PDA

View Full Version : Sony vs Microsoft

Underdog
12-07-2000, 11:51 PM
I received an email the other day from a Babbage's employee. In it the employee stated that Sony made a call to all Babbage's Etc stores (including all of
their affiliate stores i.e. Funcoland, PlanetX, Software Etc. Super Software -
you get the point) and demanded that they take down all Xbox signs and
advertisements. They then proceeded to threaten them that they would never again
send them any Sony or Sony related products if we didn't take all Xbox signage
down.

I was wondering is there anybody out that has heard anything about this? I'm going to give my local Babbage's a call later on in the day and see what they have to say.

wyst
12-08-2000, 05:58 AM
<font color=green>No "company" would do that, for it's illegal. It is called restraint of trade, and SONY would have their arses sued off them in a second.

However, it is not uncommon for the Reps, to perhaps say something like that to store personnal.</font>

------------------
I never use signatures

Tom
12-08-2000, 04:20 PM
Ah, lemme give you guys some pretty hard learned info on my end here. I managed a Babbage's for quite a while. First, it's kind of hard to take the wording as in "You must do this" or "you must do that". But, I definitly can't say that it would be unbelievable that Sony would do such a thing, but can't say I ever had that kind of experience when I worked for Babbages. But, this close to Christmas, Sony is worried about people saying to heck with the PS2 (shortage and all) and going ahead and putting cash down on the Xbox. So, I for one wouldn't rule it out.

wyst
12-10-2000, 04:27 PM
<font color=lime> Still as I pointed out, a company itself cannot take that course of action, for it is illegal.

I do understand, and know of many Reps who do that sort of thing all the time. That is to be expected.

However, it can't come officialy from SONY, for it's restraint of trade and they would put themself in a serious legal situation..</font>

------------------
I never use signatures

[This message has been edited by wyst (edited December 10, 2000).]

Tom
12-11-2000, 09:57 AM
I agree with you on that one man. I'm pretty sure that forcing a retailer not to sell someone else's product would be illegal. http://www.xboxaddict.com/ubb/wink.gif Well, if it isn't ... it should be!

Kamshaft
12-11-2000, 11:02 AM
Dude,

Read the news post bro, one of our own boys saw the XBox adverts, and now they are gone. He ain't dreaming this stuff up. I smell something fishy here...And I wouldn't put it passed Sony. I've seen Sony do weird funky stuff in their Home Electronics dept. in the past...my friend did work at a Sony Store.

Sony, be afraid, be very afraid! LOL...I get a good laugh when I see BIG companies like Sony act like little kids. LOL

Kuni D
12-11-2000, 03:54 PM
Hmmmm, and this is the sorta thing you normally expect from MS http://www.xboxaddict.com/ubb/wink.gif
Balmer and Gates must be in heaven.
I heard a interesting rumour.
To take on sony's plan to make a home entertainment unit out of the PS2, MS may incorporate their upcoming .NET platform for the XBox, so it'll have a lot more net integration, amongst other features that are .NET.

------------------
====================
This is my world.
I let you live in it!