PDA

View Full Version : WWE Wrestlemania XXI... looking good? or another flop?

Young_Fledgling
02-02-2005, 05:31 PM
Well i pretty much swore to myself never to buy a wrestling game without renting it first... but every time one is coming out i buy it... GAH! :bang: Looks like it will be the same with this one. Here is all the info... and some screens.. my personal favs.

Publisher
THQ

Developer
Studio Gigante

Genre
Wrestling

Origin
USA

Number of Players
TBC

Rating
16+

Release Date - America
March 8th, 2005 *

Release Date - Europe
TBA, 2005 *

Percentage Complete
??%

* = Release dates are subject to change.

Gameplay
Included in the game are four different wrestler classes. Each class determines a unique movement style and grapple/attack preference.

The new 'Heat Meter' lets you know how well the crowd are reacting to the match and your superstar. The higher the meter is, the better the match is going. And when the meter is at it's fullest, you can pull off your special move.

Weight detection system considers the size and stature of a wrestler when determining the outcome of any wrestler-versus-wrestler interaction. So if Tajiri tried to lift the Big Show, he probably won't be able to pull it off.

Just like Smackdown and Day of Reckoning, this game features limb-specific damage. Work on your foe's leg and he'll be vulnerable to a leg submission move.

There are six different attributes per wrestler, each one has a distinct effect on playing the game. They are:

Stamina
This determines how much pain your superstar can take.

Speed
This allows you to move quicker around the ring and when climbing turnbuckles.

Strength
Sets the amount of damage your wrestler does after completing a move.

Submission
This gives your more skill in making your opponent tap out.

Countering
Your superstar will be more capable to reverse on-coming moves.

Charisma
The crowd will get behind you more, allowing you to build up heat quicker.

So if you were to play Kane, Stamina and Strength are likely to be high, while his speed would be low. Rey Mysterio, on the other hand, would have high Speed and high Carisma, but low Strength.

There are four types of grapple for each wrestler, these are 'Quick', 'Strong', 'Submission' and 'Speciality'. After performing one of these grapples, you're given another selection of moves to perform. Every wrestler in the game has an extensive movelist, to create a very realistic grappler.

There is support for all possible grapple states, including against the turnbuckle, against the ropes, ladder, outside of the ring, and so on.

Every move in the game can be countered or reversed with a respectable move (for example, reversing a piledriver into a backdrop), using the Pro Reversal System. This system allows for skilled players to reverse a grapple move or finisher during the course of the move, giving you a second chance to avoid a damaging attack.

Superstar-specific mannerisms, including taunts and fighting styles, bring life to each individual wrestling personality.

Exhibiton
We have no idea whether or not this is the final list of match types, but this is the list so far:
» Single
» Tag Team
» Handicap
» Triple Threat
» Fatal Four-Way
» Battle Royal
» Royal Rumble
Match Type Count: 7

Match Stipulations
Just like the match types, we're not sure on the final set of stipulations. We're almost certain it'll contain all the stipulations Smackdown! contains. Until then, though:
» Normal
» Hardcore
» Table
» Ladder
» TLC
» Cage
» Hell In A Cell
» Bra and Panties
Stipulation Count: 8

Fighting Arena
There will be 16 WWE arenas featured in WMXXI, and 12 PPV events. So far, we know the following are included:
» Gymnasium
» Training Facility (fully destructable)
» Civic Center
» Industrial Basement
» Wrestling Club
» HeAt
» Velocity
» RAW
» Smackdown!
» Armageddon
Arena Count: 10

Arena Details
Yes, not only do the in-game characters look fantastic, but the arenas that surround them also look the part. Details you'll notice around the environments are dynamic lighting effects (which affect the wrestlers in the ring, the crowd and the arena). Enhanced rope and turnbuckle features have also been tuned up on.

Career Mode
Like other career modes, this lets you take an existing superstar or a man-made creation from the bottom of the WWE ladder to the top, in a pit to become WWE World Champion.

"Our career mode doesn't focus on a rivalry between the two shows, although there is that underlying tension throughout." - John Tobias // Studio Gigante's Creative Director.

You can complete challenges in this mode. On successfully completing a challenge, you are rewarded with attribute points which you can use to upgrade your appearance, moves and/or entry to the ring.

Extensive use of cutscenes is used nicely in the career mode, as is a full set of voiceovers.

Create A Wrestler - a.k.a. CAW
We don't know much about this mode so far, but we do know that this mode has been massively expanded over the Xbox's RAW2. There's a huge selection of customisation options including body types/shapes, different costumes/designs and a selection of gear.

You can also take your created superstar through the offline Career Mode, to allow for gradual upgrades. As they progress through the mode, they'll evolve effectively and you'll unlock new moves and clothes throughout.

If that's too easy for your creation, though, take the challenge of defending your titles online with your CAW (you can also use in already-made wrestlers online, too).

