PDA

View Full Version : Simulation?? NOO!!

SamSmith
02-09-2005, 03:24 PM
:watchout: i want to get something off my chest... it is this, in the gaming world (a world that i do love so much) games are put into different genre types... some action, some racing, shooting, beat-em-ups.... and that is all well and good, but what i dont like is the way games developers say their game is a SIM... and im sure your aware of the many games being passed off as sims, but the reality is that for something to be a sim it must recreate absolutly everything that it is about... MSs flight simulator 2004 is one of the few sims that deserves to be called ''a sim''... i am currently training up the ranks for a pilots liscence... and in a couple of years hope to have my ATP liscence and a contract with an airline.... okay that isnt my point, my point is that i have used that sim in my training... and it is recognised as a true simulator....
but most other games that call themselves sims are not, they may be as realistic as they could be on a console, but for example WAR games... there are many these days that class themselves as sims, but it is never EVER posibal to simulate war without experiencing it.... also sports games, i have played pro evolution soccer, which is a great game... but what gets to me is the fact that it is called a soccer sim.... it is not posibal, i could score a bicycle kick in pro evo... id have a hard time doing it in a real match!! and this game could be played and mastered by some 400lb overweight monster freak.... but id like to see how hed manage on pixel-less pitch....
okay ive made my point, i love games.... but they should be aknowledge what they are - games- not pretending to recreate what the game is about, as they rarely succeed in doing so...
okay, RANT = OUT.

Variation-XBA
02-10-2005, 12:57 AM
but the reality is that for something to be a sim it must recreate absolutly everything that it is about...

for example WAR games... there are many these days that class themselves as sims, but it is never EVER posibal to simulate war without experiencing it...

this game could be played and mastered by some 400lb overweight monster freak.... but id like to see how hed manage on pixel-less pitch....

okay ive made my point, i love games.... but they should be aknowledge what they are - games- not pretending to recreate what the game is about, as they rarely succeed in doing so...

So is The Sims's a true sim enough for you?

So how do you know the dev's of flight sim are are licenced pilots and have flown every single plane?

So someone can't play a sim game if they arnt able to do it in real life? 0_o

So games arn't able to recreate what they are about, but your using one to learn how to fly. Yea...I'll take the train.

And for the love of god, use some periods and spaces :P

AlBoogy
02-10-2005, 09:37 AM
You need another hobby.

Casper
02-10-2005, 09:40 AM
Yea, I guess Full Spectrum Warrior wasn't deserving of the Sim tag either, I mean, the US Army made it...:rolleyes: Sims are for people to get sucked into the game more with a 'virtual' reality feel to it, if you will.

So why not just change the video game industry with making all games as unrealistic as possible - that'll do well, don't ya think?

SamSmith
02-10-2005, 10:35 AM
Yea, I guess Full Spectrum Warrior wasn't deserving of the Sim tag either, I mean, the US Army made it...:rolleyes: ?

oh yeah my mistake... i forgot that FSW (a great game) can teach you how to command soldiers in all out war :whistle: FSW is a good game, and challenges your spacial awareness and logical reasoning, but commanding troops on a battlefield involves so much more, and on a real battlefield your enemies will actually show intelligence... but if you feel your FSW has prepeared you for commanding a force of soldiers, then go for it... good luck trying to find the A button on the battlefield :whistle: ...

Duke
02-10-2005, 10:39 AM
You need another hobby.

Sam, I wasn't aware that they were trying to trick us, but you sure showed them! Btw, even the most complete of all sims will not fully prepare you for jack ****. I think someone got into your lucky charms.

SamSmith
02-10-2005, 02:03 PM
well with flight simulator 2004 it is used mainly for instrument training... and the actual flight realism is spot on... but it is missing one thing.... actual physics, to really experience flight you must either pilot an actual multi-million costing simualtor, or actually fly... that is why it is mainly used as a tool for instrument training....
and lucky charms???? where did that phrase ever come from?? it isnt used in ireland ive only ever heard it used by a minority of americans!! :)

Dyslexic Chaos
02-13-2005, 04:07 AM
Sam Smith: "Ah, they're always after me Lucky Charms!" "WHat, whats so funny, they're are!"

lol, gotta love Austin Powers.

Bakeman
02-13-2005, 05:33 AM
Sim = video game that trys to simulate real life... sports, racing, etc..

Simulation = training video game made to actually train for specific things.. flying, police training, etc..

I think you gotta look at it that way. Sports video games (such as ESPN NFL 2k5, and that game you mentioned) aren't trying to train you in the sport. They are just trying to give you a realistic representation of the sport, and not allow you to grab a guy by the face mask and spin around with him then toss him 15 yards back.

Ninjermy
02-13-2005, 09:38 AM
So are you saying sam that you would rather have all the "sim" logos removed from games because they aren't real life? WTF do you want them to call it then. Fake-Sim? Not-100%-Realistic-Sim?? You my friend are nuts.

SamSmith
02-13-2005, 09:52 AM
or realistic??

stormin4
02-13-2005, 09:53 AM
Point understood.............but that's why it's called a "game."

dances with broom sticks
02-13-2005, 12:22 PM
Worst.Thread.Ever.

