PDA

View Full Version : Next-Gen Controller

rune holm
06-02-2005, 11:52 AM
Im as excited as you about the next-gen machines and their capabilities. But on thing that i think is neglected, is the controller. Yea, sure MS and Sony made a new design, but what will these new crontollers do? No one, to my knowledge, said anything about this. Therefore i suspect that its all the same, unfortanately.

I would like more sensitivines in the controllers, meaning that depending on how fast or hard you move the sticks og press the buttons, the game you are playing will respond accordingly. This ofcourse also depends on the software (i.e. the games).
I know that both the controller S and X have theses capabilities, but its not yet satisfying for me.

Just imagine how sweet it would be to play a car game and have FULL controll on how hard you brake, how much gas you are giving etc. etc.

This is what im hoping for will be develop a lot over the years. Maybe in the fourth generation........

What are you guys thaughts??

See ya´

LiquidX
06-02-2005, 12:02 PM
Right now the Xbox really is the only system that allows you to have full control over gas and brake in racing games on a normal controller. Try it out. It works especially well in Forza with Traction Control and ABS turned off. If you floor it in a powerfull car you will spin the tires through 3rd gear. If you slam on the brakes you will lock them up.

I think DOA also has some type of pressure sensitivity where you can pull off different moves by pushing the button softly or mashing on it.

I don't really think there will be an advancement in this part of gaming because there really hasn't been an outcry by gamers for this type of thing. Sony and Nintendo will definately have the same type of functionality as the MS controller as far as pressure sensitivity next gen just because MS had it this time around. I absolutely hate Sony's controller for racing games, never even tried a GC controller.

Solid Snake 015
06-03-2005, 07:53 PM
Well if were talking controllers im really looking forward to 360's controller. The white and black button being moved has really got me excited about it. Also the Menu button in the middle (the icon) is a classy feature as well.

I cant say the same thing when it comes to PS3's controller (i guess im just gunna have to try one out at a store or something) Atleast when i get upset and throw it it will come back lmao :rofl:

I have yet to see a concept controller for the revolution... im looking forward to how they will make it so that it will be familiar with all the older NES system games (should be a good one)

As for all the controllers im glad they have gone to wireless and im pretty confident that the controllers will work well (because the company that built the console built the controllers and will make sure there is no lag).

cheers :cheers:

CharlieHustle
06-03-2005, 09:05 PM
espn baseball the same thing. how hard you push a button determines whether its a swing or a check swing. if im right...

OC Noob
06-04-2005, 12:41 AM
Im as excited as you about the next-gen machines and their capabilities. But on thing that i think is neglected, is the controller. Yea, sure MS and Sony made a new design, but what will these new crontollers do? No one, to my knowledge, said anything about this. Therefore i suspect that its all the same, unfortanately.

I would like more sensitivines in the controllers, meaning that depending on how fast or hard you move the sticks og press the buttons, the game you are playing will respond accordingly. This ofcourse also depends on the software (i.e. the games).
I know that both the controller S and X have theses capabilities, but its not yet satisfying for me.

Just imagine how sweet it would be to play a car game and have FULL controll on how hard you brake, how much gas you are giving etc. etc.

This is what im hoping for will be develop a lot over the years. Maybe in the fourth generation........

What are you guys thaughts??

See ya´

Yeah, thats one of the big advantages over GC and PS2 controllers. The triggers do just that. Also the analogs are a lot more sensitive to degree of movement than PS2 or GC controllers.

Still there is more room for improvement and better senitivity for things like aiming in FPSers, so I'm hoping the next gen controllers will improve apon what the S-controller has done.

Although, thats probably not something they will advertise, so its very possible that it has been improved for the new controllers.

IMO, the triggers and the analogs make the Xbox controller far and away the best controller we have now.

TheCovenant
06-04-2005, 03:49 AM
what about the wireless ness and the guide button? both very clean innovations, imo.

Nurb
06-04-2005, 04:49 AM
I like this new controller better than the current, but no current control comes close to the greatness of the Saturn's

TheCovenant
06-04-2005, 05:03 AM
:rofl:

yea, and lets not forget the jaguar.

Nurb
06-04-2005, 05:18 AM
:rofl:

yea, and lets not forget the jaguar.
...now that you mention it...

AlphaRaptor
06-04-2005, 08:30 AM
Although its like an S, and im a duke dude, the new Xbox controllers don't look bad. The most annoying thing I found about the S was the white and black buttons. So now that they are moved, Im cool. :)

ColdArmoR
06-04-2005, 08:50 AM
Well if were talking controllers im really looking forward to 360's controller. The white and black button being moved has really got me excited about it. Also the Menu button in the middle (the icon) is a classy feature as well.

I cant say the same thing when it comes to PS3's controller (i guess im just gunna have to try one out at a store or something) Atleast when i get upset and throw it it will come back lmao :rofl:

I have yet to see a concept controller for the revolution... im looking forward to how they will make it so that it will be familiar with all the older NES system games (should be a good one)

As for all the controllers im glad they have gone to wireless and im pretty confident that the controllers will work well (because the company that built the console built the controllers and will make sure there is no lag).

Agreed. THe New 360 Controller looks great, and I'm not to sure about that PS3 controller, looks huge..

OC Noob
06-04-2005, 01:21 PM
Agreed. THe New 360 Controller looks great, and I'm not to sure about that PS3 controller, looks huge..

I'd like the PS3 controller if the arms weren't so darn long. I wonder if its for balance or looks or what? It looks like poo though (IMO).

Anyone else prefer the ergonomics of the Nintendo controller?

None of the controllers are uncomfortable, but the nintendo controller just feels right. Too bad the triggers and analogs stink. Hopefully the 360's will have that natural feel.

rune holm
06-04-2005, 02:41 PM
what about the wireless ness and the guide button? both very clean innovations, imo.

Well, I for one dont like wireless, in fact i hate it. I want good strong rumble effect, and no need to worry about the battery going low. However there has been talk about that the standard controller will come with re-chargeble batteries (recharged on the x360 via the usb slot). This would be great though, but i´d still prefer an improved controller with a cord (just maker it longer for christs sake).

Then, just because the controller is good (wich is the case with the original controller and the "S") theres absolutely no reason to rest on the laurels. Wich im sure MS wont do because of our friends over at Sony......

Hangnail
06-05-2005, 10:34 PM
I always liked the XBOX contoller...not the BIG one though... the one that comes with the new XBOXs. The nubs on the analog didn't feel right at first though, kinda painful when playing Fight Night Round 2 when you really get into it...but thats just me. :eek:

I just hope the new controllers, ALL of the controllers, have that natural feel like the XBOX one did.

TheCovenant
06-06-2005, 08:31 PM
the guide button poeple... best innovation in a controller since the rumble pak.

eskara
06-16-2005, 03:33 PM

LMAO :rofl:

rpgreligion
06-18-2005, 03:57 PM
I'm still praying that there will be a duke version of the 360 controller. :(

MasterChief21
06-18-2005, 04:00 PM
The 360's controller looks the same as the Xbox's if you ask me. The difference is the button placements. I think that the start button is somewhere on the top. And the cool thing is that 360 ball in the top center of it. You can acces XBL and other things related.

mattgame
06-19-2005, 12:04 PM

I also like what MS has in store for us. I just hope that the wireless don't end costing me a fortune in batteries.

m4oH
06-19-2005, 12:18 PM
I loved the duke controllers, then i broke mine. I bought an S now I love S controllers. They both feel natural.

TOTTEN
06-19-2005, 12:20 PM
I also like what MS has in store for us. I just hope that the wireless don't end costing me a fortune in batteries.
The batteries are rechargable :)