PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy Favorites

X-Factor
02-11-2002, 12:54 PM
Final Fantasy VII is my favorite in the FF series. FFVII was the first PlayStation game I owned. I have so many memories of long hours, and late nights with FFVII.

So which FF is your favorite???

In my opinion-- FFVII is THE MOTHER OF ALL RPGs

*Final Fantasy Fanatic Forever*http://www.ffworld.com/images/ff/ff8/gif_05.gif

TheCovenant
02-12-2002, 10:24 PM
Although the games get more graphically impressive every sequal...final fantasy with its strong story line and addictive RPG elements, out did all the other final fantasies. That is including FFX (which came close cause it saved me a lot of reading time with those voice-overs).......So in the end this is what i think of the sereis as far as the cg-movie thing started on playstation....

FFVII= Good storyline, cool action sequences and you get to fight a turtle

FFIII= One of the weirdest stories i ever heard ( Flying GARDENS?), was crying harder than the end of titanic ( THATS RIGHT! I MEAN THAT WAS FREAKEN SAD! POOR BOAT! ) and had a love story

FFIX=What the hell were they thinking? What the hell were they smoking ? Everyone has heads that make it seem as if they swallowed ballons ( with air inside, in case you didnt figure that one out) , and everyone was a kid!?!?!?!?!and one more thing,.......WHAT THE HELL WERE THEY DRINKING?

FFX=Good voice overs, Fiona was extremely flat, whats with watching the begining video twice? Didnt seem like you were reading a novel and WHAT THE HELL WERE THEY DOING WHEN THEY MADE FFIX?

X-Factor
02-13-2002, 10:39 AM
No RPG combined story, gameplay, and narrative as well as FFVII did.

But FFVIII wasn’t all that bad. The Story was kind of off. But FFVIII had a kick-ass cast of characters, and innovative gameplay elements. FFVIII is one of the best to grace the Final Fantasy name.

FFIX was a mistake... but Vivi rocked!!!

I don’t own a PS2, so I haven’t played FFX yet. But I’ve heard good things.

StudioAlex
02-14-2002, 12:51 PM
Final Fantasy 7 is definately my favorite. The story was really good, particularly Cloud's arc, but the pacing was terrible. They totally killed the momentum with crap like Red 8's village and what not. Also, the translation was terrible, one of the worst I've seen.

X-Factor
02-15-2002, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by StudioAlex
the translation was terrible, one of the worst I've seen.
How do you know the translation wasn't good? Do you speak Japanese?

Did you know that Clad translated to Cloud, and Rouge translated to Red???

StudioAlex
02-16-2002, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by X-Factor

How do you know the translation wasn't good? Do you speak Japanese?

DO you speak japanese? I know the translation wasn't good because there were many times when the characters said things that make absolutely no sense. Sure, when Cloud screamed, watashi wa manuki desu! I thought it was really funny, but it made no sense for him to say it when he in the hot tob with Sephiroth!

Sheesh. Ok, for weeners like you, I will clarify, the localization was bad. I never played the japanese version so maybe it looked like it was written by a dislexic fourth grader and the translators just held true to the original. A good localizer would say, "This part is obscure" or "These guys must have been smoking some crack when they wrote this." He would then alter the text, while remaining true to its intent, in order to to make it more understandable for the western audience. Languages can't be translated literally. When Japanese greet one another, they say, "Please be nice to me." Doesn't that sound akward in english? Jeez...

fear_this
02-18-2002, 12:53 AM
The whole final fantasy series is stupid. I dont even know why there making more games of it. Enough is enough already. :eek:

X-Factor
02-18-2002, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by fear_this
The whole final fantasy series is stupid. I dont even know why there making more games of it. Enough is enough already. :eek:
Well that is your opinion, fear_this. Nothing but opinion, opinion, opinion. And just because that's what you think, that doesn't mean I have to agree with you.

Some of us actually like Final Fantasy...;)

GRAVEDIGGER
02-26-2002, 11:04 PM

Well that is your opinion, fear_this. Nothing but opinion, opinion, opinion. And just because that's what you think, that doesn't mean I have to agree with you.

Some of us actually like Final Fantasy...;)

Well, i have to say that i see where fear_this is coming from, the game does get friggin frustrating. I mean dam you walk outside and all of a sudden you're in a full-fledged fight, and you didnt even see the crap your fighting to begin with untill you walked in the grass or some-**** like that?!?..so whats up with that..what i wanna know is whats so good about this game?