"Have fun finding the A button on the battlefield"

Have fun finding any of the keyboard/mouse keys while your flying your plane....

Also the fact that you are not good enough at soccer to do a bicycle kick goal doesn't mean other people aren't. Its a sim meaning you PLAY it instead of actually doing it. It gives people who CANT actually do that activity a chance to experence what it would be like to do it. A sim = a realistic portrayal of what the real activity is like.

PapaSKooT
02-13-2005, 02:36 PM
Its all relative.

Pro Evo soccer is considered a sim because it is realistic. On the Other hand, Sega Soccer Slam is an "arcade" game (not sim) because it is not realistic.

PES is considered a sim because, compared to what it could be, it is very realistic.

SamSmith
02-13-2005, 02:47 PM
Worst.Thread.Ever.

"Have fun finding the A button on the battlefield"

Have fun finding any of the keyboard/mouse keys while your flying your plane....

Also the fact that you are not good enough at soccer to do a bicycle kick goal doesn't mean other people aren't. Its a sim meaning you PLAY it instead of actually doing it. It gives people who CANT actually do that activity a chance to experence what it would be like to do it. A sim = a realistic portrayal of what the real activity is like.
when i used to use the flight sim there was an actual ****pit linked up with the sim... so we werent just hitting f7 SHIFT etc...

and, actaully once i did score a bicycle kick, so my apolagies...
but i was only asking a quetion with this thread through making a statement, it has now been answered so thankyou

Variation-XBA
02-13-2005, 05:12 PM
and, actaully once i did score a bicycle kick,

Ofcourse you have...
Sigh...

SamSmith
02-13-2005, 06:03 PM
sigh... ???? whats wrong?? cheer up :)

natedog8
02-13-2005, 07:09 PM
sam your stupidity is relentless, that post was rediculous and the only thing that was missing from it to make it your worst thread ever was that it somehow didnt have a poll. video games are video games
a soccer video game is just that, a video game about soccer
a sim is a sim because its not an arcade style game
example 1) Sim = Madden
Arcade = NFL Blitz
Madden has realistic plays, refereeing, yardage, special teams, etc.
NFL Blitz has 30 yard downs, teams on fire, and one button press kicking.

example 2) Sim = Grand Turismo
Arcade = Burnout 3
Grand Turismo has realistic physics, steering, collisions
Burnout 3 has takedown mode and rewards for flipping cars off the road :) 'nuff said I believe.

So there you go, sim games are called that because they are pretty much as close to the real thing as your gonna get from a video game.

DocHoliday78
02-13-2005, 10:11 PM
sam your stupidity is relentless, that post was rediculous and the only thing that was missing from it to make it your worst thread ever was that it somehow didnt have a poll.

You my friend, are a winner in life. :rofl:

SamSmith
02-14-2005, 10:32 AM
sam your stupidity is relentless, that post was rediculous and the only thing that was missing from it to make it your worst thread ever was that it somehow didnt have a poll. video games are video games
a soccer video game is just that, a video game about soccer
a sim is a sim because its not an arcade style game
example 1) Sim = Madden
Arcade = NFL Blitz
Madden has realistic plays, refereeing, yardage, special teams, etc.
NFL Blitz has 30 yard downs, teams on fire, and one button press kicking.

example 2) Sim = Grand Turismo
Arcade = Burnout 3
Grand Turismo has realistic physics, steering, collisions
Burnout 3 has takedown mode and rewards for flipping cars off the road :) 'nuff said I believe.

So there you go, sim games are called that because they are pretty much as close to the real thing as your gonna get from a video game.
okay thanks, you prved me wrong.. im sorry....
and nice to see docs new sig features myself

Reclaimer
02-14-2005, 07:43 PM
I do think there is a difference between simulation and "sims."
As said before, a simulation is as close to the real thing as possible. A "sim" is attempts to recreate realism, yet sticks to arcade principles.

We'll never see a full on simulation game on a console. How could we? The complexity of the controls wouldn't work with just a game pad. Plus, I don't think there would be a big enough market for for a developer to attempt to make such a game.
The PC market has the simulations because they can do it and have custom controls for it and everything like that. Meaning, they can do it better on a PC.

You can make a game, make it fairly realistic in certain terms but it's more profitable to still make it drift towards action games.

Full Spectrum Warrior is not the same game that the Army uses to train it's officers in field command. FSW is a stripped down version of that training model. Pandemic even said they felt like there was a lot of elements in the real version of FSW that gamers wouldn't care about and it would just make the game too complex to just "sit down and play."

The closest thing to a full on simulation would be some of these sports games. Maybe even Steel Battalion because it comes with a special controller to operate your vehicle.

Leave the simulations for the PC to do. You'll never see a flight simulator on the Xbox simply because the control issues and for the fact that Flight Simulators are pretty boring once you get into the air and start cruising. I have MS FS98 and I'm pretty good with it. I can take off, land, follow ATC, do touch and goes all night long. However, it would never make a good Xbox game because it would bore people to tears once you got in the air. Plus an Xbox controller wouldn't have enough buttons to really do it right.