PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Expects New Xbox Games Through 2007?!

skorp
04-08-2005, 07:52 PM
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - New games for Microsoft Corp.'s (MSFT.O: Quote, Profile, Research) current Xbox video game console will debut through 2007, Microsoft said on Friday, even as it prepares for the expected imminent release of an Xbox successor.
While Microsoft has not committed to a release date for the new console, code-named "Xenon," the industry universally expects it sometime at the end of 2005.

In a release on developers who will make games for that next-generation hardware, the company said "Microsoft is fully committed to this (current) generation and gamers can expect an amazing pipeline of titles into 2007."

A Microsoft spokeswoman told Reuters that 2007 is not a hard stop, but rather a guideline for the last releases of new games developed for the Xbox. Microsoft has not said whether its next console will be compatible with the current Xbox.

New games for Sony Corp.'s (6758.T: Quote, Profile, Research) PlayStation continued to come out through late 2004, even though the successor PlayStation 2 made its debut in late 2000. The PS2 is backward compatible with the PSOne.

Microsoft said every major name in the publishing and development industries has committed to make games for the new console. More details are expected next month at E3, the industry trade show in Los Angeles.

Source (http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=technologyNews&storyID=8131060)
I guess I might not need to retire my Xbox to soon.... Didn't plan to anyway.

Variation-XBA
04-09-2005, 02:18 AM
This is the norm. When a new system comes, the old one is still developed for for a year, sometimes two.

Shadow20002
04-10-2005, 06:10 PM
This is the norm. When a new system comes, the old one is still developed for for a year, sometimes two.

Yea but like....one or two every 6 months or so. :rolleyes:

Snowblind
04-10-2005, 06:52 PM
Finally, Microsoft is thinking about people who arn't mind-blowingly rich...

mattgame
04-10-2005, 11:22 PM
I'll still buy them. I'll never let my xbox go. Never.

wbio
04-11-2005, 12:11 AM
Some Playstation games are still coming out I believe, or atleast they were a few months ago, but most seem to be the real low budget $20 games.

Ninjermy
04-11-2005, 12:27 PM
Yea it said in there that PS1 games were still coming out up to late 2004. I think this is pretty neutral news. Shouldnt really be a shock to anyone.