PDA

View Full Version : MS recalls XBox power cords

Casper
02-17-2005, 08:09 AM
Put it on the front page, but this had to get it's own thread.

LOS ANGELES - Microsoft Corp., the world's largest software maker, said Thursday it will recall 14.1 million power cords for its Xbox video game console after a defect gave some users minor burns and scorched carpets.

Robbie Bach, chief Xbox officer for Microsoft, told Reuters the recall covered all Xboxes made for continental Europe before Jan. 13, 2004, and the rest of the world before Oct. 23, 2003.

Consoles built after those dates were designed in such a way that the failures no longer occurred, Bach said.

"It ends up being a combination of both things in the box and circumstances," he said. "It did take us quite a bit of time to understand that there was a challenge."

The recall represents a significant portion of the worldwide Xbox installed base of more than 20 million. Microsoft debuted the Xbox in November 2001 in the United States and subsequently rolled it out worldwide.

Based on reports to its customer service unit and warranty repair data, Bach said Microsoft had observed a failure rate of about 1 in 10,000 units. In 30 of those, users suffered either minor burns or damage to property, including scorched carpets, he said.

Affected customers can request a new power cord free of charge via the Web site, Xbox.com, or by calling toll-free numbers in their respective countries. Microsoft said customers would get replacement cords within 2-4 weeks from the time of order, and in the interim it advised users to turn off their Xboxes when not in use.

In March 2002, Japanese retailers temporarily stopped selling the console just weeks after its launch there because some machines were scratching discs. The company made an unconditional offer to replace hardware and any damaged software.

Bach said some consoles on retail shelves in Japan and Korea were also affected by the electrical problem and Microsoft was working with retailers there to replace the cords in those units.

(Microsoft and NBNC are partners in MSNBC.)

Microsoft is widely expected to release a successor to the Xbox this year. Rival and industry leader Sony Corp. is expected to launch the third version of its popular PlayStation console next year.

The Xbox Live service, which allows players to compete online from their living rooms, is expected to have 1.6 million to 1.8 million subscribers by the end of the fiscal year in June. The company had originally forecast 1.5 million users.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6986506/

wbio
02-17-2005, 09:38 AM
Pretty crazy, guess I'll be getting two new power cords.

Yankeez
02-17-2005, 10:16 AM
You need to have your manufacture date and the unique serial number on the underside of the console in hand

Go online to www.xbox.com click on the link "Power Cord Replacement for Xbox".

Follow the instructions to determine if a replacement power cord is needed and how to order one if necessary.

selowitch
02-17-2005, 04:52 PM
Well, I have a problem. I went to both Xbox.com and tried the automated phone system. Both claim that my system does not need a replacement cord, and yet my date of manufacture is June 20, 2002 --- several months before the cutoff date of October 23, 2002. How typically Microsoft. What do I do now, I wonder?

EDIT: Actually, after a couple of phone calls to Microsoft, it turns out I goofed entering my serial number. Once I corrected that, it worked. So not Microsoft's fault this time. Sorry, Bill.

RichVGS
02-17-2005, 05:18 PM
Finally, a reason to be happy that my first Xbox rolled craps back in October. Yet, I still feel so screwed from the first one breaking down.

skorp
02-17-2005, 06:50 PM
Whew! Guess I'm safe with the first Box... :D

Dennis75
02-17-2005, 10:37 PM
Ordered mine today..... for my ancient, noble, and still RUNNING GREAT November 30, 2001 Xbox!!!!! All hail the old one :hail: *crosses fingers*

Darkside
02-18-2005, 02:15 AM
Well, I just ordered mine, granted, I haven't seen any funny businesss going on with it yet, but just sto be safe, I'll get it.

Variation-XBA
02-18-2005, 10:34 PM
Meh, too much work, I'll live with my fire hazard

SamSmith
02-19-2005, 05:22 AM
im able to take up this offer, and i did... but then ms told me there is nothing wrong with your console.... well there isnt, but it was built before that date...

-Natas-
02-19-2005, 10:19 AM
I'm not going to mess with this as I would have to call them as I do not have the date of my machine just the s/n as my sticker got damaged. I know my machine is old enough as I got it in November of 2003. It was only being used for lan parties anyway now that I have my Halo SE xbox. :)

TOTTEN
02-19-2005, 11:41 AM
I ordered my new power cord yay. But my old box is broken so now my halo-box will have a new cord.

