PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars: Battlefront II Announced.

LTM360
04-21-2005, 01:41 PM
Star Wars: Battlefront II strikes back
Sequel to Pandemic's shooter gives SW fans a new hope and marks the return of Jedi on PS2s, Xboxes, and PCs.

The Star Wars frenzy is really beginning to heat up. With the impending release of Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith, the final movie (or mid-point, depending how you look at it) in George Lucas' six-chapter space drama, the Star Wars-licensed games have really begun to roll in. Lego Star Wars was released earlier this month, Star Wars: Empire at War was announced early this year, and Revenge of the Sith and Star Wars Galaxies: Rage of the Wookiees will both be released in the first week of May.

Click Here.

If that wasn't enough for insatiable Star Wars fans, LucasArts today announced Star Wars: Battlefront II, the sequel to the popular third-person shooter released last year. The game will once again be developed by Pandemic Studios, who previously worked with LucasArts on Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction. Battlefront II is scheduled to be released this fall on the Xbox, PlayStation 2, and PC.

The main draw of the original Battlefront was the frenetic action of a raging battle between the Rebel forces and the Empire--Battlefront II will be no different in that respect. Once again, the game will take place during events of all of the films of the sci-fi franchise. Levels will range from the interior of the Death Star from the original 1977 film, to the volcanic Mustafar, the setting for the final duel between Obi-Wan and Darth Vader in the upcoming Revenge of the Sith.

Battlefront II will also mark the debut of space combat in the franchise. Players will be able to commandeer various cosmic vessels. Once at the helm, they can dock with capital ships, exit the vehicle, and continue to fight on foot in the spaceship's interior. Regarding the flight system and controls, Shara Miller, a producer at LucasArts, told GameSpot, "It's more Rogue Squadron style than X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter."

Gamers eager to use the force will be happy to know that the mighty light-saber-wielding Jedi are now playable, though it isn't yet clear how they will be incorporated into the balanced roster of characters.

Pandemic has also added a more extensive open-ended mission-based single-player mode spanning 12 locations. The online portion of the game has been taken up a notch, as well. In addition to new modes, the multiplayer portion supports up to 24 players on the PS2, 32 on the Xbox, and 64 on the PC.

For more information on Star Wars: Battlefront II, check out GameSpot's previous coverage, which includes a First Look at the game, as well as an Interview with producer Shara Miller.

By Tim Surette -- GameSpot (http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/04/21/news_6122697.html)

Hopefully the game will have better latency problems, and a little more gameplay variation. The Air combat definately sounds good.

Sammael
04-21-2005, 01:44 PM
I liked BF for about 2 weeks but its lack of varity quickly bored me. I would love to give BF2 a chance, but unless they do a version for 360 I'm not buying anymore Xbox games after Conker.

Reclaimer
04-21-2005, 07:56 PM
Man, the day BF came out I rented it and had a blast playing with the members here. It was madness for days. I remember stepping on Chewie with an AT-ST while LTM360 was being my gunner. Then a few days later I took the game back and bought a new copy of it. That very day I purchased the game.. nobody from XBA ever played the game again.

I tried playing with strangers, but I could never tell what side had how many players and I'd always end up with the team of all bots and I couldn't figure out if they're just ignoring me or something. I got kind of bored.

I'm sort of interested in this sequel. Maybe... perhaps.. possibly even remotely interested.

vman
04-22-2005, 12:13 AM
NICE! LucasArts just keeps on giving with fun, quality games.

SamSmith
04-22-2005, 01:39 AM
why not go for next gen?? they probably want to make it for xbox1 because it has a definate user base... xbox360 (hopefully it wont be named that) will just be starting up, and wont reach the number of users that its predecessor had for some time... still, i think next gen is where we should be looking now :)

Variation-XBA
04-22-2005, 02:35 AM
Wonder how the Jedi stuff is going to work.

StudioAlex
04-22-2005, 09:54 AM
Jedi's probably won't work very well. I think it should only be allowed in single player games. I mean, if they make jedis as strong as they should be, no one will want to play with anything else. The only way I think they can resolve this, while still keeping Jedi powerful, would be for them to limit how many times you can become a jedi in a given battle. Maybe twice or thrice a battle.

Sammael
04-22-2005, 10:00 AM
I read on one of these previews that the Jedi's will have to be "earned" and that even though they are Jedi's they will not be a out of control dominate force. I can see it now, every little tiny-bopper "I WANNA BE A JEDI WAAAAAAAA"

StudioAlex
04-22-2005, 10:06 AM
See. If he doesn't kick total butt, then why bother putting a jedi in the game? Seems like they're caving to popular opinion without considering its actual gameplay implications.

Variation-XBA
04-22-2005, 10:58 AM
Maybe after playing a certain amount of time on a server, or after a certain amount of kills/medals/xp whatever.

Reclaimer
04-22-2005, 11:30 AM
Or maybe if the server has the option to randomly make someone a Jedi on both sides and then rotate player to player.

Duke
04-22-2005, 11:36 AM
Or maybe if the server has the option to randomly make someone a Jedi on both sides and then rotate player to player.

That'd be a decent solution. Other than that, I'd probably just have jedi's disabled the whole time.

Posting during the day eh Rec? How's temporary retirement treating you?

Reclaimer
04-22-2005, 11:40 AM
That'd be a decent solution. Other than that, I'd probably just have jedi's disabled the whole time.

Posting during the day eh Rec? How's temporary retirement treating you?

Like crap, thanks for asking.
But it's looking better. I'll explain why in it's own thread.

mattgame
04-22-2005, 12:39 PM
Star Wars games are getting kind of old to me. Battlefront was sort of a let down. The only Star Wars game I liked was Jedi Outcast.