PDA

View Full Version : Dissapointed

XAddict
02-14-2002, 08:42 PM
I am just wondering a little bit about this trend that i am seeing. This has happened with a couple games (wreckless, wwf raw). All these games are soppose to be just awesome and a must play game. Then everytime they come out I am let down. Is this a trend or no. Makes me wonder of brute force or elder scrolls 3 will be good?

thoughts anyone

Shadow Fox
02-14-2002, 08:53 PM
Morrowind will be fine; unless some kind of way the game is totally revamped from the PC version, which I highly doubt. The previous Elder Scrolls games were good, but not perfect. However, the new ES3 demos show alot of promise for the PC; let's just hope the same goes for the Xbox.

As for Brute Force, this game hasn't had a prequel, so no one knows what exactly it will play like. Right now it does have some X-Squad/Perfect Dark elements and very good character models, so the game appears to be shaping up well. Once again, it will take the gameplay to truly prove this title worthy as well.

-Official Ninja of XboxAddict

GokuX
02-14-2002, 09:52 PM
Look at each game with zero expectation, that way U'll never be let down. I look at each new game as a potential flopper because I've seen my share of hyped up letdowns. I know though that there will inevitibly be some great floaters among the lead weighted sinkers in the great Xbox gaming ocean.

sinizuh
02-14-2002, 10:11 PM
the majority of xbox games i've played have been disappointing.

hellfire
02-14-2002, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by sinizuh
the majority of xbox games i've played have been disappointing.

I will have to agree with you - only good games I have enjoyed, genma onimusha(too short), Halo, Max Payne (too short) and a couple sports games, but outside of those, dissapointing overhyped games.

Azazel
02-14-2002, 10:18 PM
Ive been very happy with the games so far. No let downs here.

Woocifer
02-14-2002, 10:23 PM
I find that most of the games being put out are just projects to see what they can screw with. Has anyone noticed the insurmountable usage of that water phsyics effect in games? EVERY game has it... I can just imagine they will make a pool game or tetris and it will have this water effect in it.

I don't want to buy games on a whim anymore, I'd rather rent and see if it has depth. I have found some games to be really good, but there aren't many right now. I find that Project Ego will be the first super important title that will be awaited and will push the level up a bit. Until then, we have to put up with the developers seeing what works and what doesn't.

I don't care for hype. I only recently bought Wreckless because I had a gift certificate and knew I wasnt paying full price...now I'm basically getting half of that back in a trade in. I knew the game was going to be a waste of time by the amount of fanboys that went nuts over it. It wasn't for me because I got through it too quickly. Now I know Project Gotham Racing isnt the best game, and its idea of variety can be a little tedious...but I got a good 2-3 weeks STRAIGHT quality play out of it where I WANTED to keep coming back to beat new tracks and get new cars. It wasn't over in a few minutes...and that is what I want. If I wanted entertainment for 2 hours, I would buy a DVD.

Give me my moneys worth, and I'll make you rich.

hellfire
02-14-2002, 10:24 PM
"Ive been very happy with the games so far. No let downs here."

Wish I could say the same - It is a great system, but still waiting for many games that I want, and they keep getting pushed back. Starting to get frustrating.

Toder
02-15-2002, 03:54 AM
XADDICT i'll have to agree with on, but some games have been quite great. Halo, one of the best FPS games i've ever played. Max Payne awsome third person shooter. One the other hand most of the games i've rented have been disapointing. But with 25 games supposed to be released between now and the end of mrach. I'm sure you'll find a game that won't disapoint you. Personally i can't wait for Hunter: the Reckoning to come out (May 2002). I got hooked when i saw the trailer for it on a demo disc.

I don't think its a trend. Things will get better. :D

XBOXgamer13
02-15-2002, 09:27 AM
the early trailers of Brute Force looks good. Anyways, there's a lot of games out there which will not disappoint you

robnyack
02-15-2002, 11:40 AM
it's not just xbox games that usually are disappointing, it's ALL games are usually disappointing. Xbox, gamecube, ps2, pc, dont matter. Whatever platform being used, the makers of these games hype the **** out of their games and then rarely does the game live up to it's hype.

That's the nature of the business. That's why you rely on reviews and renting before rushing out to by the that new game that "takes gameplay to new levels, and graphics never seen before". It's all BS.

There are far more Kabuki Warriors out there than Halos. That goes for ALL games on all platforms. It's just the way it is. You have to be discriminating with your dollars and try to weed thru the crap to find the gem.

robnyack
02-15-2002, 11:48 AM
btw,

overall, I have been pretty happy with the games that I have purchased for the xbox. I dont think there is one game that I rushed out to buy without first checking it out beforehand.

I was really close to buying Inside Drive upon release, but when i went to EB and was able to play it, I scratched it right off my list.

Max Payne is a great game (I dont get this "too short" critisism). I'm having a very good time with "Mensha Whatever it is", both football games are great and have spent way too many hours playing. Blood Wake is a great game. Project Gothem Racing is cool and fun. Munch's Oddworld is a great game. Halo is a great game.

I think you have to apply the 8 to 1 rule. For every 8 games released, 7 of them are gonna suck. Look at all the games there are for ps2. You think they are all good? Hell, most of them suck too! Same thing for the pc, same thing for GC, same thing for Dreamcast, Supernintendo, Sega64, and on and on and on. Nature of the beast.

Xtopia
02-15-2002, 11:56 AM
Well spoken!

l Maximus l
02-15-2002, 12:33 PM
One of the main reasons why there is a perception of crappy games is that everyone has their own likes and dislikes. Other reasons is that a game simply sucks....like Kabuki Warriors.