Untill next time, the GRAVEDIGGER has spoken:mad:

Dar
02-28-2002, 09:39 PM
FFVII - Coolest characters, Materia system rocked, graphics were ok but seem bad now, my favorite.

FFVIII - Boring characters, graphically the best, the junction system was pretty weak, Quistis was friggin hot

FFIX - Well, the streak had to end sometime, overall pretty easy, graphics were retarded, not bad but not up to par

Huckleberry
03-01-2002, 01:38 AM
vii and viii were the best. if they could have put the incredible graphics of x into those...jeez. i just finished x and the story is cool, and the graphics are great, but it seems like with each iteration of this game, it gets more like watching a movie than playing a game. also, the side quests in this game are mind-boggling. i put in 110 hours (could have beaten it after about 50) just to try and build up a couple of the characters with their complete ultimate weapons (there's three steps to this!). some of what they wanted you to do there would be no way to find out on you own. thank God for faqs. i didn't do any spoilers or game walk-throughs, but for some of the side quests, there is NO WAY to even find them without a quest faq.

that said, i enjoyed the game, but i can't wait for the new non-linear string of rpg's coming out. first, morrowind...then project ego...and now the newest one...star wars

Gammer4Life
03-03-2002, 09:24 PM
I like FF3 and FF Mystic Quest and FFII

X-Factor
03-05-2002, 11:57 AM
I think FFII, FFIII, FFVII, FFVIII, and FFX are the best to bare the Final Fantasy name.

FFV, FFVI, and FFIX bring shame to the Final Fantasy name.

Don't even get me started on Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within.

Dre
03-11-2002, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Huckleberry
that said, i enjoyed the game, but i can't wait for the new non-linear string of rpg's coming out. first, morrowind...then project ego...and now the newest one...star wars

Project Ego is linear, just not in the traditional sense.

This is from http://planetxbox.com/projectego/ on March 8th...

Dene Carter confirmed today on the official Big Blue Box Forums that Ego's storyline will indeed be linear (as with most other RPG storylines). However, don't be disheartened by this- a linear story can still have multiple ways to complete it:

Not all plot lines lead to a feeling of linearity though. Imagine what you would have done in Frodo's position, for example. The plot is still the same - destroy the ring, but who you meet and what you do is quite open. What we do is create central 'funnels' - i.e. at some point, you're going to need to do this specific thing to get any further (learn a specific ritual, solve a particular puzzle etc.), but many things (how you choose to do it, when you find out, etc.) will be utterly individual. We've also taken a lot of time to make the main plot in the game flexible, so that the interpretation of it is very open to the player.

So there you have it!

Formula_91
03-14-2002, 08:44 PM
FFI, FFIV, FFVI are the best...
and if u disagree because of the graphics...
then you might as well not even talk about the FF Games!
The ps games were all great...even FFIX

Of course square made other great games like Chrono Trigger and Xenogears! ^_^

Calve
03-17-2002, 04:02 PM
C'Mon peeps !!! these are xbox forums!!! ne ways the final fantasy series is crap!! it is way to linear... how can u call this an RPG?!?!?!?! You finish the way the developer wants you to not the way you want to!!! it is not an rpg!! and wahts so fun about running into invisible monsters??? man i dont know about u people but morrowind is going to be the best xbox game for a while!!!:cool:

X-Factor
03-31-2002, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by Calve
C'Mon peeps !!! these are xbox forums!!! ne ways the final fantasy series is crap!! it is way to linear... how can u call this an RPG?!?!?!?! You finish the way the developer wants you to not the way you want to!!! it is not an rpg!! and wahts so fun about running into invisible monsters??? man i dont know about u people but morrowind is going to be the best xbox game for a while!!!:cool: I wish people could refrain from making such nonsensical posts. No one asked you for your opinion, Calve!

Carnage
03-31-2002, 10:12 PM
FF 1-3 were my favourites. Never got around to playing 4-6.
I bought 7 for the pc; it wasnt bad. 8 and 9 I didnt enjoy much. And ive only briefly played 10.

Chrono Trigger was great as well. but if were talking about classic RPGs, what about the dragon warrior series! I loved each and everyone of them! :cool:

X-Factor
03-31-2002, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Carnage
FF 1-3 were my favourites. Never got around to playing 4-6.
I bought 7 for the pc; it wasnt bad. 8 and 9 I didnt enjoy much. And ive only briefly played 10.

