PDA

View Full Version : Ubi becoming the next EA?

Sammael
04-26-2005, 02:36 PM
I mean they are grinding out sequels like a crackhead mother on welfare grinds out kids...

With the recent announcement of a new POP game set to release later this year it has kinda made me think. Is Ubi becoming the next EA just rehashing sequel after sequel with nothing original in the pipeworks?

POP:WW was a HUGE disappointment compared to SOT. Just like I feel Rainbow Six: Lockdown will be embarrassing... New Splinter Cells every year... GR...

Whisper
04-26-2005, 02:43 PM
well this is the genre they've chosen to focus on.. they want to be a realistic anti-terror game maker.. im sure games will have improvments in them

FB-Gollum
04-26-2005, 02:43 PM
I've said it before, I'll say it again, Ubi games are all shimmer and no substance. With a little more effort and development time they could unbelievable, but Ubi won't commit the resources for that. They hire GREAT artists, but the actual gameplay still lacks. Why isn't SC:CT completely open ended? Why did they charge full price for a 2 bit expansion pack that fixed a bug THEY left in, and THEY KNEW ALL ABOUT from over a year before release? Why do they rehash the levels and MP from Pandora Tomorrow with a few new moves rather than actually develop the series? Why? Cause it costs money and they are banking on licenses (like Clancy) over quality and ingenuity.

StudioAlex
04-26-2005, 05:32 PM
Ever SC cell has improved markedly over the last. But they should give it a rest for a couple of years. Look at Tony Hawk. They should have started waiting more than a year for each new one.

ramprider0
04-26-2005, 05:54 PM
Tony Hawk when downhill when they hit #4 :cry:

mattgame
04-26-2005, 06:15 PM
I don't know what to say. I like the SC series but I am not that fond of Rainbow 6. So I'm sort of in between. PoP ww was a disappointment.

Variation-XBA
04-27-2005, 01:30 AM
Is Ubi becoming the next EA just rehashing sequel after sequel with nothing original in the pipeworks?

New Splinter Cells every year... GR...

But the SC gets better every time though.

Sounds to me like Nintendo-syndrome ;)

Reclaimer
04-27-2005, 01:49 AM
It's just a winning combination for them and it works. They have three strong games under their belt and they're all in the Tom Clancy Series. They have several other games but they're all hit and miss.
Sequels are generally the easiest way to make money. You don't have to develope a new game from the ground up. The platform is already in place. It's more cost effective in my opinion to pump out sequels for your strongest games.
People will buy them.

Because Ubi uses several development houses to makes games like Ubi-Shanghai, Ubi-Montreal, they can put out sequels quickly.

Highlite23
04-27-2005, 12:11 PM
I have to lean twords liking what Ubi is doing, the Splinter Cell series I think has made great strides to improve with each version, although it may be wise to space the releases out a bit more.

Personaly I wish the different Ubi branches would push some of the "Sleeper" titles to the forefront, Beyond Good and Evil, and Deathrow are 2 of my all time favorite under the radar games, hell even Tork was an above average platformer that could be had for a mere $20.

Koopa
04-27-2005, 06:07 PM
I've said it before, I'll say it again, Ubi games are all shimmer and no substance. With a little more effort and development time they could unbelievable, but Ubi won't commit the resources for that. They hire GREAT artists, but the actual gameplay still lacks. Why isn't SC:CT completely open ended? Why did they charge full price for a 2 bit expansion pack that fixed a bug THEY left in, and THEY KNEW ALL ABOUT from over a year before release? Why do they rehash the levels and MP from Pandora Tomorrow with a few new moves rather than actually develop the series? Why? Cause it costs money and they are banking on licenses (like Clancy) over quality and ingenuity.
i dont know how much more open ended chaos theory could have been without becoming grand theft tom clancy. it was pretty damn open ended. throw the guards body over the cliff or konk him out and hide him, or avoid him. take the vent around the kitchen, or throw a grenade in and walk through. of course there's got to be some linearity to the game, because you are a spy with a MISSION to complete. but really...the ship level, the displace level, and the japan level were pretty damn open ended.

the only reason i'd want ubi to slow down on pumping out great games is because i need time to get more money.

mattgame
04-27-2005, 06:17 PM
Good point. I really am a fan of Splinter Cell and like you said, there are so many ways to get through a mission, I just love it.

Popcorn Fairy
04-29-2005, 06:34 PM
I loved Splinter Cell CT. Ubisoft did not rehash each splinter cell sequel. First of all, Pandora was made by a completely different faction of Ubisoft in Korea (I think.) Pandora was different in that the environments were much more unique in that it was a jungle esque feeling instead of metallic walls, and it felt more open, not to mention the innovatoin of multiplayer. CT is revolutionary in that there is a bit of a non-linear feel. For example, the level Bank where you could either walk in through the front or slip around, turn off the security system, open the window and climb down through a rope. Then why did they bring back the old multiplayer maps? Well, with any great multiplayer game with a sequel, they usually bring back old maps that were popular *coughhalo2coagulationwarlockcough*

Warehouse, Museum, and the others were really popular, which is why they brought them back. Oh yah, and if you look, there are new maps that are just as great.

Stop whining and enjoy the game.

CRAYMAN
05-02-2005, 04:34 PM
I'll have to agree with the last few posts.
Ubi offers a third person action adventure game, a stealth game and a first/over-the-shoulder person shooter and a straight FPS. Granted they struck out with the last PoP, but most of their titles offer quality sequel after sequel in three different genre's. Pretty impressive lineup too.

Spaztic
05-03-2005, 08:53 AM
I obviously doubt that anyone saying POP WW didn't live up to the hype didn't play the game!!! WW was bounds better then the first! Great enemies and fighting, the climbing puzzles were top notch, the music was good besides godsmack.... :bang:

bbchs_trash
05-03-2005, 10:22 AM
Did you guys miss Band of Brothers?

Sammael
05-03-2005, 11:33 AM
I obviously doubt that anyone saying POP WW didn't live up to the hype didn't play the game!!! WW was bounds better then the first! Great enemies and fighting, the climbing puzzles were top notch, the music was good besides godsmack.... :bang:

Nope I loved SOT, and hated WW. Just seemed loose and clunky, the controls didn't feel right, not like in SOT. The combat seemed the same even though UBI boosted about some new combat system.

However I did love the parts running from the demon with Godsmack playing. Maybe I'll pick it up from the bargin bin.

Conchord
05-03-2005, 05:34 PM
I mean they are grinding out sequels like a crackhead mother on welfare grinds out kids...

With the recent announcement of a new POP game set to release later this year it has kinda made me think. Is Ubi becoming the next EA just rehashing sequel after sequel with nothing original in the pipeworks?

POP:WW was a HUGE disappointment compared to SOT. Just like I feel Rainbow Six: Lockdown will be embarrassing... New Splinter Cells every year... GR...

the Prince sequel did well with critics, all though I never actually played it. sands of Time was amazing. Every Splinter Cell game has surpassed its predecessor.

And BTW...the original Ghost Recon came out on PC in the year 2001. That's more than one year.

And as far as Ubi is concerned, all of their games have been good. Sales and customer feedback show this, so why not?

StudioAlex
05-03-2005, 10:03 PM
It's not as if UBI is pumping out the exact same game with stat updates and charging 50 dollars for it. But aren't the real villains the morons who reward that kind of behavior?

Conchord
05-03-2005, 11:36 PM
You mean the people who keep buying the games?

lol