PDA

View Full Version : A little... 'worried'

Nurb
05-26-2005, 04:32 PM
Call me a cynical b*stard, but am I the only one still kinda thinking MS is making a mistake by releasing another xbox this early?

I mean, the games, while looking good aren't really THAT much a step above the current hardware, as Xbox prez is trying to convice us. It's not the same as the change from SNES > PS > PS2. I know the games have 6 more months of development but they just don't impress me when we have games like SC: Chaos Theory and Forza already, and theres so much more potential to be tapped from our big black box. MS is making sony change its plans as well, but before that they were going to wait for a couple more years before releasing the ps3, which would have given the company time to get its game developers producing MORE good games out the door rather than have the majority of users rely on diet of block busters that are few and far between with sports game filler.

If you take a look through your old xbox magazines you'll notice just how many decent sounding games were canned, delayed for years or became a let-down. (see Fable) A few examples of decent games dropped that held promise would be Malice, Breed, Nomads, and of course True Fantasy Online. Again, they need more exclusive content before they talk new system.

Also, If you guys notice, there aren't nearly the volume of good playable games that there is on the PS2, thats just a fact, and MS needs more dev support before forcing a 'technology shift', which just about everyone in the industry has deemed a mistake as well while we're hypnotised by shiney things and pretty screenshots (which weren't even run on the hardware).

I think MS is trying to avoid dealing with their problems by releasing a shiney new system and I guess I'm taking a 'wait and see' approach before I decide if I'm gonna stay with the green team or not. If the games continue to look only like a notch or two above current xbox hardware then I'll probably skip a generation... Most decent Xbox games are ports and come out on PC eventually anyway :D

Max33
05-26-2005, 06:17 PM
I've shared many of the same concerns over the past week in terms of Microsofts marketing stragety this time round.It almost seems as if MS is abandoning my demographic in lu of the casual PS gamer catagory and Sony did a pretty good job of casting a shadow over the 360 unvailing at E3.

Having said that,it's way too early to make an educated decision on these issues.There's no way I'm gonna believe that Killzone footage was actual gameplay.Then theres the issue of the 360 development kits only utalizing 25% of the systems true potential...

Most people I know are kind bored with their Playstation and/or are a bit jealous the the xbox tends to get the best of the best in terms of games.I think that there are probably alot of PS2 owners taking the plunge and purchasing xboxs now,so mabey its not such a bad time to realese a system after all.

You just have to wait...the proof is in the pudding.

ScorpionX
05-26-2005, 06:28 PM
I agree 100% Nurb. I'm not liking such an early release, it might backfire on Microsoft

ColdArmoR
05-26-2005, 07:50 PM
I'm thinking it will probably get delayed 1 or two months..

and also I don't believe that Killzone video either... I doubt that was in game.

Salmonaitor
05-26-2005, 08:36 PM
Nurb, you're a cynical b@stard. :hump:

TheCovenant
05-26-2005, 08:41 PM
what are you worried about nurb? if xbox doesnt have the games you want, dont get one. If you're really that impressed by the ps3 or revolution, then no one is stopping you from indulging in the best gaming expirience possible. Just because you come to an xbox fan site, doesnt mean you have to shell out ANY money for an xbox.

Im genuinly anticipating the 360's launch. If in the year that it has against sony it doesnt convince me that the system is better...im sellin it and gettin a ps3. Although a lot of what you said is VERY opnion based, give me a ps2 and every single great title, and all you'll catch me doing is sleeping. Saying they have a better library is fact, well thats nothing short of ignorant. When it boils right down to it, its all in the games, and i just dont think sony has the ability to create the games i like.

Hell, sony only published one game i played this year, which is god of war.Gran turismo was outdone by forza, and im just not the fantavision kind of gamer they were trying to market to either.

However microsoft has bioware, bungie, and rare to produce many of the games i love (microsoft did publish these games, sony did not publish any of their third party games including FF series, gta series, and Metal gear series).

Right now gears of war has me hooked MUCH more than killzone 2. Hell im even looking forward to kameo over zelda (we'll see). Perfect dark zero is right up my alley too, and so is ghost recon 3. I'd rather play ghost recon 3 at the 360's launch then a year later at the ps3''s.

So dont worry nurb, good games are still abroad, and if its graphics all your concerned about, clearly that killzone 2, and warhawk 2 footage was amazing
:rollyes::)

tsrdawg
05-26-2005, 09:04 PM
I agree with Nurb...360 is being released too soon...

The original black box has LOTS of life left...hell, I m still playing transworld surf, DOA 3, wreckless, and moto gp online demo!!

Furthermore, it seems that this has been a breakout year for the xbox separating itself from PS2...Now, there is no doubt that xbox is superior to the ancient PS2...There are already about 4 contenders for GOTY(Chaos Theory, Forza, Jade Republic, Burnout 3) and this year isnt even halfway over.

