PDA

View Full Version : Dell HDTV LCD TV's with an XBOX (480P Mode) must read this!!!

cybrdude
01-10-2005, 07:56 PM
Anyone considering using the Dell HDTV LCD TV's with an XBOX (480P Mode) must read this.

I purchased the Dell W2300 23 inch HDTV LCD TV on December 3rd. I purchased the unit to replace my awesome Sony SDM-V72W 17 inch Widescreen HDTV LCD Monitor as I needed a larger display for XBOX and PC gaming. Unforunately the Dell HDTV LCD has serious issues with the 480P signal generated by XBOX. When using games, in this case HALO2, the image would be VERY dark. Sometimes a little dark, then other times VERY dark (could not see a thing). I would have to reset the unit by turning the power on and off. Then when lighting was OK, shaded areas would be tooooo dark. I talked with Dell support and they acted like they knew nothing, which was BS as you could find posting of users on their forum who RMA'd their units to still have the issue.

It appears someone at Dell has slipped in their test plan when evaluting the products from Philips. They only tested set top boxes. The XBOX has been on the market since 11-15-2001, no excuse for NOT testing. As an FAE for a RAID Controller company who sells product to Dell I am very surprised as their requirements for vendors are VERY HIGH.

After a few weeks of being pissed when playing HALO2 on LIVE, I sold the unit for a loss of 150.00 and purchased the Olevia 27 inch Widescreen HDTV LCD for 899.99 from Frys (Dec 17th). I have been happy ever since.

**Problem occurs on the W1700, W1900, and W2300. The W3000 has other issues reported such as serious noise in the signal. The W2600 is the 2nd generation of Dell HDTV LCD TV's. I have not found any reports with this unit yet.

Why did I post this? Because we take care of our OWN!!

Late..
:watchout:

Variation-XBA
01-10-2005, 08:03 PM
Why would you buy anything Dell? :P jk, sucks to hear though.

cybrdude
01-10-2005, 08:09 PM
Why would you buy anything Dell? :P jk, sucks to hear though.

I hear ya, but the Dell panel is Philips made, not Dell made. Philips makes decents products plus the unit was 900.00 (not a bad price). And with Dell's tight Vendor requirements I figured the unit would be cool, I was so WRONG. Plus I had never heard of any 480P XBOX issues...

Late..

Stifler
01-10-2005, 09:44 PM
Who the **** would buy a Dell TV? You can barely trust their asses with PCs.

cybrdude
01-10-2005, 10:03 PM
Who the **** would buy a Dell TV? You can barely trust their asses with PCs.

A recap: Dell LCD TV's are made by Philips.. Dell PC I would never own as I build my own. But for you knowledge, Dell uses Intel "made" motherboards, products from Nvdia, ATI, and Creative.. Not much different from whitebox PC's the average user could build themselves. The problem with Dell PC's is their marketing and "USERS" (clueless)..

Late...

Casper
01-10-2005, 10:22 PM
Dell is actually pretty reliable - for their hardware, but that's why they don't make their own monitor. And saying Phillips and Xbox in the same sentence and thinking it's going to be reliable and working fine is a joke as it is.

Anyways, why waste the money on a LCD monitor for XBox gaming when you could have just saved up and bought a nice TV to use with your Xbox, cable/satellite and then hookd your PC up so you can use it on your TV? All-in-Wonder cards rock like that. That's what I would have done. I have an LCD for my PC, but in no way would I ever think I'd want to play my Xbox on it...

blonks
01-10-2005, 10:25 PM
one dell product ill reccomend is the DJ... i bought a first gen DJ 15 and i like it better then an ipod

cybrdude
01-10-2005, 10:36 PM
Dell is actually pretty reliable - for their hardware, but that's why they don't make their own monitor. And saying Phillips and Xbox in the same sentence and thinking it's going to be reliable and working fine is a joke as it is.

Anyways, why waste the money on a LCD monitor for XBox gaming when you could have just saved up and bought a nice TV to use with your Xbox, cable/satellite and then hookd your PC up so you can use it on your TV? All-in-Wonder cards rock like that. That's what I would have done. I have an LCD for my PC, but in no way would I ever think I'd want to play my Xbox on it...

I had an All in Wonder 9800.. The HDTV output is ok, not great... Philips has a good rep for displays. I never said Philips and XBOX were great together or sounded great together. There is NO WAY I would use a crappy projection TV, None.. And why would a want a huge projection or CRT TV (Projection images suffer from lack of light and color -CRT HD screens have "GLASS", yuk) at my desk? My display is PERSONAL.

http://us.f3.yahoofs.com/users/41c3a4d7zf06cec5a/afc9/__sr_/392e.jpg?ph.014BBeKU_CyTV

DLP Flat Panels are still expensive so finding good HDTV LCD's is the best you can do now, unless you are willing to waste money on technology that will come down in price soon. Not to mention the LCD you use for your PC is most likely a standard LCD, not a HD LCD, big difference.

Later..

Stifler
01-11-2005, 10:11 AM
A recap: Dell LCD TV's are made by Philips.. Dell PC I would never own as I build my own. But for you knowledge, Dell uses Intel "made" motherboards, products from Nvdia, ATI, and Creative.. Not much different from whitebox PC's the average user could build themselves. The problem with Dell PC's is their marketing and "USERS" (clueless)..

Late...
A recap: Philips is **** too

cybrdude
01-11-2005, 12:03 PM
A recap: Philips is **** too

Ohh OK genius. So Sony, LG, Sharp, and others are crap too? What ever! What TV or Display do you have?

With a name like Stifler, no responses are NO REAL surprise.

Late..

LiquidGuy
01-11-2005, 06:52 PM
Ohh OK genius. So Sony, LG, Sharp, and others are crap too? What ever! What TV or Display do you have?

With a name like Stifler, no responses are NO REAL surprise.

Late..

I agree with cyberdude, if you know not what you say then why say it at all!?!?

Philips, is no different than Panasonic, or sony and is actually better than the inferior products sold on HSN for cheap prices that have great SPECS like 16/FPS with a 500-1 contrast ratio

I own a 4 philips speakers and a sub woofer that take 80 watts per channel and Sub-woofer stands alone at a decent 100w's! Hasn't failed me yet

cybrdude
01-11-2005, 07:16 PM
I agree with cyberdude, if you know not what you say then why say it at all!?!?

Philips, is no different than Panasonic, or sony and is actually better than the inferior products sold on HSN for cheap prices that have great SPECS like 16/FPS with a 500-1 contrast ratio

I own a 4 philips speakers and a sub woofer that take 80 watts per channel and Sub-woofer stands alone at a decent 100w's! Hasn't failed me yet

I own several Philips products including a Progressive Scan DVD Player. Overall they have good products and a good reputation.

Stifler, this thread is about warning "others". Taking care of our own!

Late..

DocHoliday78
01-11-2005, 08:20 PM
Ahh man that is no goo for you, i wonder if you could complain n get a refund or be compensated

cybrdude
01-11-2005, 11:03 PM
Ahh man that is no goo for you, i wonder if you could complain n get a refund or be compensated

I wish I could! :)

That is why I am on this compaign to educate... But I will be visting Dell for business later this month.. I plan on talking with the display group about this issue...

Late..