PDA

View Full Version : Will Xbox 2 drop blue laser formats for the regular DVD format?!

skorp
02-08-2005, 06:19 PM
The Inquirer is reporting a rumor that Microsoft may pick the old fashioned DVD format for their new Xbox 2 (Xenon, Xbox 360, whatever...). In a very humorous new article, The Inquirer speaks of how their "spy" dropped a "brown envelope" through their letterbox claiming that Microsoft may choose the traditional DVD format to keep the cost of their consoles and their games down. Well, if it's true, isn't it very considerate of Microsoft to think of the potential price an Xbox 2 game will cost us.

Seriously though if it is true then it's very strange as Microsoft's new console is expected to feature the HD-DVD format. Let’s not forget also that if the new Xbox 2 uses the traditional DVD format, that it leaves the console even more vulnerable to mass piracy. Almost every new pre-built PC sold today has a DVD burner as a CD burner is kind of now thought of as the stone age of digital media amongst us geeks.

Of course, Microsoft's new Xbox 2 console will probably have some hardware protections against copied games but just think of all those modchip companies, they are going to destroy hundreds of next generation consoles putting all sorts of chips and boot discs to the test, how long will it take to compromise it? This is all just a rumor still however, so once again, I say, lets just sit back, wait and see.

Source (http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/6065.cfm)

I'm not sure but is it possible to support both formats?
If not and if it could be true... I think it would be a bad idea not to support it....
I'm not worried about the price. Price didn't stop me then and it won't stop me now! Can't be that ridiculously expensive...

MerimacHamwich
02-08-2005, 06:21 PM
HD-DVD and Blu Ray are both backwards compatible. Oh, and this is the Inquirer, if it's what I am thinking about... It's not exactly reputable.

LynxFX
02-08-2005, 06:53 PM
theinquirer.net should not be confused with The National Enquirer. More times than not, they have been spot on with rumors and insider info months before official announcements.

Of course this is one of their pure, heard it on the grapevine, type of stories as they explicitly state. So its truth is highly suspect, but given that MS hasn't publicly stated which optical format they are going with, one never knows. Personally, I think not going with any future HD optical format is suicide.

On a seperate note, Sony really needs to drop some Blu-ray news. HD-DVD already has an October launch complete with the price of titles, $20-$30 which is just a bit more than DVD's MSRP.

MerimacHamwich
02-08-2005, 07:10 PM
Impressive for the HD-DVD's, cost wise. Hopefully Blu Ray can compete.

It really would be suicide to not support one of the newer formats. I believe newer games will really push the capacity of current DVD's, and some most definetly won't fit on one DVD. So going to the next gen formats only makes sense. With all of these rumours, Xbox 360 seems less and less appealing to me though.
: \

Variation-XBA
02-08-2005, 10:31 PM
It's from a non officla sourse and your taking it to heart? :P

SamSmith
02-09-2005, 03:05 PM
hd dvd is bacwards compatibal with normal dvds... blue ray is not, and is more expensive to make... but it is what i think id like to see in xb2,, but hd-dvd is just as good

squid413
02-09-2005, 04:33 PM
Sam, blu ray is backwards compatable with DVD's, or it can be if manufactures decide to add a red laser as well as a blue laser. This is the same with HD-DVD.

Also, here is a link which talks about the two formats (http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-8900_7-5600201.html)

SamSmith
02-10-2005, 02:11 PM
blu ray players are not able to play normal dvds... so buying an only blu ray player means you are relying on the success of that format to guarantee future use of the player... dvd and blu ray need different drives to run at present... so blu ray is as of now not backwards compatibal with dvds, hd-dvd is, because is is more of an advanced dvd and does not require a different system or drive to play.

MerimacHamwich
02-10-2005, 06:17 PM
Sam... BLUE RAY IS BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE!

http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/#2.4

Will Blu-ray support playback of DVDs?

Yes, several leading consumer electronics companies (including Sony, Panasonic, Philips, Samsung and LG) have already demonstrated products that can read/write CDs, DVDs and Blu-ray Discs using a BD/DVD/CD compatible optical head, so you don't have to worry about your existing DVD collection becoming obsolete. Although it's up to each manufacturer to decide if they want to make their products backwards compatible with DVD, the format is far too popular to not be supported. The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) expects every Blu-ray Disc device to be backward compatible with CDs and DVDs.

CrackinBacks
02-12-2005, 01:42 AM
How is Blu-Ray backwards compatible? I know for Sony's new console they are supposed to be enclosed in a plastic casing or something, like th PSP's discs. I could be wrong.

LynxFX
02-12-2005, 01:50 AM
How is Blu-Ray backwards compatible? I know for Sony's new console they are supposed to be enclosed in a plastic casing or something, like th PSP's discs. I could be wrong.
The drive itself will contain both the 'blue' laser which is used for the new Blu-ray HD discs and will contain a standard 'red' laser which is used in DVD drives today so it can read normal DVD's. That is called being backwards compatible. HD-DVD is doing the same. HD-DVD has also come up with a way to have one layer on an HD-DVD disc contain a typical 8.5gig 'red' laser compatible side. This will allow that new HD disc to be played in standard DVD players, but only in low def quality like we see today. (480p). Blu-ray has also just announced that they can do the same. Now that is called backwards compatibilty plus some.

As for the discs being in cartridges, that was tossed out over a year ago.