I m sure you read the xbox release date article...about 200-300 more games coming out for the black box so its not close to becoming outdated...

I know MS wants to get an early jump on the next gen console market; but I can wait another 12-18 months for 360, even if it seems that it is being shoved in our faces...

I like the functionality of 360 but I d like to get a little more mileage out of the black box, which is also my main CD/DVD player, jukebox, and dumbbell!!

TheCovenant
05-28-2005, 12:58 AM
6 months earleir than ps3 is too soon? hmm, i think some business classes are in order.

TSR, if you're still playing DOA3, then you dont ever have to upgrade.

With games as awsome as prey, gears of war, perfect dark 0, Kameo: elements of power, quake 4, and the elder scrolls 4: oblivion; AT LAUNCH, i think thats enough "A" grade games at one time to keep me very entertained. ALL running at 720i minimum, and 4xAA...heaven is dawining upon us. I dont know why you poeple dont embrace it, rather then shame it based on its earlier accessibility...if you think the ps3 is gonna be that much better, then get it. its fairly simple, im not fighting for "whose console is better" im fighting for "is it going to be fun or not?", and from the looks of it, its a very hefty and subtle "HELL YES". :)

OC Noob
05-28-2005, 01:25 AM
[QUOTE=TheCovenant-XBA]6 months earleir than ps2 is too soon? hmm, i think some business classes are in order.

[QUOTE]

Yes.

They NEED to be first this time around. Being first offers then to use the momentum they have now and try to translate it into next gen sucess.

I really like the moves they are making like getting Square/enix support, having 2 high profile Japanesse RPGs made for the system for launch or close to launch titles. I don't like those games, but they are poised to get some of that Japanesse market that Xbox lacks.

I think the line up of games is stellar. There are a ton of games in developement as we speak, unlike the poor Xbox launch.

There is a dramatic difference between this gen and the next gen Xbox. Looking at low res videos isn't the best way to show it, but its pretty obvious if you play newer PC games and then look at the vids. I'm not too sure why more people aren't seeing it, but its obvious if you know what to look for and have seen similar gfx on the PC. GT6800's/x800s are WAY better than any console to date and I'd say something that can blow them away is pretty much next gen.

They need to capitalize on the next gen hype. If Sony comes out first they are going to lose a lot of the high end tech market and a lot of the hype that will follow the launch of the first next gen system. People can say the Dreamcast flopped, but it has better gfx than the PS2, but Segas marketing just stunk. Always had, and it killed em. MS is doing a very nice job of marketing, Other than putting to rest all the fabricated crap Sony is throwing out there I like what they are doing. Personally, I'd be much bolder in say that Sony is putting out CGs that they can't possibly live upto in real gaming situations, but thats just me and I can't stand all the Killzone noobs out there that keep claiming its real ingame footage and that the PS3 will kill the 360 because of it. Ign cleared that up already.

Really, the only thing Sony has shown us is short films that cost a lot of money to make and proof that their machine is no where close to done. Heck, they don't even have the vid card specs yet. I hate to see everyone getting so down on the 360 because a bunch of PS fanboys are making insane claims based soley on that.

Long story short, they need to keep the momentum, show strong support for genres they already kick ass in and show strong support for genres that they don't (i.e. FF type RPGs).

Lets not get too down over the Sony films fellas. Heck, they didn't even get alpha kits out till 2 months ago and have NO in game footage to show.

odpr
05-28-2005, 03:17 AM
I have to agree, plus it is going to be a long year for us waiting an arguing...
Remind me the days before the Xbox came out..

anyway I think I will wait for the playstation three just to see if it is really that better, if it is the same then for sure I will take the green machine again..

What is interesting though is the fact that is always good thing to wait in this things, the first hardware that come out is usually defect..
So I woulden't buy any system on the launch day .,..
You should wait couple of months anyway ..Btw check the play station portable what is going with the hardware,..

TheCovenant
05-28-2005, 04:41 AM
I have to agree, plus it is going to be a long year for us waiting an arguing...
Remind me the days before the Xbox came out..

anyway I think I will wait for the playstation three just to see if it is really that better, if it is the same then for sure I will take the green machine again..

What is interesting though is the fact that is always good thing to wait in this things, the first hardware that come out is usually defect..
So I woulden't buy any system on the launch day .,..
You should wait couple of months anyway ..Btw check the play station portable what is going with the hardware,..

i had my xbox for two years, and i bouoght it at launch. it got stolen so i bought another one whih is fine, but if you're suggesting i wait a full year to play:

PREY (this game looks so good i wet myself everytime someone mentions it)
Gears of War
Kameo (i know im the only one pumped for this, but its rare. i cant help it.)
Elder Scrolls 4: oblivion
Perfect Dark 0
Quake 4
Condemned
The Darkness
and call of duty 2 (which steven speilberg played and loved? wtf?)

then you sir, are teh crazy.

odpr
05-28-2005, 06:49 AM
It's good for Microsoft to see people that excited with their system on launch ...

