PDA

View Full Version : Xbox, PS2 Owners More Different Than Most Realize

skorp
03-17-2005, 08:12 PM
Interesting read...

Thinking that your average Playstation 2 owner and your average Xbox owner are one-in-the-same? Think again. Phoenix Marketing International has released exclusive new information to FileFront that outlines surprising demographic differences between owners of the two consoles.

In an email to FileFront, PMI Senior Research Manager David Pluchino explained that Xbox owners are more tech savvy than PS2 owners, are more likely to read gaming publications, are more likely to visit gaming web sites, and are more likely to shop at specialty electronic and gaming stores. Alternately, PS2 owners are more female, are slightly younger, and have a higher proportion of minority gamers (i.e., African American and Hispanic).

The simple fact that PS2’s global installed user base of 80 million consoles dwarfs Xbox’s 20 million explains the former’s more expansive, representative audience. Youth-oriented franchises like the EyeToy, dance mat games, and mascot platformers all appear more readily on PS2 than on Xbox. As Mike Dorbrook of Harmonix told FileFront in early January, “I think it’s kind of natural as [PS2] ages and the price goes down that [Sony goes] for a wider and wider distribution.”

Interestingly, console ownership also breaks down geographically. While FileFront was unable to acquire sales statistics as per U.S. region for the two consoles, Pluchino revealed that West Coasters are more likely to own an Xbox than a PS2, while the opposite holds true for East Coasters.

Partially explaining this geographic discrepancy could be Microsoft – and even Nintendo’s – longtime, Washington State-based headquarters.

Ultimately, however, Pluchino sees such demographic differences between Xbox and PS2 owners, as being but one – albeit vital – piece to solving the next-generation puzzle. “I feel it’s all going to come down to marketing (i.e., who knows their market better?),” Pluchino declared.

Microsoft’s recent moves regarding Xbox 2, everything from hyping Xbox Live’s new features, to rumors of the console’s hard drive capabilities, seem to hint at Microsoft embracing the Xbox brand’s popularity in enthusiast and techie circles. And when it comes to videogames, these folks will likely remain the driving demographic for some time.

“In the grand scheme of things, Xbox 2 and PS3 are definitely going to be going after the same market,” Pluchino offered. “Xbox wants to retain their current customers and go after PS2 players, likewise PS2 wants to retain their players and go after Xbox customers.”

Ah, if only it were that simple.

Do you agree?... As for me... not completely.

:D

Variation-XBA
03-17-2005, 09:54 PM
Not entirely, cause I can tell you the kind of gamers that come into my store that are ps2 or xbox owners.

Mitchell
03-17-2005, 10:36 PM
PS2 owners watch Queer eye for the straight guy. That's how I tell the difference.

*First post in several months*

-due to a little site called "runescape"......

l Maximus l
03-17-2005, 11:54 PM
That was actually kind of interesting. It makes sense...the XBox is better than PS2, and the West Coast is better than the East Coast. Makes sense :D

~wEsT SIdE!!!~

tsrdawg
03-18-2005, 12:06 AM
That was actually kind of interesting. It makes sense...the XBox is better than PS2, and the West Coast is better than the East Coast. Makes sense :D

~wEsT SIdE!!!~

I m always hesitant to follow the Halo encyclopedia's posts...
I ll say that Xbox is popular with older gamers because weve waited a longg time for awesome graphics...go back to the days of blocky Atari. odyssey and Intellivision games and youll see what I mean...
We were all facing that dilemma of whether to buy a PS2 for $300 or wait another year for Xbox...The Xbox system specs kicked major butt and the rest is history...I cant believe people actually spent $300 on PS2's with PS1 graphics..I havent heard too much about Gran Turismo 4...probably because the graphics are no better than GT2...
Anyway, you know the WESTSIDE has to represent...
YEAH YEAH...
P.S. That is an interesting Halo 1 vs Halo 2 post guys...dont want to get off topic but I have to say that the vehicle physics are better in Halo 1...I still pop in Halo so I can do some doughnuts with the Warthog on Sidewinder...

Variation-XBA
03-18-2005, 01:39 AM
*gives Max the westside hand gensture*

SamSmith
03-18-2005, 05:26 AM
i agree with some of that statement, but in my opinion xbox owners tend to be more into their games... many ps2 owners, just get one.... but the majority of xbox owners get their xbox, and plenty of games for it... i have read stats that xbox owners have the most software per console compared to ps2 and gc... and i do agree that xbox gamers tend to be more mature, and interested in games.

Unreal
03-19-2005, 12:51 AM
Here is something for you. What do they have to say about a gamer that has all of the systems? ;)

SamSmith
03-19-2005, 02:09 AM
Here is something for you. What do they have to say about a gamer that has all of the systems? ;)

well that is the same with me, but it is my xbox that i use the most... by far

Unreal
03-19-2005, 07:00 PM
well that is the same with me, but it is my xbox that i use the most... by far
If you go by what system you use the most, then yes I use and buy more games for my Xbox then.

kylman49
03-19-2005, 08:22 PM

~wEsT SIdE!!!~
whatever... I feel a East vs West xbox live war coming...

Conchord
03-19-2005, 10:36 PM
...what about gamecube owners?

:(

vman
03-20-2005, 01:00 AM
...what about gamecube owners?

:(
gamecube owners dont even have their balls dropped yet.

Conchord
03-20-2005, 03:41 AM

This is the only response you get.

[/internal rage]

AlBoogy
03-21-2005, 01:13 PM

Ohhhhh, Ive never heard that one before! :rolleyes:

NephilimTX
03-21-2005, 01:25 PM
Most of the PS2 players I know are either into the sports games, or into the RPGs. Most of the Xbox players I know like the shooters.

I like to make ignorant statements

Variation-XBA
03-21-2005, 08:58 PM
Most of the PS2 players I know are either into the sports games, or into the RPGs.

PS2 players are like illegal imigrants, there are way too many of them, and no one has a sure fire way to fix it. :rofl:

That's cause PS2 excells at RPG games.

And not funny at all