PDA

View Full Version : Xbox weak point

Liquid Gears
05-16-2005, 05:54 PM
What percent of all XBOX games are first person shooters? Ever think of that. I betcha almost 50% are. That is xbox's weakness is. They can't think of anything else to make. Tell me this. How many games have you seen for the XBOX 360 are first person shooters? Almost half. How many of the big game titles for xbox where FPS? How many of the big game titles for PS2 where FPS?

Not everyone are fans of first person shooters, especially for Xbox Live.

If somebody reading this knows someone personally from xbox, I think they should mention this subject to them. I bet a lot of Xbox owners out there are going to get a Playstation 3 instead because of reasons like this. Also because of all the negative language, attitudes, clitchers, and all the cheaters on Xbox Live.

BTW: If you ask me, I would remove scoreboards completely. Cause they take the fun right out of the games. No one would be trying to cheat and if they where they would be doing it for nothing. Eg. StarWars Battlefront (great game, not to great graphics, a little too chopy, but very fun cause it had no scoreboards)

Trust me nothing gonna change for the X360. nothing.

C ya xbox, nice knowin ya.

X-Fan
05-16-2005, 05:59 PM
What percent of all XBOX games are first person shooters? Ever think of that. I betcha almost 50% are. That is xbox's weakness is. They can't think of anything else to make. Tell me this. How many games have you seen for the XBOX 360 are first person shooters? Almost half. How many of the big game titles for xbox where FPS? How many of the big game titles for PS2 where FPS?

If somebody reading this knows someone personally from xbox, I think they should mention this subject to them. I bet a lot of Xbox owners out there are going to get a Playstation 3 instead because of reasons like this. Also because of all the negative language, attitudes, clitchers, and all the cheaters on Xbox Live.

BTW: If you ask me, I would remove scoreboards completely. Cause they take the fun right out of the games. No one would be trying to cheat and if they where they would be doing it for nothing. Eg. StarWars Battlefront (great game, not to great graphics, a little too chopy, but very fun cause it had no scoreboards)

hey bro welcome back man. have not seen you in a while. xbox has always been targeted for the hardcore gamers but ms is trying ti get more out for the casual gamers as well. dont loe your faith just yet. wait and watch my man, THE 360 will roxxorz yer boxxorz.

MixMasta
05-16-2005, 06:01 PM
What up LG, haven't seen you in a while.

Anyways, you have a point, but with this Square Enix rumor floating around, things look good for more RPGs on the Xbox 360.

IMO, this are the the five must have titles so far that have been annouced...

-Halo 3
-Perfect Dark 0
-Project Gotham 3
-Kameo
-Elders Scrolls IV: Oblivion

That is a pretty good mix of games IMO...2 FPS, 1 racing, 2 rpgs (well, Kameo...I don't know if that actually is an RPG, but it is adventure.)

LiquidX
05-16-2005, 06:03 PM
Wow, its Liquid Gears. Have you been around much? I havent seen you in forever. I remember that old Metal Arms and Halo 2 themed sig you made me. It was pretty sweet :D.

Anyways, the amount of FPS games is a concern for me too with the 360. MS will never fully reach the Japanese market with so many western style games. Im not really a fan of RPG's or many eastern style games but it is refreshing to play something that doesnt have constant explosions.

As for the people on XBL, there will always be those who will curse/cheat/glitch. Its part of the territory. You just have to mute and report them. Enough people do that and theyre gone. Scoreboards arent going away either. Most gamers like seeing how they compare. Some dont care and just play for fun, these are the ones you want on your friends list.

Liquid Gears
05-16-2005, 06:10 PM
[QUOTE=MixMasta-XBA]
IMO, this are the the five must have titles so far that have been annouced...

-Halo 3
-Perfect Dark 0
-Project Gotham 3
-Kameo
-Elders Scrolls IV: Oblivion
QUOTE]

What up what up homes, how things round here?

I'm not sure about launch games, but there's these too:
-Quake IV
-Unreal Tournament 2007
-Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon 3
-Turok Next
-Gears of War
-Call of Duty 2
-Prey
-Splinter Cell 4

Kraft
05-16-2005, 06:23 PM
[QUOTE=MixMasta-XBA]
I'm not sure about launch games, but there's these too:
-Quake IV
-Unreal Tournament 2007
-Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon 3
-Turok Next
-Gears of War
-Call of Duty 2
-Prey
-Splinter Cell 4

Notice those are all sequels to VERY high selling games. People seem to want FPSs at the moment and MS is delivering it to them. Others are right, though, there is a good mix of games in the launch lineup. The reason you see so many FPS's is because that is what people seem to want.

