PDA

View Full Version : New details on the Xbox 360

GuiltySpark
02-22-2005, 04:57 PM
According to Engadget (http://www.engadget.com):

Our same reliable source who delivered the goods for us a few weeks back with the inside dirt that the name for the next Xbox is indeed the Xbox 360 has just hit us up with a couple of other nibblets: One, that the Xbox 360 is definitely going to come with wireless controllers; and two, that it’s going to have an optional hard drive that attaches to the top of Xbox 360 “in a really slick way, almost like the hood scoop on a muscle car.” Better still, “You’ll be able to add the hard drive afterwards without having to take the box apart if you didn’t buy the hard drive version of the Xbox 360.” Yeah, that means there are going to be (at least) two versions of the Xbox 360 available when it goes on sale, one with a hard drive, and one without.

This doesn't sound like such a bad idea. I guess only time will tell. If the 360 is as slick as I hear it's going to be then this new tidbit might actually end up being cool. Instead of hassling with trying to fit all your files on a memory card, you can take out the hard drive and just take that over to your friends house.

BTW, in case you haven't heard: the 360 is supposed to be amazingly sexy and much more petite.

The real question is: "Why are they calling it the 360?"

It has to mean something right. I mean, they could call it the Xbox 500000000 to make is sound cutting edge. The '360' has to be some integral part of the new box...

rpgreligion
02-22-2005, 05:19 PM
I wonder how much this 'hard-drive version' will be jacked up pricewise. :whistle:

MerimacHamwich
02-22-2005, 05:22 PM
I wonder how much this 'hard-drive version' will be jacked up pricewise. :whistle:
And just imagine how little it will be used. Think of our Xbox. Not many games take advantage of it. Most games just use it to store save games. Now if the next xbox has an optional harddrive, that means that there will be a percentage of gamers out there who don't even have the HDD. That is adds a whole knew reason for developers to not get innovative the with HDD tech.

I'm sorry, but the more I hear about the next Xbox, the less I am liking it. The wireless-ness could be good, but it could also suck royally.

Xer0Mercy
02-22-2005, 06:50 PM
I think it's a good idea. It's like a giant memory card you can tote to your friends house and such.

I hate the name Xbox 360, though. It just seems like they're trying to get a higher number than PS3 to make it appeal better. Almost anything is better than "Xbox 360."

Reclaimer
02-22-2005, 06:54 PM
This just makes the next Xbox suck.
Seriously, I might just jump ship to the PS3 if I keep hearing all this bad news about the next Xbox.

They'll sell a hard drive as an extra? That just means 1 or 2 games will use it then. That means no more custom soundtracks by the way because less games will use the hard drive then they do now. The fact that it's an add on now means that it will be a lot more expensive than a traditional hard drive for a PC would cost, and like we already said, less games will support it.

Wireless controllers. No. Now I have to buy batteries for this dumb thing and I'm sorry.. nothing that transmits through radiowaves is as accurate or considered as quality as a hardwire connection. That goes with anything from data transmission to voice transmission. So it's going to come with 1 controller and now I'll have to buy 3 extra expensive controllers because they're wireless. More expensive to the consumer than a traditional controller. So, I shell out 40-50 bucks per controller then add on batteries for 4 controllers.

What's next? Xbox360 sounds like it's swinging me around back to my old Xbox.

GuiltySpark
02-22-2005, 07:06 PM
Wireless controllers. No. Now I have to buy batteries for this dumb thing and I'm sorry.. nothing that transmits through radiowaves is as accurate or considered as quality as a hardwire connection. That goes with anything from data transmission to voice transmission. So it's going to come with 1 controller and now I'll have to buy 3 extra expensive controllers because they're wireless. More expensive to the consumer than a traditional controller. So, I shell out 40-50 bucks per controller then add on batteries for 4 controllers.

Have you ever used the logitech wireless controller? They are WAY better then the M$ first party, or any other third party for that matter. Much more precise.

Wireless technology is getting cheaper by the second. I'm sure the controllers will still be around $30. Then the third party people will have to compete with that, hence, lowering the price farther.

I do agree that the optional HDD might not inspire developers, but has the existing HDD for the Xbox really been worth it? How many games REALLY use it. Sure, they all use it for faster load times, but I could live without if I had to.

