PDA

View Full Version : How to clean my DVD drive?

MixMasta
04-17-2005, 05:46 PM
What is a good product for cleaning my Xbox DVD drive? I want to try at least doing that first before I go through the hassle of taking it apart and trying this:

http://llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/cleaning_your_dvd_drive.htm

I'm getting DDE constanly with Doom 3 and Jade Empire, and sometimes on Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, and if I end up picking up Unreal Championship 2 this week, I'll most likely get DDEs with it too, because I did on the demo, lol.

And don't tell me to buy a new Xbox, because I don't feel like it.

Highlite23
04-17-2005, 06:19 PM
Well you can try the following...

Discwasher- Has a dry and wet brush, works very well if it is indeed just a "Dirty" problem, Let sit at least 24hrs after cleaning.Available at most Suncoast or like video stores. $20.00.
Drive Replacement-Lahma has Thompsons for $50, just plug and play. Have done ths on a few for friends works great. Will replace any drive.
Replace the laser-Can get the laser assembly for any one of the drives for about $20-$30 on ebay. easy install, again works graet.
Buy a new Xbox-Don't recomend it, even used will cost ya $130, save your cash and buy a new game or two.

Good Luck :)

Variation-XBA
04-18-2005, 02:07 AM
Get one of those disc cleaners with the tiny brush on the bottom, and a can of air to blow out any dust. Make sure it's not on the carpet either.

Shadow20002
04-19-2005, 05:41 AM
I don't know but from my experience, my Xbox is getting DDEs with those Gold disc but i have never get any error with a silver disc. Strange....