whistle:

BananaMan
01-06-2005, 05:36 PM
right so on your 6 o clock news they showed a study about how xbox dvd lasers are being destroyed by playing dvds? quit being a whiny little ***** and take it to the store and return it.

LTM360
01-06-2005, 05:48 PM
Your Xbox broke, get over it. Besides, someone has already started a lawsuit "on behalf of all Xbox owners" for the DVD Lasers. I have yet to get my $300 check in the mail. (im not part of the suit but if he wins, I want my damn share)

SPARTAN VI
01-06-2005, 06:07 PM
Maturity seems to be lacking lately. I'm not even talking about Vitamin.

I don't know a whole lot about the Xbox warranties, but I do know my Xbox was under a lifetime warranty. Just called 1-800-4-MY-XBOX and MS sent us a box and repaired it for free. This was 2 years after we bought the thing.

Actually, they would have fixed my Xbox if my sister's friend hadn't tampered with the stickers.

If you're paying $80 to get your Xbox fixed, sounds like you're trying to do it yourself. I could buy a replacement DVD drive for $50 and the proper equipment and fix it myself for less than $80. So is MS charging you $80?

Lastly, I may just keep this thread open so vitamin can answer my question. That does mean another mod might close this.

Reclaimer
01-06-2005, 06:21 PM
I doubt there was a study. The slimline PS2 is a sales measure, not anything to do with DVD's not being played on a Xbox.

Im really pissed off because my xbox lags too much to go on live
Your Xbox lagging on Xbox live makes no sense. Lag? Talk to your ISP. Your Xbox has no part of that.

By the way, Microsoft did solve the problem. They switch DVD drives in later models.

Echoes
01-06-2005, 09:57 PM
Your lawyer will cost more than 80 dollars..

mrmp3
01-06-2005, 10:00 PM
Actually that's not entirely false. I know for a while when on my first system all of a sudden the FPS on RS3 was noticeably slower. If he's saying like his connection speed is slow, then that's all your ISP. But for some reason, System Link and XBL for anygame just was incredibly slow. Like stutter speed like when you play Doom 3 on a 5 year old computer. I figured it was the disc but tried out two of my friends and same problem. Got it replaced and lo' an behold problem gone. No idea what was wrong. I'm not talking like it was unplayable but the framerate wasn't up to it's usual snuff in XBL/System Link. Split Screen and 4 player co-op was fine though.

As for it breaking though and sueing, hey it happens. Xbox from what the guys at EB and Gamestop told me, has the lowest return rate out of all the systems. Not trade ins, but in terms of busted systems and needing to get replacements. I had a launch Xbox that lasted a little over 2 years. My problem wasn't the DDE, but if I left my system idle or at the pause screen more than 30 seconds, the game would have an error and my xbox would shut down. I replaced my launch PS2 from Oct. 2000 twice and don't wanna replace it a third time cuz it's just not worth it anymore. Things break, not everything is perfect. For the guy doing that lawsuit, A+ for effort but your just wasting your time. Just get a replacement. They aren't that much. Just be thankful the Xbox has lots of less faults than Windows.

mattgame
01-06-2005, 10:11 PM
I will join the suit if it is guaranteed that I will get free games for life.

BananaMan
01-06-2005, 10:21 PM
I doubt there was a study. The slimline PS2 is a sales measure, not anything to do with DVD's not being played on a Xbox.

Your Xbox lagging on Xbox live makes no sense. Lag? Talk to your ISP. Your Xbox has no part of that.

By the way, Microsoft did solve the problem. They switch DVD drives in later models.
i think he's talking about like i've experienced it on rainbow six 3 where it'll freeze up. system lag.

Variation-XBA
01-07-2005, 12:03 AM
Wow...worst idea ever, since you will never do anything about it

Sammael
01-07-2005, 07:46 AM
MS will crush you like the insignificant bug that you are!!! Mwahahahaa

SgtSavage
01-07-2005, 08:11 AM

I'm sorry Mix but you were Owned!!

Sammael
01-07-2005, 08:14 AM
I'm sorry Mix but you were Owned!!

Excellent post! Way to help the situation at hand! :rolleyes:

Casper
01-07-2005, 11:34 AM
Excellent post! Way to help the situation at hand! :rolleyes:
And what is this? Shut it, hypocrite.

As for the lawsuit, you gotta be kidding me that you think you'll be able to win against MS.

Save yourself the money and heartache and go spend $140 on a new one - or buy a new laser and fix it yourself. But even Johnnie Cochran couldn't win this case for you.

