PDA

View Full Version : Calling all NASCAR fans to Bundy's NASCAR challenge.

Bundy
02-11-2002, 07:47 PM
Ok so with the NASCAR season about to begin, I thought a contest would be fun a cool. First let me state that is for fun and there will not be prizes. Sorry the Bundy man is poor ;)

Here is how i think this would work. If you have NASCAR Thunder or Heat, then you should be able to play. Basically you will do a race each week that the Winston Cup has a race. You will race the same track with your favorite driver. We can keep points just like cup does.

Things to be determined, race length, damage, tires, cautions, etc. I am up for anything. We will just need a consensus.

We could say that all races have to be completed by the Monday after the actually race. We can have a weekly thread, where you post a picture of the results of your race. I will do the score keeping.

Now for the options to be determined, that will have to be on the honor system, but since we don't actually win anything, it shouldn't be a big reason to cheat.

So anybody game, any comments?

leecow
02-12-2002, 12:12 PM
Sounds like fun though I have "too many irons in the fire" until late April and would be unable to participate regularly until then.

That said I have a couple ideas and a question or two.

*Would allowing both Thunder and Heat really work?
*Are the "hard core" modes in Heat and Thunder of comparable challenge?
*If final results include total race time in Heat and Thunder then that's a good way to decide who wins. Everyone posts their race time which is colated giving us who ran the event the fastest.
*Competitions should be run with AI cranked all the way up, damage set to it's highest level and all caution/rule settings turned on.
*Race length should be long enough to require one pit stop.

Having results due on the Monday after might be a little tough for me. Don't know about others but I typically record the race (Sunday morning commitments ya know) and watch it in the late afternoon or evening. Maybe results due on Wed would be a good compromise?

Bundy
02-12-2002, 12:25 PM
We can make it anyway the group decides. Wednesday is fine by me. And I figured we could have people come in and out as they please. As for me I have a vacation over a few weekends and I am sure work will have me out of town on a few others. It would be ok with me if people who came in late or missed a week could still submit. Just a rule I would invoke is that you can only submit a race once.

I am not familiar with heat, but I figured it would be similar enough to do a race and report some standings. If nobody knows then I am going to go with Thunder since that is what I have. :cool:

I believe on Thunder as long as the race is 5% or greater then it makes you take a pit stop. I was figuring race lengths should be about 20%.

Well that should answer all your questions. If you have anymore questions/comments/additions be sure to post them. Also try to get anybody you know the join up on this. The more people the funnier it will be. If we get enough participation, I might through a web page together.

Xboxderekman
02-13-2002, 10:16 AM
I am really into nascar, (go JEFF GORDON!!) and i dont have the games, nascar heat or thunder :( So i cant do it, also, i dont have a digital camera =( Oh well, here my idea:

:::::Record data and post it::::::::::::::::

:::::::Be honest:::::::::::::::::::::::::: LOL bad idea

Theres internet play tho....Just a thought...

Bundy
02-13-2002, 10:32 AM
hey how ever you record the info is fine with me.. and the honestly thing is ok since there are no prizes and it is just for fun.

Internet play only works on heat. ANd i wanted to do this following the season.

I have to give my support to the man: Dale Earnhardt, Jr.

leecow
02-13-2002, 11:34 AM
Hey Bundy,

5% race is a pretty short event and would make it easier for people to run (less time) though it would rarely result in a pitstop. For example, Daytona would be only 20 laps and you can run (guessing) about twice that on a tank of gas.

Check to see if Thunder reports total race time as a part of the results. I think results compatibility and determining the diferences in AI settings will be the only way we can mix Thunder and Heat participants.

Bundy
02-13-2002, 11:51 AM
I will look if it reports the laps, but like i said before i would like to see 20% races. Anything over 5% in Thunder and you have to take a pitstop. It wears your tires out, and uses your fuel proportional so you need the pit stop.

nascarfan515
02-13-2002, 03:05 PM
I'm in..i will like to send in the results in by wednesday.Any race over 50% i can not do it(lol).My fav. driver is kyle petty

Bundy
02-13-2002, 04:42 PM
ok so here are the rules.

[list=1]
Races run at 25%
Full damage and caution flags are used
AI is at full strength, Veteran for Thunder and 105% for Heat (leecow's reccomendation)
No assists may be used, such as braking.
The race you run is the same one the Winston Cup guys are currently running
You have till Wednesday after the race to post your results
Take a picture of your result and post it here
Points will follow the cup system, but based on the speeds other ran. Bonus points for laps lead and most last will not be used.

[/list=1]

Good luck everybody, and try to get more people to join up.

leecow
02-14-2002, 10:05 AM
Still trying to determine how and if Heat and Thunder can coexist in the same competition.

Heat allows for race lengths of 15% then 25% (20% is not an option).

AI set to 100% at Daytona produces a top qualifying time in the mid 47's whereas I can run mid to low 46's. What are the qualifying times being seen in Thunder? This would indicate that at Daytona (and probably 'dega) the AI needs to be set higher than 100%. Heat can have a custom AI setting up to 105% which pushed qualifying speeds down to 46.8 and would likely prevent me from driving away during the race though I haven't tried that yet. Does Thunder allow for great than 100% AI strength?

Bundy
02-14-2002, 11:34 AM
lee i will have to get back to you. I can't answer that off the top of my head. I will check after work tonight.

nascarfan515
02-14-2002, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Bundy
ok so here are the rules.

[list=1]
Races run at 20%
Full damage and caution flags are used
AI is at full strength
The race you run is the same one the Winston Cup guys are currently running
You have till Wednesday after the race to post your results
Take a picture of your result and post it here
Points will follow the cup system, but based on the speeds other ran. Bonus points for laps lead and most last will not be used.
[/list=1]

Good luck everybody, and try to get more people to join up.
WHOA!!there is no way i can take a picture of the race result screen

Bundy
02-14-2002, 04:13 PM
Leecow, I did some checking. In heat there appears to be 3 difficuitly settings. I put it on veteran and the top cars ran like 46.3, which sound in line with you. So we can do that.

We will change the race length to 25%.

BTW, i have some work to do to get a 46 second lap. ;)

Bundy
02-14-2002, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by nascarfan515

WHOA!!there is no way i can take a picture of the race result screen

how do you expect to report the results then?

nascarfan
02-14-2002, 04:53 PM
I'm interested in joining but what are you going to do since NASCAR Heat doesn't have all of the tracks.

Go Matt Kenseth! :D

Bundy
02-14-2002, 05:31 PM
wasn't aware of that. You can play any tracks that heat does have. This is ok since we are not doing this for prizes but just for fun.

leecow
02-15-2002, 10:47 AM
Bundy,

Could you comment on the race length question? Heat can do 15% or 25% can Thunder match one of these settings and would you be willing to set this competition's event length to one of these?

Bundy
02-15-2002, 02:24 PM
i updated the rules.. and i forgot to tell you;).. look above.. it is at 25 %

nascarfan515
02-15-2002, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Bundy

how do you expect to report the results then?
type them in...its thats the case then i may be out

leecow
02-15-2002, 06:24 PM
Thanks Bundy,

I doubt the 105% rule will be applicable for non-restrictor plate tracks. To keep it simple and consistent change the Heat AI setting to "Pro".