PDA

View Full Version : Collector's/Limited Editions: Worth it or not?

MixMasta
04-05-2005, 08:05 PM
Ok, it seems like the new theme for big Xbox games is the collector's and limited edition version of games. So far, I believe there are five.

Jade Empire Limited Edition - The Limited Edition features: Content, Extra character, Additional Combat style, Foil Outer Wrap, Making of Video and Playable Demos of other MS Products!

$49.99

Halo 2 Limited Edition - This limited edition comes in a special tin box and includes commentaries, a "making of" feature, art galleries and more!

$54.99

Limited Edition Mech Assault 2: Lone Wolf - Never Before Seen Footage: Exclusive G4TechTV production and interviews with the creators of MechAssault 2: Lone Wolf

Two Exclusive Multiplayer Maps: Playable on Xbox Live and System Link:

$54.99

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory Limited Collector's Edition - The Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Chaos Theory Limited Collectors Edition includes:
A unique metallic embossed collector box.
2-DVD set contains (contents subject to change in final shipping)
The entire Splinter Cell Chaos Theory game and a second DVD with bonus content:
3 bonus soundtrack remix music from electronica genius Amon Tobin
The making of Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
Development Diaries on A.I, Level design, animation, graphic technology and more
Art Gallery
Penny Arcade spy training manual
Video features
Mega64
Spy guide
Trailers

$54.99

DOOM 3: The Collector's Edition - Exclusive Collector’s Edition Tin includes:
Full versions of the original ULTIMATE DOOM and DOOM II. With single player or deathmatch and co-op in 2-4 player split-screen modes.
G4: VIDEO GAME TV “Icons” feature: “Behind the scenes of DOOM 3”
Interviews with the id Software team
Concept art: storyboard and sketch gallery

$59.99

Now what is up with these? Are they just sales gimmicks to get $5-10 extra out of everyones pockets? The Halo / Splinter Cell special editions seem like that. Oooo, a cool case and a DVD that usually would come with a preorder anyway if they hadn't packaged it with the LE. The Doom 3: Collector's edition at least has some extra playable stuff, same with the Mech Assault and Jade Empire. The price on Doom 3 CE is a little excessive IMO, I like what Jade Empire did, just selling the Limited Edition via preorder. I own all the above games except Mech Assault 2 (I have the LE of JE paid in full, ready to pick up next week) and I fell for the LE gimmick on Halo 2, but not SC: CT. Halo 2 was so monumental I felt I should go for it, but with SC: CT, there really seemed no point, since Halo 2's LE let me down. I did however get the Doom 3 CE today, and I'm not sure it was worth it. I went to Best Buy with a $25 GC, and still paid $38 for a game that was originally released 8 months ago on the computer. I guess this sales gimmicks work on me, lol. Anyways, what do you guys think about this limited and collector edition games?

Snowblind
04-05-2005, 11:51 PM
Doom 3 - 100% worth it. The "Spotlight and concept art sections are a nice touch. Plus, it has DOOM and DOOM II, 'nuff said.

Halo 2 - For an extra $3? Totally worth it. It has a ****load of extras.

CE's are indeed worth the money...most of the time.

Madhattr
04-06-2005, 01:09 AM
I bought the limited edition for Halo 2 and it was NOT worth it. You pay extra cash to see the same stuff you have seen 100 times on the internet like 5 months before the release. But ofcourse they will say "all new".
Screw em, never again.
I will probably only buy preplayed games from now on.

Variation-XBA
04-06-2005, 01:28 AM
I'll only always buy Collectors, cause that's what I do, collect.

It's the shiney boxes that do me in, I dun even care about the extra stuff:)

trabucles
04-06-2005, 02:36 PM
you forgot Mortal Kombat Deception Collector+s Edition

Variation-XBA
04-06-2005, 09:22 PM
you forgot Mortal Kombat Deception Collector+s Edition
I guess we meant the good ones ;)

Shadow20002
04-06-2005, 11:22 PM
Hmm....about Jade Empire...is the one i care the most, extra character and weapon is the way to go.

CRAYMAN
04-07-2005, 12:40 PM
Yeah, I think it's just a way to squeeze a few more dollars out of us, when you consider the amount of time we spend playing/watching the extra stuff.

*Especially since many games include extra content for nothing extra. Prince of Persia has playable versions of earlier games, so does Ninja Gaiden.*

mattgame
04-07-2005, 07:20 PM
I'll only always buy Collectors, cause that's what I do, collect.

It's the shiney boxes that do me in, I dun even care about the extra stuff:)

Me too Variation. I haven't seen the extras Halo 2 yet.

LTM360
04-09-2005, 01:36 AM
Got the Halo 2 one, never bothered to even insert the special disk. The case was all I wanted, I was mad the regular edition had the cooler booklet though. :p

Variation-XBA
04-09-2005, 02:16 AM
Me too Variation. I haven't seen the extras Halo 2 yet.
Heh same, I haven't even put in the 2nd disc yet.