PDA

View Full Version : WoW on Xbox 360...maybe.

Shadow20002
06-17-2005, 03:48 AM
Blizzard Entertainment announced that World of Warcraft, the company's subscription-based massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG), has surpassed two million paying subscribers worldwide. As the game's worldwide population continues to grow, so does the game itself: Blizzard recently introduced the highly anticipated player-vs.-player (PvP) Honor System and the game's first two Battlegrounds, Alterac Valley and Warsong Gulch. These new PvP battlefields offer a variety of fast-paced combat and some of the most valuable rewards yet seen in the game.

Many thought that Blizzard would be overwhelmed by the unexpected success WoW but instead the company is already working on a variety of WoW updates, Stracraft: Ghost and a few other top secret projects, even finding time to discuss WoW on XBox 360.

In a recent E3 chat, Blizzard's VP of business operations, Paul Sams, claimed that the company had been approached by Microsoft in order to discuss WoW on XBox Live once XBox 360 is launched. Mr. Sams made it clear that Blizzard remains interested in such a collaboration but is determined to stay true to the game and unwilling to sacrifice any of its features. This would mean that a console version would require some form of mouse and keyboard peripheral and that raised a few questions. Traditionally console peripherals do not sell well and that could have a negative impact on WoWs chances of success on the platfrom. Despite the problems Blizzard does seem willing to discuss the format and possibilities in an attempt to work things out since the success of WoW almost demands some form of console version of the game.

World of Warcraft recently surpassed the two million mark for paying subscribers. Already the largest MMO in North America, Australia, New Zealand and Europe, Blizzard expects to see even greater growth with the recent commercial launch in China on June 7, 2005. Anticipation for World of Warcraft was already at an all-time high in China, with peak concurrency during the open beta test topping 500,000 players, nearly equal to World of Warcraft's peak concurrency in all three current markets combined. Blizzard expects to see the new mark of two million subscribers shattered quickly with the arrival of players from China in the coming weeks.

Later in the year, World of Warcraft will also launch in Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau.

Even as World of Warcraft debuts in new markets, Blizzard continues to develop new content to keep the game relevant and exciting for current and incoming players. The recent deployment of Battlegrounds illustrates Blizzard's commitment to enhancing the World of Warcraft experience for all its players worldwide. Additional Battlegrounds and more content updates are scheduled throughout the year and beyond.

Source@ (http://www.megagames.com/news/html/pc/wowreaches2mandxbox360.shtml)

Variation-XBA
06-18-2005, 01:20 PM
I don't suspect it'll happen, but if it does, it's a LONG ways off.

Plewis
06-18-2005, 02:57 PM
I hope it doesn't happen, because then I will, of course, have to get the game and then I will be addicted and have zero social life.

MasterChief21
06-18-2005, 04:03 PM
I think that will be dumb. WoW looks great on the Computer. There would proabably be more lag on the 360.

Dj Logical 1
06-18-2005, 05:08 PM
I think that will be dumb. WoW looks great on the Computer. There would proabably be more lag on the 360.

Everyone who agrees say I.........

I

SamSmith
06-18-2005, 07:51 PM

why you think that? i would say that it would run as good if not better

ShannonX
06-19-2005, 01:13 AM
good luck playing WoW with a controller... LOL

OC Noob
06-19-2005, 02:55 AM

I would disagree also. The 360 is uniform from one user to the next and requires broadband use.

Computers have all sorts of configurations and I don't know if you can use dial-up for it, but all 360 users will have the same ethernet hardware.

Such uniformity lends itself to better gaming performance, not worse.

People will be using the same broadband connections and much more uniform hardware, I don't see why performance would be worse than on a PC.

ps as for the gamepad comment a few posts down, there will certainly be keyboard/mouse combos for the 360 and the addition of voice chat will be very nice for small group chat. Heck, it will probably be better on the 360 since the gfx can be improved, you add a voice chat element, you can get a keyboard.mouse and it should perform better on the uniform hardware/Live infrastructure.

pps I've been playing since about week 3 and it is an AWSOME MMORPG. Definitely the best I've played and I've played most of them.

mattgame
06-19-2005, 12:03 PM
OC you are my hero!

If they did this it would send 360 sales through the damn roof! I hope it doesn't happen, people would never leave their homes.

m4oH
06-19-2005, 12:11 PM
They haven't started to make it and they would need a long time. I highly doubt this.

OC Noob
06-19-2005, 12:20 PM
They haven't started to make it and they would need a long time. I highly doubt this.

Thing is that its a port. Its going to take longer than a normal port, but development won't be nearly as long as a new MMO game or even a normal Xbox game.

I'm not saying it will happen or that its going to be a launch tittle, but the game is perfect for the mainstream and it would make sense to consolize it from a finacial stand point.

That said, Blizzard does what they think is best and if they think keeping it on the PC is best, they won't do it just to make a quick buck.

I'm thinking the 2 million paying subscribers are giving them more money that they ever expected, lol.

I remeber when EQ was the big shot and everyone was absolutely wow'ed with its 400k paying customers. Blizzard blew the freaking roof off that genre in terms of sucess. I guess you can't under-estimate the power of casual gaming appeal. Its also very nice for hardcore players, but its no EQ when it comes to grinding for years to reach max level. Those guys are either truely hardcore or just mental ;)