PDA

View Full Version : The end of production for the Xbox and hardware?

Reclaimer
03-31-2005, 02:08 PM
SPOnG has received emails that indicate a complete withdrawal of Xbox hardware in the coming months, with claims surfacing today of a total end to generation one Xbox production.

According to senior sources within publishing, retailers are being instructed not to list Xbox hardware in their next catalogue publications. “They are telling us that they have reached their targets and want to clear the way for the next machine,” we were told, with our source speaking under terms of anonymity. “It’s reached the point where the amount of money they lose per unit, combined with the fact that they might well eat into their own [Xbox 360] market share, means that continuing the run is just not feasible.”

Of course the big question remains of exactly how many Xbox hardware units are still available. “There are only two million units left and no more will be produced,” continued our source. “There are 400,000 allocated for the whole of the European territory. After that there will be no more. It was confirmed to me that Microsoft has no plans to manufacture the original Xbox once the new console hits the market.”

However, Microsoft has indicated to key retailers that it plans to having around a million Xbox 360 hardware units available in time for Christmas of 2005, as reported by MCV last week and recently confirmed to SPOnG.

Microsoft’s official line on the matter is that the Xbox supply situation will improve, offering a six week wait-and-see window to retailers. Some cynics may argue that six weeks brings the welcome distraction of a 360-powered E3 show in Los Angeles. The Windows giant also claimed that manufacture of the original Xbox unit continues, although this end-of-cycle production run is likely to comprise the two million figure offered by our source today.

We will bring you updates on this story if anything changes.

Link (http://www.xboxaddict.com/news/view.php?News_ID=5916)

Well, it's not a bad thing. It's actually good if you think about it. They will end the production of our Xbox so they can begin the introduction of the 360. It was going to happen anyway.

TOTTEN
03-31-2005, 02:11 PM
Yes it is a good thing our beloved box will be reborn yay. Hopefully games like wardevil will have strengths other than graphics.

Reclaimer
03-31-2005, 02:15 PM
Well then again.. here's this:

Xbox 'pulled' rumours quashed?

[31/03/05 17:30]
Microsoft exec dismisses recent web rumours in a post on his personal website

Xbox Live director of programming Larry Hryb flatly denies the recent run of rumours claiming Microsoft is pulling Xbox from stores and making way for its new Xbox 2 console.

The internet has been awash with stories in recent days, quoting a number of 'anonymous sources', claiming that Microsoft is winding down Xbox production to make way for its new Xbox 2 console, expected in November. And that worldwide Xbox stockpiles are now down to 2 million with no more supplies on the way.

However, Larry Hryb contests this via a post on his website, where he writes:

"There are a few stories floating around this vast thing we call the Internet today that say Xbox has been pulled from retailers. Furthermore, people are saying that we have 'reached our targets and want to get ready for the next console'. Let me be perfectly clear: We are not pulling the Xbox from stores.

"Xbox consoles being in short supply due to popularity and stopping production are two very different issues. Don't believe the misinformation that is filling your browser/inbox/rss feed. Now, back to your regularly scheduled rumor-mongering," he added.

While this isn't an official press release, it seems unlikely someone in Larry Hryb's position would deny claims in such a strong manner, using a medium such as his own website, unless he was completely sure that what he is saying is correct.

Still, the stock levels do speak for themselves and the latest ChartTrack information tends to disprove Hryb's comment about Xbox being in short supply because of its unrelenting popularity.

According to ChartTrack, 4,838 Xboxes were shifted last week, compared to 27,917 PS2s, which does suggest the shortages are actually a result of a lack of supply, rather than high demand.

http://gamesradar.msn.co.uk/news/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=35129&subsectionid=1586

I hate posting the news sometimes. Oh well.

Spaztic
03-31-2005, 03:41 PM
Way to disprove your own story....

Reclaimer
03-31-2005, 08:55 PM
Way to disprove your own story....

Hey, I bring the news and I can correct the news as well.
I learned that of all the resources I can use to provide the news for the site, these Spong people.. they suck bad.

U.2.K
03-31-2005, 11:17 PM
This is bad news, i just got my xbox mid 2004 and already its time for another system with a price tag of 350( rumors). Its only been what 4 years?

This sucks for real, i aint ready for xbox 2 and i wont be ready till 2010 or something. I think the graphics is fine for right now tho, whats the hurry anyway?

Heavens Gate
04-01-2005, 12:46 AM
I have a 3 year warranty on my new one. What happens now? Will there be plenty on the shelves through 05-06? I hope so. Also, this wasn't good when Dreamcast did this. I don't care but there better be Xboxes on the shelves through 06 or I'm not buying another Microsoft console. I'll get a SONY. What about our game library and If our Xbox takes a dump?

Variation-XBA
04-01-2005, 02:01 AM
Even if it was true, there's plenty that is circulating around that unless eveyrone when on an xbox buying binge, we wouldn't feel it for quite awhile anyways.

GamerChick82
04-01-2005, 12:14 PM
I think it would be pretty stupid for them to stop marketing Xbox.

Nurb
04-01-2005, 01:48 PM
bah, they're trying to force the industry into a change, rumors or not, but they don't have enough market share to do it, and now they're going to get people (like me) to wait until the other systems are released so they can compare before they buy xbox2