PDA

View Full Version : $70 next gen games by EA?

Casper
03-06-2005, 09:11 AM
http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000420034521/

Rich sports fans will be delighted to hear that EA may charge as much as $70 per game. The “leak” sprung from the dam at Destination Playstation, an annual gathering of retailers. Granted, it was a Sega source that mentioned the price point, but they admitted that their titles would sell for $60.

If true, we all know why the price is high. No competition for EA means no need to price it right, right?

faceoff508
03-06-2005, 09:27 AM
I think all games on Xbox 2 and ps3 will be 60-70 dollars. There was an article in EGM. Cause developers have more things to put in the game so they are raising the price, but I am sure they would make a profit even if it was 30 dollars a game.

Variation-XBA
03-06-2005, 12:08 PM
Doesn't surprise me one bit, they can change whatever they want. Sad thing is people will pay it. Godo thing I hate sports :P

MasterChief21
03-06-2005, 12:57 PM
That is insane. 70$ bucks for a game.

natedog8
03-06-2005, 01:54 PM
****ing rediculous, that is robbery if they are charging 70 bucks for a game. really hope this isnt true

Snowblind
03-06-2005, 02:28 PM
Screw that.

Man, I remember the old days when N64 games were $60 brand new and now Xbox games are around $54.00, that makes a ****load of sense. :rolleyes:

Ninjermy
03-06-2005, 05:45 PM
F*** EA!!!! :mad: That equates to like 84 Canadian PLUS GST, 90 BUCKS!!!! That like how much my xbox is worth alone!!! EA can die.

dances with broom sticks
03-06-2005, 06:32 PM
With the Canadian exchange it looks like I'll be taking advantage of blockbusters no late fee policy instead of buying games

No Fear 23
03-06-2005, 06:32 PM
damn...**** that. looks like the end of my gaming career if game prices are that high. back to old school games like nintendo and sega.

Echoes
03-06-2005, 07:00 PM
They'd fail

1) No one buys from EA
2) even if they do , its alot more than usual for a piece of junk.
3) ea can fk themselves

WillyV2
03-06-2005, 08:24 PM
That's dumb as hell, here in Canada a lot of games already go for $59.99-$69.99 and the next gen console games will be going for like 80 some dollars without taxes..

vman
03-06-2005, 08:38 PM
AHHH BULL****! that is so dumb, of course, they will still sell their games though. I hate EA if they do this. But, im not too surprised, with all the rumors going around, i figured that all games would be priced higher. Like faceoff said.

rpgreligion
03-06-2005, 09:16 PM
Screw that.

Man, I remember the old days when N64 games were $60 brand new and now Xbox games are around $54.00, that makes a ****load of sense. :rolleyes:

Well, N64 games were cartridges, therefore more expensive to produce. But 70 $ for a disc based game is ridiculous..no way will I pay that much. (Don't quote me on that)

Whisper
03-06-2005, 09:47 PM
Canadian price will probably be 79.99 if the current exchange rate holds steady.. plus tax it would be 91 dollars for a game in all provinces except Alberta (dam you Jermy).

Yep.. Blockbuster's no late fees are looking better and better by the minute.

Rent: 6.99, keep for 29 days, pay the 1.99 restocking free. So 10 bucks to rent a game for a month.. better than buying a game at even 70 bucks Canadian.. most games are played out after a couple months anyway.

bbchs_trash
03-06-2005, 10:48 PM
Is that how the Blockbuster no-late fee promo works? You only have to pay a restocking fee?

Slowride
03-06-2005, 11:40 PM
So just wait awhile to buy the games when they drop in price. You don't have to have it the day it comes out.

vman
03-07-2005, 01:35 AM
So just wait awhile to buy the games when they drop in price. You don't have to have it the day it comes out.
that's prbly what i'll do, unless, of course, it is a huge game like halo3 or something.

Slowride
03-07-2005, 01:56 AM
or the prequel to kabuki warriors.

WillyV2
03-07-2005, 05:12 AM
Canadian price will probably be 79.99 if the current exchange rate holds steady.. plus tax it would be 91 dollars for a game in all provinces except Alberta (dam you Jermy).

That's some bull right there :bang:

maneatingcow
03-07-2005, 06:19 AM
A possible price hike has been known for quite some time. EA is risking quite a bit to charge $70 for next-gen titles, but you have to remember that they are releasing their sports titles on ALL CONSOLES. So you will be seeing Madden 06' on both XBox and XBox 2. Either way they will be making money, because people need their football fix.

As the article states, Sega will be pricing their titles at around $60, which is reasonable. All I know is I will be going back to renting titles come the XBox 2.

