PDA

View Full Version : $60 Next Gen Games

faceoff508
05-06-2005, 02:00 PM
I have heard that the games will be 60 dollars. And the reason is this: the speacil edition videogames, that were 5 dollars more, was an experiment by companies if the gamer would give more money for a little extra. The results were yes, and so they will price at 60, cause they know people will still buy it.

More money into corprate hands.

SamSmith
05-06-2005, 03:01 PM
lucky americans!! in europe we pay that much for current gen games!! i hate this PAL NTSC thing... if it werent for it id import my games all from the US

RockTheCasba
05-06-2005, 04:01 PM
I have heard that the games will be 60 dollars. And the reason is this: the speacil edition videogames, that were 5 dollars more, was an experiment by companies if the gamer would give more money for a little extra. The results were yes, and so they will price at 60, cause they know people will still buy it.

More money into corprate hands.

get over it. games are going to be worth 60 dollars on the next gen systems

m4oH
05-06-2005, 04:05 PM
What else is new? I bet if they charged 70 bucks for halo 2 before it was released. Alot of people would have still bought it. me not being one.

LynxFX
05-06-2005, 04:30 PM
$50 is my cap and I'll rarely buy a game for that. Hell, I even got that supposed $55 collector's edition games such as Halo2 on release day for $40. So as long as stores keep having release week sales I'm not worried but I'll never pay retail above $50. No game has been worth more than that.

AlphaRaptor
05-06-2005, 06:24 PM
Didn't N64 games cost $80 new back in 1996? People still bought them...

MXracer721
05-06-2005, 06:25 PM
$50 is my cap and I'll rarely buy a game for that. Hell, I even got that supposed $55 collector's edition games such as Halo2 on release day for $40. So as long as stores keep having release week sales I'm not worried but I'll never pay retail above $50. No game has been worth more than that.
that all depends. i would have paid 60 for halo2 and i would have prolly paid way more than that for MX vs ATV Unleashed. it just all depends on the game, i rarely ever buy a game for 50 bucks but these two are the exceptions. There are only certain games i would pay 50 bucks for. Hopefully with games being more expensive this will actually help the consumers....think about it, if they are askin 60 bucks a game, u will be less likely to buy a game on impulse. so instead maybe u rent it to see if u like it. then u buy only the games worth the 60 bucks instead of wasting it on a game that looks sweet but sucks. but this could also make piracy worse.

Yankeez
05-06-2005, 06:37 PM
Stores put games on sale when they come out now anyways so no big deal

X-Fan
05-06-2005, 06:39 PM
no u pyscho it was 38.38.also i am putting ls2b in the dvd player now if i dont like it trust me watch ur back!
btw i dont really care 60 isnt all that much.

LynxFX
05-06-2005, 07:38 PM
no u pyscho it was 38.38.also i am putting ls2b in the dvd player now if i dont like it trust me watch ur back!
That's right, even cheaper. ;)

LTM360
05-06-2005, 09:10 PM
Didn't N64 games cost $80 new back in 1996? People still bought them...

Many were $59.99 and I think very few were $69.99. I think the cartidge media format was the cause for that, and uh.... I don't think it helped at all. Ocarina of Time, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, and like Majora's Mask were the only games that really sold well before the prices drop to "players choice" for $29.95. N64 games were the biggest ripoffs on the market. I'm not paying over $50 for a retail game.

Nurb
05-06-2005, 09:42 PM
I guaran-damn-tee you that there will be a spike in piracy once it happens, and followed by a drop in rate of purchase since parents are the source for much of the games purchased. But they'll whine about pirates cutting into their profits and then hit up congress to go after 12 year old kids again. There's no excuse for games being that expensive and I certianly won't pay above $50. Greedy companies are going to kill the industry.

DemonLoki
05-06-2005, 11:35 PM
get over it. games are going to be worth 60 dollars on the next gen systems
many games will actually suck- MOST games will be mediocre- I guess in terms of technology they should be more 'advanced' but that doesnt equate to quality.

Would you justify Pulse Racer costing more than Zelda OoT because its a next gen?

vman
05-06-2005, 11:41 PM
stop complaining about prices, the games arent even out yet, and you could always get it used for less and there will always be price drops and sales.