I will have to make my final decision about a new system after e3...

vman
02-22-2005, 07:51 PM
well, like ppl have said before, the wirless controllers and the optional HD has its cons, but it also has its pro's. like everything else in the world! my goodness, the next-generation console will NOT be perfect? That's unheard of! come on, you douche bags. you KNOW they will have controllers with cords and you dont HAVE to buy the HD! who cares if there are no custom sound tracks. Ever heard of a CD player? hook some portable speakers to your walkman if you just HAVE to listen to music while you play. Its not like you'll die if you dont listen to music. and you will eventually buy the HD anyway cause there is bound to be some sweet ass DLC.

I say, these are all good things. They are trying to set the bar high for its competitors without forcing the consumer into buying a console for a hefty price. pretty ingenious i think. they give you the option to NOT get the hard drive, while the xbox FORCED you to get it. and how are they NOT going to give the option of wire controllers. they know that there are hard-core gamers out there that want that precise button reading time. remember that this is going to be coming from the same guys that brought you the XBOX that you all know and love. Don't worry guys, it is going to turn out like a really sweet console. "Akuna Mattata!"

Life is bittersweet, worries will imprison you, life goes on.

ShannonX
02-22-2005, 08:08 PM
all i can say is i better see a HUGE price break for not getting a harddrive. If i have to spend 300 for a base xbox or 400+ for the harddrive version, I'm not getting one. period.

I'm NOT using those damn memory cards, EVER. So either it has built in memory for saving games (harddrive, solid state storage, etc...), and cost no more than this generations cost, or I'm gonna move on over to ps3 unless they are stupid as well. Then i'll just stick with PC gaming.

Variation-XBA
02-22-2005, 08:40 PM
I like the HDD idea, and who knows, maybe it'll end up looking like a spoiler or roof scoop or something? :P

Im not making ANY judgements until E3+ and we know the FACTS, not just unconfirmed rumors.

SamSmith
02-23-2005, 01:46 AM
i propsed the idea of making a HD version and non HD version to MS... so they took it up

Variation-XBA
02-23-2005, 02:59 AM
Ofcourse you did sam....we should all bow down to you

XTF
02-23-2005, 06:31 AM
lol

i agree with the wireless controller thing... i dont mind the actual connection (hardwire or wireless) but the battery thing is gonna be a problem, it would be much better if they made them with high quality rechargeble batteries already in them with a charger too. also they should make a optional hardwire controller.

i rather have more graphics power and everything rather than have a sexy petite little xbox with a little power.

just my opinion...

SamSmith
02-23-2005, 07:42 AM

:) hmmm, yes...

Sammael
02-23-2005, 08:03 AM
I just want E3 here to end the speculation and rumors.

Huckleberry
02-23-2005, 01:19 PM
if all the wireless connection stuff is true, and the xbox becomes an entertainment hub, then the name xbox 360 makes sense. it will be able to connect to things in every direction...and i hope it's true. i can't say for sure that i'll buy this thing...i'll have to see everything first. but it's likely, and wireless to me means a lot. i went and bought a recharger and several batteries for it. it was a big investment initially, but when i look at my wireless mouse, keyboard, and a few different remotes, it's paid off big time. if that's what i do for the controllers, no problem.

Sammael
02-23-2005, 01:27 PM
My logitech wireless mouse and keyboard are great. The mouse is rechargable, and in two years the keyboard batteries haven't died yet.

jelgiad
02-23-2005, 02:56 PM

I'd say more along the lines of kick his ass

Variation-XBA
02-23-2005, 08:55 PM
I'd say more along the lines of kick his ass
Amen bother

vman
02-23-2005, 09:06 PM
come on, guys.... lets be civil.

I think that batteries will be a big problem, rechargeable or not. either way it will be more of a hassle than normal controllers.

Reclaimer
02-23-2005, 11:08 PM
Are there any wireless controllers out right now that have XBL headset jacks built into the controller? How does it sound?
I was curious because I want to be able to plug my headset into my controller like I do now.
So the new controllers will be wireless right? Well, including sending button inputs out and receiving rumble commands back, adding inbound and outbound voice communications into the mix will only mean they these controllers have a hard core transmitter and receiver built in to handle the extra "throughput." That will mean more battery usage to power the exchange.
It's one thing to send button inputs.
It's another to send voice back and forth seamlessly.
I'm not saying it can't be done. It can. But it will come at a price.