SamSmith
03-07-2005, 06:24 AM
in europe we pay that much already sometimes

Whisper
03-07-2005, 07:13 AM
Is that how the Blockbuster no-late fee promo works? You only have to pay a restocking fee?

after 7 days the price of the movie/game you rented is charged to your credit card or account.. you can bring it back at any time during days 8-30 and pay a 1.99 fee and the charge will be whiped out on your credit card/account (people should take advantage of this, helps your credit rating) .. if you keep it longer than 30 days, you're screwed, it's yours..

SamSmith
03-07-2005, 07:24 AM
the games will have to be more expensive because both sony and ms will be loosing loads on console sales... the graphics cards in the consoles will probably cost more to make than the console will be to buy. and sony have stated they will be using blu ray format, which is more expensive to produce than dvd and hd-dvd... so it is innevitable that we'l be paying more for our games next round.

SilentStryk07
03-07-2005, 07:48 AM
With the Canadian exchange it looks like I'll be taking advantage of blockbusters no late fee policy instead of buying games

too bad that after 8 days they just make you buy it for their gov't regulated price of $125 US...

TOTTEN
03-07-2005, 09:10 AM
and sony have stated they will be using blu ray format, which is more expensive to produce than dvd and hd-dvd...
Hopefully only sony go this way. 70 dollar games thats way too much 60 is alot also but 40 I think would be the best price.

Casper
03-07-2005, 10:15 AM
the games will have to be more expensive because both sony and ms will be loosing loads on console sales... the graphics cards in the consoles will probably cost more to make than the console will be to buy. and sony have stated they will be using blu ray format, which is more expensive to produce than dvd and hd-dvd... so it is innevitable that we'l be paying more for our games next round.
Read what you just wrote and tell me that makes sense. MS and Sony will be losing $ on console sales, so when Ubi + EA releases a game for more money, it's going to help MS + Sony - how so? They'll pay a minimal fee to them for having a game on their system, I'd imagine - not too sure - but it's not like they're profiting directly from other companies making games.

maneatingcow
03-07-2005, 06:38 PM
Read what you just wrote and tell me that makes sense. MS and Sony will be losing $ on console sales, so when Ubi + EA releases a game for more money, it's going to help MS + Sony - how so? They'll pay a minimal fee to them for having a game on their system, I'd imagine - not too sure - but it's not like they're profiting directly from other companies making games.

You are correct sir. Publishers pay a percentage to the console developers, but not a considerable amount. Console developers profit more from developing and more so, publishing their own games.

Whisper
03-07-2005, 06:47 PM
too bad that after 8 days they just make you buy it for their gov't regulated price of $125 US...

nope.. they use the MSRP in canadian blockbusters.. which range from 29.99-69.99 in canada

SamSmith
03-08-2005, 04:23 AM

exactly, so the liscencing fees of those games to appear on the next gen consoles will have to be more expensive... so the the publishers will have to up the prices more also.

but if xna works out, we could see the predicted prices reduced... hopefully :D

CRAYMAN
03-09-2005, 06:39 PM
XNA???? What's that?

Variation-XBA
03-09-2005, 11:07 PM
XNA???? What's that?
Microsofts Development tool to speed along the process and budgets of game production time....in a nutshell

Nurb
03-13-2005, 04:30 AM
Which shows that EA is evil.. they get more and more market share and the prices go up. But games that cost 60-70 bucks will only hurt the industry, as a Dinner for 2 at a decent resturant would cost less than one disk. I foresee several things happening with thise:

-industry loses money because most of the people buying these games are parents, and that means they're willing to buy less games.

-Piracy increases as a backlash

-more people will switch over to the PC as a gaming platform

Although I advocate pirating any and all EA games as civil disobediance in response to their ruthless business practices and attempt at a monopoly. Death to EA!

Holt88
03-13-2005, 09:33 AM
"Piracy increases as a backlash" That's exactly what I was thinking. 70 is way too much.

Echoes
03-13-2005, 10:15 AM
Well, i already know ill be playing Guild Wars starting this April, its a free online game (u gotta buy the cd, no p2p) with awsoem graphics, and the first mmrpg game ive ever seen that doesnt take dying so seriously (you just restart at the nearist outpost with no exp lost or items lost or whatever).

Variation-XBA
03-13-2005, 12:15 PM
and the first mmrpg game ive ever seen that doesnt take dying so seriously (you just restart at the nearist outpost with no exp lost or items lost or whatever).

WoW doesn't penalize you for dying, other than going and getting your body.

Nurb
03-13-2005, 02:40 PM
"Piracy increases as a backlash" That's exactly what I was thinking. 70 is way too much.

its a touchy situation anyway, publishers say they have to increase prices because of money lost to piracy, but the more the price increases, the more software is pirated, so they need to find a way to deal with both issues.

