PDA

View Full Version : XBOX Online Question

Whisper
02-16-2002, 09:48 PM
Ok... I'm not really a techy so I really need some information on this... I was just over at GamespyArcade looking at playing the XBOX online and stuff... but I only have a 56k Modem anyway so I have no hope in doing so for some time...

Anyway, what is a BROADBAND connections... In my area (TORNTO) I can get on Bell Sympatico, which is a 1MB modem, but on GAMESPY it says there is "NO MODEM SUPPORT" ... does that mean a 1MB modem is not suppored... would I have to get DSL? Which is way too expensive for me and my family...

So, just answere the few questions contained in there, please...

And also why would MICROSOFT ignore the 80% of people that are still on 56K ... come on Bill...

Toonz
02-16-2002, 11:23 PM
Toronto has Shaw@home cable service for the internet its gonna be your best bet for broadband IMO.

Frostberg
02-16-2002, 11:39 PM
Hey now, MS didnt ignore you...its just that games nowadays have gotten bigger...on DVDs and nrequire more bandwidth...just more than 56k can handle...I dont know what Bell Sympatico i, but 1MBps is almost DSL, and would be enough for the official ms network, and for some gamespy arcade games, as long as you arent the host...

Whisper
02-17-2002, 04:45 PM
Frost,

On Gamespy it says "No Modem Support" in the XBOX games section... although it is 1MBps, would it still be considered a modem? Cause it is a modem. And when they do launch, is it CONFIRMED wether it will be pay2play or free.

Frostberg
02-17-2002, 04:56 PM
When they say no modem support, they mean no 56k modems...we all have modems...DSL modems or cable modems...I dont know what Bell SYmpatico is, but it is fast enough...
It is confirmed you will have to pay. However, there is no word on the cost. Xbox reps I have talked to say there will be a basic plan, and then you add based on a certain package you may want. The example I have heard mo0st is EA could have a sports package, where for $5 more or so a month you can play Madden, Live and NHL online. The basic plan is said to be around $10-$15 and that would be to access the network, which you could download game demos and patches or whatever. It could also include a premium package of some MS games. Lets just say it will be like cable, where you have all your various packages to choose from.

Hugh_Jass
02-17-2002, 05:28 PM
1Mbps is considered broadband.

The terms can be confusing. Some DSL connections are still dial-up in that they aren't "always-on" like cable modems.

Whether you use a modem, router, gateway, hub, or switch is irrelevant. As long as you have broadband you're good to go. I believe if your throughput is 256Kbps or greater you'll be compatible with the MS online network.