PDA

View Full Version : xbox overheating

SamSmith
01-08-2005, 07:48 AM
evrytime i play it for a while, on live and all... and then turn it off and try to turn it back on, the overheating red light comes on... so i have to switch it off and leave it for ages until it cools.... it might have something to do with me opening the console....... anyone else have the same problem.

Cloud Wolf
01-08-2005, 07:51 AM
Your fan may be broken or there could be an error inside take it to a game shop and see if they will tell you what the problem is and if they can fix it, the same thing happend to my PS2 to much dust got in and ****ed my fan up.

SamSmith
01-08-2005, 08:23 AM
yeah... it must be dust...... i check it out

Xer0Mercy
01-08-2005, 01:20 PM
Buy a can of air and clean out your Xbox using that. That's what I use when my computer gets dusty.

ll Mista GT ll
01-08-2005, 01:37 PM
Buy a can of air and clean out your Xbox using that. That's what I use when my computer gets dusty.

He he, "can of air"! :rofl:

If that does not work, There are seperate add-on fans you can buy off ebay for about 20$ !!!

SPARTAN VI
01-08-2005, 05:58 PM
How do you know it's overheating? I thought the red light just meant serious trouble, but not anything specific.

Reclaimer
01-08-2005, 07:27 PM
Red light means serious internal problems that require repair.
Orange light means user fixable problem.

Over heating means that one of the two fans, or both have gone kaput.
Plug in your Xbox and turn it on anway. Does the rear case fan turn?
Remove the lid since you already did in the past and pull out the DVDROM and HDD trays.. carefully... still plugged in and turn it on. Does the tiny CPU fan turn?

Make sure both fans are firmly plugged in. Both fans use the tiny 3 pin plugs.. I think the case fan might have two wires.. red and black though. Eitherway, they are tiny plugs and they both plug into the motherboard pretty close to each other. (Don't switch the sockets) Make sure they're both still plugged in.

Of course, this is still assuming it's an overheat. The red light means a lot of things. But an overheat is more likely to be the CPU fan being out than the rear fan.

TGTBT
01-08-2005, 08:20 PM
I would think that if you already took it apart, that something messed up when you put it back together. My suggestion would be to disconnect and reassemble.

SamSmith
01-09-2005, 06:50 AM
ohhh... maybe i plugged something in to the wrong place... maybe i think i might go back and see if i can fix it... thanks for help!

Variation-XBA
01-09-2005, 02:33 PM
Make sure it's not on the carpet either, that's a killer

SamSmith
01-09-2005, 03:36 PM
okay, thanks for the help everyone!

Holt88
01-09-2005, 03:58 PM
If you weren't all the way in Ireland but around the NY/NJ area, I'd come fix it for you. Post what happens when you take a look at it again.

SamSmith
01-10-2005, 10:01 AM
youd do that?? thanks... well il see if i can fix it when im back home tomorrow... thanks

Reclaimer
01-10-2005, 10:48 AM
youd do that?? thanks... well il see if i can fix it when im back home tomorrow... thanks

Yeah, let us know how it goes. I'm willing to help you get on the right track.
I've torn down and rebuilt my other Xbox and did stuff to it a million times.

CMX Jedi
01-10-2005, 11:37 AM
Over heating means that one of the two fans, or both have gone kaput.
Plug in your Xbox and turn it on anway. Does the rear case fan turn?
Remove the lid since you already did in the past and pull out the DVDROM and HDD trays.. carefully... still plugged in and turn it on. Does the tiny CPU fan turn?
theres only 1 fan in the xbox, the rear fan is put right behind the heatsink for the cpu.

Reclaimer
01-10-2005, 11:56 AM
theres only 1 fan in the xbox, the rear fan is put right behind the heatsink for the cpu.

There's a case fan in the back and a small fan on the GPU. The CPU has a large heatsink without a fan. The smaller heatsink next to it is the GPU that has a tiny fan mounted on top with the screws that fit into the fins of the heatsink.

There are 2 fans, I'm at home right now and I pulled the lid off the other Xbox.
Where I mentioned it was the CPU, I made a mistake. However there are 2 fans in there.

See? This is a picture I sent from my camera phone.

Reclaimer
01-10-2005, 12:01 PM
Just in case you don't see the other fan.
Those are the 2 fans. I installed a larger case fan, but the GPU fan remains the same. However I did go as far as taking the sinks off and cleaning up the chips and laying down some articsilver. The GPU fan is stock, I tried to replace it with a fan I had from a external drive, but the stock fan spins faster so I kept it.

Reclaimer
01-10-2005, 12:13 PM
Both fans plug into the motherboard at the back of the case at the rear wall.
The AV plug for your TV is the silver box in the back ledge.
If you where to stand in front of the Xbox, DVD drive to you, the case fan plugs in on the 3 pin plug on the right side and the GPU fan plugs into the 3pin on the left of the silver box.

DISCLAIMER:
We do not allow the discussion of software modding or piracy. However we have and normally allow discussions of case modding because case modding is fine and doesn't break laws and what not.

In fact we had considered showcasing members work on cases, such as skins and lights and stuff.

As long as you don't talk about mod chips, piracy, software mods and hacks.. I don't care. Skins, fans, lights, whatever.. hell don't even mention hard drives and we'll be fine.

CMX Jedi
01-10-2005, 02:10 PM
it has 2 larg heatsinks and no fan just the rear one.
mine must be an old version. :confused:

Reclaimer
01-10-2005, 07:30 PM
it has 2 larg heatsinks and no fan just the rear one.
mine must be an old version. :confused:

Mine is the first run launch model.

CMX Jedi
01-10-2005, 09:26 PM
they must of did that to cut costs on makeing them.

Reclaimer
01-10-2005, 09:47 PM
they must of did that to cut costs on makeing them.

Well, they made several small changes to the Xbox throughout it's production. Perhaps to save money, or promote efficiency. They dumped the GPU fan, changed DVDROM's 3 times, changed HDDs twice, and changed PSU's twice.