PDA

View Full Version : 360 is Backwards compatible!!!

CharlieHustle
05-17-2005, 07:41 AM
Source is from ign's article in the e3 news conference. Click here (http://xbox.ign.com/articles/614/614899p1.html) Stating that the xbox 360 will be backwards compatible. I really didnt care about it being BC because i would be lookin to buying xbox2 games when i get an xbox360. MS does listen to their customers and i am very excited, first the hd will be included now it will be backward compatible, now i can trade in my xbox and not fret about the games that i still play. SWEEETTT..

lllusion
05-17-2005, 07:44 AM
Nice, things like this are good to hear.

Sammael
05-17-2005, 07:48 AM
with "top selling games" not all games.

Spaztic
05-17-2005, 08:10 AM
backward compatible = easy to hack

MXracer721
05-17-2005, 08:34 AM
with "top selling games" not all games.
exactly which has me scared because the game i play the most is MX vs. ATV Unleashed and i dont think its considered a "top selling game". i wanna see the list of games first, becuase i really wanna get rid of my xbox before gettin a 360......

CharlieHustle
05-17-2005, 10:20 AM
please explain how can the xbox2 differentiate between top selling games and regular game??? I would like to know. thats a waste of programming to tell a system which is top selling and which is not. right?

JediMasterChief
05-17-2005, 04:01 PM
Here's what MS could do:

Every few months, they could release these "emulation" discs and each one would update the Xbox 360 in order to play another...say 10 or maybe 20...original Xbox games.

MS already said that gamers will probably have to insert emulation discs or packs or whatever in order to play the original games.

Chewy
05-19-2005, 11:53 AM
Ok, maybe I am not understanding something here, but why do people care if it is backwards compatable?

If you own the games, then you own an Xbox. If you buy a 360, why should you care if you can play your original Xbox games on it? If you don't have enough inputs on your reciever or TV they you may have to buy an AV switch, but still, that is not a massive expense at all. Sorry, this is something I just don't understand.

MXracer721
05-19-2005, 12:31 PM
Ok, maybe I am not understanding something here, but why do people care if it is backwards compatable?

If you own the games, then you own an Xbox. If you buy a 360, why should you care if you can play your original Xbox games on it? If you don't have enough inputs on your reciever or TV they you may have to buy an AV switch, but still, that is not a massive expense at all. Sorry, this is something I just don't understand.
for me i want to trade my xbox in or sell it and most of my games. MOST of my games not all, i'll want to keep the ones i play the most like MX vs ATV and Halo2. The only reason i want backwards compatibility is to hold me over until i start gettin more and more games. For me its more important to have BC at first because after a few months i'll prolly never play a xbox 1 game hardly ever. I mean how many times has anyone played a ps1 game on a ps2....not many times. also with BC, if they can put it in as a feature why the hell not have it? ps3 will have it so xbox 360 should.

Max33
05-21-2005, 07:56 AM
Thompson drive...crapping out...need new system....

Highlite23
05-21-2005, 08:45 AM
It seems the basic out of the box idea is to have the 360 ship with the "Patch" needed for some of the top selling games already on the hard drive, now if the release of futue patches is true I'm not certain.

We have been keeping our ears to the grund to find more concrete explinations of the limited compatibilty.

What is certain is that you will not be able to just insert a regular Xbox game and run.

Max33
05-21-2005, 08:51 AM
It seems the basic out of the box idea is to have the 360 ship with the "Patch" needed for some of the top selling games already on the hard drive, now if the release of futue patches is true I'm not certain.

We have been keeping our ears to the grund to find more concrete explinations of the limited compatibilty.

What is certain is that you will not be able to just insert a regular Xbox game and run.

Yeah,and thats pretty gay,reducing the term " Backwards compatibility " into a catch phrase,dilutiong the true meaning.

If there were any truth in their marketing,the answer to the question would be " No...but you will be able to..."

Highlite23
05-21-2005, 08:53 AM
I suppoert MS, but thats a good point Max.