StudioAlex
05-07-2005, 01:02 AM
If you don't like it, don't buy the product. Corporations have the right to charge a million dollars for the games. You have the right to decide what your money is worth. None of the above makes it ok for people to pirate software.

This lesson in reality brought to you by StudioAlex.

Shadow20002
05-07-2005, 02:25 PM
60 US mean near 100 CAN? Time to modded...lol

mrmp3
05-07-2005, 02:50 PM
Price drops occurs much faster when people don't buy games. So just don't buy'em. Rent'em first. I've heard a lot of "yea but what if i really like the game, i'll just have wasted $6-$8". Technically you will have, but the chances of you likeing a game that much are very slim. Much of the time you'll go "man i'm glad i rented that before i bought it".

As for piracy, if it's simple, piracy will win. Look at Dreamcast. My brother got me a Shenmue II ripped copy off the internet and got it to work in like a week on my totally untouched and unmodded Dreamcast. The idea of opening a system up and playing with wires and such is a turn off to many people. But if you make it simple like burning Dreamcast games or make it like the PS2 HDLoader people are gonna flock to it like flies on s*it especially if there's a spike in prices for games.

As for N64 games, yea Goldeneye was $70 when it came out and an even more expensive game was Street Fighter II: Championship Edition for Sega Genesis, my friend payed almost $80 for that one.

faceoff508
05-07-2005, 09:17 PM
many games will actually suck- MOST games will be mediocre- I guess in terms of technology they should be more 'advanced' but that doesnt equate to quality.

Would you justify Pulse Racer costing more than Zelda OoT because its a next gen?

The mag says, unknown games,might sell for 50 to 60 bucks. And the powerhouses (Halo 3, GTA etc) might sell for 70 t0 80.

They don't know yet. They might even sell it to the consumer for 40 bucks, and force them to pay for extras through Xbox Live. Like say if you want a gun, or a new map, you can buy it off of XBL. Then some people will pay over 100 dollars that way. The companies don;t know yet. Only god knows.

Nurb
05-08-2005, 05:12 AM
If you don't like it, don't buy the product. Corporations have the right to charge a million dollars for the games. You have the right to decide what your money is worth. None of the above makes it ok for people to pirate software.

This lesson in reality brought to you by StudioAlex.
I don't think anyone said its ok, just that it will cause and explain it. It won't take a rocket scientist to know the CEO's will go ape **** when they have to settle for plating their private jets gold instead of platinum after their price hikes spurn a backlash of piracy and snarling from the masses. I'm sure folks will settle down and quietly shell out the cash eventually, hell, it worked for gas prices... remember when there were protests and boycotts over 1.65 per gallon?

nirvana563
05-08-2005, 06:48 PM
Companys are like drug dealers.

Nameless
05-08-2005, 07:04 PM
I pay around $60 now anyway, so stfu.

GuiltySpark
05-08-2005, 09:56 PM
Companys are like drug dealers.

Oh....

Eh, $60... eh...

dirtfan101
05-09-2005, 01:06 AM
You guys are complaining way too much about it. Most games have been the same price for generations, so if you factor in inflation we are actually paying alot less for games then we used to. I paid $80 for Super Mario Bros 3 when it came out in the 80s. That would have been well over $100 buy todays standards. So get a job and just buy the games.

LynxFX
05-09-2005, 02:54 AM
Funny, I paid $40 for SMB 3 when it came out. Inflation doesn't happen overnight. They will be pushing it with $60 if that's what they go to. If they go any higher, the bottom will fall out of the gaming industry which has been having consecutive record years as of late.

Nurb
05-09-2005, 02:58 AM
since the mid 90's, inflation hasn't gone beyond some loose change. no way it would raise the cost of an item 50 bucks in that time, we'd be paying 10 bucks for a gallon of milk

Tony_Macaroni
05-09-2005, 09:06 AM
I dont know wut u guys are complaining about .... the games down here for the current gen. games (im in Canada) are about $69.99 already! So I'll be paying just under $100.00 for the next-gen...Though i'm not going to complain...games have always been an expense for me due to my tender age of 15, I'm still gonna buy the good ones.