PDA

View Full Version : Far Cry coming in September

StudioAlex
04-12-2005, 02:17 PM
Linkage (http://media.xbox.ign.com/media/621/621324/imgs_1.html)

This game rocks my butt.

http://xboxmedia.ign.com/xbox/image/article/603/603155/far-cry-instincts-20050411104626746.jpg

Sammael
04-12-2005, 02:44 PM
Wow that looks horrible... Compared to PC.

MixMasta
04-12-2005, 02:59 PM
I never picked this game up for the PC. I heard it was short, the gameplay was ehhh, but the graphics were awesome. I have the demo, but I haven't played much of it.

You think I should pick this up for the PC?

mattgame
04-12-2005, 03:03 PM
Why compare it to a PC? I think it looks okay but who cares that it is not comparable to the pc?

Sorry, I'm raggin' today.

MerimacHamwich
04-12-2005, 03:40 PM
Why compare it to a PC? I think it looks okay but who cares that it is not comparable to the pc?

Sorry, I'm raggin' today.
Why compare it to PC? Becuase it is on PC. Why compare games that are on XBox, to the same game that is on GameCube or PS2?

StudioAlex
04-12-2005, 03:49 PM
Yes. Play it on PC. IT's awesome. I just prefer to play on my Xbox. I just like controllers, except for games like civ and sim city. And it's silly to point out that the PC's graphics are better. The box's hardware is four years old at this point.

MerimacHamwich
04-12-2005, 04:02 PM
For that matter it is silly to compare Xbox Graphics to the PS2. After all the PS2's hardware is even older than the Xbox! Yet, we do it all the time, don't we?

SamSmith
04-12-2005, 04:05 PM
i have the pc version and i thought it was very good... but a bit overrated, and relied alot on its impressive graphics... the water effects on the xbox version look great!!
but im not really hyped for this one, setting traps sounds fun thouhgh

Variation-XBA
04-12-2005, 09:21 PM
Keep in mind that the Doom3 shots that were/are seen are nowhere near as good as INgame, so I don't really hold the "compare to PC" fight with this one either.

But yes, it looks amazing on PC, so if they do a goodjob like Doom3, it will look awesome on Xbox as well.

mattgame
04-12-2005, 09:38 PM
Thank you Variation. Xbox and PS2 are consoles, thus the comparisons. PC's are well, they're PC's.

Shadow20002
04-12-2005, 11:46 PM
This one have coop mode?

SPARTAN VI
04-13-2005, 01:03 AM
Weapon model looks 'bleh', I doubt a normal tube television will show showcase the detail we see in that screenshot.

SamSmith
04-13-2005, 01:21 AM
yeah the weapon doesnt look great, and his hands look a bit plasticy... and not very hand like, but as variation said about the doom3 shots, in game will look much better.
but more importantly i hopw it plays well!!
and the good news is that it looks like the ps2 version is getting dropped, so we wont have to deal with a crappy ps2 port :)

StudioAlex
04-13-2005, 11:06 AM
For that matter it is silly to compare Xbox Graphics to the PS2. After all the PS2's hardware is even older than the Xbox! Yet, we do it all the time, don't we?Do we? Maybe they pointlessly whine about PS2 games not looking as good as Xbox games on a PS site, but around here it's usually people complaining that lazy developers don't adequately improve cross platform games for the xbox.

CuartoDePuto
04-13-2005, 11:12 AM
I played through this on PC. Pretty sweet game, is it a straight port to xbox?

StudioAlex
04-13-2005, 11:33 AM
I hope so. The open environment is what I really liked about it. But it's that same aspect that I think would be hard to duplicate on the box.

Sammael
04-13-2005, 11:38 AM
From what I remember reading this is not a straight port. Infact the full title I believe is Far Cry: Instincts. I've never played the game before, but I think the story has something to do about radioactive chemicals... If I remember correctly reading about Instincts, the main character is actually contaiminated with trace amounts of the chemical give him special abilities hence the "Instincts" subtitle.

The most interesting change to the game has to do with its story and how it will affect the gameplay. Those who played the original Far Cry will remember that much of the plot centered on the development of a powerful mutagen. In Instincts, the protagonist, Jack Carver, will actually be fully infected by this mutagen, turning him into a superhuman creature. You'll still be able to fight with weapons, but you'll also have powerful melee attacks and extrasensory capabilities. One of these is called "redolence," which will give you the ability to track enemies by scent. While activating redolence, you'll see the colored glow of creature pheromones, but this can fade over time and distance of you don't track closely enough. "Moonlight" and "incalescence" will enhance your vision, with the former giving you better sight in low light and the latter giving you thermal vision. A camouflage ability will allow you to stand still and change your skin to the color of your surroundings, like a chameleon. As long as you stand perfectly still, mercs can walk right by you and not notice. Another interesting detail is that your superhuman strength will allow you to rip out mounted guns and carry them around.