View Full Version : R the Svideo cables worth it

cyclaud
02-16-2002, 12:10 PM
DO THEY REALLY MAKE A DIIFERENCE. IF SO WHICH BRAND :confused:

nik2deep
02-16-2002, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by cyclaud

definatly worth the whole...$8...it does make a difference...and its only $8 ....so don't be so cheap and make your experience a little better....it provides better clarity definition and sharpness...not to mention color contrast is greatly improved..so if you want to get the best bang for your buck..get the s-video...I wouldn't have it any other way!!!!

NeXt?????

nik2deep
02-16-2002, 12:32 PM
and the brand doesn't make a difference....but aftermarket ones are cheaper...seen the official microsoft ones for $20...I've seen the others for as little as $7.99

Kooster
02-16-2002, 12:39 PM
I bought the MadCatz S-Video cable because it comes with a lifetime warranty and is cheaper than the Microsoft one. And Yes, it does make a difference. The details are increased on games and DVDs. It's worth buying!

Xtopia
02-16-2002, 02:28 PM
DO THEY REALLY MAKE A DIIFERENCE. IF SO WHICH BRAND

I asked this about a 1 month ago...and everyone told me they are worth it...And they are right!! It makes a big diff.

nik2deep
02-16-2002, 05:55 PM
whats up Xtopia......good gamin b4...

Afro Aura
02-16-2002, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by cyclaud
Yeah the S-Video cable is great I had to buy the Microsoft own as I'm in the UK and it was the only one I could find, I hated the cr@p composite piture so I went out to buy one and I am so happy the piture is so clear the sound is stunning, ooooh all that bump-mapping I couldn't see in Halo, Dead or Alive 3 and so on, the only bloody think is cost me all together £85 aarrrgghh but if you looking for quality you got to spend

the cost:
Microsoft Advanced AV pack: £29.99 bloody import prices
Gold plated Digital Cable: £29.99
Gold Plated S-Video to Scart lead: £24.99

The digital sound and the piture are top notch

Muabdi'b
02-16-2002, 10:15 PM
Another positive vote. They are worth it and You do notice the picture difference.:cool:

DenniZz81
02-17-2002, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Afro Aura

Yeah the S-Video cable is great I had to buy the Microsoft own as I'm in the UK and it was the only one I could find, I hated the cr@p composite piture so I went out to buy one and I am so happy the piture is so clear the sound is stunning, ooooh all that bump-mapping I couldn't see in Halo, Dead or Alive 3 and so on, the only bloody think is cost me all together £85 aarrrgghh but if you looking for quality you got to spend

the cost:
Microsoft Advanced AV pack: £29.99 bloody import prices
Gold plated Digital Cable: £29.99
Gold Plated S-Video to Scart lead: £24.99

The digital sound and the piture are top notch

will it make a difference if you but the ad pack and i have a svideo cable already and put it in a scart converter and into my tv?

cyclaud
02-17-2002, 02:33 PM
Im just gonna buy the mad catz cable:cool:

Azazel
02-17-2002, 04:12 PM
I recommend the component video cable if your tv has the input for it. It was only $20 for the HDTV pack and worth every penny.

Afro Aura
02-17-2002, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by DenniZz81

will it make a difference if you but the ad pack and i have a svideo cable already and put it in a scart converter and into my tv?
When I bought the Advanced AV pack it had the 3 nasty composite phonos (2 for sound and 1 for Video), S-Video output and a Digital sound output, Now the reason for me getting the S-Video > SCART lead is that my S-Vdeo is at the front of my TV and the SCARTS are at the back so I wanted to keep all the mess of wires out of sight thats all, oh yeah you do get a S-Video and Phonos with the pack so you don't have to buy any more leads
I went out to get the gold plated leads for my personal use as it didn't come with the S-Video > SCART and the Digital lead

The picture is AMAZING if you've ever watched anything through an RF signal aaarrrggghhh and then you buy yourself a SCART or S-Video you'll know what I mean and if you've got yourself a Digital processcor with does, either DD or DTS then you've got to get yourself the digital lead then your XBOX will be kicking HARD.