Liquid Gears
05-16-2005, 06:33 PM
[QUOTE=Liquid Gears]

Notice those are all sequels to VERY high selling games. People seem to want FPSs at the moment and MS is delivering it to them. Others are right, though, there is a good mix of games in the launch lineup. The reason you see so many FPS's is because that is what people seem to want.

And this is what is leading Xbox to disaster in the future. Soon people will start to notice the repition of the games xbox puts out and get really tired of it.

You'll see...

Oh yes..

you'll see... :hump:

What's with the people in north america having the urge to fire a weapon. You people need help. Geezlouise

Yellowlab
05-16-2005, 06:44 PM
What percent of all XBOX games are first person shooters? Ever think of that. I betcha almost 50% are. That is xbox's weakness is. They can't think of anything else to make.

It's not even close to 50%! There are over 150 racing games on the Xbox and over 150 sports titles alone (source gamefaqs.com). Not to mention the RPG's, strategy, and 3rd person action/adventure titles.

There is a minimum of 400 non-FPS games on the Xbox currently. There's not more than 50 FPS'ers (12% at the max).

If I were knocking the Xbox on game selection, it would NOT be that there are too many FPS'ers (there is no such thing as too many!). It would be that there are not enough good platformers or RPG's. Platformers don't sell as well as they used to, but MS could use a platformer of the calibur of Ratchet and Clank. And, while they made great strides in RPG's with Fable and Jade Empire, they need to continue in this direction and deliver a franchise of the Final Fantasy calibur.

Kraft
05-16-2005, 07:42 PM
Umm... so when people get tired of FPS games, MS goes on to publish other games instead. It's supply and demand bud. MS hasn't cemented their console into an FPS only. Contrary to popular belief they could decide that the next 100 games are all puzzle games if they really felt like it.

lllSmokelll
05-16-2005, 08:09 PM
It's not even close to 50%! There are over 150 racing games on the Xbox and over 150 sports titles alone (source gamefaqs.com). Not to mention the RPG's, strategy, and 3rd person action/adventure titles.

people bash xbox for being all sports, racing and FPS'ers :yikes:

mattgame
05-16-2005, 09:26 PM
They need a little more variety. I think they also need more family oriented games. I still think they'll do extremely well.

vman
05-16-2005, 09:40 PM
its not that it has too many FPS's, its that it doesnt have enough of the other genres. XBOX was big of sports, racing, and FPS and now, I believe they are making the right moves to get into the RPG's. Sequels to Marrowind, Fable, Jade Empire, and KOTOR are only a few. Remember that MS recruited that guy from the FF series. He is in the works of making at least 2 rpgs that, i think, will be available at launch or probably close to it.

Liquid Gears
05-17-2005, 03:37 AM
They need a little more variety. I think they also need more family oriented games. I still think they'll do extremely well.

Agreed.

Who's this yellowlab?

skorp
05-17-2005, 08:00 AM
Yep, Final Fantasy XI...

Don't forget Fable2, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, and Ninety-Nine Nights so far...

Surprised and glad to see Square Enix join the bandwagon. Hey, if I were them or any other Game developing company, I wouldn't want to just wait for next year [Spring] to release some good next-gen game(s) just to watch competitors take a big piece of the pie for a good early part of the year!!

I want in! ;)

Yellowlab
05-17-2005, 10:02 AM
Who's this yellowlab?

That is such a deep philosophical question that I couldn't possibly fully answer.

But, if you'd like the simple answer, I am the sexy beast that has written over 100 reviews on this site in just over 3 years. I don't hang at the forums much as I'm simply too busy being sexy and writing reviews.

mattgame
05-17-2005, 10:10 AM
Oh and he is a sexy beast. ;)

Yellowlab
05-17-2005, 03:05 PM
Oh and he is a sexy beast. ;)

It takes one to know one! :hump: ;)

SilverOak
05-17-2005, 03:49 PM
someone throw some cold water on these two. :)

m4oH
05-17-2005, 03:53 PM
As yellow stated most games on xbox aren't FPS. Besides I wouldn't really care if they were, i love FPS!

Spaztic
05-18-2005, 11:05 AM
I think MS realized that then need more variety.

Castlevania and Final Fantasy should help the image.

mattgame
05-18-2005, 12:35 PM
Castlevania is coming to 360!!!?!?!?! Oh my God!!!

Ghost
05-18-2005, 12:39 PM
Castlevania sucked!

MerimacHamwich
05-18-2005, 02:53 PM
For that same logic, one could say that was PS2's downfall. It didn't have enough good FPS games.

But this thread is pretty moot now. What with the anouncement of Square Enix support and the two games being developed by Mistwalker studios, to compliment the great RPG's already on the Xbox.

It's all in where you look for the games too. If you look for the kind of game you want, I'm betting you'll find it. I haven't been stuck on finding a game I want on the XBox yet. Every type of genre I've tried to find, I've found.

mattgame
05-18-2005, 04:55 PM
What about the party games? I have a bunch of children and I need to make my wife think I'm letting them play sometimes.

odpr
05-21-2005, 08:13 AM

I live in Israel ,
I hate FPS!

Actually don't hate them that much but want more variety I mean, what is the difference between:
\
Doom? HALO? UNREAL? ghost recon ? Medal of honor?
I really can't understand how people don't see that they are exactly the same games..Exectly ...

You are so Right, and this is the reason I am going to by the new playstaiton probably..

you can also see what I wrote here ..

Xbox Addict Asylum - Xbox360 Vs PS3 Specs

you are right Most of the people around the workld HATE FPS!

Max33
05-21-2005, 08:38 AM
I'm gonna have to disagree about them being EXACTLY the same game,but I get youre point and would agree the the xbox could definetly use some more variety in its library.

Perhaps a repreave from the " dark and gritty " and get some more light hearted platformers or even somthing of the Katamari Damaicy variety.

Variation-XBA
05-22-2005, 10:19 PM
[QUOTE=Kraft]

Soon people will start to notice the repition of the games xbox puts out and get really tired of it.

Then how does Nintendo stay afloat? :P

OC Noob
05-29-2005, 11:11 AM
I live in Israel ,
I hate FPS!

Actually don't hate them that much but want more variety I mean, what is the difference between:
\
Doom? HALO? UNREAL? ghost recon ? Medal of honor?
I really can't understand how people don't see that they are exactly the same games..Exectly ...

You are so Right, and this is the reason I am going to by the new playstaiton probably..

you can also see what I wrote here ..

Xbox Addict Asylum - Xbox360 Vs PS3 Specs

you are right Most of the people around the workld HATE FPS!

No offenes, but this is your and LG's opinion and not representative of the world. As is the perception that all the Xbox has is FPSers. Its most popular games are FPSers and thats what gets the most attention, so games like Ninja Gaiden, Jade empire, Psychonauts, Crimson Skies, etc.. don't get the attention they deserve. Use Xboxers know how great they are, but non-Xboxers (including the ever present fanboyism in reviewers) automatically assume they suck. Those game, had they been released on the PS2 would have been mid nines to perfect 10's. Just look at God of War. Very cool game and very stylish, but no way its better than NG, but it gets all they hype and attention and tons of perfect 10 scores. Sometimes i wonder if these guys actually play the games or if they are just swept away in the hype and pretty blood splatters.

Anyway, tons of great titles get dismissed in non-Xbox circles due to ignorance (not knowing), so don't get caught up in the hype.

As for all FPSers beeing the same, its exactly the same with all genres if you haven't noticed. Whether its Final Fantesy or Legend of Zelda, its the same old dog, just with new tricks and a make over (gfx). Platforming, RPGs, sports titles, free roaming games (GTA) have changed very little since inception. Once in a while they are redefined by something like 3d gfx, but its still, jump puzzles and coin collecting for the most part in platformers, turn based combat with swords & boards in RPGs, etc...