OC Noob
01-07-2005, 09:11 PM
Lol, the go back to your moms basement is a classic. It never gets old, IMO.

Anyway, that whole "study" will be crapola until someone can provide credible information on it. i.e. a link.

Reclaimer
01-07-2005, 09:27 PM
I never saw the system lag issue because once I figured my launch Xbox was going to crap I went out and bought a Halo ED Xbox. That was when I first got Live so I was playing Live for the first time on it. My launch box never touched Black Arrow or Rainbow Six.
I am taking the examples of the lag that was stating and I've never seen real system lag on the launch box on any games I had in the past.. unless you count the lag out on Halo when you melee dead enemies repeatedly.
However, if it was there, I guess it was, I just never experienced it.

So, I have two Xboxes. One for live and normal duty and the other I just keep around and mess around with it. Taking it apart and fooling around with the insides of it. I hardly mess with it anymore.

Anyway, the laser problem? You can find the laser head reader for around 30 bucks USD for the Thomson drive.
Or you can buy the new Xboxes.. Gamestop around my area has refurbished with warranties for 99 bucks.
Either way, you can start a class action law suit. However, your lawyer fees will outweigh in the end what you will get back in return.
Think about it.. you're going to pay a guy a few grand off the bat and keep paying him a boatload of money for a long time because CAL's aren't a speedy process. It'll take a very long time. I've participated in a few.. never as the initiater.. just as a participant through notification of ownership, and it takes a very long time.
What if you win? You'll spend a whole lot of money for very little if anything in return.
Then consider that you're going to go against Microsoft. A group that has practically infinite assets and very good legal protection. That's a one way battle even if you just want to go for it out of pure cause.

Do what you want, but it's just easier to get a new Xbox.

SamSmith
01-08-2005, 01:32 PM
same thing happened to my old ps2... got the new slim one now... i dont go near it... i got 1 xbox, and then another.. so thats 2.... *well done me!*

Conchord
01-08-2005, 07:48 PM
same thing happened to my old ps2... got the new slim one now... i dont go near it... i got 1 xbox, and then another.. so thats 2.... *well done me!*

Vitamin, why dont you just get your xbox fixed?

18004myxbox

E Nomini Patri
01-09-2005, 12:09 AM
Vitamin, if your car runs out of gas are you going to sue the car company because your car stopped driving?

Exactly.

super_ryu
01-09-2005, 02:01 AM
Apparently you're a n00b and a dumbass. I suggest you slap yourself a few time before you ever think about a Class action lawsuit against Microsoft. Not only is Microsoft rich and can afford the best lawyers, no lawyer in his right mind would pick up your case about a defective Xbox with an angry (possibly mental) owner.
I bought my Xbox at the launch, and it has the Thompson drive. My Xbox still works perfectly well, and there has been no problems so far. I recommend you send it in, even though theres a possibility that there will cost money for repairs, that's the best you can do.

The Jackal
01-09-2005, 03:51 AM
:rofl: lawsuit against Microsoft haha... thanks, havent laughed like that in a long time... anyways, thats a joke to sue them for that reason... theres a warranty for xbox which nowhere states they are liable if another product, which is not a Microsoft product, damages the Xbox... there is no contract or any written statement anywhere stating they are liable if playing dvds damages the xbox's laser reader... just because some study shows something doesnt mean you can file a lawsuit against just anyone... using the car as an example again, if you put sh*tty gas in a car which eventually hurts the car and makes it malfunction, this does not entitle you to a thing... you WILL LOSE if you go against microsoft and even if in some crazy way you did manage to win, which wont happen ever, you would only be entitled to a new Xbox and maybe some legal fees... no more and no less... this is a joke of a lawsuit... it isnt even a lawsuit... its just a joke... who would think to take Microsoft to small claims court, and believe me this would only go to a court that high... does Microsoft say anywhere they are liable to anything more than replacing an Xbox under the 90 day warranty or 2 year extended warranty if something goes wrong? NO!... you lose and i just saved you the time and heartache of suing one of the biggest companies in the world, losing miserably, and in the end costing you more in legal fees than it would have cost to buy a new laser reader or new Xbox

Whisper
01-09-2005, 07:17 AM
i dont think you will get much support here

TGTBT
01-09-2005, 02:10 PM
Just clean the thing, take it apart and clean, that's what i Did and now mine works!

faceoff508
01-09-2005, 07:57 PM
I hve the same problem, my games freeze, because it says the disc is dirty or damaged. Sometimes I can get through for a while but not for long. I have 25 drops on ESPN 2K5 for that reason. I bought a laser cleaner didn't help much. i think this is only for the old Xboxes.