Create A Championship (Belt) - a.k.a. CAB
You're now given the chance to engineer a Championship (Belt) of your own. You can choose specifically what the belt is to be made of, the style of face and side plates, and any additional things you wish to add to make the belt unique.

As you advance through the Career Mode, you'll unlock various belt parts which you can add to your Championship at any time. This will add to the belts value (making it more worthy of being challenged for).

At any time (in exhibition) the belt can be defended. Be it against your mate playing as Player 2 or against the computer, the option is yours. If you need more of a challenge, though, you can take your belt onto the internet and enter the online ring.

The Roster
Overall, there is to be around 35 male wrestlers, 6 divas and 5 legends. So far, we know the following superstars are set to feature in WMXXI.
» Batista
» Big Show
» Bubba Ray Dudley
» Chris Benoit
» Chris Jericho
» Christian
» Edge
» Hurricane Helms
» John Bradshaw Layfield (JBL)
» John Cena
» Kane
» Kurt Angle
» Randy Orton
» Rey Mysterio
» Rhyno
» Ric Flair
» Rob Van Dam (RVD)
» Shelton Benjamin
» Spike Dudley
» Stacy Keibler
» Triple H
Superstar Count: 21

Legends
» The Rock (circa 1997)
Legend Count: 1

Graphics
Studio Gigante have included bump-mapping to their new title, allowing for cloth wrinkles, extra muscle definition, veins and individual hair fibers. The new hair and cloth physics show a level of detail never seen before.

The new pixel shaders create dozens of surface effects, which makes for ultra-realistic highlighting on leather and the gloss of "oily" skin. Also using "per-pixel" lighting effects, the immediate lack of blockiness in the character models is obvious right away, making this game look more and more like the real thing.

Endomorph muscle flexing allows for chests to expand with each breath, biceps to bulge when flexed and calves to clench when the wrestler strains. Endomorph facial deformation makes for accurate lip-synching, and the ability to show lots of expressions on the wrestler's faces.

The crowd looks as if it's had just as much time taken on them as the in-game wrestlers have. With lots of individual animations and looks, these guys all react differently to what's going on in the game.

Online Options
Advancing over Smackdown Vs. RAW's online play, WMXXI supports up to four players via Xbox Live, where you can compete in most of the single player exhibition modes (the final match types available is still to be confirmed, however). You can also take your created championships (belts) online to increase its reknown and face-value (the more you win, the better it gets).

This mode also supports live videochat, which allows you to perform your own taunts and trash-talk.

The Sound
We do know that there will be 15 (with 4 exclusives) licensed songs on the soundtrack. However, we don't know what these songs are yet.

Commentating and voice-overs have been added, too, but has been vastly improved over SDvR. It includes over twice as many voice-overs and commentator phrases (provided by both teams of Tazz and Michael Cole, and Jim Ross and Jerry "The King" Lawler) and has very accurate lip-synch.

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2005/025/reviews/920641_20050126_screen001.jpg
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2005/006/920641_20040107b_screen003.jpg
http://xboxmedia.ign.com/xbox/image/article/582/582862/wwe-wrestlemania-21-20050126015628862.jpg
http://xboxmedia.ign.com/xbox/image/article/582/582878/wwe-wrestlemania-21-20050126023908229.jpg

Young_Fledgling
02-02-2005, 05:34 PM
http://xboxmedia.ign.com/xbox/image/article/582/582878/wwe-wrestlemania-21-20050126023911588.jpg
http://xboxmedia.ign.com/xbox/image/article/580/580516/wwe-wrestlemania-21-20050118013932124.jpg
http://xboxmedia.ign.com/xbox/image/article/577/577419/wwe-wrestlemania-21-20050104044354795.jpg

Yankeez
02-02-2005, 06:03 PM
I'm disappointed that its not more than 4 players online, but I'll still probably pick it up

thAshAdyOne
02-02-2005, 06:22 PM
i'm interested....it totally sucks that there's not a good wrestling game besides Smackdown

Flood
02-02-2005, 06:30 PM
THQ has a good track record...i think it will be good

Young_Fledgling
02-02-2005, 06:38 PM
lol .. everyone is getting sucked in.. lets hope we dont get let down like raw 2.

Variation-XBA
02-02-2005, 08:27 PM
Already paid for. The LIVE is what sold me.
Has it been confirmed that you can use your ripped music as your entrance music for your CAW?

Also waiting to see how the pro reversal works out as well. Can't wait....

AlBoogy
02-02-2005, 11:10 PM
Any Hollywood Hogan? I will preorder right now!

Casper
02-02-2005, 11:20 PM
If NWO is in this, I'll get it. I'm not interested in wrestling anymore, but I always the Wolfpack - Big Poppa Bump, Big Sexy Kevin Nash and Scotty Hall were the only reason I even stayed watching this soap opera of entertainment.

Young_Fledgling
02-02-2005, 11:38 PM
saw today that andre the giant and bret hart are included as legends. and supafly snuka. i will see if i can find more.

