PDA

View Full Version : Xsn

SamSmith
01-24-2005, 01:40 PM
as im sure you are aware, the brilliant xsn sports range has for some reason been sold off by MS... i believe to take2/ rockstar games... i am against this move.... we had some great exclusive titles like amped, links and top spin.... now that it has gone to rockstar will the quality of previous games prevail?? will they be xbox exclusive anymore? anyone know?

ShannonX
01-24-2005, 06:10 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/03/30/news_6092505.html

it was not sold to anybody, it was taking a breather.

Casper
01-24-2005, 06:58 PM
Shannon, that's from 03/04, way old :)

As of Dec/04, Sam's right:

Microsoft seemingly gets out of sports games entirely by selling off the studios responsible for Amped and Top Spin...

ADVERTISEMENT

Made public by Take-Two recently was the announcement that they had acquired Indie Build (Amped, Links) located in Salt Lake City and Paris-based Power and Magic Developments (Top Spin) from Microsoft. It is unknown whether the companies would be published under the Rockstar Games, Gathering, or Global Star label. This sale was finalized sometime between August and September.

This latest move is likely the last in a year that has seen Microsoft Game Studios cut back on its internal development sharply, likely an attempt to make the division profitable. First, in February, Microsoft cancelled development on the PC MMORPG Mythica (the same that Mythic Entertainment had sued Microsoft over its title). Then in March, they renounced the publishing rights for both Psychonauts and Oddworld Stranger (which have since been picked up by Double-fine Productions and Electronic Arts, respectively). Then, in June, Microsoft cancelled its Xbox MMORPG True Fantasy Live Online. Finally, in August they eliminated their XSN Sports Department responsible for NFL Fever, NHL Rivals and Inside Drive and likely sold Indie Build and Power and Magic Developments at about the same time.

http://gamesdomain.yahoo.com/article/57606

ShannonX
01-24-2005, 08:13 PM
well, they sold off the rights to those games, not XSN. Specially since you can still do XSN things with rallisport challenge 2. In that post it says they eliminated the XSN department, not sold it. Seperate developers created the games. Rallisport Challenge/2 being created by the same guys who created the Battlefield series. (not microsoft), and yet it is part of XSN.

Yes, they did have an XSN department, but they focused on the above mentioned games. NFL Fever, NHL Rivals and Inside Drive. But XSN incorporated all the sports games that microsoft published, not necessarily developed.

Variation-XBA
01-24-2005, 09:18 PM
Hrm interesting, wonder how this will affect the series, if at all.

mattgame
01-24-2005, 09:47 PM
I thought this was gonna be good news.:(

heartsfan
01-25-2005, 08:49 AM
Shame...XSN has potential no doubt about that.

Perhaps something to do with EA Sports arriving and Live enabled? :watchout:

mattgame
01-30-2005, 08:02 PM
I just went and bought NFL Fever again. I swear I love that game. I'm gonna get Inside Drive again too. I'm gonna miss those games.

CrazyCougar
01-30-2005, 08:20 PM
The XSN system stills works though, for now anyhow. I use it for Links and Rallisport. but all the titles are still listed on the XSN website as being active. It definitely was a good thing, when it worked. Unfortunately, MS didnt have a very good grasp on it because half the time the site didnt work very well. Scores didnt report, leagues vanished, etc...

mattgame
01-30-2005, 08:32 PM
Oh yeah, I'm gonna go on later and check it out.

Xer0Mercy
01-30-2005, 11:12 PM
I never really liked XSN games. I guess they thought they couldn't compete with EA, so they got out. Not a bad choice, if I do say so myself.

CrazyCougar
01-30-2005, 11:43 PM
Rivals, Inside Pitch and Fever were horrible attempts to break into the major sports arena. And its shows now as they failed miserably. But XSN was very good with Links, Rallisport and Amped2.

mattgame
01-31-2005, 07:19 AM
Do you think the passing in Fever was groundbreaking? I think that feature beats any other passing in any football game hands down.

CrazyCougar
01-31-2005, 01:00 PM
The read in lead was nice, but I didnt think it was that different from previous lead passing in other games such as ESPN advanced passing system. But the overall gameplay of Fever i just couldnt swallow.

ShaDovV RyDer
01-31-2005, 04:44 PM
The only games I really liked that used the XSN system were Links, Amped2, and TopSpin...all the other games just seemed like they weren't up to par with their SEGA and EA competitors. Its a shame to see the XSN system leave so quickly but it was probably for the best. I guess we can only hope that Take2 lets another Amped Topspin and Links come out.

SamSmith
01-31-2005, 04:51 PM
RSC2----amped2 links and top spin were in my view some of the best sports games on xbox... hope they are as good as they have been, and i hope that they remain xbox exclusive they better not be dumbed down for ps2