PDA

View Full Version : Huxley a massive MMOFPS coming X2, Massive Online Battles 5000+ In A Single Game....!

Sammael
04-01-2005, 05:34 AM
these are in game screens
http://media.teamxbox.com/dailyposts/huxley/Huxely05_550.jpg
http://media.teamxbox.com/dailyposts/huxley/Huxely03_550.jpg
http://media.teamxbox.com/dailyposts/huxley/Huxely04_550.jpg
http://media.teamxbox.com/dailyposts/huxley/Huxely01_550.jpg
http://media.teamxbox.com/dailyposts/huxley/Huxely02_550.jpg

Well, well, well. Finally, the time has come. We are at the cusp of the next-generation in videogaming and most experts agree the jump from current hardware to next will be astounding.

Were you upset when True Fantasy Live Online got canned? Are you still waiting for Star Wars Galaxies? You think Delta Force Black Hawk Down's 50 player battles look good? Wait until you play with your clan in 5,000 player battles... XNA and the next generation of Xbox Live will make it possible.

If the concept of a massive multiplayer online FPS sounds too good to be true…it isn’t. In 2006 it will all become a reality thanks to the folks at Webzen; the Korean development studio behind the Unreal Engine 3-powered gem entitled Huxley a game that will use the most advanced tools to create the ultimate Xbox Live experience.

In this exclusive interview Producer, Kijong Kang, gives us the inside scoop on the beginnings of the game, Webzen’s use of the UE3 and thoughts on other next-gen technologies, and what we can expect from Huxley on the next Xbox Live.

You can read the entire interview at TXB... Awesome sounding stuff!

Microsoft has mentioned many times that an XNA-compatible next generation game could allow PC and Xbox gamers to play each other without the risk of cheating thanks to the use of a common online service: Xbox Live.
Do you plan to release Huxley on PC too (UE3 is XNA compatible)? If so, would you allow Xbox 2 and PC gamers to play in a common environment?

Kijong Kang: We are developing a PC version of Huxley. We are also considering the possibility of allowing Xbox 2 and PC gamers to play together. We’re not sure if cross-platform play will work without any problem yet. Nevertheless, we trust Microsoft’s XNA.

TOTTEN
04-01-2005, 07:38 AM
Very nice I better have a job so I can pay for all the games and subcription fees.

Casper
04-01-2005, 07:55 AM
Yea, this will probably be the first game to have a monthly fee for XBL- mark my words on that. But 5000+ players with an FPS? I don't like **** teases, so hopefully this won't be one.

skorp
04-01-2005, 08:13 AM
Nice! I remember reading about this a couple of months ago at Beyondunreal's website.

Released Summer 2006, huh?!! This game sounds and looks awesome!

Hopefully, this game will come out smoothly.... :cheers:

Reclaimer
04-01-2005, 09:54 AM
I'll be all over this one. Please let this happen!

Huckleberry
04-01-2005, 09:59 AM
Mmmmmm....mmofpslicious

Variation-XBA
04-01-2005, 12:04 PM
Didn't they learn how bad planetside did / is doing and thats an MMOFPS as well.

Sammael
04-01-2005, 12:22 PM
So that means every MMOFPS will fail?

StudioAlex
04-03-2005, 04:40 PM
While the art direction looks pretty mediocre, the concept is cool. I don't have the greatest faith in online competition (remembering how unfun Halo 2 could be at times) but I will always have some measure of hope for it. I really think that cooperative play works better online, but I guess some people like hearing a prepubescent voice tell you what he thinks of you in language that'd make caligula blush.

Kyle Static
04-04-2005, 12:42 AM
This was posted on April Fools...so I assume it's jsut a huge joke....5,000 players...come on.

thAshAdyOne
04-04-2005, 01:02 AM
if this happens on schedule....I'll go on a 6 month hiatus from XBA....

Sammael
04-04-2005, 08:42 AM
This was posted on April Fools...so I assume it's jsut a huge joke....5,000 players...come on.