Chrono Trigger was great as well. but if were talking about classic RPGs, what about the dragon warrior series! I loved each and everyone of them! :cool: I loved FFII, and III. My favorite FF was probably VII, or VIII (great characters in both games). FFX, graphically, is very impressive, but it isn't my favorite. I haven't played it all the way through, though, so I can't judge.

:)

Yannie Boy
04-10-2002, 11:33 AM
& was the best out of all of them. X was good and all but 7 was the best.

Yannie Boy
04-10-2002, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Calve
C'Mon peeps !!! these are xbox forums!!! ne ways the final fantasy series is crap!! it is way to linear... how can u call this an RPG?!?!?!?! You finish the way the developer wants you to not the way you want to!!! it is not an rpg!! and wahts so fun about running into invisible monsters??? man i dont know about u people but morrowind is going to be the best xbox game for a while!!!:cool:

I wish i was there to smack some sense into you.
How can you say something like that???

JGennaro
04-18-2002, 09:12 PM
I must say I am HAPPY with the amount of people that said Final Fantasy VIII was good! You have no idea how long I've been sticking to this point of view regardless of the amount of times I've had criticism on this very point...I enjoyed Final Fantasy VII as well...and I really kinda pushed myself through IX...not entirely enjoying it very much...but it was alright...but if you stuck with VIII all the way through the end you were treated to a VERY cool ending sequence and had a pretty fun ride on the way there too, if that's your cup o' tea! ;)

JJaX
04-24-2002, 11:56 AM
I enjoyed every FF game since Mystick quest.

My favorite FF moment was finally getting the Knights of the round Summon in FF IV and defeating those 2 really really hard ultimate beast things. (ya know, the one in the ocean and the one in deseret.)

Carnage
04-24-2002, 04:56 PM
lol i remember that spell taking FOREVER to cast.. and having to cast it like 8 times to beat those things. :p

Dre
04-25-2002, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by JJaX
I enjoyed every FF game since Mystick quest.

My favorite FF moment was finally getting the Knights of the round Summon in FF IV and defeating those 2 really really hard ultimate beast things. (ya know, the one in the ocean and the one in deseret.)

Ya.. what the hell is up with Mystic Quest? I never played it b4.. couple of weeks ago I loaded it up in my trusty SNES (read: Hellz no.. my emulator foo:D) and played for like 20-30 minutes. I dunno if its just the beginning, but I thought it blew major chunks. I had control over the guy for like 2 minutes, and that was just to jump. Maybe I didn't take enough time for it..

Anyhoo, ya.. I remember seeing the Knights of the Round Table summon the first time.. I was totally amazed.. but then, after doing it over and over.. it kinda got long. But damn it kicked some ass. What was it? 12 knights??

I beat those dudes too.. and I remember it being really hard. But.. for one of the biggest fights in the game.. I can't remember at all what the reward was..

X-Factor
04-27-2002, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by JGennaro
I must say I am HAPPY with the amount of people that said Final Fantasy VIII was good! You have no idea how long I've been sticking to this point of view regardless of the amount of times I've had criticism on this very point...I enjoyed Final Fantasy VII as well...and I really kinda pushed myself through IX...not entirely enjoying it very much...but it was alright...but if you stuck with VIII all the way through the end you were treated to a VERY cool ending sequence and had a pretty fun ride on the way there too, if that's your cup o' tea! ;) Final Fantasy VIII is the greatest game ever to bear the name. The core of any Final Fantasy game has always been its story, and Final Fantasy VIII's story is the best in the series - and likely the genre - has ever seen. With Final Fantasy VII, Square showed the world that it had mastered the epic; with VIII, it shows that it has mastered the personal. The characters and their relationships are all extremely believable and complex; moreover, the core romance holds up even under the most pessimistic scrutiny. The decision to eschew a cast of dozens and focus on a central cast of six major characters appears to have been a wise one. The characters don't seem like base archetypes or generic "heroes," but like actual people.

Final Fantasy VIII combines a fantastic story, amazing visuals, a great cast of characters, excellent sound with solid RPG gameplay, an eminently tweakable junction system, and scads of secrets and extras. Plus, Squall just happens to be one of my favorite characters of all time.

-The X-Factor Smack :cool:

twilla
04-27-2002, 10:51 PM
what are you guys smoking ff1x was great.

1.the story was very good, not overly complex or stupid.
2.the characters were great and well balanced.
3.the battles were fun and not boring.
4.the magic system was well balanced not like the stupid
materia system in ffv11 which had you in yhe menu screen
more than any ff game.
5.ff1x was easier to complete than most ff games however
and I didnt like the card battles.
6.FF1X had the best ending to an rpg ever, the ending to
FFV11 was awful, all that work for that crap.

