PDA

View Full Version : My Next Generation Stand

vic2003
03-04-2005, 11:39 AM
Hey guys i have'nt posted here in a while so i decited its time to make a post of my own finnally. Even though i dont post often i visit this site along with teamxbox multiple times a day, im just a lurker. I guess its kinda weird that i read every single topic on these forums but never reply, lol i guess im just lazy or something. Any way on to my subject. with all this next generation talk im getting pretty anxious and excited. The only problem is being a poor college student ill probally be only able to afford one console for the first few years. Though this generation i have soley supported xbox and microsoft, I am not nessasary loyal to xbox (brand loyality is a bad thing). Right now Nintendo revolution is pretty much out of the running, its between the ps3 and xbox 2 (or what ever you want to call it). There are a number of factors that i am consideriting next generation.

- Price. Regardless of new technology I will not spent more than $350 on either console. Maybe $400 max, but probally not.. Also $70 for a game is unaceptiable.

- Oblivion. As in the new elder scrolls game. right now its safe to assume it will come to X2, but its probally coming to PS3 also. I want to play this game in all its glory so if PS3 is really that much more powerfull than X2, and you can see the differance in this game i may lean towards ps3. Also time, its also probally safe to assume it will come to x2 before ps3. If the time differance is alot ill probally lean towards X2.. Although i dont think it will come in 2005 to any system (X2, PC) i say late 2006..

- Controller. I love xbox controller hate ps2 controller. Will microsoft and sony desighn completly new controllers or keep the same ones? also i dont like the whole wireles X2 thing, but well see how it turns out. I love FPS games and xbox controller works great for these.

-Games. I love games like Oblivion, not nessasarly RPG's just BIG games. and i love FPS. I loved halo and halo 2. with ps3 i can see all the good FPS going to ps3 as well as X2. I belive the only reason ps2 was deprived of good FPS was beacuse it was underpowered and maybe controller desighn. Next generation it probally wont be a problem for either console. I can see HL2, HL3, Doom 3 and 4, far cry 2, stalker, unreal 3 being on both consoles as well as plentty other AAA Fps being multiplatform.

- BC. As in backwards compatiable if X2 has it this is a major plus. If PS3 has it i dont care.

-Power. This may or may not be a big factor depending on the differance between the two. If its a big differance like this gen than yeah it will be a factor. If not then no it wont be a factor.

Keep in mind that i will eventually eng up with both consloes just one much later than the other. Feel free to voice you input, just dont bash me cause im not nessarly comited to the next xbox like many of you are. Thanks.

SamSmith
03-04-2005, 07:21 PM
- Price. Regardless of new technology I will not spent more than $350 on either console. Maybe $400 max, but probally not.. Also $70 for a game is unaceptiable.
i dont think you have to worry about price, both ms and sony know that people arent going to pay heaps of money... you can expect it to be below 400 at launch

-
Oblivion. As in the new elder scrolls game. right now its safe to assume it will come to X2, but its probally coming to PS3 also. I want to play this game in all its glory so if PS3 is really that much more powerfull than X2, and you can see the differance in this game i may lean towards ps3. Also time, its also probally safe to assume it will come to x2 before ps3. If the time differance is alot ill probally lean towards X2.. Although i dont think it will come in 2005 to any system (X2, PC) i say late 2006..
well this is a stunning game as you can tell by the screens.. but as of yet you csnt tell which system it will run best on, xbox2 specs havnt been released and ps3s have only been rumoured... id say its safe to say that both xbox2 and ps3 will be very similar in specs... but id imagine xb2 will have a slight edge over ps3 to try to win back its current consumors

-
Controller. I love xbox controller hate ps2 controller. Will microsoft and sony desighn completly new controllers or keep the same ones? also i dont like the whole wireles X2 thing, but well see how it turns out. I love FPS games and xbox controller works great for these.
well i dont think that the xb2 will have wireless controllers, they want to keep the practicallity up and the costs down...
but in terms of design you can expect both consoles to go for if not the same, a very similar control design... although there is talk about that xbox2 controllers might not have the black or white buttons...
-Games. I love games like Oblivion, not nessasarly RPG's just BIG games. and i love
FPS. I loved halo and halo 2. with ps3 i can see all the good FPS going to ps3 as well as X2. I belive the only reason ps2 was deprived of good FPS was beacuse it was underpowered and maybe controller desighn. Next generation it probally wont be a problem for either console. I can see HL2, HL3, Doom 3 and 4, far cry 2, stalker, unreal 3 being on both consoles as well as plentty other AAA Fps being multiplatform.
thats a reasonable presumption, and id say its partly right.. as a good fps should have better hardware to run on... but id say the main reason for the lack of fps games was because the ps2 is basically a japanese console... and more japanese influenced games, and japanese developers work with it.. so that is why we end up seeing mostly rpgs etc... but it was the oposite with the xbox, as it was mainly american, we saw mostly fps games developed as opposed to rpgs.. however MS have fixed this problem for xbox2 though, by signing numerous japanese publishers and developers.

