PDA

View Full Version : Are you a gamer or a collector?

Highlite23
06-02-2005, 09:06 AM
Do you purchase games, play them until your burnt out on it, then get rid of it and move to the next?

OR

Do you play your games, and then if they pass your standards as a quality game it has a permanent home in your fantastic library?

thrAsher
06-02-2005, 09:34 AM
Wow. Well, I'm in the middle. I keep games that I absolutely love, but I do trade in games that I know I'll never play or want to play again. For the most part, I'm pretty much a gamer, as I'm in it for the experience, although not necessarily to be the best. I'm pretty much a completionist, although I don't always go back to play a game again just to get every last bauble or special item. I also don't have any true affiliation or love for one console or one genre. I like a good RTS, and can lose myself in a deep RPG, all the while ready to blast away in a good scroller or platformer.

For me, games are my choice of entertainment. I don't watch TV (some Conan or Letterman, even SNL or MadTV, sure, but pretty much that's it), and the state of Hollywood right now has kept me out of going to the theater regularly for a couple years now.

So, call me a gamer w/ a tendency to hold onto games I love.

Chewy
06-02-2005, 09:45 AM
Gamer. There are VERY few games that I hold onto. But I am kind of lucky, as I have a "friend" just down the street who has just about every Xbox game ever released. So I know if I get a crazy craving to play Voodoo Vince after I have finished it I can just wander down and scoop it for the weekend.

m4oH
06-02-2005, 10:41 AM
Definetly a collector. I keep all my games no matter how bad. But sometimes I end up selling them all after the new gen of games come out... So I'm not sure what that makes me.

LiquidX
06-02-2005, 11:37 AM
I'm more of a collector I guess. I play games till I finish them and keep them no matter how bad they are. I just can't stand spending $50 on a game and only getting $5 back.

Sometimes I go back and play the games I loved like Ninja Gaiden, Halo, KotOR and a few others. I have like 26 Xbox games in my library right now. Im not even gonna count all my Atari, NES, SNES, Genesis, and N64 games. Thats EASILLY over 200 games all together... maybe over 300.

Rhiannon
06-02-2005, 01:18 PM
I guess I am a little bit of both. Depends on my mood or tatstes as I find that my taste in games has changed since I have gotten older.

thAshAdyOne
06-02-2005, 03:25 PM
Seriously..if you beat the game and love it so...why trade it in...play it again bastard!

Unreal
06-02-2005, 06:36 PM
Do you play your games, and then if they pass your standards as a quality game it has a permanent home in your fantastic library?
If a game has something I like or enjoyed about it. Then I make a permanent home in my library just in case I get the urge to play it down the road.

skorp
06-02-2005, 06:51 PM
I buy a game I think I might really like and thankfully there hasn't been much returns or disappointments.

I keep the ones I like as a collection and return the games that disappoint right away. Either that, sell or give them away.

TheWheelMan
06-02-2005, 08:47 PM
Well I dunno I remember back when I was a playstation fan boy with my ps1 I had a healthy collection in doses like id have maybe 10 games then trade half after a certain period to get 2 or 3 new ones or something like that but the ps1 ended when I traded it along with all the games and a bunch of pc games, game boy games (including the game boy color itself) for my xbox. when I first had the xbox I got the bundle with 4 games (I caught it just before it ended) so I got mechassault, KoToR, JSRF, sega gt 2002 after I beat them I just traded them cause I didnt really have any need for them plus im very low on cash flow so its either keep old games and be really bored or get something new and be happy for awhile longer. I honestly cant remember how many games Ive had for the xbox but if I would have kept them all im sure I would have maybe 20 or 30 currently I own GTA: double pack and Test drive: eve of destruction pathetic yes i know but im an unemployed game-o-holic so ya it explains itself I also rent quite often......ta!

CrazyLad
06-03-2005, 01:46 AM
Gamer, I only keep the games I play on a regular basis. All the other ones go on ebay.

LTM360
06-04-2005, 11:56 AM
Definately collector. I will only trade away games that absolutely sucked, or if I badly want a new game (like Fable, Halo 2 calibur) and I don't have money. I hate trading away games, I Will never get rid of Ocarina of Time, Devil May Cry, even if I didn't own the console. Just great games. I like collecting if I ever get that feeling to play a classic its right there. I get rid of **** games cause I don't think I'll ever get the urge to play Bloodwake again.

OC Noob
06-05-2005, 03:37 AM
http://www.nescapades.com/gameroom.htm

My hero ^^^

hebgbz
06-05-2005, 09:25 AM
Merely a gamer. Have owned, rented, borrowed about all of them, but once beaten or realize they are garbage I unload them. I could afford to collect them, but what a waste of money to have hundreds, if not thousands sitting on a shelf that will NEVER be touched (especially after the next gen arrives) that could be going and doing good here and now. My two cents anyway.

But then, I am 45 years old and have never collected anything my entire life. Have had to support myself most of my life and practicality always wins out over luxury.

m4oH
06-05-2005, 09:26 AM
http://www.nescapades.com/gameroom.htm

My hero ^^^
Same here.

Dj Logical 1
06-05-2005, 10:44 AM
Same here.

wow that is amazing,

Variation-XBA
06-05-2005, 07:09 PM
Collector, I NEVER trade anything in cause I only buy what I know I'm going to like and want to keep.

Just some of mine on the floor, others are somewhere.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/variation/DSCF0410.jpg

blonks
06-05-2005, 08:24 PM
i am neither a strict gamer of collector... but i am both :)

if a game is really good, ill keep it, but if i get tired of it or people stop playing it online... ill trade it

Hangnail
06-05-2005, 11:40 PM
Neither, I can't trade them in, but I might force myself to sell my PS2, XBOX, and some games from each when ever the new goodies come out. Especialy since the XBOX 360 will only be backwards compatible with the top selling XBOX games. That means when I sell my XBOX, I won't even be able to play some of my XBOX games...

Hero
06-09-2005, 10:05 PM
im a collector..i even get mad at my friend when he trades ina new $50 game for $20. but i do trade games i know im not gonna play anymore in places like Tgn and the trade forum on xba.

The Jackal
06-10-2005, 03:03 AM
I'm a collector. But I really don't want the games in my collection but the resell value is so so so low there really isn't much point in selling it. Oooo I paid $65 for this when I got it and it's mint but the guy will only give me a whoppin $2 for it.

Cloud Strife
06-10-2005, 05:56 AM
I'm both. I have played a videogame for over 800 days straight and I can play anywhere from 6-10 hours a day, when I'm on break or weekends from college. My problem is that I'm buying new games every week or so and I find myself just not having the time to play it, ended up with around 620 games now. I'm normally happy right now to get a game 1/3 complete. I've still had a few games here and there that get around 30-50 hours of play time, but they are usually my absolute favorite.

I use to trade in games all the time, but then I realized I bought back around 80% what I traded in. So I decided to only trade a game I truly dislike in every way. Even if I beat a game, I'll still play it. I've found out, I normally play games I've beaten almost as much as games I haven't beaten, since I like them a lot.