PDA

View Full Version : ***NEWS*** Wireless NIC for XBOX

Capt Marvel
02-13-2002, 12:37 PM
Press release from Linksys. from the 202 CES.

I cant wait to get one.

Instant Wireless Ethernet Workgroup Bridge (WET11) – The Instant Wireless Ethernet Workgroup Bridge enables any network device with an Ethernet port to go wireless, including PCs, printers, Internet appliances, gaming consoles such as the Xbox™, and even entertainment hardware such as Replay TV™ devices. It acts as a wireless converter to bridge Ethernet and wireless. Use this versatile Wireless Ethernet Bridge to transform any of your Ethernet hardware into a wireless device, so you can extend and customize your wireless network to suit your needs. Estimated Street Price $149.

JJaX
02-13-2002, 12:43 PM
I thought they already had wireless hubs? Wouldnt the wiresless hub do the same thing?

Capt Marvel
02-13-2002, 12:54 PM
No

You need a wireless access point (hub) to connect to your interent providers device, like a cable modem or dls modem via Cat5/eithernet cable

For a device such as a computer or Xbox, it must have a wireless Network Interface card that communicates the access point and uploads or download from the internet.

This is such a cool device because it convert the tradional wired NIC to a wireless... SO cool

JJaX
02-13-2002, 01:02 PM
Ohhhhh i see!!

i was thinking just as a means to create a LAN. But this thing does it all Huh! CooL :cool:

Capt Marvel
02-13-2002, 01:18 PM
Yeah it really is going to ROCK. Its not Access point but it will convert the xbox eithent port to wireless so you can connect to the access point and play online with wires

l Maximus l
02-13-2002, 04:49 PM
I'm not quite sure I get it...only because I'm a networking novice. But, explain to me the benefits here, if you would. I believe that wireless is the way for the future...I just want to know more.

Is it basically a device that allows you to hook up your XBox to your TV so you don't need wires?

Or, a wireless keyboard for a PC? Or device that allows you to print without a printer cable?

All I know is that I can't wait until they rid of the spider web of wires that are behind all of our computers...:D

Frostberg
02-13-2002, 06:05 PM
Silly maximus, where did you get you could hook up your tv to the xbox without wires? And keyboard, or even printer...unless you had an ethernety printer, of course...
All it will do is allow you to turn a device with an ethernet jack into a wireless ethernet jack. Expensive also, at $150...especially when I am doing it for $5.99

And all it will do is eliminate 1 wire...the ethernet cord...and I doubt anyone minds it, and if they do it cant be a $150 pain...

Capt Marvel
02-14-2002, 08:20 AM
I dont disagree with Frostburg on the cost issue. Yes that is a lot of $$$. However not everyone has their Internet connection co-located a resonable distance from their Xbox. Also their are safety hazards such as long cords with children or Stairs. Pets like my cat who likes to eat my eithernet cable when it strung across 75feet of my basement. I could just kill the cat. That would be cheap.

Plus I hate seeing wiring. Hence my 5 computer wireless network. Soon to include a Xbox.

Also Im sure the cost will come down once Dlink and SMC come out with their version of this...

Hey Maximus if your take 2 cans and tie string to it . People can talk to one another. Thats Eithernet !!!! Except with computers doing the talking. Now its gone wireless.. Simple Enuf?

XBOXgamer13
02-14-2002, 09:22 AM
C-O-O-L:cool: