PDA

View Full Version : Is RARE studios finally paying off?

CharlieHustle
05-13-2005, 07:35 AM
Okay, okay, we all saw the mtv special, im not the one to drool over the 360 hype, im more than sure that someone else has beat me to it. What did impress me is the showing of Perfect Dark Zero. The game looked beautiful, even in motion. The scene which is still fresh in my memory was when the character was running through the subway shooting the gun and the lighting effect was gorgeous. I was kinda sad that Joanna Dark is gonna be the flagship mascot instead of the Master Chief. But now thats not a bad decision, the more household names, the better for the system(aint that right dreamcast?) Also, they can hold their ace of spades for the ps3 release.
So is this what MS was planning from the beginning, for Rare to be the forefront developer of the next generation console? Also what else do rare have up its sleeve for the 360, outside of the PDZ game? Now do you think they were worth the purchace of i think 250 or 350 mil?

faceoff508
05-13-2005, 01:09 PM
Only time will tell, they don't have Halo to launch, so this should fill in nicely. Hupefully.

StudioAlex
05-13-2005, 04:35 PM
I don't think Rare has payed off yet and I'm not confident about the immediate future.

Tony_Macaroni
05-15-2005, 09:19 PM
I don't think Rare has payed off yet and I'm not confident about the immediate future.
Couldn't have set it better myself... :cool:

Anthony4sho
05-15-2005, 09:52 PM
Rare will pay off when their games start paying off.

Nurb
05-16-2005, 03:04 AM
seems the nintendo fanboys were right, killing RARE was as easy as being purchased by MS

Spaztic
05-16-2005, 11:36 AM
seems the nintendo fanboys were right, killing RARE was as easy as being purchased by MS

thats a stupid thought....

AlphaRaptor
05-16-2005, 11:57 AM
thats a stupid thought....
Agree....

LiquidX
05-16-2005, 02:22 PM
Hopefully the reason behind Rare's lack of AAA titles recently is due to them working hard on PD0. The first PD was a great game, I loved it, still have it. I just hope X360 is gonna be known for more than its first person shooters.

OC Noob
05-29-2005, 12:38 PM
Agree....

Double agree.

They have only released 1 game so I think its too early to discount them yet.

I think once Conker's is out we'll have our first Rare gem. The multiplayer will be key, but throwing in a remake of the original N64 game is just that much better.

PD0 looks pretty sweet too from what we've seen. With those sweet gfx and 50+ players on the screen at once, you know its BS that people claim the 360 isn't much of an upgrade from the original.

Its another wait and see I guess, but I wouldn't say they are a bust just because of Grabbed by the Ghoulies sucked.

SoundX
05-30-2005, 04:43 AM
They’ve disappointed greatly on this generation, two games, and one most Xbox gamers have never even heard of and one game - a marginally successful remake with added Live content.

I don’t know, I thought Nintendo were mad to sell Rare but when you look at what they’ve achieved over the last couple of years. I don’t think Nintendo fans are really missing out on much at all.

Hopefully the next generation will be much better for Rare, two strong launch titles is a damn good start. But they better not disappoint if Microsoft are calling them their killer launch apps.

OC Noob
06-01-2005, 12:19 AM
They’ve disappointed greatly on this generation, two games, and one most Xbox gamers have never even heard of and one game - a marginally successful remake with added Live content.

I don’t know, I thought Nintendo were mad to sell Rare but when you look at what they’ve achieved over the last couple of years. I don’t think Nintendo fans are really missing out on much at all.

Hopefully the next generation will be much better for Rare, two strong launch titles is a damn good start. But they better not disappoint if Microsoft are calling them their killer launch apps.

Yeah, marginal sucess is pretty good considering its not out yet.

TheCovenant
06-01-2005, 12:25 AM
what two games i he talking about...? gbtg was one, what was the other one no ones heard of?

and we'll wait and see what conkers is like, but a little birdie told me its great so far, and he's not that far into the single player yet ;)

OC Noob
06-01-2005, 12:48 AM
what two games i he talking about...? gbtg was one, what was the other one no ones heard of?

and we'll wait and see what conkers is like, but a little birdie told me its great so far, and he's not that far into the single player yet ;)

I think he is talking about Conkers, which shows how well he knows whats going on with Rare, lol.

Either that or I'm a complete fool and forgot about a second title from Rare on the Xbox, lol.

