PDA

View Full Version : Halo 3 to compete directly with Playstation 3?

LTM360
02-27-2005, 11:38 AM
Off the Record 02.25.05
Here are two rumors you haven't heard anywhere else...
by U. R. Agossip

February 25, 2005 - You've dialed Off the Record, the inner workings of IGN Xbox. This is the ongoing and unofficial place to learn what's going on behind the scenes of the videogame industry, specifically for the Xbox. When we learn it, we tell you here. Check back each Friday to find out what else has happened in this fast-paced, ever-changing industry.

In the last few weeks, Mr. Agossip, our new snoop here at IGN Xbox, has gleaned the watercoolers of America looking for good, clean rumors to offer you. These two stories should whet your whistle quite well.

Mercenary Strike
The game you know and love called Mercenaries was not always a LucasArts game. It was once something quite different. Three sources have helped piece together this little story for you, and two of them have died to provide this crucial news. First, Mercenaries was at one time an EA game. And second, it was, at one time, going to be the next iteration in the publisher's long-running, but recently absent, Strike series.

Can you see it? Mercenaries as a Strike game? Totally. This short re-telling of the story goes back a few years. About two years ago, EA contracted Pandemic to make a Strike game, and in the process of about 10 months, it went from being a helicopter game to a third-person action game, back to.... blah blah who cares about this....

Halo 3 In Production
Yes, we have news about Halo 3. IGN learned last week while drinking secretly imported beers with its informants that Microsoft is prepared for the battle of its life in this upcoming console war. From what we understand, Bungie is hard at work on, not so surprisingly, Halo 3, which will be ready day and date with the launch of PlayStation 3.

So, while Bungie said it's working on something else, well, we have different news. Sure, the smart creative guys at Bungie are working on something else, but you had better bet your bottom dollar they're also working on the next Halo. The release of Halo 3 at the precise launch of PS3 is a pure, military tactical move, similar to the PS2's greatest lineup ever launching simultaneously with the launch of the Xbox and GameCube. It's designed to counter Sony's upcoming launch with the best weapon Earth has on its side, Master Chief. Go, John 17, go! Save Earth from Sony!

If they can finish Halo 3 by that time, I'll say this should be very interesting.

BlindSniper
02-27-2005, 11:53 AM
Wow, that is an interesting rumour....
I don't want halo 3 to be rushed though. That would be very funny though, and would probably take a somewhat chunk out of ps3's sales.

Wolfboy_888
02-27-2005, 01:16 PM
apparently they make a better game when rushed..

1 > 2

lllSmokelll
02-27-2005, 01:25 PM
would probably take a somewhat chunk out of ps3's sales.
uhhh why would it?

people that have PS2's (which is a lot) u think its gona stop them buying a pS3 just cause Halo 3 is coming out?

Casper
02-27-2005, 01:27 PM
Didn't Bungie already say that they were working on H2 and H3 at the same thing? This isn't really shocking to me.

Xer0Mercy
02-27-2005, 01:35 PM
This is cool. Now that they're more used to meeting a deadline, I think they'll be able to actually finish it in time now. They should have learned their lesson from H2 and become a more efficient team to make the game better, in a shorter amount of time.

Snowblind
02-27-2005, 02:05 PM
So are they still going to make the Halo 2 Directers Cut for the NextBox? :huh:

Variation-XBA
02-27-2005, 02:07 PM
If they somehow managaged to pull this together and launch it same day as PS3, next gen "war" will be right.... MS has the gahones if they can do it.

SamSmith
02-27-2005, 04:07 PM
well i sure dont want halo 2,5!! i dont want this game rushed out... it better live up to the fantastic halo2... they know it needs to.
but i hope that instead of just making use of the consoles power (like halo) i want it to push it to its limits like halo2... i would worry since on the early years of a console games dont really make use of its full power... only when it is maturing you know?
thats whats happening to xbox right now, with D3, H2 and rid**** and loads more

LiquidX
02-27-2005, 04:41 PM
I dont trust the rumors of anyone who calles the MC John 17, it's 117! :D But its not hard to believe since everyone is expecting the Xbox 2/Next/360 to launch like a year ahead of PS3... That means they have around 1 and 1/2 more years. Most likely they would reuse the H2 engine with only a few improvements to cut down on development time. It could definately be done.

thAshAdyOne
02-27-2005, 06:16 PM
all I'm saying is this...is it hard to htink that H3 was being worked on as part of h2..but got cut and is being built on as the mindblowing h3?

Sammael
02-27-2005, 06:26 PM
Game Informer reported this 3 months ago.

GuiltySpark
02-27-2005, 06:43 PM
So, Halo 3 in 2007? I can't wait!

I hope they have something at e3 that has to do with halo. It would be in M$'s best interest to release something Halo-ish for the 360...

The 360 launch is going to be mega-tacular....

CMX Jedi
02-27-2005, 06:48 PM
i think they where a lot farther in production on halo 2 then what we got, and they just cut it off there and saved the rest for h3 :confused:

Nervusbreakdown
02-27-2005, 07:07 PM
yeah I read that at ign.com if this is true it can really hurt sony in some way but not in a big way.

vman
02-27-2005, 07:57 PM
Not surprising to me at all. I knew they wouldnt have H3 at launch for X2. I would have done the same thing if I was MS&Bungie. That was actually what I was hoping they would do. Still, its a rumor, so we have yet to see what will happen.

Rochey69r
02-28-2005, 12:37 AM
i recon halo 2 was awesome and was argueing eith a friend about it..he reckons its crap. then he asked me this 'how many times did we play campaign mode on halo 1?' my reply 'heaps, lost count by far' then he goes 'ok, well how many times have you beaten halo 2?' and i pause..........'once...' and thats when it hit me that Halo 2 was crap! the multiplayer is UNREAL...but story mode sucks and takes away from the whole thing..IMO Halo 2....8/10 game...Halo 1....10/10....

i wonder how halo 3 will be considering halo 2 took years and halo 3 will only be in production for 2 years at max and perphaps not have the whole bungie team working on it?

hmmm time will tell

MerimacHamwich
02-28-2005, 01:24 AM
And then you realise Halo 1 was out for 3 years before Halo 2 came out. As well, Halo 2 has only been out for 3-4 months. Ofcourse you've played Halo 1 more.

CRAYMAN
02-28-2005, 12:06 PM
uhhh why would it?

people that have PS2's (which is a lot) u think its gona stop them buying a pS3 just cause Halo 3 is coming out?

Releasing a 'groundbreaking' game at the same time that Sony's PS3 is released will definitely impact the sales of the PS3. Certainly unless Sony has a comparable title to launch with it. Isn't that what happened at the launch of the Xbox?

Plus, there is a financial consideration. With all of the new games coming out for the
Xbox recently, I have NOT purchased a GC. Even though I want to play RE4, I can buy Mercenaries, Street Fighter Collection and ANY other game and STILL have $$$ left as opposed to getting a Cube, memory card and RE4.

And then you realise Halo 1 was out for 3 years before Halo 2 came out. As well, Halo 2 has only been out for 3-4 months. Ofcourse you've played Halo 1 more.

Yeah, but I think it's fairly well accepted/acknowledged that Halo1's campaign is better than Halo2's.
On a side note: Why do I HAVE to play as the stupid Arbiter??? I wanna be the MC!!!! :bang:

wbio
02-28-2005, 07:44 PM
Not surprising to me at all. I knew they wouldnt have H3 at launch for X2. I would have done the same thing if I was MS&Bungie. That was actually what I was hoping they would do. Still, its a rumor, so we have yet to see what will happen.
I don't think it's coming out at the Xbox launch, because Xbox is supposed to launch a year before PS3, and this says it is coming at the same time as the PS3. ANyways, I hope this is true, and if it is, I hope Halo 3 is awesome just like 1 and 2.

lllSmokelll
02-28-2005, 09:28 PM
Releasing a 'groundbreaking' game at the same time that Sony's PS3 is released will definitely impact the sales of the PS3. Certainly unless Sony has a comparable title to launch with it. Isn't that what happened at the launch of the Xbox?