Composite and RF sucks

DenniZz81
02-18-2002, 05:06 AM

When I bought the Advanced AV pack it had the 3 nasty composite phonos (2 for sound and 1 for Video), S-Video output and a Digital sound output, Now the reason for me getting the S-Video > SCART lead is that my S-Vdeo is at the front of my TV and the SCARTS are at the back so I wanted to keep all the mess of wires out of sight thats all, oh yeah you do get a S-Video and Phonos with the pack so you don't have to buy any more leads
I went out to get the gold plated leads for my personal use as it didn't come with the S-Video > SCART and the Digital lead

The picture is AMAZING if you've ever watched anything through an RF signal aaarrrggghhh and then you buy yourself a SCART or S-Video you'll know what I mean and if you've got yourself a Digital processcor with does, either DD or DTS then you've got to get yourself the digital lead then your XBOX will be kicking HARD.

Composite and RF sucks

what if you would buy the ad pack plug in a svideo cable from it convert it to scart and into the tv?
would that give the quality a bost as well?

Afro Aura
02-18-2002, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by DenniZz81

what if you would buy the ad pack plug in a svideo cable from it convert it to scart and into the tv?
would that give the quality a bost as well?
OK mate the reason why I bought the S-Video > SCART is that my S-Video socket is at the front of my TV and at the back of my TV there are SCART sockets, now with my XBOX sitting underneath my TV I just didn't want wires sticking out everywhere so thats the reson I bought the S-Video > SCART to keep the front of my living room clean and keep all the connections at the back where all the other wires are hiding like my Video, DVD, Processer etc, etc.

Also don't worry about the S-Video and SCART they both give you a better picture, if the AV pack had a SCART input I would have bought a SCART > SCART lead, but it only came with a S-Video input OK I hope this helps

S-Video: splits the signal into chrominace (colour) and luminance (brightness)
SCART: gives you RGB signal, when it's wired up correctly
But dont worry they will BOTH give you a brilliant picture which everone you choose and as I said get yourself an optical cable for the sound it will amaze you (thats if you Hi-fi can take an optical lead)

Toder
02-18-2002, 12:14 PM
S-video cables do make a difference. i would go with monster cable though.

Toder
02-18-2002, 12:27 PM

Afro Aura
02-18-2002, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Toder
If Monster did the Advanced AV pack I would have got that one instead but over here in the UK it's hard to find this stuff, went out to get myself some goldplated leads so if I do find a Monster AV pack I'll buy one and get rid of the Microsoft AV pack, at the moment though I'm happy with my set-up

l Maximus l
02-18-2002, 12:34 PM
If you buy the Advanced A/V Pack by Microsoft, it has an S-Video cable on it. I own it, love it, and wouldn't have it any other way.

But, last weekend, I just bought a brand new 43" Toshiba HDTV Widescreen...and, now I am buying the High Definition A/V pack with Component Video :D I'm so stoked, I'm about to cry! I get it tomorrow!!!

skoot182
02-18-2002, 12:36 PM
unless you plan on upgrading your TV later (to HDTV, etc...), i would just get the MadCatz S-Video cable

Afro Aura
02-18-2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Maximus
If you buy the Advanced A/V Pack by Microsoft, it has an S-Video cable on it. I own it, love it, and wouldn't have it any other way.