I, for one, think that Fuzion Frenzy is one of the worst games I have ever seen...but, then again, I'm not one for the party game genre...other people are, though...and, that's great for them!

Also, keep in mind that the XBox has no current RPGs out. Morrowind will be the first full-fledged RPG for the console. So, fans of this genre have been extremely patient...And, I must admit, even as a person who is not the biggest fans of RPGs, that, this could be a little frusterating. Also, pyschologically, people get all worked up and build up hype for games, and often times they get delayed (which all gamers should be used to...if they aren't used to this, then, they are not a gamer...delays have happened since the days of Atari), and when the game finally comes out, it doesn't meet their expectations. So, I can understand people's frusterations.

Project Ego is supposed to be the best RPG ever created...setting a new bench mark to the RPG genre...but, as you all know, none of us have seen this game in action...so, again, we'll have to see.

Personally, I like to find positive things in every game. Yes, I have played games that have disappointed me...and, I have done a lot of homework before buying a game. But, I actually did make a very disappointing purchase and got Bloodwake. I have only played 3 hours of this game and I lost all my interest because my other 9 games I really enjoy. I'll go back to Bloodwake some other time...maybe I just need to give it more time.

Robynack probably has the best post on this thread. He makes some incredible points and keeps it bottom line and within reason. Every system has it's set backs...just don't become a victim of over-hype. Definatley be excited!!! But, cautious...because, games are not cheap things. Well, there's my 2 cents.

FuNkY mOnK
02-15-2002, 01:44 PM
The problem today is, with the new hardware its way to easy to cash in on the visuals alone. And believe me there’s plenty of crappy references to learn from, and capitalize on the others mistakes. What the industry needs are fresh minds to compliment the fresh hardware. Till then we can only hope for the trickles of gaming splendor that escape the clutches of the stale minds and get proper funding in turn for true gaming. Which I believe is MS objective.

GokuX
02-15-2002, 01:51 PM
I think in general the game market is in a lull. The PS2 has some good ones, but just look at the long line of cruddy games that PS2 owners had to wait through to get to the good games now. The same will hold true for the Xbox and GC. They both have good ones like HALO, and RL, and I'm sure most will agree a much better launch line up than the PS2 could muster. It's a matter of time that's all. If ure impatient then U'll likely just sell off your Xbox, but to have not considered that this slowdown and wait would occur is neglegence on the part of the consumer. I made the purchase knowing full well there'd be dry spots a long the way where there wouldn't be any games for months.

l Maximus l
02-15-2002, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by GokuX
I think in general the game market is in a lull. The PS2 has some good ones, but just look at the long line of cruddy games that PS2 owners had to wait through to get to the good games now. The same will hold true for the Xbox and GC. They both have good ones like HALO, and RL, and I'm sure most will agree a much better launch line up than the PS2 could muster. It's a matter of time that's all. If ure impatient then U'll likely just sell off your Xbox, but to have not considered that this slowdown and wait would occur is neglegence on the part of the consumer. I made the purchase knowing full well there'd be dry spots a long the way where there wouldn't be any games for months.

Great point, GokuX! If you ask me, if it's true that we are in a dry spot, it's all good...I have 10 games in only 3 months! I have a lot of playing to do! I've never bought that many games in such a short amount of time....

The next game I know I am buying is Hunter: The Reckoning...and the timing for that game's launch should be just right :)

Woocifer
02-15-2002, 04:39 PM
The way I see it, if they would just take the time to sit down and think about what games are to people. Okay checkers the point of the game is to win by hopping over other peoples men and being the last one left.

That is basically how they are approaching games still. Instead of looking at the encapsulated game, think about outside of the task.

Grand Theft Auto 3 is an amazing game because its so fun...why? Because of the unlimited things you can do. You can drive around a city, you can get out of your car, you can beat someone...you can drive boats...I think you can drive a plane, er fly one...there is variety in what can happen, what you can do and what you can use in this little world they made.

The additional little bits make a game so much more. Like with Raw...imagine if you could grab someone from the audience and throw them in the ring...it wouldnt happen, but its little things like that that can make a game so much more fun. Put more experiemental explorational things in a game...

Imagine being able to argue calls in sports games, and getting kicked out of the game, and then throwing things on the field, rink or court...or even better, say Virtua Tennis...arguing a call...and then given the chance to respond how you want, like chasing the linesman or ball boys around with your raquette and getting banned and put in jail...it sounds goofy, but add 100 scenario possibilities(as tiny as that) into a game and people will think its great because its not the same thing over and over again.

That is basically one of the probs I know...or you might not think so.... but I believe that open ended experimenting in video games prolong their life. We need constant change in a game to keep it going, which is why sports games(though the same concept every time) are always long in gameplay...its different EVERYTIME.

K...gotta go :)

FuNkY mOnK
02-15-2002, 04:57 PM
Unfortunately, quantity outnumbers quality. But all hope is not lost, take wreckless for instance, you can almost drive anywhere, the possibility is there. One day you’ll be able to drive off an exit to an airport take a plane land it somewhere else in the states, steel a car drive in that city and find out you’re wanted for steeling a plane prior. Than hide out in some hotel and watch the news on TV. Then go to your room only to be interrupted by the police. Flee out the window across the ledge; down to the streets, steel another car take a hooker for the ride, or get a job fall in love get married have kids…………nah I’ll steel the car with the hooker.