PDA

View Full Version : DOA creator badmouths Tekken

Casper
02-28-2005, 02:02 PM
Oh, the irony:

Dead or Alive creator and leader of Team Ninja Tomonobu Itagaki spoke with 1up.com about the DoA series, tournaments, and other fighting games. He had some very pointed things to say about Tekken 5. From the article: "First they put in all of these half-finished "features", then they take them right out again. Tag fights, elevation differences, walls. I don't know if it's because they're impatient, or because they lack the ability, but no matter the reason those guys are a pretty weird bunch. Any of those things would have become a bonafide feature if they took the time to do it right."

entire interview (http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3138627&did=1)

Conchord
02-28-2005, 03:23 PM
LOL...I guess Itagaki has room to talk though, seeing as how team ninja produces polished games...then again, I've never been a fan of tekken.

SamSmith
02-28-2005, 04:44 PM
i liked tekken back on ps1.. i had the first tekken on ps2, but didnt reach my standards... doa is a fine tuned fighter, and online play makes it top of the genre!

Nervusbreakdown
02-28-2005, 04:50 PM
I love it when he talks crap.

Compete with the weak!

Snowblind
02-28-2005, 05:26 PM
He has the right to talk ****. Look at Ninja Gaiden, DOA 3 and Ultimate; they're all excellent games.

Itagaki represnt'n . :)

CRAYMAN
02-28-2005, 07:02 PM
I LOVE Itagaki! He's the MAN. I can't remember the mag, but they had a section called "Ask Itagaki" and it was hilarious. He didn't intend it to be funny, but it was.
And yes, he talks trash and backs it up!

skorp
02-28-2005, 10:31 PM
hahaha... Well, he is one guy who can talk the talk.... and also walk...

Variation-XBA
03-01-2005, 01:12 AM
Good, people are too tight lipped about what they really think :P

Casper
03-01-2005, 08:35 AM
I dunno - I still think it's the blind picking on the deaf. Soul Calibur still owns both series in the fighting genre, so I don't see how #2 can trash #3 when they're still not #1.

Regardless, DOA is polished, but I still don't think it's a great fighter. Tekken is just, I dunno, played out and overrated. They're both button mashers.

Sammael
03-01-2005, 08:47 AM
I'm not a fan of the DoA games. To me Tekken takes much more skill then DoA, but I'm not a fan of the Tekken games anymore either.

Although dude is cool for talking trash. He is the gangsta of game development.

Max33
03-01-2005, 11:44 AM
I dunno - I still think it's the blind picking on the deaf. Soul Calibur still owns both series in the fighting genre, so I don't see how #2 can trash #3 when they're still not #1.

Regardless, DOA is polished, but I still don't think it's a great fighter. Tekken is just, I dunno, played out and overrated. They're both button mashers.

I have to disagree about DOA being a buton masher.The counter system adds solid dimension to the fighting mechanics.Somebody just randomly attacking will get dealt with real fast.

Sammael
03-01-2005, 01:04 PM
Max I'm sorry but the counter system (if you can call it thought) adds nothing but another button to mash. I could see if it took a combination of buttons to execute a counter, but as it stands all someone has to do is repeatedly mash the counter button, while someone is attacking and they are bound to counter something.

CRAYMAN
03-01-2005, 01:04 PM
I have to disagree about DOA being a buton masher.The counter system adds solid dimension to the fighting mechanics.Somebody just randomly attacking will get dealt with real fast.

Yeah, I play none of them, but it appears to be LARGELY a matter of preference. :cool:

Shadow20002
03-01-2005, 05:18 PM
Hmm...anyway, DOA series is a easier game than Tekken series but not a button masher type.

LTM360
03-01-2005, 10:06 PM
I think they all take skill. :shrug:

Soul Calibur II however being the game I believe takes the most skill... Yes, I have changed my opinion about SC II since the fighting debate on this board last time. I'm sorry JJaX. :)

CarGuy
03-01-2005, 10:45 PM
Max I'm sorry but the counter system (if you can call it thought) adds nothing but another button to mash. I could see if it took a combination of buttons to execute a counter, but as it stands all someone has to do is repeatedly mash the counter button, while someone is attacking and they are bound to counter something.

WRONG.

Jamo
03-02-2005, 10:14 AM
Hahahahaa. Well countering can be dealt with easily... grab. Simple as that. Overcountering is a bad thing on the counterer. THats wat you think if you're bound to get a counter. Uh uh. YOu may get a counter or two in... but you won't win. -_-

Sammael
03-02-2005, 10:15 AM
WRONG.

Exactly right.

