PDA

View Full Version : Voice Commander

Hugh_Jass
02-11-2002, 08:20 AM
I've been thinking about the voice commander. I think it is a very interesting peripheral though I would probably rarely use it since I'm not that fond of multiplayer games.

Does anyone know if the in-game audio is played in the earpiece or is that exclusively for receiving voice communication?

Secondly, is the earpiece/microphone unit permanently attached to the controller interface card or can it be removed and replaced with another unit?

It would make more sense if only the voice communication comes to the earpiece. That would be my preference. However, if the in-game audio is heard as well (and the earpiece/microphone unit were detachable) you could use it as an on-board stereo headphone jack. That might be useful on some occasions.

JJaX
02-11-2002, 08:28 AM
When i played in a UT clan we used a program called Roger Wilco.

http://www.rogerwilco.com

All in game sounds came through the headphones, And the heaphones had a mic in front. Talk about good teamwork. To be able to talk to my teammates with the press of a button was great. You can also configure it so you dont even have to press a button, Just talk. Real simple to use to. One person host, And everyone else joins the channel. You can Pw protect your channels too.

aronx
02-11-2002, 03:21 PM
How much of a ***g can you possibly be.

JJaX
02-11-2002, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by aronx
How much of a ***g can you possibly be.

Whats a ***g???

aronx
02-11-2002, 03:28 PM
It's a man who likes other men in a sexual way.

thunderkiss2k1
02-11-2002, 05:12 PM
With comments like the ones you have made, Aronx, I'm willing to bet you have NO friends. But I guess a guy with a shining personality such as yourself doesn't need friends, right?

alien_69
02-11-2002, 05:37 PM
I have the PC voice commander and it's very usefull. If you don't play multiplayer games that much, then it's not worth buying. but who knows, the game voice may actually cause you to LIKE multiplayer games more. it's fun to coordinate in multiplayer, and voice chat makes it fast and easy. For me, it made FPS games less frustrating and less mind reading to what your team was doing.

the PC version has a toggle switch to allow the game sound/music come from the speakers, or from the headphones. the microphone still works the same no matter if the sounds come from the headset or speakers - so i hope they have the same sound toggle switch for the XBOX version too.

it would be great to use the voice commander with Halo, the unreal game comming out, and other multiplayer games.
I use the PC game voice when i play the huge RPG games, or Tribes2 or Quake, or Flashpoint, counterstrike, etc - it's even fun on other games like Monopoly, or the free games on Yahoo etc.:)

Toonz
02-11-2002, 05:38 PM
I use gamevoice all the time on my PC. All sounds are heard through the headset. There are even channels so you can talk to just one person instead of the whole group. On a few occasions I have had both teams all chatting. Its great for teamwork and even better for trash talking.

xboxking
02-11-2002, 07:16 PM
To all those who think the gamevoice is only for multiplayer.

1) Games will support voice recognition. So for instance,

in a formula1 race, you'll be able to say, "I'm coming into the pit next lap." and the pit crew will start getting ready for your pitstop.
Also, the ability to tune into your teammates frequency and communicate with him, such as, "Hold up the car behind." and your teammate will do his best to block the car behind.

In a basketball game you'll be able to say, "Pass me the ball I'm open." and the AI Player will pass you the ball. Also, the ability to tell your AI to shoot/take it to the hoop, or even set up team plays (where all AI are involved)

Also, if you provide a command, it will be returned either positively or negatively. For example, in Unreal Tournament (Capture the Flag) you could say, "Come back and defend the base." Of which the AI would reply, "Can't at the moment, going for the flag."

The potential is endless and the thought of it, would really add that sense of gameplay and feeling in control to games. The multiplayer abilitiy just tops this all off.

LynxFX
02-11-2002, 07:41 PM
Anyway to get this aronx banned?

But back to the topic, I can't wait for this item and the online network. As for the voice recognition, I really hope they make some improvements with the technology, especially in a noisy game environment. What Xboxking describes would be the ultimate but I honestly don't know if it will be that good. They have alot of hurdles infront of them to accomplish that and one of them is the limited power of a 733mhz processor. I just don't think that is enough for good voice recognition and gaming AI along with the rest of the game.

alien_69
02-11-2002, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by xboxking

Also, if you provide a command, it will be returned either positively or negatively. For example, in Unreal Tournament (Capture the Flag) you could say, "Come back and defend the base." Of which the AI would reply, "Can't at the moment, going for the flag."

ack! that's right. i forgot i do that all the time with Tribes2 and Flashpoint's radio menu. i use it so much i forget that i bound my voice to game radio commands for single player :D
i just say "roger" and instantly "[backspace] 0 0" is entered during Flashpoint and the roger response is sent out via the game menu to the AI hehe.

Hugh_Jass
02-12-2002, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Lynxfx
Anyway to get this aronx banned?

But back to the topic, I can't wait for this item and the online network. As for the voice recognition, I really hope they make some improvements with the technology, especially in a noisy game environment. What Xboxking describes would be the ultimate but I honestly don't know if it will be that good. They have alot of hurdles infront of them to accomplish that and one of them is the limited power of a 733mhz processor. I just don't think that is enough for good voice recognition and gaming AI along with the rest of the game.

I hadn't considered voice recognition. That would be interesting. I think there could be enough cycles to implement it; at least on a limited basis. My cell phone has voice recognition. I can't imagine Nokia puts powerhouse CPUs in their phones. :)

FlyBoy
02-12-2002, 06:15 PM
Somone please fill me in... I got out of the gaming world around the time the psone came out and just decided to get back into it. This commander allows you to talk to other players in a multi game online? I would just like to say... compared to my first system(Game Boy and playstation)... and every other console I've played... XBOX RULES, nothing else has interested me since then, so thats why I'm back on these boards w/ya'll.

Frostberg
02-12-2002, 06:51 PM
Hey FlyBoy while im looking at your siggy...
That would be interesting because in 2005 the Super Bowl is going to my city, (yeah it's expensive to buy a city) Jacksonville, FL...home of the unimpressive Jacksonville Jaguars!

*cough* Go Vikings! *cough*

FlyBoy
02-12-2002, 07:37 PM
BOO JACKSONVILLE! I was at the game where our fans threw bottles on the field and at the refs. I didn't do it because I was way up high and they would have hit the fans below us. I'm just upset that with the repositioning of divisions this year, the Jaguars and Browns are separated... that would have been a good rivalry.

ANYWAY... I'M ON THE XBOX BOARD, NOT THE BROWNS... HEHE... LO SIENTO:eek: