PDA

View Full Version : HALO online connection

bigcurty
02-15-2002, 08:22 AM
I was wondering would a 10/100 ethernet hub work good enough for me to play Halo over the network??

Chaotic
02-15-2002, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by bigcurty
I was wondering would a 10/100 ethernet hub work good enough for me to play Halo over the network??

It would work , but i would recommend using a swtich so you get 100% bandwidth to your port.

XBOXgamer13
02-15-2002, 09:39 AM
try it, it will work

l Maximus l
02-15-2002, 01:44 PM
A 10/100 HUB will definatley work. But, as TheMentorsXBox stated, a Switch is actually better because it provides 100% bandwidth to all port synchronously, whereas a HUB shares 100% bandwidth amongst all the ports. In other words, if you have a 4 port Hub and you are using all the ports, you will only receive 25% bandwidth to each port.

I ended up buying the Linksys 10/100 Workgroup Switch. I like it...it works great! Just make sure you get on-line and play Halo! I need more victims to kill!! :D

Hugh_Jass
02-15-2002, 03:14 PM
Considering that XBOX is designed to be played over broadband connections (which is usually defined as 256K down / 128K up or greater) a 10Mbps hub is plenty...unless you plan to run more than 39 users per hub.

pounder
02-18-2002, 03:27 AM
first off hello to all..im a new xbox user..

ok..i wasnt aware that we could play xbox online yet..but i looked around your forum, and people are saying they play online..what the hell.. lol how do i do this? and when did it start..thanx for any info..later

pounder
02-18-2002, 04:37 AM
ok upon further reading i get how to do this..nowi need a cheap hub..all the ones i see have twisted pair connections?? now what is that? are they the little attachments that make the network cable this at the one end? and is this a good hub http://www.staples.ca/products/catalog/skuset.asp?skusetid=10060&first=471432&SuperCategoryId=3 ..but it needs those twisted end things..man this is gonna be expensive to set up..one more question..is the xboxfootball site the only one with a server we canb use..or are there other IP addresses we can play halo at? thanx

Hugh_Jass
02-18-2002, 11:22 AM
You can use standard CAT5 cables.
Any hub should suffice. I'd get the cheapest one you can find.

l Maximus l
02-18-2002, 11:51 AM
To play Halo on-line, you need to first have a Broadband modem (cable, DSL, etc).

Second requirement, you need a HUB or a Switch.

Final requirement, you need a total of three standard CAT 5 cables. This is how you do it:

1. First, download Gamespy Arcade Software and Gamespy Tunnel Software from www.gamespy.com . It's free.

2. From your Broadband Modem, connect a standard CAT 5 cable into the uplink port on the HUB (or Switch).

3. From port 1, connect a second CAT 5 cable into the ethernet port on your CPU (it's the only input on the back of your computer that it will fit into, if you are confused)

4. From Port 2, connect the final CAT 5 cable into it and the other end into your XBox.

NOTE: It doesn't matter which ports you use to connect the HUB (or Switch) to your computer or XBox, however, I just mentioned ports 1 & 2 to make it sound easy for anyone that may be new to this).

When you play Halo, you need to select "Multi-player" on the menu screen and select System Link. Select your character and you are in action! It's basically like playing a System Link game (LAN), however, you are playing people around the world instead of your living room :)

It's critical to select challengers that have a low ping. If you are not sure what it is, you will see a number followed by "ms"...anything under 150 should work fine. Ask me any questions if you are having trouble :)

pounder
02-18-2002, 12:43 PM
hey thanx man for the info..you confirmed what my thoughts were on the subject..now i just need the hub..but i am wondering if their are people that are on this server always? or only sometimes..and are there other servers? thanx

LynxFX
02-18-2002, 12:51 PM
Now there are always at least 200 people on these servers(game spy's) at all times and most of the time it goes up to 500 people. The problem is finding good servers with low pings and no lag.

The other option is to forget Gamespy and go the linux route with http://www.xboxgw.com/ which is the other way to game online. It isn't as user friendly though.

It is a blast though.

l Maximus l
02-18-2002, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by pounder
hey thanx man for the info..you confirmed what my thoughts were on the subject..now i just need the hub..but i am wondering if their are people that are on this server always? or only sometimes..and are there other servers? thanx

I have noticed, as Lynxfx said, that there are always around 450 or more in the evening times. Even at 3 or 4 am, there are about 150+ hardcore dudes on-line (hardcore, meaning = d a m n!! That's late!!!) So, there's always people on-line.

As Lynxfx stated already, it's critical to find people that have a low ping...preferably under 150ms. If you only have Broadband Cable or DSL, I strongly recommend only bringing on two other XBoxes, therefore totalling 3 total XBoxes (which obviously includes yourself). Remember, you can have up to four players on your XBox.

If you have more than 4 people and you have an additional TV and XBox (let's say a buddy also owns an XBox), simply connect a second XBox into one of the available ports on the HUB. This way, you have two local XBoxes, which will have a 0-1ms (ping), which is awesome and you can add two others through Gamespy and get a battle royal going :D

One thing is for sure, any more than 12 players duking it out is almost too much...even on Sidewinder or Bloodgulch...but, it's a blood bath!! :D

Just GET ON-LINE!! :D

Toder
02-18-2002, 01:32 PM
ahhh all this talk about online gaming is making me mad. I live out in the country and can't get a decent dsl line. i could get a satellite connection but there just not good for gaming. guess i'll have to wait until i move to the big city in the summer. ahhh it isn't fair. :confused:

pounder
02-18-2002, 01:45 PM
ahh maximus thats great to hear..my gf loves to play with me..so we will be online line tomorrow..or maybe itll be just me..im going to get the hub tomorrow i hope..and all my software is set up on my pc..thats amazing you can play online..i had no idea until i came on these boards..and to think people prefer the ps2 to this thing hehe :p

Toder
02-18-2002, 02:01 PM
Sweet!!! i just talked to my friend and he has a cable modem and he is going to let me hook up my xbox to it tonight. my gamespy id is toder and i'll be looking to frag some of you tonight. :cool:

Xtopia
02-18-2002, 02:11 PM
Sweet!!! i just talked to my friend and he has a cable modem and he is going to let me hook up my xbox to it tonight. my gamespy id is toder and i'll be looking to frag some of you tonight.

Cool, very cool! I've been playing online also it is truly AWESOME! However I recomend you ad a [XBA]-tag to your gamespy Id. For example, [XBA]-gamespyid. And then add that to your sig. (See, look at mine! ):D

Toder
02-18-2002, 02:24 PM
However I recomend you ad a [XBA]-tag to your gamespy Id. For example, [XBA]-gamespyid. And then add that to your sig. (See, look at mine!

Thanks xtopia i'll do that.

Xtopia
02-18-2002, 02:31 PM
No prob! However that was not my idea :mad: I think Maximus got that idea from maneatingcow...but im not sure:confused:

thunderkiss2k1
02-18-2002, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Maximus
A 10/100 HUB will definatley work. But, as TheMentorsXBox stated, a Switch is actually better because it provides 100% bandwidth to all port synchronously, whereas a HUB shares 100% bandwidth amongst all the ports. In other words, if you have a 4 port Hub and you are using all the ports, you will only receive 25% bandwidth to each port.

I ended up buying the Linksys 10/100 Workgroup Switch. I like it...it works great! Just make sure you get on-line and play Halo! I need more victims to kill!! :D

Maximus, I am sooo freakin dumb! the other day when I asked about using a usb dsl modem with my xbox? Well, it turns out that my hp has an ethernet card already installed. So I will be able to play xbox online after all.

l Maximus l
02-18-2002, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by thunderkiss2k1

Maximus, I am sooo freakin dumb! the other day when I asked about using a usb dsl modem with my xbox? Well, it turns out that my hp has an ethernet card already installed. So I will be able to play xbox online after all.

Dude! Get your ass on-line, then, man!! :D That's great news! Look me up...my Gamespy ID is on the bottom of my siggy :D

fear_this
02-18-2002, 03:39 PM
Hook the x-box up to your computer so you can play Halo online at gamespy. i`m extremely lost.

Azazel
02-18-2002, 04:03 PM
start by reading the 50 threads we already have on it. That will be a great start.:confused: :confused:

l Maximus l
02-18-2002, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by fear_this
Hook the x-box up to your computer so you can play Halo online at gamespy. i`m extremely lost.

Here I go again...but, no problem! :D

These are your requirements:

1. Broadband Modem (Cable, DSL, etc)
2. HUB or Switch (Switch recommended, in my opinion)
3. 3 standard CAT 5 cables (not crossovers)
4. Download the free software called "Gamespy Tunnel Software" and "Gamespy Arcade Software" by simply going to www.gamespy.com

Here's how the hook up works:

1. From your broadband modem, connect the first CAT 5 cable from it and plug the other end into the port on the HUB (or Switch) marked "Uplink"

2. From Port 1 - plug a second CAT 5 cable into it and plug the other end of the cable into the back of your computer (Ethernet port is what it's called)

3. From Port 2 - plug the final CAT 5 cable into it and plug the other end into your XBox.

4. Download the free software and you're set!

NOTE: If you get a Switch instead of a HUB, and if you want to host your own game on Gamespy, you might have to disable the firewall on the Switch. To do this, simply go into the Internet options on your computer and go to the Advanced Tab. Simply enable it by unchecking the box and hit okay.

Also NOTE: It doesn't matter which ports you use to connect with your XBox and your computer, as long as it's not the uplink port. But, I just said ports 1 & 2 to make it more simple to explain.

Hope that helps! Write back if you need any more help!!!

l Maximus l
02-18-2002, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by ty818
start by reading the 50 threads we already have on it. That will be a great start.:confused: :confused:

Hey, Ty! That was fun playing last night against you :) You are improving a lot! It was funny that you and I both had a "ball in chain" for our team-mates! hehe...we should team up...I bet we could be a great team!

l Maximus l
02-18-2002, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Toder
Sweet!!! i just talked to my friend and he has a cable modem and he is going to let me hook up my xbox to it tonight. my gamespy id is toder and i'll be looking to frag some of you tonight. :cool:

hehe, Toder...it will be awesome! But, I must warn you, there are some bad ass players on gamespy! I remember talking a lot of trash when I first went on...and, after I did it, I got my ass handed in a sling! Playing on Gamespy improves your Halo abilities 10 times! You'll see!

If you like Halo now, wait until you play it on-line! There's nothing like it!!! :D

fear_this
02-18-2002, 04:13 PM
Hey thanks maximus, i lost the thread where i asked that before. Your a great help. :cool:

pounder
02-18-2002, 04:14 PM
does anyone know if this hub is good to use? its fairly cheap and is switchable..thanx
http://www.shipitforyou.com/cgi-bin/sgin0105.exe?TRAN85=Y&GENP=T1=D100+1124&FNM=74&UID=2002021814115099

l Maximus l
02-18-2002, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by pounder
does anyone know if this hub is good to use? its fairly cheap and is switchable..thanx
http://www.shipitforyou.com/cgi-bin/sgin0105.exe?TRAN85=Y&GENP=T1=D100+1124&FNM=74&UID=2002021814115099

Dude, no problem...that will work :)