But, last weekend, I just bought a brand new 43" Toshiba HDTV Widescreen...and, now I am buying the High Definition A/V pack with Component Video :D I'm so stoked, I'm about to cry! I get it tomorrow!!!
Cool dude get the BEST leads out there do you have a digital processer as the sound using the optical cable is amazing
anyway don't wet your pants mate I'm happy for you too lol

Toder
02-18-2002, 12:41 PM
Monster does make the advanced a/v pack and here are the only stores in the UK

The Monsters In England,
The United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland
Lenbrook UK
2 Old Wolverton Road, Old Wolverton
Milton Keynes
Buckinghamshire, MK12 5NP
United Kingdom B Contact: Carol Hobday or Jackie ****er
Mobile: 0796 7708 336
Office: 01908 319 360
Fax: 01908 322 752
Email: monstercable@lenbrook.co.uk
Web Site: www.lenbrook.co.uk

Westside Distribution (Pro-MI)
11 Otago Lane North,
Glasgow, UK G128PH
Tel: +44 (0) 141 337 6833
Fax: +44 (0) 141 337 6834
Email: phil@westsidedistribution.com

but if you want to take a look for your self go to www.monstercable.com

Afro Aura
02-18-2002, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by skoot182
unless you plan on upgrading your TV later (to HDTV, etc...), i would just get the MadCatz S-Video cable
Nar mate I'd say Monster as they deal in cable and have more experience in that field.

Toder
02-18-2002, 12:47 PM
here is a link that will take you to the monster xbox cables
http://www.monstercable.com/monstergame/xbox/default.html

Afro Aura
02-18-2002, 12:49 PM

The Monsters In England,
Lenbrook UK
Milton Keynes

11 Otago Lane North,
Glasgow, UK G128PH

aaaaaarrrrggghhh you tell me that now, well it's goodbye Microsoft AV pack and hello Monster, do you know if it has the optical cable so I can connect to my Hi-Fi

l Maximus l
02-18-2002, 12:50 PM

The Monsters In England,
Lenbrook UK
Milton Keynes

11 Otago Lane North,
Glasgow, UK G128PH

Toder...I know what you mean, man! I just bought a brand new 43" Toshiba HDTV Widescreen last weekend! I'm so pumped! It's my first HDTV ever! I plan on buying these cables:

http://www.monstercable.com/monstergame/xbox/images/XGL400.jpg

Found at http://www.monstercable.com/monstergame/xbox/default.html

LynxFX
02-18-2002, 12:53 PM
Max, you got an HDTV this weekend? Sweet man. So the pressure got to yah huh? :D

Have fun bud!!:) :)

Toder
02-18-2002, 12:55 PM
Afro Aura its called lightwave 100x - fiber optic audio cable

Afro Aura
02-18-2002, 12:58 PM
Afro Aura its called lightwave 100x - fiber optic audio cable
Yeah dude
Seen and Done
Thanks Mate:D

l Maximus l
02-18-2002, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx
Max, you got an HDTV this weekend? Sweet man. So the pressure got to yah huh? :D

Have fun bud!!:) :)

Yeah, pretty sweet, huh!?!? I must admit, I was inspired by my fellow XBox addicts :D My awesome wife supports me all the way with this amazing purchase! Dude!!! I kid you not, when we actually bought it, my eyes started to water! :D hehe...No joke! I'm so pumped up I can't believe it! So, what do you think of the Monster GameLink™ 400 X Component Video with Analog Audio cables? I hear that they are the best...and there's no doubt that I want the best possible experience with this investment! :D

LynxFX
02-18-2002, 01:10 PM
Well as you may know I'm no fan of Monster cables but you might as well go for it. Now you need to get your 5.1 setup and you will truly be in the elite gamers squad and you will never want to leave the house again. :D

l Maximus l
02-18-2002, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx
Well as you may know I'm no fan of Monster cables but you might as well go for it. Now you need to get your 5.1 setup and you will truly be in the elite gamers squad and you will never want to leave the house again. :D

What is your reasoning behind not being a fan of Monster cables?

And, yes!! I really want to get a surround sound system next. I have a room that is perfect for it...dedicated to a home theatre :D

cyclaud
02-18-2002, 02:20 PM
This sucks i bought the svideo mad catz cable but my dvd is using the svideo input and my parents say no constant switching cables in the back. does any one know where to get a GOOD AND REASONABLE SPLITTER.