X-Factor
04-28-2002, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by twilla
what are you guys smoking ff1x was great.

1.the story was very good, not overly complex or stupid.
2.the characters were great and well balanced.
3.the battles were fun and not boring.
4.the magic system was well balanced not like the stupid
materia system in ffv11 which had you in yhe menu screen
more than any ff game.
5.ff1x was easier to complete than most ff games however
and I didnt like the card battles.
6.FF1X had the best ending to an rpg ever, the ending to
FFV11 was awful, all that work for that crap. And that is YOUR opinion, and I respect that. Here are some of my thoughts on the FFVII-XI...

Final Fantasy IX has been billed as a return to the series' roots, but this is an oversimplification. The roots of the Final Fantasy series have always been appealing characters, an epic story, engaging battles, and an impressive presentation. Elements such as airships, pointy-hatted mages, and crystals have always just been surface symbols, while an emotional tale of humanity in the face of adversity lies at the core of each installment of the series. That's not to say that the return to the older art style is unimportant or without meaning. Final Fantasy VII boosted the role-playing game market on two new continents, and Final Fantasy VIII sold the most copies of any game in the series. Both games were critically acclaimed. So why tinker with a winning formula???

The taste of nostalgia is always bittersweet, so I ended up feeling that Final Fantasy IX signals the end of an era. At times, the force of the series' heritage threatens to overwhelm the narrative, and the game teeters dangerously close to becoming some sort of meta-RPG about the Final Fantasy series. Allegedly Square internally debated if Final Fantasy IX should have been released as a main series title or as a side story. The concern seems valid, because at times, the way Final Fantasy IX encompasses all that has come before makes it feel as if it exists outside of the main series.

For fans of traditional role-playing games, Final Fantasy X's drastic design shifts, and Final Fantasy XI's online-only focus are the writing on the wall. After the aesthetically revolutionary Final Fantasy VII and the dramatic maturity of Final Fantasy VIII, the complacent Final Fantasy IX may seem like somewhat of a throwback. But some players may not mind one bit, as they prefer a polished if traditional role-playing game over the sometimes awkward consequences of more original play mechanics. Final Fantasy IX marked the end of an era, and Final Fantasy X marked the start of the new generation of the Final Fantasy series...

-The X-Factor Smack

twilla
04-28-2002, 05:12 PM
what in the world are you talking about address the materia system, the unbalanced characters, the stupid ending, the
way it got extremly boring in the end when you were forced
to search for strong monsters to fight to raise your teams
strength.

hellook
05-10-2002, 11:14 AM
The game had the greatest moives of them all but the game had harrable grafix
and vivi was the best ever

X-Factor
05-19-2002, 03:22 PM
Final Fantasy IX had a great cast of characters (vivi was simply awesome), and a very intriuging storyline. FFIX is a highly polished role-playing game with more "traditional" RPG elements.

It seemed to be somewhat of a throwback to me after playing the aesthetically revolutionary Final Fantasy VII, and playing the dramatic maturity of Final Fantasy VIII.

But the game still had some good points, and is still a Final Fantasy Favorite to me. It's just not as high up on my list as some of the other Final Fantasy games...:D

-The X-Factor Smack http://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/images/icons/icon8.gif

X-Factor
06-05-2002, 04:57 PM
Have any of you played Final Fantasy III for SNES??? Now that game is a classic. That is probably (gameplay wise) the best Final Fantasy ever.

Have any of you played Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross. Both of those games are pure RPG bliss...:D

Just curious...:confused:

y2kash_14
06-05-2002, 11:26 PM
FF7 and FF10 i liked

X-Factor
06-05-2002, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by y2kash_14
FF7 and FF10 i liked Yeah, but which one is your favorite? :confused: I personally would take FFVII (although FFX is a very impressive game).

Have you ever played Final Fantasy VIII; bar none the best cast of characters in the FF series.

y2kash_14
06-05-2002, 11:55 PM
Yeah, but which one is your favorite? :confused: I personally would take FFVII (although FFX is a very impressive game).

Have you ever played Final Fantasy VIII; bar none the best cast of characters in the FF series.

ok i like FFVII better :)

X-Factor
06-06-2002, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by y2kash_14

ok i like FFVII better :) You still didn't answer my question. :rolleyes:

**points to above post**