PDA

View Full Version : Waxing Nostalgic

thrAsher
04-21-2005, 11:11 AM
As talk on these boards and elsewhere turns toward the next generation of games and consoles, I thought it would be a good time to just reflect on what the Xbox has meant to us as gamers, and some of the good times we've all had w/ our big, black boxes.

For some, it's their first console. For others, it's the newest in a long line going back to the Atari 2600, perhaps. But in all, it's been a pretty interesting ride. And the console is really just a tool, a machine, what makes it more than a giant hunk of plastic and chips is the games. And they've run the gamut of good, bad, and ugly. Yet, I have some fond memories of gaming on the Xbox, both single player and online w/ freaks like this lot here at the Asylum.

Some of the high points for me: playing Halo for the first time w/ my little brother and nearly beating it in 8 hours of straight co-op mayhem. Endless hours of LAN party fun w/ my buddies over beers and munchies.

Sitting down, plugging my new Xbox in, and popping in my Sega GT/JSRF disc and not moving for hours. Sega GT held my attention about an hour, and did nothing to impress me, but JSRF was so kitschy and cool that I couldn't blink for hours.

Playing through Panzer Dragoon Orta, and wondering why in the hell the Japanese were so good at what they did, and not caring if I died and had to re-do a level because the game was equal parts fun and beauty.

Getting Xbox Live and playing a 16 player Dogfight in Chicago. I was BLOWN_AWAY! I became feverishly addicted to the game, and still love Crimson Skies. I spent far and away more time on Live w/ that game than any other, including Halo 2 and R63. In particular, I loved playing w/ Fragmaster B and Mrs. Fragmaster. Good times, good people. There was also one match I played on Arixo w/ a ton of XBA people where we obliterated the other team in 'Grab the Chicken' or whatever that mode was called.

R63...that game...the Federation, Bert luring unsuspecting children 'under the stairs', flash bang/tear gas 'smoke-outs', Ninja Scroll screaming 'bout ... well, everything, Kortiz singing country like a good ol' boy, Dark Enemy and Dirty Destro taking the game waaay too seriously and getting pissed when the team did poorly, Silvertrace, JJax and Xtopia being general badasses and ALWAYS getting the lead off before I could, the one time when I was 'ON' and kept putting SkoalMintCowboy and Duke in the dirt (yay for ME!), getting the Wrecking Crew together (Alpha, LTM, REC, and myself, w/ lllusion and others getting in on the co-op terrorist hunt action). Lots of memories w/ that game, and the best ones from when we were all just goofing off.

LTM and Alpha's uber-aggravating, non-stop, hour and a half long Tetris session that I was hosting and had to sit through. Bastage-mooger-foogers, I love ya.

Rallisport Challenge and my Korean co-driver. May he rest in peace.

Halo 2 mornings w/ Casper, Duke, and Destro. We either schooled people w/ unyielding might, or got bent over and dug-out by the other team.

So many memories, too many to list in one post. And as things shift toward rumors and news of the inevitable launch of Microsoft's next console, I can't help but think about the last couple years and some of the good times I've had in the most escapist hobby ever created. Just makes me want to get back online and enjoy this generation as it becomes a thing of the past, although I'm sure many of us will still be around in two years, playing Halo 3 and Crimson Skies 2, bull****ting on these or other boards, and loving our past-time as much as ever.

Feel free to chime in w/ some of your great Xbox memories. I'm sure you've all got them.

Sammael
04-21-2005, 11:20 AM
I took off 3 days of work and stood inline at 10am to get my preordered Xbox with Munch, Halo, and PGR. Played all day all night all day all night. Loved it. Cant wait for 360.

Variation-XBA
04-22-2005, 02:42 AM
When I got LIVE then played RTCW, I would play all day everyday with Blinx and a few others and got VERY VERY good at it. I really haven't gotten into anything lately that much as I did with that game.

I have a feeling Conkers will be my next big one.

mattgame
04-24-2005, 10:46 PM
When I bought my first xbox for 350 bucks my wife went nuts. We had a big argument about me spending money on myself of all people! I decided right then that to show her who is the boss, I will beg her without mercy or hint of pride until she let me keep it.

It worked. :)

Slowride
04-24-2005, 11:06 PM
I use to play CS online for hours every day. It was a blast. I was particularly good at it as well which made it all the better. XBL is, in my mind, what really makes the xbox worth having. I haven't had XBL in 10 months now....wow that went by fast. Anyways, due to this I haven't played my xbox but a couple times in that time span. I don't really understand how to set it up. My apt complex gives me free wireless internet. I bought a wifi card and connect directly to an antanae outside my apt. Anywho...I hope xbox2 comes with a wireless card. Then i'll be set.

SamSmith
04-25-2005, 01:39 AM
ahh, thrasher... that was a cool post :)

i remember when i got mine... my ps2 never got used since :)

FragMaster B
05-06-2005, 10:27 AM
Nice posts there Thrash. The Mrs was googling her tag and found this. Gotta love the self Google... hehehe. Miss playing with you man. You were always a good head to play with. We need to hook up again sometime. I don't play a whole lot lately but I can be found on Halo 2 at least 1 or 2 nights a week as of late. And yes... I still suck. Just in it for the fun. No hopes of being 733t.

Get in touch sometime and lets hook up. Not even sure if you're still on my FL...
Web: www.lagxbl.com
email & MSN IM: bartlewis[~at~]gmail.com

thrAsher
05-06-2005, 11:41 AM
FRAGMASTER!

Wow, man, good to see you too, bro. Ah, good ol' Mrs. Frag. How's she? Send her my best. Been a long time since we got down w/ any Crimson Skies, eh? I'll send you a friend's request here next time I hop on. I am also awful at Halo 2, we should team up and show the power of the 4g3d (like being 1337, only older). :cheers:

Again, good to hear from you. Catch you around, man.