- BC. As in backwards compatiable if X2 has it this is a major plus. If PS3 has it i dont care.
bc is still unconfirmed... and id say there is a 50/50 chance that we will see it in the xbox2

-Power. This may or may not be a big factor depending on the differance between the two. If its a big differance like this gen than yeah it will be a factor. If not then no it wont be a factor.the difference of power is probably going to be small, and it has even been rumoured that xbox2 and ps3 will be using the same ibm processor... even if this is the case it is not a major issue, because depending on the graphics card capabilities of the xbox2s ati card *codenamed FUDO, and understood to be a variation of the R500 or R520.
another important factor (which ps2 was so lacking in) is virtual memory/ RAM... hopefully we will se at least 512mbs of ram in xbox2, or ideally 1gb... but in terms of ram and graphics card capabilities again you can expect both xbox2 and ps3 to be similar

Keep in mind that i will eventually eng up with both consloes just one much later than the other. Feel free to voice you input, just dont bash me cause im not nessarly comited to the next xbox like many of you are. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

well i hope i helped a bit! the knowledge available at the moment is limited, and i prety uch gave you what i know!

vman
03-05-2005, 12:59 AM
dude, is "vic" short for victor? cause thats my name. nice to meet you, bro.

Variation-XBA
03-05-2005, 02:30 AM
Right now Nintendo revolution is pretty much out of the running, its between the ps3 and xbox 2
I think that's pretty ignorant. How is it out of the running when they haven't even started yet? Cause you don't like it, or think they are too kiddish or something like that?

Regardless of new technology I will not spent more than $350 on either console. Maybe $400 max, but probally not.. Also $70 for a game is unaceptiable.
Well if you are talking USD, then yer fine, if not, have fun waiting a year or so :P Have fun paying $70 for a new release though when companies like EA make it so there is no competition.

Oblivion. As in the new elder scrolls game. right now its safe to assume it will come to X2, but its probally coming to PS3 also. I want to play this game in all its glory so if PS3 is really that much more powerfull than X2, and you can see the differance in this game i may lean towards ps3. Also time, its also probally safe to assume it will come to x2 before ps3. If the time differance is alot ill probally lean towards X2.. Although i dont think it will come in 2005 to any system (X2, PC) i say late 2006..

It's already confirmed that it's not 2005. And it'll look better on my PC anyhow :P

Controller. I love xbox controller hate ps2 controller. Will microsoft and sony desighn completly new controllers or keep the same ones?
It's all about preference. I like both, but xbox fatty's are the most easiest for me to use.

I belive the only reason ps2 was deprived of good FPS was beacuse it was underpowered and maybe controller desighn.
Ehhh wrong, try again

Next generation it probally wont be a problem for either console. I can see HL2, HL3, Doom 3 and 4, far cry 2, stalker, unreal 3 being on both consoles as well as plentty other AAA Fps being multiplatform.
And then you'll want a new PC when you see how they compare to the top end PC's.

-Power. This may or may not be a big factor depending on the differance between the two. If its a big differance like this gen than yeah it will be a factor. If not then no it wont be a factor.
Who cares what has more power? Why not buy a system for the games you want to play, not how many megaflops it can do in a nanosecond?

maneatingcow
03-05-2005, 02:58 AM
I think that's pretty ignorant. How is it out of the running when they haven't even started yet? Cause you don't like it, or think they are too kiddish or something like that?

I doubt he meant it that way. He probably just prefers a certain style of games, and the previous Nintendo consoles don't deliver. Nintendo has no major plans to alter it's software gameplan from what it currently does.

Vic 2003, the important thing to think about is exclusive games and the common genres found on that system. Personally speaking, I am always tempted to get a new console, but if the XBox 2 does not have any launch titles I am interested in, there is no way I will pick one up immediately. Of course, from my wild speculation, there is one major title I want to get when it is launched... *cough*Perfect Dark Zero*cough*....

SamSmith
03-05-2005, 04:07 AM
but i agree with variation that you shouldnt say nintendo is out of the running... sure, this round nintendo didnt do the best... but id say they have something up theyr sleeve... and i hope it is good, because they are a great company and have the longest experience in games... and are the one console company devoted to games...

they formed the market, and i hope that they do well in the next round...

but nothing has been announced from nintendo, so to say they are out of the running is wrong... wel wait to see what they put on the table before we make our presumptions

Duke
03-05-2005, 11:01 AM
The latest EGM has a rumor in it (and then brought up again in a later article) that a certain big name dev (or devs) has/have said that the power of the PS3 dwarfs that of the XboxNext.