Actually it was posted at TXB on March 31st, not April Fools, not an April Fools joke.

GuiltySpark
04-04-2005, 10:49 AM
I have a feeling that this game won't have an additional fee, and if it does it will be a small one. I wonder how immersive they can make an FPS...

bbchs_trash
04-05-2005, 01:33 AM
meh... sounds like overhype to me. a jump in generations doesnt seem like going from 50 to 5,000 player battles will happen... not only that... but do they really have maps to accomodate that many people? imagine your favorite unreal map... with 5,000 people... you couldn't even walk. sounds fun, until you actually see it running.

Variation-XBA
04-05-2005, 02:15 AM
meh... sounds like overhype to me. a jump in generations doesnt seem like going from 50 to 5,000 player battles will happen... not only that... but do they really have maps to accomodate that many people? imagine your favorite unreal map... with 5,000 people... you couldn't even walk. sounds fun, until you actually see it running.

Why isn't it possible? MMO's host thousands and thousands for players at one time on "one map" so to speak.

bbchs_trash
04-05-2005, 10:05 PM
Why isn't it possible? MMO's host thousands and thousands for players at one time on "one map" so to speak.

How do you figure? Maybe I read this post wrong... but I could've sworn they were speaking of 5,000 people... on one map... playing one deathmatch. I could be wrong... but I think thats everyone else is referencing.

Show me a game that can tough even 500 people... and not a Phantasy Star or such... I'm saying FPS... which is what this game is to be. There is no FPS to date that can come close to holding 5,000 individual players at one time... none.

Variation-XBA
04-06-2005, 01:37 AM
Show me a game that can tough even 500 people... and not a Phantasy Star or such... I'm saying FPS... which is what this game is to be. There is no FPS to date that can come close to holding 5,000 individual players at one time... none.

http://planetside.station.sony.com/
It's a FPSMMO, been out quite awhile.

And if you think they mean 5000 people in one small map with uber kills going on everywhere, don't kid yourself. It's on a MUCH larger scale - ala Planetside-like.

Slowride
04-14-2005, 03:03 PM
I might have to start slangin rock.....in my white T.

AlphaRaptor
04-16-2005, 11:59 PM
If thats a planetside like game, they've gone crazy with detail. Usually for a FPSMMO the graphics are toned down looking. But I guess in a way, they actually could be...

Soldier
09-17-2005, 08:59 PM
Obviously you guys have never played an MMO. And the world wont just be a constant battle, there are places called battlefields where you go to fight. And who's to say all 5000 people will be on at the same time and go to the same place? That would be rare at the least.

ShadedNine
09-17-2005, 09:31 PM
I don't care how you blend the people in, nor would I notice the difference between 500 and 20000 people. To me, what's missing in the field of multiplayer fps is tactical non-special-forces combat. In other words, I want to play as a soldier in a big-ass battlefield full of troops. This means I don't want to have some "middle-world" with 5000 people from which I leave to enter a "battle-zone" containing 30. I want to jump into a huge map, pick my point of entry, and wage war in whatever setting/time period the game offers.

Battlefield (2) has come as close as any I've played, but 64 players can still feel pretty empty, especially on the largest maps. Take those maps and triple the number of soliders...that's what I want to see. Unfortunately, the bandwidth requirements and level of lag tolerance is too stringent in an FPS, which is why only MMORPGs have really taken off as of yet.

kappaknight
09-24-2005, 02:41 PM
I like the way that Planetside has setup their battlezones and user resurrections. Granted, you're not 100% in battle like Halo 2, but you'd be crazy to think that a game would work with 5000 people in constant battle. Just think about the spawn kills with 25 users respawning at any given time. You won't even reload fast enough to kill them all.

I think Halo 2 at their peak had 100,000 users on at the same time (within a 24 hour period) so I wonder if everyone that plays this game will be thrown into one game or several different online versions of this game.