Tony_Macaroni
05-21-2005, 09:59 AM
Aww man im re-diappointed now...:cry:

OC Noob
05-22-2005, 02:54 AM

From a programing stand pint, that wouldn't make sense. You can't really patch a gmae thats not coded for your system.

What is more likely is that MS made an emulator and that it will support most games, but that they aren't going to guarentee support for every title ever made, because they don't want to spend a bunch of cash extensively testing a bunch of crap games. The load of crap games will most likely run just fine, but if there are a few that won't work perfectly with the emulator they don't want people giving them crap for it.

Hence, the inclusion of that disclaimer.

Now they can always improve the emulator if there is a demadn for it, say if Shrek had a bug that a bunch of people coplained about they could patch the emulator via Live to get Shrek upto 100%.

Anyway, I'm thinking that is the deal. Its just that they won't be testing the emulator on ALL Xbox titles, but it should run 99% of them just fine.

You guys know that Sony's backwards compatibility is done with extra hardware, which increases price (to make), increases the chance of it breaking and increases size/weight.

Maybe thats why the 360 is smaller than the PS3.

ps the Xbox is bigger than the PS2 because of the PC architecture. I'm sure 99% of you guys know that, but for the 1 guy that will say, "but the Xbox is bigger than the PS2 and its not backwards compatible with anything."

Nameless
05-22-2005, 02:21 PM
Meh, I dont care about backwards compatibilty at all. It just means you have to beat all your original games again. Try putting another 200+ hours into Morrowind. Hell, I only put in 50, got not very far, and wouldnt wanna do it all again.

mattgame
05-22-2005, 04:11 PM
Meh, I dont care about backwards compatibilty at all. It just means you have to beat all your original games again. Try putting another 200+ hours into Morrowind. Hell, I only put in 50, got not very far, and wouldnt wanna do it all again.

I'm keeping my old system so it doesn't matter to me.

CharlieHustle
05-22-2005, 04:44 PM
well, im not. Mine has gotta go. backwards compatibility isnt a major to me but it would be nice to have. especially when i buy games like in sept. or aug.

Nameless
05-22-2005, 04:48 PM
I'm keeping my old system so it doesn't matter to me.
Ditto. Hell, I still have my original Nintendo kickin around somewhere.

Variation-XBA
05-22-2005, 10:02 PM
the system will also be backward-compatible with the top-selling Xbox games.

Love how people hear what they want to hear ;)

Razor70
05-24-2005, 12:08 PM
From the way I am looking at it...most games will probably play on the new Xbox that are out now. Remember when Sony released the PS2 that they said the same thing about PSX games too. And most of those unless they were some of the very first games ever made for the PSX worked fine on the PS2. I think it's just a way for Microsoft to cover themselves that they will not get in trouble if a game does not work on the new system. But I wouldn't fret over it too much guys. I mean Microsoft knows what they are doing with this new system, they know what us the consumers want too. By release date they will have it all worked out I am for sure. It's not like we are talking about a company like Sega here. Microsoft knows it's gonna have tough competition coming out within the next few months, so they will do anything and everything to make sure they keep and get as many customers as possible.

Tony_Macaroni
05-24-2005, 08:35 PM
From the way I am looking at it...most games will probably play on the new Xbox that are out now. Remember when Sony released the PS2 that they said the same thing about PSX games too. And most of those unless they were some of the very first games ever made for the PSX worked fine on the PS2. I think it's just a way for Microsoft to cover themselves that they will not get in trouble if a game does not work on the new system. But I wouldn't fret over it too much guys. I mean Microsoft knows what they are doing with this new system, they know what us the consumers want too. By release date they will have it all worked out I am for sure. It's not like we are talking about a company like Sega here. Microsoft knows it's gonna have tough competition coming out within the next few months, so they will do anything and everything to make sure they keep and get as many customers as possible.

Yea but thats not to say that companys havent made very obvious crutial mistakes b 4.