ShannonX
03-13-2005, 08:48 PM
i might be able to see $70 for games that are super uper long lasting, that might take you 50 - 100 hours to actually beat the basic game. But paying $70 for something that you can beat in 10 hours (large variety of current games), then no, I'll be passing thank you very much.

vman
03-13-2005, 09:48 PM
i might be able to see $70 for games that are super uper long lasting, that might take you 50 - 100 hours to actually beat the basic game. But paying $70 for something that you can beat in 10 hours (large variety of current games), then no, I'll be passing thank you very much.
so u think that the price is reasonable for huge rpgs? i could see that, man. i also wouldnt mind that in a sequal for marrowind or fable, and whatever else MS has up their sleeves.

ShannonX
03-13-2005, 11:28 PM
perhaps, if the game was involved enough and had tons of replay value. Not saying I'd personally pay that much for a game, but it would be financial suicide to price every single game at 70 bucks.

Reclaimer
03-14-2005, 03:43 AM
This is a load of crap that's really making me consider to quit gaming. Seventy dollars for one game. What it is with the cost of entertainment?
It's about 10 bucks a person to see if a movie if you buy something to drink. The movie might suck and you still have to watch mother****ing TV commercials before the movie starts.
It costs 15 dollars or better to buy a CD that has 2 good songs on it. It costs less than a quarter to manufacture one CD.
Now it will cost on average 70 dollars for one game. One game that will most likely suck or has little content or replay value.

We're getting taken for a ride, you know that right? We're not going to stop seeing movies, we're not going to stop buying CD's, and we certainly won't stop buying videogames. Therefore, they can charge whatever they want because we'll happily pay for it.
It pisses me off.

maneatingcow
03-14-2005, 05:57 PM
This is a load of crap that's really making me consider to quit gaming. Seventy dollars for one game. What it is with the cost of entertainment?
It's about 10 bucks a person to see if a movie if you buy something to drink. The movie might suck and you still have to watch mother****ing TV commercials before the movie starts.

EA is the only one, thus far, that is reported to be charging $70 per game (And thats likely just for their sport's titles, because they know people will scoop them up at any price). Sega stated that their prices will likely rise to around $60. Other companies have stated that they won't be increasing prices a dime. It all depends on the companies. EA knows they have a stranglehold on Football, so charging $70 is a good business move on their part (For the moment). Those that need their football fix will have to pay the price.

Nurb
03-15-2005, 05:16 PM
It costs 15 dollars or better to buy a CD that has 2 good songs on it. It costs less than a quarter to manufacture one CD.
Now it will cost on average 70 dollars for one game. One game that will most likely suck or has little content or replay value.

We're getting taken for a ride, you know that right? We're not going to stop seeing movies, we're not going to stop buying CD's, and we certainly won't stop buying videogames. Therefore, they can charge whatever they want because we'll happily pay for it.
It pisses me off.
You just voiced the frustration and gave the reason for all piracy. the industry is demonizing people who are fed up with being overcharged for crap and giving the greedy execs a middle finger while using it to download stuff for free. Its civil disobediance in my opinion :D

Notice EA gave these hints once they sealed the deal for the NFL game monopoly. Why bother competing with a game that has ESPN licesense and sells for $20 by improving your own when you can just buy up everything and charge 70 bucks for the same old BS? It's why so many are attempting to pirate the conglomerate into nothingness, especially if they follow through on sending production to China.

SamSmith
03-16-2005, 08:06 AM
EA is the only one, thus far, that is reported to be charging $70 per game (And thats likely just for their sport's titles, because they know people will scoop them up at any price). Sega stated that their prices will likely rise to around $60. Other companies have stated that they won't be increasing prices a dime. It all depends on the companies. EA knows they have a stranglehold on Football, so charging $70 is a good business move on their part (For the moment). Those that need their football fix will have to pay the price.

activision also said that they would be upping the prices :|

LynxFX
03-16-2005, 01:08 PM
Easy solution to this, don't buy it. Drop their sales. I'll never pay $70 for a game.

It is hard enough justifying $50 for most games, and then there are some real gems released at a price point of $20 yet largely ignored. It's a shame.

Nurb
03-16-2005, 09:46 PM
Easy solution to this, don't buy it. Drop their sales. I'll never pay $70 for a game.

It is hard enough justifying $50 for most games, and then there are some real gems released at a price point of $20 yet largely ignored. It's a shame.
thats because to most people, when they see a bunch of $50 games, then see one for $20, they think its a bargin bin game

LynxFX
03-16-2005, 11:59 PM
thats because to most people, when they see a bunch of $50 games, then see one for $20, they think its a bargin bin game
And that's the shame.

maneatingcow
03-18-2005, 01:01 PM

You must remember that the largest percentage of gamers are CASUAL gamers, so it's not entirely the case that $20 games do not sell. I think that EA will be screwing themselves over with this price point, although, anyone who has the $300+ to drop down on an X2 at launch can probably afford a $70 game.