FPSers get lots of attention on Xbox because they are so popular, but that doesn't mean thats all thats there. Maybe the superior dual analogs of the Xbox controller are the reason for their popularity on the system. GC and PS2 analogs stink and I for one refuse to play first person, third person, steath, GTA or any game where I need shooting accuracy on those systems if I don't have to (a la GTA:SA which I couldn't wait for or MGS). Before Xbox I would only play shooting games on the PC due to control issues, but the sensitivity of the Xbox analogs has won my over for may of those games. I still like the keyboard/mouse better, but MS has figured something out that Nintendo and Sony still haven't.

ps I hope Nintendo doesn't put a hexgonal box around their next main analog stick! What were they thinking?!?!?

odpr
05-30-2005, 11:34 AM
I do agree with what you say that actually the video games can be divided to three genres that simply recycle it self..
Poor thing.
But I do think that when inventing a game from third point of view more effort on stuff is taking into account for example
NG and splinter cell, they both third person but you have to agree with me that they are totally different ..

in other genres there is a difference (m maybe not big but there is a difference..
) in FPS all the game look exactly the same,
ICan take a screen shot from halo and from Doom, and you will have no Idea which one is which, and the game in the concept is the same, kill every one that move...again NG and splinter cell are totally different in the concept..

So I think u understand what I am saying..

MerimacHamwich
05-30-2005, 02:23 PM
Try me ODPR. I gaurantee I'll be able to tell the difference.

OC Noob
06-01-2005, 12:45 AM
I do agree with what you say that actually the video games can be divided to three genres that simply recycle it self..
Poor thing.
But I do think that when inventing a game from third point of view more effort on stuff is taking into account for example
NG and splinter cell, they both third person but you have to agree with me that they are totally different ..

in other genres there is a difference (m maybe not big but there is a difference..
) in FPS all the game look exactly the same,
ICan take a screen shot from halo and from Doom, and you will have no Idea which one is which, and the game in the concept is the same, kill every one that move...again NG and splinter cell are totally different in the concept..

So I think u understand what I am saying..

I see what you are saying. Although, comparins NG to SC is compairing two different genres with the same point of view. Sort of like DIII compared to Morrowind because they are both FP point of view.

I agree that there is more creativity in other genres due to the nature of FPSers, but Rainbow Six is different from Call of Duty is different from Unreal 2.

All games are repetitive and I would agree FPSers are more so than most genres, but to say they are all the same is unfair IMO.

ps I can easily tell DIII from H2, but being a tech geek I can tell the difference from gfx alone:)

TPGA
06-13-2005, 06:25 PM
I am not really a fan Of them either, but I did get into halo 2 even though. Any ideas how to change them?

DemonLoki
06-13-2005, 08:04 PM
1) Any games in the same genre are going to look similar- there are only so many ways to portray things-

2) I can tell the difference between EVERY fist person shooter I have EVER played.
That is like saying every third person game looks the same- Every racing game looks the same "Der, they all have cars in 'em" Sports, fighting, RPG too :rolleyes:

3)Ninga Gaiden and Splinter Cell are in different genre they ONLY share the same vantage point- NG is fast ACTION FIGHTING - SC is SLOW Steath/w/ very little action-

Sit down and play these games, there are plenty of differences-
The fist person idea stems from 'being' the character or seeing from their point of view- not controlling them like an RC car- and more realistic, more controllable, and enjoyable for me-

OC Noob
06-14-2005, 01:18 AM
1) Any games in the same genre are going to look similar- there are only so many ways to portray things-

2) I can tell the difference between EVERY fist person shooter I have EVER played.
That is like saying every third person game looks the same- Every racing game looks the same "Der, they all have cars in 'em" Sports, fighting, RPG too :rolleyes:

3)Ninga Gaiden and Splinter Cell are in different genre they ONLY share the same vantage point- NG is fast ACTION FIGHTING - SC is SLOW Steath/w/ very little action-

Sit down and play these games, there are plenty of differences-
The fist person idea stems from 'being' the character or seeing from their point of view- not controlling them like an RC car- and more realistic, more controllable, and enjoyable for me-

Speaking of more controlable, I really like the over the shoulder third person view of Gears of War. Its like taking the best from both points of view and combinding them.

TheCovenant
06-14-2005, 05:09 AM
what percent of microsoft published games are shooters? i can only think of one...

K3v1n
06-25-2005, 01:51 AM
true... very true... but i loved ninja gaiden.. only if they made more games like this..

Tony_Macaroni
06-25-2005, 11:55 PM

Well aren't u just a big meanie .... who pissed in ur cereal :confused: