PDA

View Full Version : Ed Fries Joins Up With Sony!

Sammael
02-03-2005, 02:38 PM
Is this trouble for MS? Fries I dont think really was responsble for much at MS aside the purchase of RARE and Xbox owners have yet to see that pay day. He also had MS publish some crappy games..

Sony Online Entertainment Inc. (SOE), a worldwide leader in massively multiplayer online (MMO) gaming, announced today that it has expanded operations with the formation of a development studio in Seattle, Washington.

Matt Wilson will serve as Executive Producer of SOE-Seattle. Wilson had been with Microsoft for over 10 years, leaving to form FireAnt, Inc. with John Smith, Alex Pfaffe, Craig Link and Ed Fries in order to create cutting-edge massively multiplayer online games. All the members of FireAnt will be joining the new studio full-time, with the exception of Ed Fries, who will serve in an advisory role for SOE-Seattle game design and studio management. The SOE-Seattle team has a diverse history of game development, having worked on titles such as Dungeon Siege, Ultima Online, Wing Commander, Asheron's Call, and many others.

thrAsher
02-03-2005, 02:47 PM
If Fries can help put together some top-notch online games for Sony, more power to him. Stiff competition usually pays off for the consumer.

Reclaimer
02-03-2005, 08:57 PM
He's just going to be in the game market for Sony. He's not personally building the next PS3. So it's not like some industry shocking anti-Xbox thing is about to occur.

Variation-XBA
02-03-2005, 10:15 PM
Interesting, wonder where this will lead

WynnFire
02-04-2005, 02:00 AM
I'm already worrying. I hope his departure won't change Microsoft in any way.

Here's a link to the story which got emailed to me today. Link-Click Here, No, Click HERE (http://www.betanews.com/article/Sony_Taps_Microsoft_Execs_for_Gaming/1107471551)

mrmp3
02-04-2005, 02:26 PM
Doesn't sound like they are working on console games. All the above mentioned are PC Games and if they are working on a kickass MMO, go ahead. Who cares if it comes to console, Microsoft will try and out do them with their own. Like someone said, stiff competition usually means the consumer wins.

SamSmith
02-04-2005, 04:09 PM
hes done nothing much for xbox as of yet.. no major loss, throe him in the bin... (by bin i mean sony)

GordonJ
02-08-2005, 05:09 PM
If Fries can help put together some top-notch online games for Sony, more power to him. Stiff competition usually pays off for the consumer.

yeah, plus it's not like we didn't know he had left Microsoft.