Casper
02-19-2005, 01:38 PM
Just signed up for 2 new ones - eh, doesn't bother me. I have extras from my DC that can be used, regardless.

ll Mista GT ll
02-19-2005, 01:59 PM
Yeah!

I get some free stuff!
Now my mom won't let me play teh Xbox when she's not home...(she took the cord) I sneaked it back though!

GO XBOX and free stuff!

SamSmith
02-19-2005, 02:31 PM
anyway, my ps2/ GC cable works with it anyway.. loads of equipment use the same type of cable, so you can just use those if you really need one!

John4767
02-21-2005, 05:45 PM
im glad i dont need a new one, i checked :) b ut my buddy does lol

-Natas-
02-23-2005, 10:48 PM
Some people are starting to get their new cords already and it seems that is some cases the cords are not the issue it's the power supply. The new cords that some people are getting have a GFI (Ground Fault Interrupter) so when the power board sparks it will trip so it does not cause a fire. It seems to me that Ms is just putting a band aid on a rather big issue as they did not want to go thru the expense of fixing the old xboxes with a recall. So instead they are just covering thier butts with this new cord that has a GFI. :rolleyes:

selowitch
02-24-2005, 07:15 AM
Some people are starting to get their new cords already and it seems that is some cases the cords are not the issue it's the power supply. The new cords that some people are getting have a GFI (Ground Fault Interrupter) so when the power board sparks it will trip so it does not cause a fire. It seems to me that Ms is just putting a band aid on a rather big issue as they did not want to go thru the expense of fixing the old xboxes with a recall. So instead they are just covering thier butts with this new cord that has a GFI. :rolleyes:
Assuming you're right, what then is wrong with that, exactly? If the fire risk is eliminated, hasn't the necessary objective been achieved? I'm not sure what you're complaining about.

-Natas-
02-24-2005, 07:31 AM
What is wrong with them is that the connector for the power cord uses plastic clips instead of revits to hold the connector to the circuit board which can allow the connector to move a little. This movement can break the solder joints loose causing sparks or in some cases the xbox may not work at all. All this new GFI cord does is stop the fire hazard but it does not solve the actual problem. That is all that I am saying........... :confused:

selowitch
02-24-2005, 07:45 AM
What is wrong with them is that the connector for the power cord uses plastic clips instead of revits to hold the connector to the circuit board which can allow the connector to move a little. This movement can break the solder joints loose causing sparks or in some cases the xbox may not work at all. All this new GFI cord does is stop the fire hazard but it does not solve the actual problem. That is all that I am saying........... :confused:
Well, now that you've explained your position in a little more detail, it makes more sense to me. I can't say I'm terribly surprised. This recall is costing Microsoft a fortune, and they're probably trying to hold down their expenses, not that this is a valid excuse, but .....

BTW, I got my replacement unit yesterday. That was indeed quick!

XTF
02-24-2005, 08:27 AM
i have 2 xboxs one works fine, but the other has a disc problem.. so i tried to go to toys r us buy an xbox switch it then return the broken one so i took off the new serial code and put it on the old one they checked it and didnt take it back so i now have 2 xboxs one that doesnt work (taken apart, but i have all the parts in tact) and one that i use right now. both have there serial numbers messed with, you guys think that microsoft will still take them back?

edit: will they take the whole xbox or just the power cords?

-Natas-
02-24-2005, 08:40 AM
i have 2 xboxs one works fine, but the other has a disc problem.. so i tried to go to toys r us buy an xbox switch it then return the broken one so i took off the new serial code and put it on the old one they checked it and didnt take it back so i now have 2 xboxs one that doesnt work (taken apart, but i have all the parts in tact) and one that i use right now. both have there serial numbers messed with, you guys think that microsoft will still take them back?

edit: will they take the whole xbox or just the power cords?

They don't actually "take" anything, all you need to do is call them or go to thier website and put in the Serial Number and Manufacturing Date of the xbox. They will tell you if you need a new cord or not and if you need the cord they will send it to you.

selowitch
02-24-2005, 09:21 AM
Messing around with or altering serial numbers is a very bad idea. It undermines the whole purpose of those numbers, i.e., to be able to accurate identify machines. When you switch around serial numbers, you undermine confidence in all serial numbers, including those for non-Xbox items like computers and TVs.

Please don't do this. It messes things up for guys like me who buy a lot of electronics and computer equipment.