Of course it is EGM, and was listed as a rumor, but who knows. I sure hope MS is not going to get themselves beaten so badly on what was one of the major selling points of the xbox.

mattgame
03-05-2005, 11:34 AM
The latest EGM has a rumor in it (and then brought up again in a later article) that a certain big name dev (or devs) has/have said that the power of the PS3 dwarfs that of the XboxNext.

Of course it is EGM, and was listed as a rumor, but who knows. I sure hope MS is not going to get themselves beaten so badly on what was one of the major selling points of the xbox.

You know what, that's why I don't understand why MS is coming out so soon. Why don' they wait and see what the PS3 is going to look like? Unless, MS is just trying to make a profit? I don't know.

Duke
03-05-2005, 11:41 AM
You know what, that's why I don't understand why MS is coming out so soon. Why don' they wait and see what the PS3 is going to look like? Unless, MS is just trying to make a profit? I don't know.

I hear ya. They're doing since they feel that the PS2 jump was the main reason they dwarfed them so bad in this generation. We'll see how it goes.

vman
03-05-2005, 02:28 PM
I think they are trying to do what the PS2 did to them and Gamecube. It worked for PS2, we shall see if it does the same damage.

Variation-XBA
03-05-2005, 04:49 PM
sure, this round nintendo didnt do the best... but id say they have something up theyr sleeve... and i hope it is good

You should check our their profit for 2004 compared to the other systems. They actually make quite abit on their systems/games compared to the other companies.

vic2003
03-06-2005, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the replys guys, I respect al of your views and inputs. Im ruling nintendo out beacuse i generally dont like the audience they cater to (kids). Oh and yes vic is short for Victor.

Variation-XBA
03-06-2005, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the replys guys, I respect al of your views and inputs. Im ruling nintendo out beacuse i generally dont like the audience they cater to (kids).

Shouldn't rule them out cause of your own views. They are hugely profitable :P

CRAYMAN
03-07-2005, 05:05 PM
Shouldn't rule them out cause of your own views. They are hugely profitable :P

WTH? Are you Nintendo's LOVE child??? That's exactly why he should rule them out.

He's ruling out buying the system. Not stating that they won't make it OR be better in the next round.
The stigma for Nintendo/Gamecube is that they cater to a younger audience. They needed more titles like RE4 closer to launch, not Mario and Super Monkey's Balls.

Variation-XBA
03-07-2005, 08:31 PM
WTH? Are you Nintendo's LOVE child??? That's exactly why he should rule them out.

He's ruling out buying the system. Not stating that they won't make it OR be better in the next round.
The stigma for Nintendo/Gamecube is that they cater to a younger audience. They needed more titles like RE4 closer to launch, not Mario and Super Monkey's Balls.

No I'm not Nintendo's love child, I'm just not a fanboy :P

So because a game doesn't have violence, guns, free roaming, swearing or insert_stupid_feature_here, means it's not worthy? Same with the system, just because they don't cator to your likes, doesn't mean it's not good, or should be ruled out.

LeoBreaker
03-07-2005, 08:51 PM
i dont think you have to worry about price, both ms and sony know that people arent going to pay heaps of money...

actually it is expected that the price of games for the next gen console will be upped ten dollars more. i am assuming it is due to the fact that the companies will probably be using the new 50 gb dvd's coming out.

skorp
03-07-2005, 09:15 PM
Well at least with MS the XNA tool will help ease the game develpoment process time and keep prices low or the same... ;)

Microsoft developer tools prep for next Xbox (http://news.com.com/Microsoft+developer+tools+prep+for+next+Xbox/2100-1043_3-5603082.html)

SamSmith
03-08-2005, 04:35 AM
actually it is expected that the price of games for the next gen console will be upped ten dollars more. i am assuming it is due to the fact that the companies will probably be using the new 50 gb dvd's coming out.

well, ps3 is confirmed to be using blu ray... which is more expensive to develop than its hd-dvd rival, but it also holds more...
xbox2 is going to be more likely using hd-dvd... although there was a rumour stating that they would stick with dvd.. but i think that its unlikely that they wont opt for a next gen format. so we might posibally see xbox2 games being cheaper than ps3 due to their disk format and development system (xna)

and i know the rumours that xbox2 will release before ps3, late 2005... but remember that they are rumours!! no date has been stated, or confirmed... id say xbox2 will be released around the time of ps3 sometime in 2006

CRAYMAN
03-08-2005, 11:41 AM
No I'm not Nintendo's love child, I'm just not a fanboy :P

So because a game doesn't have violence, guns, free roaming, swearing or insert_stupid_feature_here, means it's not worthy? Same with the system, just because they don't cator to your likes, doesn't mean it's not good, or should be ruled out.

I like the GC. I'm saying that HE is PERSONALLY ruling it out, because it doesn't apparently appeal to him.
I wish I had one, so I could play RE4, Windwaker and Metroid Prime.