PDA

View Full Version : All those interested in FFXI and plan on getting it for 360 please read

mrmp3
06-28-2005, 08:13 PM
How are my fellow XBA'ers doing today?

Kinda somethin that bugged me a little while ago that I saw on the main page so I figured I'd post. I understand this is a fansite for the Xbox, but there is a point where objective-journalism distorts what a game will be. I think the article read "better graphics and more content" and then how it'd be the best version yet. Actually no that wasn't inside the article, it was the little subtitle on the main page that said that. But in case you haven't heard there are no better graphics, its the same as the PC with a longer draw distance than the PS2 version.

Now there's nothing wrong with hyping the 360 version of the game, but to misword what the developer like that is kind of unlike XBA and something more the power Xbox fanboys at OXM would do. Normally this wouldn't bother cuz I like Xbox probably just the same as everyone else, but first off you stretched the information given a little too far. The graphics will be on par with PC and the draw distance will be better than PS2, that's it. There isn't any added content or upgraded graphics over other versions. Secondly, the 360 version costs $60. You buy it for PC it's current price point (the non-DVD version that is without the Promanthia Expansion) it's only $20, buy it with promanthia that's another $20 so $40 altogether (and keep in mind this game really doesn't need a whole helluva a lot to play). Now take into account your gonna need a harddrive to play the 360 version. For now we'll just say it costs $60, though that's not official by any means. Add that to the 360 version of 11 which is $60, your talkin $120 to equal what would cost $40 on the PC. I guarantee you some people scratch their heads "why would I pay all that extra?" Point blank it's just so people who don't own a PC for some reason or don't have a PS2 can play it. But when you say better graphics and more content, that makes it seem to some uneducated joe that "ohhh it costs all that extra money cause they have suped up graphics and additional content that the other versions don't got". Guarantee you people who could've easily played it on PC are gonna be pissed when they find out it's almost identical to the PC version cept they payed 3x as much. I like all consoles and I probably like Xbox the most, but I stopped reading EGM cuz they suck to much Sony c*ck and I stopped reading OXM cuz they never cease to ever say on every page "it's so gonna own the PS2 version" about every game, unlike PSM which does a lot less trash talking and a lot more reporting. I'm not saying that one article alone will make me stop coming, or any of the PS3 slamming, but please don't stretch out too far how much better the Xbox versions will be.

P.S. I'm not even close to stop coming altogether, far from actually. I'm just saying if this continues for a very extended period of time, then I may look for my news else where. I don't expect you guys to care but I figured I had to post my feelings.

StudioAlex
06-29-2005, 12:48 AM
Since I'm the one you're calling a liar and a fanboy, I guess I'll defend "better graphics and more content" with quotes straight from the article. If any of the information has changed since the item was published, then it hasn't been made widely known.

Graphics:
Hiromichi-san claimed that the 360 version will offer a draw-distance twice that of the PC version

First, you're wrong about the draw distance being on par with the PC version. The article clearly states it will be twice that of the PC. Secondly, maybe you don't consider horizons, pop up, and draw in when you look at a game, but most people do.

As far as more content:
will feature an assortment of new content such as jobs and the possibility of new Summon magic spells

That's new content. Note the words new content followed by the description of what the new content will likely be; jobs and summoning spells.

I don't know why you brought up price points because I don't recall boasting that it would only cost 20$. Also, you don't seem to be keeping up to date on the latest info because the Xbox 360 will come with a 20 gig hard drive, out of the box.

Also, this is an Xbox website, so what you're getting is opinionated journalism. We donate our time and effort because we like the Xbox. As far as I know, the vast majority of the staff owns and plays multiple systems, but for one reason or another, we favor the Xbox. That said, we don't lie or mislead, nor do we appreciate accusations of such behavior. Maybe had you reread the article you would have realized your problems with it were imagined.

Lastly, PSM is a rag. Don't believe for a second that they are somehow, miraculously free of bias. If the PS systems quit selling, they'd be out of jobs. Hence, it's in their interests to help sell PS consoles and PS games.

LeroytheLucky
06-29-2005, 07:33 AM
bah just play WoW or EQ

ShaDovV RyDer
06-29-2005, 07:56 AM
Ya....about everything you just said...you're wrong. If you accually knew anything about this game you would know that it is going to have better graphics than the PC and PoS2's graphics. You would also know that there is going to be a bunch of new content including jobs, weapons, and some new clothing articles that you can put on your character.

Another thing I'm really sure you know pretty much nothing about is the Xbox 360. It's going to have a 20 gig harddrive right out of the box which is oh almost 3 times as much as the original Xbox. Now I'm not sure about you but at this point and time I would feel like a complete idiot.

Get your facts straight before posting in a forum like this or else you're probably going to get bashed for every post you make.

Just repeating most of what StudioAlex said.

mrmp3
06-29-2005, 09:55 PM
I did say the draw distance would be better, my bad if it's twice the PC and not the PS2. Point still is that doesn't factor into better character models, enviromental textures, etc.

Secondly, that stuff is only a possibility. It says possibility of new summon spells and "additional jobs". And now I hope I'm not misquoting (I'd look myself but the damn dropdown menu disappears behind the advertisements) but I could've sworn it's just FFXI with RotZ and CoP. I don't see how that means additional content. On top of that, Square-Enix was exclusively Sony since PS1, why wouldn't they give exclusive content on the PS2 version over the PC version? It just seems like whoever it was (not saying from this site since most of the time it's just cut & paste anyways) just moved that word possibility a few words over just to get people riled up.

As for objective journalism, I know it's a fan site, I'm just saying all the PS3 bashing seems below you guys who are known for good quality reporting. You don't need to make seperate news posts to know which system is better, just read the articles.

As for the HD, I could've sworn they were just gonna have 2 seperately priced 360 packages, one with and another without the HD. If I'm wrong then I made a big stank over nothing cuz just $20 more ain't that big of a deal.

*edit* think i formed a new opinion, cuz I did remember the whole cut & paste bit. So it's not like your the one that typed it. So sorry to step on your toes StudioAlex. Just the press-release on the Playonline website doesn't mention any of that. Guess I'm just waiting to hear it from their mouths cuz it still seems far fetched. Still no reason to get on your case. So my bad. Like I said I can't get the friggin drop down menu to appear in front of the banner, who was the source of that article?

ShaDovV RyDer
06-30-2005, 08:49 AM
OK. Here is all the info you need to know about FFXI. It may not be the source of the post on the XBA front page but it says everything you need to know about FFXI for the Xbox 360.

Everything you need to know about FFXI (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/622/622689p1.html)

Here is a sentence taken out of that article(it's already bold and I'm posting this in case you miss it):

The images included in this article are from the PS2 version of the game, and do not represent the visual upgrades that will exist on the 360.

TheCovenant
06-30-2005, 02:50 PM
mr. mp3, you just got owned. everythig you complained about was false, nd the article was not wrong. Longer draw distance means better graphics. How much btter? thats up to you, but it is better.

I also just saw an interview on g4 stating that the game would run in full HD 4xAA, something the ther two versions do not have.

also, i agree with the station bashnig on the front page. all thse "take that, sony!" and the whole, "some bastage at sony said" articles are childish. Then again, the opinion usually reflects the news (article), so that means that the industry is getting childish too.

Also, square-enix has not been playstation exclusive since ps1 because first off, square-enix wasn't around for ps1, it was just square, enix merged in 2003; and second of all, i spent a good deal of time with my buddies wandering through the world of crytal chronicals, and it wasn't a playstation controller i was holding.

IM sorry dude, but ive never seen anyone pwn someone as bad as studio just pwnd you.

mrmp3
07-05-2005, 03:16 PM
"In terms of game content, it looks as though Xbox 360 players will be able to look forward to everything the PS2 and Windows players currently have. While Tanaka won't specify exactly what will be included with the 360 version, he states that he hopes to get in everything up to the latest expansion pack, Chains of Promathia. Tanaka hopes to have updates available simultaneously for all versions in the future"

I knew that article sounded a bit funky. Anywayz, still sorry bout getting on your case earlier Alex.

Xaminor
07-22-2005, 12:41 AM
Since I'm the one you're calling a liar and a fanboy, I guess I'll defend "better graphics and more content" with quotes straight from the article. If any of the information has changed since the item was published, then it hasn't been made widely known.

Graphics:
Hiromichi-san claimed that the 360 version will offer a draw-distance twice that of the PC version

First, you're wrong about the draw distance being on par with the PC version. The article clearly states it will be twice that of the PC. Secondly, maybe you don't consider horizons, pop up, and draw in when you look at a game, but most people do.

As far as more content:
will feature an assortment of new content such as jobs and the possibility of new Summon magic spells

That's new content. Note the words new content followed by the description of what the new content will likely be; jobs and summoning spells.

Can you link where you got this info, or at least give me the source? Thanks in advance.

I did say the draw distance would be better, my bad if it's twice the PC and not the PS2. Point still is that doesn't factor into better character models, enviromental textures, etc.

ummmm, if anything the PC version has a farther draw distance than the PS 2 version and looks better than the PS 2 version in every other way, so the 360 version will probably look significantly better than the PS 2 version but that shouldn't be nearly as difficult to do as looking better than the PC version, which it apparently will.

vman
07-22-2005, 04:57 AM
I just gotta say that complaining about bias-journalism is just stupid. It is almost impossible to find unbias journalism. It is human nature to be bias and complaining about pro-xbox bias at an xbox site shows a lack of common sense. You will get bias wherever you go, that is how life is.

Also, you need to have your facts straight before you make any grievance of any kind. With incomplete or uninformed facts, you're just going to get shut down quickly and painfully.

mrmp3
07-23-2005, 05:05 PM
As for the bias, it's an Xbox site, of course it's gonna be bias towards Xbox. The part I was complaining about was all this anti-Sony stuff that was making the main page. You don't see the YES Network take every opportunity to bash The Red Sox do you? I honestly don't care if they report it, just I saw a lot of it on top of name calling so I just figured I'd post my displeasure for it. excuse a guy for having an opinion. Again, I don't have a problem with seeing it, just I felt there was a lot of it and not a lot of Xbox news. Why waste space name calling the lead guy in charge of PS for bashing the 360? There's a place for opinions, in opinion articles or columns, i.e. Rich's Padded Room (which btw last edition was a very good read), not in a news posting. That's just my opinion, I'm not starting a petiton against the site or anything. Bash away if you need to feel better about yourself though.

As for FFXI, my facts were right, I knew I read it somewhere before, and voila, IGN360 said in their article they are hoping to have all the content up to the release of Chains of Promanthia avaliable for launch (though that wasn't the place I originally read it). It would be unfair and probably piss current players of Vana'Diel that they are paying the same monthly fee but not getting the same content. It doesn't make sense. Again, I apologized to Alex cuz it wasn't like he wrote the article. But like I said earlier, I did m research, I knew that crap was bogus. So maybe you guys should do your research first.

I have no reason to argue any of this stuff anymore. I'm not here to start a war with XBA or any staff members (again Alex sorry for my poorly worded response to the article). The only thing I got owned about was the harddrive and the drawdistance. The graphics, I've seen ways on the internet to get the PC version up to 1600x1200 (meaning I know the game by default doesn't let you go that high but change around a .cfg* file and you can set it to that resolution). As for 4xAA, programs like Powerstrip can force AA and AF to run in programs that originally don't have options for it (as long as your vid card supports AA).

Brevity
07-23-2005, 06:52 PM
The only thing that would make this game "really" worth it is if the Xboxers didnt have an added fee above their normal live subscription, and the option to go to all XB servers. Or atleast NEW servers.

mrmp3
07-24-2005, 07:36 PM
The only thing that would make this game "really" worth it is if the Xboxers didnt have an added fee above their normal live subscription, and the option to go to all XB servers. Or atleast NEW servers.

Yea that would be nice. Nothing worse than getting partied with a white mage whose on a 56k modem and he doesn't heal you in time before the Gob Tinkerer ends your existence. I'd also like to see some sort of use with the XBL Communicator, like it could be used when your trading with somebody or your in a party. Think it would be helpful in both situations.

Brevity
07-24-2005, 10:28 PM
I had nearly two years in FFXI when I stopped. (Beta included) I own both the PC and PS2 versions and have more than one char and high lvls in nearly every job.

That said:

I think it would rock to be able to talk normaly with the head set when trading/allied/partied/leaving a message/near someone like action house.

I think they could find a way to dump the whole POL setup. Noone at all wants that lame ass card game they had with it.

It would be nice to give some much wanted extra jobs and regions for the lower lvls.
I am a BST at hart but I would love to see a Blue Mage class. As well as some of the other night classes. Adding a questable avatar to most or some classes would rock like a demon for the DRKs. Like the Wyvern for the DRGs.

Make max lvls 80 at least cus I would love to make my BST80/WHM40 pairing for so many reasons.

XB only servers would rock and give me a huge reason to come back again. Make those servers use XBL better.

More events.
More instances.

Making the grind smother by ending lvling down do to death in some way and there are other things dealing with death/lvling grind they could deal with.

ect.. I could go on forever on this. Its a great game but it could be so much better and really why play it if its going to be the same ol game on the same ol servers at the same ol price?

mrmp3
07-25-2005, 12:11 AM
Ah, nice to see old school gamers still remembering the blue mage class. Would defintely like that more than the Beastmaster.

I do agree, even at lvl15, the death penalty is very harsh. Anything above 28-30 you've pretty much lost a whole days work of leveling by dying once. It's one thing to have such a grind to get to that level but the fact if you get in one bad party and you die, you've essentially accomplished nothing (and at higher levels set yourself back worse than you started yourself at). I liked that they added the NPC quest where you can party with a NPC who can level with you and such. 2 problems though, A) it's a lvl 40 quest and B) it takes 25% of your exp and starts at lvl 1. Unless you switch to a lvl 1 class and use your NPC with it, it really doesn't have much of a use IMO.

And yea, as for POL, screw Tetra Master. "0o0o0o it's the card game from FFVIII, and now you can play it all you want for a $1 month...just after you buy FFXI." It's not like it prevents hacking and such anyways, people still upload their own macros and teleportion tools into the game (though they've been cracking down on it recently, or so they say).

And some of the advanced jobs (meaning you have to do quests to obtain) really need to be available at the start. The fact you have to do so much to obtain Bard, Beast Master, Dark Knight, Dragoon, Summoner, Paladin, Ranger, Ninja, and Samurai is pretty ridiculous. The game the first time through is fun till lvl15 or so, then repetition hits in and you have to slave through finding a good party, and then it doesn't get fun again until 35 and up (which to get to that point will take you a while).

On top of all this, the Promanthia content requires you to be a very high level to be able to experience anything on that from the armor to the bosses, etc. Not to mention, from what I hear, it takes hours for notorious monsters to respawn and people are constantly camping them. Not to mention, at least the point of the game I'm at, gil sellers camp out EMP's just to get their drops will sell for a **** load. GM's never do anything to stop them which is such crap.

But yea the game could be more, but as it stands, it's still decent, but more than anything, it's frustrating, and that just makes you want to quit playing so many times.

Just outta curiousity what MMO's have you played since then or are you playing now?

Brevity
07-25-2005, 06:34 AM
WOW a whole lot b4 stopping it too. Keeping with my BST roots I was a Hunter lvl 47 when I stopped.

Played COH for like a few min. Well actually I watched a friend play it. Lame right that I didnt play it but it just seems so beyond me. Other than that I have been playing a large amount of other games I missed out on over the years like I beat metroid prime 2, FFTA, Kirby DS, ect..