CMX Jedi
02-23-2005, 11:12 PM
i realy cant picture a hard drive siting ontop can look good
slick isnt it :rolleyes:

Variation-XBA
02-23-2005, 11:15 PM
LOL.....nice pic ;)

XTF
02-24-2005, 08:49 AM
reclaimer.. the headsets will most likely be wireless also if everything else is wireless

SamSmith
02-24-2005, 04:09 PM
i bet it wont be wireless... i cant picture it

vman
02-24-2005, 07:52 PM
haha, NICE!!!

rpgreligion
02-24-2005, 09:23 PM
I hate wireless controllers. When I get pissed at games I tend to throw controller. Normally the little safety mechanism on the cord slows the rate of speed. But with wireless..it could go right out a window. :(

vman
02-24-2005, 09:48 PM
I hate wireless controllers. When I get pissed at games I tend to throw controller. Normally the little safety mechanism on the cord slows the rate of speed. But with wireless..it could go right out a window. :(
anger managment?

Whisper
02-24-2005, 09:52 PM
Xbox 360:

vman
02-24-2005, 09:59 PM
Xbox 360:
...cute, very cute :rolleyes:

PapaSKooT
02-24-2005, 10:31 PM

I was actually imagining something more like this.

lllusion
02-24-2005, 11:14 PM
A sega genesis with a game inserted!!! WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

vman
02-24-2005, 11:44 PM
LMAO!!!! :rofl:

CMX Jedi
02-25-2005, 12:57 AM
I was actually imagining something more like this.
if it looked like that, it'll still be ugly (to me). guess we'll just have to wait n see. maybe it will look good.

Rochey69r
02-25-2005, 01:29 AM
well, like ppl have said before, the wirless controllers and the optional HD has its cons, but it also has its pro's. like everything else in the world! my goodness, the next-generation console will NOT be perfect? That's unheard of! come on, you douche bags. you KNOW they will have controllers with cords and you dont HAVE to buy the HD! who cares if there are no custom sound tracks. Ever heard of a CD player? hook some portable speakers to your walkman if you just HAVE to listen to music while you play. Its not like you'll die if you dont listen to music. and you will eventually buy the HD anyway cause there is bound to be some sweet ass DLC.

have u ever heard of high definition 5.1? oviosly not. when playing games i listen to my cd tracks from my xbox's hd in high def sound...not crappy portable speakers...also what if you have albums on ya xbox hd u dont have on cd? and when u wanna change soundtrack u have to swap cd's around do you? hmmm

jteqnique
02-25-2005, 03:57 PM
have u ever heard of high definition 5.1? oviosly not. when playing games i listen to my cd tracks from my xbox's hd in high def sound...not crappy portable speakers...also what if you have albums on ya xbox hd u dont have on cd? and when u wanna change soundtrack u have to swap cd's around do you? hmmm

Exactly, I love my 5.1 and apparently the ones who don't have it are the ones who don't mind it not being there. Only a few games did it right, but its totally worth it. Vice City anybody??? more seamless, its just another radio station. Most in game music sucks and its amazing (yes AMAZING) to listen to quality tracks instead of crap (burnout 3 anyone???, just not implemented very well. Thanks EA)
If there is no hard-drive standard then everygame has to be made without one in mind. THAT BLOWS, its a step backwards, and I loved my box because it was so advanced. Standard 480p, standard 5.1, and standard hard-drive. Guess what, its the same price as PS2. The fact the next is named 360 is because soccer-moms see a ps3 or xbox 2 for the same price, they'll get the one with the 3 on it because they'll probably think its better (all advertising). If you have to buy a hard-drive it jacks up the price, if you don't buy a hard-drive you STILL need a memory card, which once again jacks up the price and most PS owners have memory cards lying around so once again, its cheaper for them.
I didn't buy my xbox because of price, I bought it because it was buy far better than anything on the market, microsoft knows this, they lost $100 on every console sold when it launched, I really don't see them dumbing it down to save money. NOBODY will want to spend more than $50 for memory storage if they don't have to. This is a TERRIBLE..repeat..Horrible decision for Microsoft to make considering Sony's console will have a hard-drive standard, which means in turn the games will be made with a hard-drive in mind. I hate to say it but sony is looking better and better by the day (except that damn controller, but I highly doubt I'll be getting a "Duke" in wireless form courtesy of microsoft anyway...I can only hope). Microsoft needs to stay in the lead or they will truely never break into the japanese market regardless if they got Hironobu Sakaguchi (Final fantasy 1-6) to make games exclusively for xbox 2. I believe Bill Gates will make the right decision considering how much money they've put into it (6 billion dollar development just for xbox 1) Thats a terrible investment to just be second place. Here's hoping its still a console designed with hard-core gamers in mind with accesibility to casual gamers, and not the other way around