Plus, there is a financial consideration. With all of the new games coming out for the
Xbox recently, I have NOT purchased a GC. Even though I want to play RE4, I can buy Mercenaries, Street Fighter Collection and ANY other game and STILL have $$$ left as opposed to getting a Cube, memory card and RE4.

no ur wrong. all the peoeple in the world that have a ps2 arent gona care about halo 3, hell ps2 people didnt even care when Halo 2 came out, so wut would they care about more, PS3 or a game that they dont care about. id rather have a ps3 than halo 3 any day :confused: :huh:

Whisper
02-28-2005, 10:18 PM
guys this is like politics.. there wont be enough people switching sides to make any impact.. sony will continue to lead in sales and popularity

Rochey69r
03-01-2005, 12:18 AM

If I had a rubber hose I would beat you with it for that smart ass comment. You know what I mean, but im assuming you dont because why would you post something stupid if you knew what I meant?

I played Halo 1's campaign mode heaps and heaps and heaps...more than multiplayer split screen. Within 6 months i'd beaten every level on every difficulty several times.

With Halo 2 being released '3-4 months' i've finished it once on normal.

my point- Halo 1 had way better campaign mode levels than Halo 2.

Variation-XBA
03-01-2005, 01:20 AM
my point- Halo 1 had way better campaign mode levels than Halo 2.

That's one opinion, doesn't mean your's is right either

CRAYMAN
03-02-2005, 01:52 PM
no ur wrong. all the peoeple in the world that have a ps2 arent gona care about halo 3, hell ps2 people didnt even care when Halo 2 came out, so wut would they care about more, PS3 or a game that they dont care about. id rather have a ps3 than halo 3 any day :confused: :huh:

Well, that comment is patently false. There are PLENTY of people that have since traded, ditched or otherwise abandoned their PS2 BECAUSE of the Xbox.
Furthermore, if you would rather OWN a console rather than a game, you're the very ANTITHESIS of the discriminating gamer who values GAMES over the console. :huh:

guys this is like politics.. there wont be enough people switching sides to make any impact.. sony will continue to lead in sales and popularity

That's what Nintendo said!

Whisper
03-02-2005, 02:39 PM
but nintendo made a collosus blunder.. sony will not.. micrsoft might

CRAYMAN
03-02-2005, 07:41 PM
Sony already did. They opened the door and MS is taking advantage. They didn't foresee the demand for online gaming. As such, MS already has a headstart in that area.
MS is a newcomer to this market(console) and Sony is catching its breath trying to keep up. That's how it appears at this point.
Maybe E3 will be a turning point for Sony. It needs to be.

Variation-XBA
03-02-2005, 10:27 PM
E3 this year is really going to be interesting, not just cause we get to see the next systems, but the direction each company is going to try and head.

SamSmith
03-03-2005, 10:28 AM
i might be at e3 this year... OKG that would be the best thing ever! crap i live thousands of miles away though! but still, E3... i aim to be there

TheCovenant
03-03-2005, 11:08 AM
me, the skankeez and doc are going to have a blast at e3 this year.

oh yea, matrix maul, spartan and blueranger and most likely pink ranger are comin' too. but skankeez!Woohoo!

anyways, it would make sense that h2 had an actual conclsion, as stated in interviews prior to the games release, but microsoft knew that it would be difficult to sustain a preemptive launch and keep the most advanced technology in the market. The foundation that "live" has implemented in the undustry is collosal, however, in the next generation that could change, as technology determines everything in the online stature. Smart move from microsoft to look at halo 2, and cut it so abrubptly, that you have to find out what happens. As much as anyone hates halo 2, im sure even the biggest skeptic, will at least quander as to the result of the galactic civil, and annexationist war. Microsoft knows that halo sells, and to compete with a console weith greater technology it has to have something big in store. Of course, halo 3 is a perfect, almost obvious solution.

However, jeopordizing the halo name was a bold move on microsofts part. If they cut the game and rush it, people may not hold it in as-high regards as before, making the entire cut and continue solution false. I guess we'll just have to see how this turns out, come 2006.