JJaX
03-08-2005, 04:06 PM

You can also throw a counter a good half a second before the attack and still pull it off. Counters are to easy and common. Nothing is like SCs Guard impact feature, in which counters can be countered infinitly.

DOA is for people that press buttons and think they are in "total control".

Grow up, play SC2.

Jamo
03-09-2005, 12:55 AM
I did grow up. I played Soul Calibur 2. And frankly... I dont give a crap. I got bored of it. DOA has yet to bore me. Thinking your in control? Is that an insult...? Please. Do we really have to go through this again? Besides if you would pay attention and actually PLAY DOAU You'd notice that the span of the counter has been shortened. With the edition of a new counter it makes things a bit more refined and difficult. of course people who only play it for a couple minutes and automatically dismiss it just because all they want to play is Soul Calibur couldn't possibly notice it. i gave Soul Calibur 2 a week. And then made my desicion. I still like Soul Calibur 2. But I no longer own it. DOA just is more to my liking. :p

Hmm lets see. I have a feeling I'm going to get hammered and told that im not a real fighter lol but I don't care :rofl: . A real fighter gives all fighting games a fighting chance. Thats my opinion. Now if you just don't like the game then just say so. Don't just sit there and name off comparisons between two fighting games on why it's better or why it sux.

Oh and if you'r constantly getting countered in DOA... well then... you suck pretty much. You are probably being too predictable or aggressive. If your oponent is being countered a lot by you well then your oponent sux. When I get countered a lot I know what I did wrong. And Don't tell me I don't kno what I'm talking about because I do.

... somehow I think either no one bothered to read this or they are going to flame me for saying all that. Hmm. Lets see what you all have to say about what I just said. PLEASE feel free to say what you wish. And i'll counter it as best I can.

JJaX
03-09-2005, 09:35 AM
^^ :rolleyes:

This coming from someone who has a DOA character as their avatar.

I'm done here.

I barley spend enought time here as it is, I'm not going to spend it arguing with some DOA fanboy.

Jamo
03-09-2005, 11:32 AM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Damn Right I have a DOA character as my avatar. Is that such a crime? And I don't want to argue either. I just don't want people automatically saying DOA is a bad fighter just because some people said so.

I'm a DOA fanboy so what. :confused: I have more fun playing it than an other fighting game. And as long as people keep bashing it... I'll keep defending it.

Well if you're done then I'm done to. Unless anyone else has something else to say? :watchout:

CRAYMAN
03-09-2005, 03:30 PM
Hey Jamo, how is DOA online?

Jamo
03-09-2005, 09:25 PM
It has it's problems. Sometimes it's real agrivating. This tends to only happen though hen someone is lagging really bad. The lag itself is not normal lag either. Instead of a delay after you ppressed the button it just takes away from the framerate instead. That way you both suffer. Sounds horrible I know but it's actually not that bad. I've played tons of lagless matches before and it's awlays fun to fight. But don't let me tell you how it is. All in all it's very fun. The rooms are set up like arcade. YOu lose... back of the line. You win you stay and fight again. But dont take my word for it try it out for yourself and go from there. If you'd like and if our connection together is good enough (sometimes I can't connect to people due to connection problems) I'll be happy to fight you.

Dyslexic Chaos
03-10-2005, 05:11 AM
Alright, leave it to me to lay it down, tell it like it is :p. Okay, Tekken is the biggest button masher of the big 4 (Tekken, DOA, SC and Virtua Fighter), then DOA, then Virtua Fighter, then Soul Calibur, although button mashing can be used semi-effectively in all of them. BUT, to say that the DOA reversal system is too easy is COMPLETELY, UTTERLY FALSE. With DOAU, it is revamped and now requires one of FIVE directions to counter. Yeah, mash on the counter button my ASS. And before i get bashed too hard, I have owned at LEAST two of each of these series, and I love them all, but my preference is as follows.

#4)Tekken
#3)Virtua Fighter
#2)DOA
#1)Soul Calibur

Discuss.

CRAYMAN
03-10-2005, 02:27 PM
It has it's problems....If you'd like and if our connection together is good enough (sometimes I can't connect to people due to connection problems) I'll be happy to fight you.

No thanks. I know where my ass is. I don't need it handed to me. :D

AlphaRaptor
03-10-2005, 03:17 PM
I don't see DOA as a buttom masher, you will suck if you button mash. At first before you know the moves, DOA may seem like a button masher (What fighting games don't?) but once you know the moves you will develop your favorite combos and gain experience. I know when im playing some newbie who's mindlessly button mashing and of course, they don't stand a chance. DOA has been the only fighting game i've got hooked on.