Rochey69r
02-25-2005, 05:46 PM
Exactly, I love my 5.1 and apparently the ones who don't have it are the ones who don't mind it not being there. Only a few games did it right, but its totally worth it. Vice City anybody??? more seamless, its just another radio station. Most in game music sucks and its amazing (yes AMAZING) to listen to quality tracks instead of crap (burnout 3 anyone???, just not implemented very well. Thanks EA)
If there is no hard-drive standard then everygame has to be made without one in mind. THAT BLOWS, its a step backwards, and I loved my box because it was so advanced. Standard 480p, standard 5.1, and standard hard-drive. Guess what, its the same price as PS2. The fact the next is named 360 is because soccer-moms see a ps3 or xbox 2 for the same price, they'll get the one with the 3 on it because they'll probably think its better (all advertising). If you have to buy a hard-drive it jacks up the price, if you don't buy a hard-drive you STILL need a memory card, which once again jacks up the price and most PS owners have memory cards lying around so once again, its cheaper for them.
I didn't buy my xbox because of price, I bought it because it was buy far better than anything on the market, microsoft knows this, they lost $100 on every console sold when it launched, I really don't see them dumbing it down to save money. NOBODY will want to spend more than $50 for memory storage if they don't have to. This is a TERRIBLE..repeat..Horrible decision for Microsoft to make considering Sony's console will have a hard-drive standard, which means in turn the games will be made with a hard-drive in mind. I hate to say it but sony is looking better and better by the day (except that damn controller, but I highly doubt I'll be getting a "Duke" in wireless form courtesy of microsoft anyway...I can only hope). Microsoft needs to stay in the lead or they will truely never break into the japanese market regardless if they got Hironobu Sakaguchi (Final fantasy 1-6) to make games exclusively for xbox 2. I believe Bill Gates will make the right decision considering how much money they've put into it (6 billion dollar development just for xbox 1) Thats a terrible investment to just be second place. Here's hoping its still a console designed with hard-core gamers in mind with accesibility to casual gamers, and not the other way around

well said :)

rpgreligion
02-25-2005, 06:23 PM
anger managment?

Nah. The throwing of the controllers gets rid of all the anger...

Until a joystick breaks. :D

CMX Jedi
02-25-2005, 07:36 PM
Nah. The throwing of the controllers gets rid of all the anger...
Until a joystick breaks. :D
i threw my xbox controller plenty of times. the start and back buttons dont work anymore , the rumble moter is loose so it ratles everytime it rumbles. but it still works :cool:

Whisper
02-25-2005, 09:09 PM
MS can easily come out on top if they want to.. but do they really want to? do they really care if their product is superior? I don't think they care as much as sony does

MerimacHamwich
02-25-2005, 09:58 PM
I disagree there Whisper, you may have been being sarcastic though. The exact thing they did with the Xbox is, to try and make the best console out there. When you see interviews with the actual poeple responsible for designing it, that is what they said. My question is if they are headed in the right direction.

iloveRPGs
02-26-2005, 04:14 PM
They certainly could put more money into it than Sony could it they thought it would be worth it. But since M$ as a whole is doing so well they probably don't want to.

SamSmith
02-26-2005, 07:33 PM
they know they have to... they know xbox2 has to again be superior to the sony next gen console... and it will be

vman
02-26-2005, 10:01 PM
they know they have to... they know xbox2 has to again be superior to the sony next gen console... and it will be
i wouldn't be too sure about that.

AlphaRaptor
02-26-2005, 10:55 PM
i wouldn't be too sure about that.
Well they know in order to be successful, it must be the most powerful system again. They know if its not, Xbox 2 might loose fans, instead of gain them.

vman
02-27-2005, 12:34 AM
Well they know in order to be successful, it must be the most powerful system again. They know if its not, Xbox 2 might loose fans, instead of gain them.
true, but look what happend to the BS2, it came out first, then it got anally raped by XBOX. im just saying that the PS3 will have a slight advantge in seeing what MS is gonna come up with before officially coming out with a console.

that is if, of course, MS realeases the next xbox in 05.