Afro Aura
02-18-2002, 02:27 PM

Yeah, pretty sweet, huh!?!? I must admit, I was inspired by my fellow XBox addicts :D My awesome wife supports me all the way with this amazing purchase! Dude!!! I kid you not, when we actually bought it, my eyes started to water! :D hehe...No joke! I'm so pumped up I can't believe it! So, what do you think of the Monster GameLink™ 400 X Component Video with Analog Audio cables? I hear that they are the best...and there's no doubt that I want the best possible experience with this investment! :D
Hmmm analog sure it's OK if you've got analog things lets say a record played or if you got analog TV, but you see the XBOX, CD the DVD are ALL digital, I can see the cable Mate but I would find yourself an optical cable, if you've got yourself a system that can do DD or DTS. I've tried it through analog myself before I had the Advanced AV pack, now it was fine but if you really want something to SHOUT about go find yourself a optical cable and get that machine pumping hard, I'm telling you it's worth it:D

Toder
02-18-2002, 02:27 PM
Don't know if they make one or not. But I would try Radio Shack.

l Maximus l
02-18-2002, 03:27 PM

Hmmm analog sure it's OK if you've got analog things lets say a record played or if you got analog TV, but you see the XBOX, CD the DVD are ALL digital, I can see the cable Mate but I would find yourself an optical cable, if you've got yourself a system that can do DD or DTS. I've tried it through analog myself before I had the Advanced AV pack, now it was fine but if you really want something to SHOUT about go find yourself a optical cable and get that machine pumping hard, I'm telling you it's worth it:D

Well, I can't go optical until I get a surround sound system powered by a receiver. Right now, I just have my new TV...but, I'm working on it! And, yes, I will definately go with optical when I get a receiver :)

Afro Aura
02-18-2002, 03:46 PM

Well, I can't go optical until I get a surround sound system powered by a receiver. Right now, I just have my new TV...but, I'm working on it! And, yes, I will definately go with optical when I get a receiver :)
K Mate Have fun with ya HDTV while I play on my little small 36" TV 100hz it's got a sort of HD mode called DRC 100Hz the picture is a lot better that a normal 100Hz TV

And remember what I said get hold of that optical lead whenever you can, playing Halo is so much better in digital

l Maximus l
02-18-2002, 03:57 PM

K Mate Have fun with ya HDTV while I play on my little small 36" TV 100hz it's got a sort of HD mode called DRC 100Hz the picture is a lot better that a normal 100Hz TV

And remember what I said get hold of that optical lead whenever you can, playing Halo is so much better in digital

Yeah, dude...Well, I'll have the digital video...just not audio. Not yet, anyway. I'll be picking up the Toslink cables the moment I purchase a receiver and some speakers... Deeeyaaamn! That would be an awesome set-up! :D

I'm so pumped up for tomorrow that a tear practically stems from my eye :D

Afro Aura
02-18-2002, 04:54 PM

Yeah, dude...Well, I'll have the digital video...just not audio. Not yet, anyway. I'll be picking up the Toslink cables the moment I purchase a receiver and some speakers... Deeeyaaamn! That would be an awesome set-up! :D

I'm so pumped up for tomorrow that a tear practically stems from my eye :D
Well be carefull mate as Toslink are funny cable you have to make sure that you system has the ports for it, I'm sure you'll find normal optical leads on most items now

l Maximus l
02-18-2002, 05:10 PM

Well be carefull mate as Toslink are funny cable you have to make sure that you system has the ports for it, I'm sure you'll find normal optical leads on most items now

First, Toslink is optical audio cables. And, any decent receiver will have optical audio inputs. I agree, they are a must, especially if you have a surround sound system :D Say good bye to the notorius "hissing" sounds from speakers! Just pure and clean audio brilliance :)