MasterThief
06-07-2005, 08:17 PM
Rare is a waste of money!!! Most of the team behind the masterpieces that were GoldenEye and Perfect Dark are most likely long gone by now. I'm not gonna be expecting anything as close to the product that was PD but I wont completely shut them out. With their last gaming project(Grabbed By Goullies) being so gabbage I wont be one of the ppl who hop on the hype train as soon it leaves the station.

Shadow20002
06-07-2005, 08:44 PM
Just wait for Perfect Dark Zero to come out and we will see if this compagny are still the best for making great games.

skorp
06-08-2005, 08:30 PM
I guess we'll see... But so far I most definitely be getting 3 of their games...

Conker, PDZ and Kameo...

OC Noob
06-09-2005, 12:27 AM
I guess we'll see... But so far I most definitely be getting 3 of their games...

Conker, PDZ and Kameo...

Yeah, at this point all three look amazing.

Kameo really has me excited.

mrmp3
06-13-2005, 08:44 PM
Yeah, at this point all three look amazing.

Kameo really has me excited.

Though I did see a screenshot with what appeared to be at least 500 enemies, it impressed me the least. Grabbed by the Ghoulies was...to say the least a mistake. One thing I don't like Conker's is because it wasn't a blockbuster hit, people who did play the original are stuck with the original storyline. For those who are convinced that there's tons of new single player content are in for a shock cuz from what everyone has said, it's the same as the N64 version if not less. I kinda wanna see the story continue. Regardless XBL should be loads of fun.

How can you even say has Rare payed off? They've been talking about PD0 and Kameo since the company was first acquired, you know those have been worked on for an enternity and excluding Grabbed by the Ghoulies, they have a great track record as far back as the SNES along with N64 classics like DK64, Jet Force Gemini, Perfect Dark, Conker's: BFD, and of course, Goldeneye. Microsoft was thinking about Rare for the future not the present which technically is a good thing since Rare takes forever to make their games, but all of a sudden back tracking and having them make their titles available for launch does concern me. One thing Rare is notorious for is they really don't meet release date deadlines. I'm hoping that doesn't hinder the quality of the game, but from what I've seen thus far, not too concerned. :)

OC Noob
06-14-2005, 01:15 AM
Though I did see a screenshot with what appeared to be at least 500 enemies, it impressed me the least. Grabbed by the Ghoulies was...to say the least a mistake. One thing I don't like Conker's is because it wasn't a blockbuster hit, people who did play the original are stuck with the original storyline. For those who are convinced that there's tons of new single player content are in for a shock cuz from what everyone has said, it's the same as the N64 version if not less. I kinda wanna see the story continue. Regardless XBL should be loads of fun.

How can you even say has Rare payed off? They've been talking about PD0 and Kameo since the company was first acquired, you know those have been worked on for an enternity and excluding Grabbed by the Ghoulies, they have a great track record as far back as the SNES along with N64 classics like DK64, Jet Force Gemini, Perfect Dark, Conker's: BFD, and of course, Goldeneye. Microsoft was thinking about Rare for the future not the present which technically is a good thing since Rare takes forever to make their games, but all of a sudden back tracking and having them make their titles available for launch does concern me. One thing Rare is notorious for is they really don't meet release date deadlines. I'm hoping that doesn't hinder the quality of the game, but from what I've seen thus far, not too concerned. :)

Check out the Kameo video, itmuch more than that screen shot shows. If all you've seen is that screen shot, I don't blame you for not being impressed. Heck, it probably looks like a RTS or something from that.

I would have to disagree about Conkers not being a blockbuster hit. Its pretty much a household name, got killer reviews and if sales figures weren't great (couldn't find any) I'd probably blame that on a dying system that was poorly concieved and never caught on.

You're right, this isn't a new single player game, whats the meat and potatos of this game is the online combat. Rare isn't sending mixed signals in that regard.

Also, I wouldn't say they have payed off, far from it. I believe its too early to say they are a bust though. If they come through with 3 killer near launch titles on this new system (if) they will be worth the cash and then some. Rare has a huge following and if they have a few hits its going to be a huge boon for the 360 before the PS3 is even out of the starting gates.

If Rare quit making games today I'd agree that they are a bust, but they still have ample opertunity to pay off.

spike spiegel
06-16-2005, 04:44 PM
Really every game the company has ever made has been great. Grapped by The Ghoulies was good to, but obviously was ment for a younger audience, and was most likely planned for the Game Cube. The other games that are coming out such as Conker and the 360 titles looks extremelt promising. In fact I can almost curtainly say that they will all be AAA titles.