Snowblind
02-27-2005, 01:22 AM
I still say that it's too early for the NexGen consoles. Seriously, if people stopped making consoles after Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube but continued making games for them, you wouldn't hear me complain.

The only good wireless control I have seen so far is the one for the Gamecube, otherwise they all suck. Let's see, $30-$40 just for the controller plus $5 for a 4 pack of batteries? No.

Xbox 360? Great, MSoft is making a spinning console. I liked NextBox better.

I stopped buying memory cards back when I played the N64, no way am I going to start now.

And lets not forget about the inevitable price hike in games. I expect Spinbox games to be around $60 to $65.

MerimacHamwich
02-27-2005, 01:23 AM
I love how alot of poeple just immediately dismiss the whole Sony side of things. They are going to want to have a superior product to the Xbox. They lost potential customers becuase their PS2 was lacking in features. They will want to change that to make the most profit they possibly can.

Microsoft isn't the only huge corporation involved in this console war. All of the companies want to have the best product.

-edit-
Snowblind, grow up. Change is inevitable, if you can't change with the world, you will be left behind and eaten by the sewer rats.

SamSmith
02-27-2005, 06:06 AM
Xbox 360? Great, MSoft is making a spinning console. .

it wont be called xbox 360,it wont be called xbox 360,it wont be called xbox 360, oh please dont let it be called xbox 360!!

and yeah, ms knows why most people bought xbox in the fist place... cause it was better, more powerful etc... that will be the case in the next round

Snowblind
02-27-2005, 02:11 PM
Snowblind, grow up. Change is inevitable, if you can't change with the world, you will be left behind and eaten by the sewer rats.

What the hell? I didn't say that I couldn't live with the new change, I said that I just don't like the idea of the consoles coming out within the next year. I can adapt with the change if that's what your getting at.

Variation-XBA
02-27-2005, 02:11 PM
People put WAY too much emphisis on specs of a system. Systems rarely peak out and when they do it's usually near the end of it's life span (Doom3 XB, GT4 PS2).

Just because a system has this many more mhz or ram doesnt mean its a superior system. Who cares if it's the most powerfull system ever but all the games are crap? Least we could play a REALLY pretty pacman or something... :P

SamSmith
02-27-2005, 04:01 PM
People put WAY too much emphisis on specs of a system. Systems rarely peak out and when they do it's usually near the end of it's life span (Doom3 XB, GT4 PS2).

... :P

i know what you mean... compare some of the gritty first xb games which looked like ps2 games (bar halo) with the pc quality stuff were treated with now.

but i admmit... im prety shallow, im going to want to get the most powerful console with the beefy specs and most ram"! face it, then developers will have more to work with and will be able to innovate and impress more

I still say that it's too early for the NexGen consoles. Seriously, if people stopped making consoles after Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube but continued making games for them, you wouldn't hear me complain.

you would start to complain when you see how great pc games are excelling over time... can you imagine if we were left with ps1, and we were all looking at pcs with HL2 Doom etc, i think youd feel... well underpowered, and missing out.

Nervusbreakdown
02-27-2005, 06:56 PM
All I can say is wait till E3.

Nervusbreakdown
02-27-2005, 07:06 PM

you know hardware is not where what makes thegame work is the software and cost, if MS says that the XNA can do what it can do in a low cost then developers will see a why to make great content to save the company money over high price because once yu reach the $60 mark then you really have to think about buying the game that is really worth the price.

I remember trading my N64 because of the game was to high, I still remember till this day the WCWvsNWO game cost like $90, nw tell me is it worth it? :confused:

TOTTEN
02-27-2005, 10:26 PM
You do forget 75% of console owners have no idea or care about the power of a system. I Think the xbox 2 should be powerful enough to compete with the PS3 but still be cheaper than the PS3 because honestly I think that is what will be crucial to the sales(Price).

Variation-XBA
02-28-2005, 02:09 AM
You do forget 75% of console owners have no idea or care about the power of a system.

True, but the people that do won't be suaded to the other side, even if the lineup is much better

iloveRPGs
02-28-2005, 03:28 PM
It's true Totten, there are so many people, teenagers especially, that just get a console for Christmas and only buy games like Madden, Halo, and San Andreas for it. They don't give a sh** about the consoles specs or if it has a harddrive, really they don't care how much it cost either cuz it's usually their parent paying for it. It's the mainstream games they care about.