I should wait anyway , after all you can't buy all the games. you can't play them all
All the system at launch is full of bugs, I would not touch it..

and what if ps will come with great system and better tittles ?
you will buy it too ?

If so.. What can I say,,, u have money and you buy all of it.

I stick to one good system..
From financial point and from principal point..

ColdArmoR
05-28-2005, 07:01 AM
Right now gears of war has me hooked MUCH more than killzone 2. Hell im even looking forward to kameo over zelda (we'll see). Perfect dark zero is right up my alley too, and so is ghost recon 3. I'd rather play ghost recon 3 at the 360's launch then a year later at the ps3's.

I agree, Gears of War is looking and sounding cool. It's made by Epic and I adore Unreal Championship and Unreal Tournament 2004.

Highlite23
05-28-2005, 09:07 AM
While I agree with the fact that the original Xbox probably had some life left in it, I'm not so worried about a 6 Month jump on Sony. Yes, It's a calculated risk, but it seems that MS is pretty confident it's games are solid, sticking to there usual credo of "We will release it when it's ready".

On the other hand Sony felt the need to make a showing at E3 with a ton of eye candy, and no real substance. I'm in the group that doesn't believe Killzone was real. Yes MS did a little of the same, but did stick to it's guns on showing what they had, and not hiding behind too much elaborate CG.

I think MS is banking heavy on XBL, silver and Gold. This is about money at the end of the day, and if MS can daw in the borderline gamers who love to chat and basically congrigate in cyberspace they will have won the war...based on revenue that is.

Now the problem is us, the hard core, die hard gamers. Are they going to make sure the gaming substance is there on this Next-Gen? I'm thinking yes, if nothing else MS has demonstrated loyalty and support for those who support them. They didn't have to come up with the S controller, but they did, in the begining buggy units were just replaced, etc...Sony has never addressed there DVD drive issue, solving the problem by releasing a "New" unit with a better drive, while you plunk down another $150.

I have all 3 systems, and probaly always will, but for my $$, until MS gives me a valid reason to doubt them I'm backing them.

Fear not, all will be fine, regardless of which system you end up with. It is still about the games.

Heavens Gate
05-28-2005, 09:59 AM
I also think it's too soon to release another console. I think technology is getting ahead of the game developers. Xbox still has alot of life and alot of really good games have been released recently ( Unreal LP, Jade Empire, Splinter Cell CT, Forza etc.) I will probably wait to get the 360 because it seems when new consoles first arrive there are alot of hardware problems. Hell, the PS3 sounds promising as well and with the backwards compatibility and Xbox not having it for alot of games, it will be an interesting choice for me. Who knows, I will probably buy all 3 next gen consoles. For me it depends on how good the games play and look. Especially sports games. All the hype means nothing to me. It's all been done before but we shall see.

TheCovenant
05-28-2005, 07:20 PM
It's good for Microsoft to see people that excited with their system on launch ...

I should wait anyway , after all you can't buy all the games. you can't play them all
All the system at launch is full of bugs, I would not touch it..

and what if ps will come with great system and better tittles ?
you will buy it too ?

If so.. What can I say,,, u have money and you buy all of it.

I stick to one good system..
From financial point and from principal point..

yes i will buy it too. From a financial stand point, a year is plenty of time to save some money aside. From a principle stand point, i play games to have fun, not to own the best games.

odpr
05-29-2005, 12:55 PM
Amazing to see a USA citizen that doesn’t know economics, and I thought you are the best at it,,,
\this two consoles will have most of the games true some of them will be exclusive probably four games top, for this is worth to buy another console ???

odpr
05-29-2005, 01:07 PM
Amazing to see a USA citizen that doesn’t know economics, and I thought you are the best at it,,,
\this two consoles will have most of the games true some of them will be exclusive probably four games top, for this is worth to buy another console ???

Plewis
05-29-2005, 01:08 PM
I think the reason we dont want xbox 360 to release earlier is because of the mindset of xbox owners. We waited on the xbox to come out november of 2001 instead of jumping on the PS2 bandwagon, and we were happy with our choice because we got the better console, a more powerful console. Now, xbox 360 is going to be released early and that leaves doubt on whether it will be more powerful. However, I would like to point out, that many developers that stuck with ps2 may be tempted to move over to xbox 360 because there will be a 6 month dead period where making games for the ps2 will seem pretty lame in comparison to the much better xbox 360.

I disagree with a lot of you guys, I think its time for a new system. Technology grows exponentially and it's time for a new system.

I bought xbox at launch, and I will probably buy xbox 360 at launch as well, I still have a lot of research to do first, but MS won't drop the ball on this.

vman
05-29-2005, 02:35 PM
lets put it this way, if I had the money, I would get the 360 at launch. hell, i would also get the revolution at launch. being able to download CHRONO TRIGGER will be beast!

odpr
05-30-2005, 06:06 AM
go to this and guess :
http://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70193