Variation-XBA
02-03-2005, 02:17 AM
Here's the final numbers breakdown:
Non-Playable Characters: 7
SmackDown Talent: 16
Raw Talent: 18
Divas: 6
Legends 6

Non-Playable
-----------------------------
Vince McMahon
Theodore "Teddy" Long
Jim Ross
Jerry "The King" Lawler
Tazz
Michael Cole
Eric Bischoff
Nick Patrick (Referee)

SmackDown Superstars
---------------------------
Big Show
Booker T
Bubba Ray Dudley
Charlie Haas
Chavo Guerrero
D-Von Dudley
Eddie Guerrero
JBL
John Cena
Kurt Angle
Rene Dupree
Rey Mysterio
Rob Van Dam
Scotty 2 Hotty
Spike Dudley
Undertaker

Raw Superstars
----------------------
Batista
Chris Benoit
Chris Jericho
Christian
Edge
Eugene
Garrison Cade
Hurricane
Kane
Matt Hardy
Randy Orton
Rhyno
Ric Flair
Shawn Michaels
Shelton Benjamin
Tajiri
Triple H
Val Venis

Divas
----------------
Jazz
Lita
Miss Jackie
Nidia
Stacy Keibler
Trish Stratus

My guess is since it's LIVE, I'm sure they might be able to make DLC for the future. *prey*

WillyV2
02-03-2005, 05:09 AM
I'll get this basically because it's online enabled

Reclaimer
02-03-2005, 06:53 AM
I'll get it. I love wrestling games. I loved Raw 2 despite it's glaring faults. Career mode was bad ass with 4 player co-op.
Maybe this will be the one true great wrestling game we deserve.

mattgame
02-03-2005, 07:28 AM
I'll give it a rent first. Wrestling games are fun but they lately seem to be lacking in too many areas.

WillyV2
02-03-2005, 08:43 AM
Wrestling game usually get old fast, but this one has the online features so I'll be playing it for a while

mitchrules1
02-03-2005, 10:29 AM
i'll be picking it up, as i to loved Raw 2

Young_Fledgling
02-03-2005, 10:40 AM
i will admit i played raw 2 alot... just cuz it was a new wrestling game. But it was pretty shabby. I hope to god this career mode kicks butt. Cuz i dont have online :( i am too cheap to get it :)

XTF
02-23-2005, 07:07 AM
is it me or is there a little amount of wrestlers?

i mean how many were there in raw 2 it seemed like alot...

also i hope they have raw and smackdown split up like how it is now.

matches..
i hope TLC is better than before.. i mean i loved raw 2 but the tlc matches sucked.. (its my favorite match type) i also like the 6 way battle royal.

they should throw in some good match types like 3 stages of hell, elim chamber and street fight ( if there is a backstage arena)

i hope alot of things are destructable and interactive too..
for example specials through tables, chairs, ladders.. throwing people out of the ring with a move, fighting in the crowd (i always wanted to do that)

Spaztic
02-23-2005, 08:53 AM
I am getting it becuase I am a sucker for wrestling games. The other two were not the best but not as bad as some said....

Variation-XBA
02-23-2005, 08:53 PM
I am getting it becuase I am a sucker for wrestling games. The other two were not the best but not as bad as some said....
You sure you played the same RAW games as us? 0_o

XTF
02-24-2005, 09:00 AM
dammit the game was delayed... release was supposed to be march 8 now its the 28...

DocHoliday78
02-27-2005, 08:08 PM
I think raw 2 was better then most people gave it credit for (which is nothing) but i beleive this game will be good. I am hoping, thats for damn sure. I am gonna wait though untill i start seeing some reviews besides ign who gave raw 1 i belive a 9.1

lllSmokelll
02-27-2005, 08:33 PM
I think raw 2 was better then most people gave it credit for (which is nothing) but i beleive this game will be good. I am hoping, thats for damn sure. I am gonna wait though untill i start seeing some reviews besides ign who gave raw 1 i belive a 9.1
no way man istill have raw 2, i actally wanted to play it a couple weeks ago and got sick of the game during the first match, last good wrestling game ive owned was Smackdown 2 for PSX, that game was diferent i could play it over and over

XTF
02-28-2005, 08:41 AM
i still play that game...
**** is awesome

Yankeez
02-28-2005, 09:58 AM
Bad news the game got delayed 4 more weeks

https://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/246452.asp

DocHoliday78
02-28-2005, 10:13 AM
apparently it has been delayed longer then we knew yankz becasue YF asked a question why it was delayed in Recs interview thread before it was locked....

mattgame
02-28-2005, 10:40 AM
I think it's going to be teh hotness when it comes out. I'm sure the bugs will be worked out.

Young_Fledgling
03-03-2005, 01:02 AM
meh. it wont be THAT great... it will be a helluva lot better than raw 2 though.