PDA

View Full Version : Oddworld gone!?

mordecai
05-02-2005, 09:50 PM
Has Oddworld Inhabitants really gone out of business? Check this out --> http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/columns/video_games_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000884458

I found this news crushing. Next to Bungie, they were my favorite game developers and they still haven't finished their series (they were supposed to do 5 but they've only done 4). I guess I will just have to hope they make a movie as the 5th part of the storyline.

Casper
05-02-2005, 10:42 PM
Wow, first time I heard that. That really sucks - I loved his games. He seemed weird as hell though, when they did the documentary on them and Bungie and MGS. Well, he'll be making one helluva movie, I will guarantee that. It's a shame though because I liked those kinda games he was doing - sucks.

Highlite23
05-02-2005, 11:43 PM
Thats to bad, one of my favorite guys and games, but what I found interesting, and what some gamers should pay attention to is this little tid bit...

"Lorne Lanning: Yes, it was very critically acclaimed but it wasn't advertised or marketed because Electronic Arts couldn't get its PlayStation 2 port of our Xbox original to run and if EA isn't on all SKUs, it just won't promote the game."

EA's true colors. Then again, Lanning left Microsoft for EA because he thought the bigger publisher would help him and his games. Guess Not. :confused:

DemonLoki
05-03-2005, 01:14 AM
These guys actually spent time to produce quality games too-

Thats to bad, one of my favorite guys and games, but what I found interesting, and what some gamers should pay attention to is this little tid bit...

"Lorne Lanning: Yes, it was very critically acclaimed but it wasn't advertised or marketed because Electronic Arts couldn't get its PlayStation 2 port of our Xbox original to run and if EA isn't on all SKUs, it just won't promote the game."

EA's true colors. Then again, Lanning left Microsoft for EA because he thought the bigger publisher would help him and his games. Guess Not. :confused:
Yep EA suck- I went to a lecture by a former employee of EA- He and 60 others were laid off when EA took them over (hostile takeover) They canned his current project (I saw bad *** demo game would have been awesome, but EA wanted 5 billion sport clones not original titles)
EA makes good concepts unoriginal (When EA got James Bond franchise=blasphemy Rare's GoldenEye was a better than anything they’ve made) No one at EA has the balls to do something innovative or take a chance on something they haven‘t already done ten times.

Variation-XBA
05-03-2005, 03:32 AM
Sad to hear :( Wonder if EA will let the series die now.

SamSmith
05-03-2005, 06:44 AM

damn EA, i wish they would die... they probably will let go of the series, in favour of more crappy sequels... such innovation, but ea dont give a crap. this is a real shame

mordecai
05-03-2005, 10:00 AM

It think Oddworld Inhabitants still have the rights to it. Lanning seamed to stress the fact that they kept their IP rights and mentioned it was possible that they would make a 5th installment on video. This means no more Oddworld games but atleast we don't have to see the franchise butchered by EA.

TheCovenant
05-03-2005, 05:24 PM
Wow, first time I heard that. That really sucks - I loved his games. He seemed weird as hell though, when they did the documentary on them and Bungie and MGS. Well, he'll be making one helluva movie, I will guarantee that. It's a shame though because I liked those kinda games he was doing - sucks.

its hard to take you seriously without the avatar...

and has anyone played outlaw? good storyline. I dont know, i am upset as this was a very promising developers. Whats to become of lorne lanning? all his talent cant be just...wasted...