PDA

View Full Version : Cant connect to XBOX with tunnel

El Pollo Loco
02-13-2002, 09:54 PM
Ok I'm having absolutely no luck getting the tunnel program to detect my xbox:

Here;s what I've done.

I have dsl with 2 static ip's, the dsl goes to the uplink of my switch. Then i have 2 computers plugged into the switch using the static ip;s. One of these machines has 2 nic;s and uses one for ICS on a third machine.

I plugged the xbox directly to the switch and confiured it to this machine which is the one using ICS

Does that matter? should i try configuring the xbox on my server computer which has a proper IP?

JJaX
02-14-2002, 02:40 PM
When you plug the xbox into the switch with Cat 5 the tunnel should detect it. The xbox doesnt require its own IP address. i would avoid configuring Gamespy on your machine setup with ICS. Instead cofigure it to a machine with a static IP.

l Maximus l
02-14-2002, 02:54 PM
I would check and see if your CAT 5 cables are good or defective. When I first tried, I noticed that one of my cables was defective. Also, above the input on the back of the XBox, make sure you see a green LED light go on. If it doesn't, the cable could be bad or something. You can't see the light if it's not on...even if you try looking for it...atleast, that was my situation. But, when the connection worked, it went on

JJaX
02-14-2002, 03:13 PM
Also make sure your using Cat 5, Not a crossover :D

Chaotic
02-14-2002, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by JJaX
Also make sure your using Cat 5, Not a crossover :D

Cat 5 is the general term for ethernet cable.

Crossover is 1 configuration
Straight through is the other configuration.

You want a straight through ethernet cable, meaning that on both the ends of the terminators the 8 colored wires line up.

The configuration usally is:

W=White

w/orange
orange
w/green
blue
w/blue
green
w/brown
brown

Check your cable to see if your wires on both ends of the cable look like this, if they dont you have a crossover cable which is only good for two computers,once you get passed two u need to get straight through ethernet cables and use a hub or switch.

boomvader
02-16-2002, 03:14 PM
If you did indeed plug into a 'switch' instead of a 'hub', your Xbox will not be able to broadcast to the tunnel.

-boom

stang46
02-16-2002, 03:57 PM
If you did indeed plug into a 'switch' instead of a 'hub', your Xbox will not be able to broadcast to the tunnel.

This is completely 100% WRONG. I have been using a Linksys 10/100 switch with my XBox since the tunnel software was out and have had no problems whatsoever. There is no difference between a switch and a hub besides the fact a switch has dedicated bandwidth between all ports, whereas a hub will share its bandwidth between port connections. Helping people is one thing, but helping them with totally wrong information really gets them sidetracked and makes them look at things that aren't even part of the problem. His switch is not causing the problems. Most likely I would disble ICS sharing and retry...

Frostberg
02-16-2002, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by boomvader

-boom

hub=switch, but a hub just splits the bandwidth up, and with the xbox its pointless because it doesnt need any from your modem, it does everything through the comp.

El Pollo Loco
02-17-2002, 05:21 AM
Got it now. the stupid server with ICS was messing it up.

Thanks for all the help :)