PDA

View Full Version : Biggest ****in blow to the heart for Sony!!!

ShaDovV RyDer
06-29-2005, 01:58 PM
According to a report issued by Merrill Lynch of Japan, Sony could lose as much as $1.18 billion on the PlayStation 3 in the first year on the market, potentially selling the game console at almost a $100 loss per unit. The report claims the console is expected to sell for $399, each one costing Sony $491 to manufacture.

Merrill Lynch of Japan estimates that the Cell processor, the Blu-ray Disc drive and the nVIDIA RSX chip will cost $100 each with the rest of the components and manufacturing costs taking the manufacturing price to ~$490.

If this happen to be true, Sony will face tough competition when it launches the PlayStation 3, with Microsoft having the option to lower the introductory price of the Xbox 360, as of yet unknown, to put pressure on PS3’s launch.

If by the time Sony releases the PlayStation 3, Microsoft offers a HD DVD upgrade, as suggested by Bill Gates this week, and Halo 3, then it could be a major advantage for the Redmond-based company in the next-generation console war.

YIPPY!!!!

Source (http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/8617/Analyst-Sony-to-Loose-1-Billion-on-the-PlayStation-3/)

Kyle Static
06-29-2005, 02:33 PM
You realize that Microsoft is selling the xbox for almost 100 less than it costs to manufacture them? Or at least was for a time period.

LiquidX
06-29-2005, 03:02 PM
True the Xbox sold for a loss, and so will the 360. All consoles lose money on manufacturing costs at launch. MS has deeper pockets so it wont hurt them as much. Im sure the PS3 wont be abandoned by Sony or anything, it's still gonna sell well and the loss will be made back on software sales.

Hangnail
06-29-2005, 06:07 PM
Is this supposed to be a problem? From the looks of it, the people that are going to buy a PS3, such as myself, should be happy. All I have to say is to buy it at the launch!

TheCovenant
06-29-2005, 06:55 PM
lol, the console wars ended in 2002 boys. Cheering on money loss is just dumb now, not to mention kyle static is totally right :)

mattgame
06-29-2005, 09:59 PM
Well, I hope they don't do too bad. I want the satisfaction of watching MS destroy them.

OC Noob
06-30-2005, 02:44 AM
This, if true, will hurt Sony a lot more than it did MS. Sony is much larger, but they are in bad finacial shape and the PS has been one of the few bright spots for them. MS has/had the capital to lose without it hurting too much. This will definitely hurt them, not too bad of course, but being in as bad a shape as they are it ain't gonna help.

I'll take one @ $400 though. Thats a decent price IMO. Of course, I'll have the 360 first and will buy more games for it because I prefer the western style games more that the eastern style games, but it won't hurt to have a Blu-Ray player even if I can't use it for anything for a year or so. Although, I would still prefer they used DVD and set the system price closer to $300. It seems counter productive to force Blu-ray on people when it doesn't even have a toe hold here in North America yet.

Whatever, like I said, $400 is much better than $500.

AlphaRaptor
06-30-2005, 08:42 AM
Why buy a PS3 is the question?

Better graphics? -no
Better games? -as far as I can tell, not at all
Better online? -Ummm no

Maybe I'm missing something...enlighten me?

ShaDovV RyDer
06-30-2005, 09:00 AM
The reason I think it's quite a blow to Sony is because like other people are saying Sony can't really afford to lose more than 1 billion dollars in their current state. I also think its of great significance that it's going to put MS in perfect striking distance as soon as the PS3 is out the door.

O yeah I also thought that MS would just lose 75 bucks per 360.

mattgame
06-30-2005, 11:08 AM
That's what I thought.

Hangnail
06-30-2005, 02:01 PM

Better graphics? -no
Better online? -Ummm no

The graphics for the PS3 are looking very good, my friend. Im not saying they blow the 360 out of the water, but they are right beside it.

And the games are looking very good as well. Im talking Killing Day, Killzone, MGS4, ect... And most of them are just for the ps3

Now for the online... XBL is better, but the PS2 was the only way for dail-up users, such as myself, could even get online. Not sure if the PS3 will suport dail-up, but one can only hope...

TheCovenant
06-30-2005, 02:57 PM
And the games are looking very good as well. Im talking Killing Day, Killzone, MGS4, ect... And most of them are just for the ps3

That is the smartest thing anyone has ever said about anything.

MatrixMaul
07-02-2005, 02:02 AM
EVER!!!

edit: Im not going to buy a PS3. Instead, I'll be buying Halo 3 and laughing at the losers shelling out their 400 bucks. I'll be enjoying the chief. :hardcore: wewt!

TheCovenant
07-02-2005, 08:06 PM
enjoying the cheif? you couldn't think of a more homosexual way of expressing that? enjoying the cheif?

MatrixMaul
07-02-2005, 10:04 PM
i coulda said i'd be hanging out with you that day. thats a bit more homosexual. HIYO!

Hangnail
07-03-2005, 12:05 AM
Ok, I admit that does look pretty stupid...

vman
07-03-2005, 01:54 AM
we shouldnt focus on money loss per console. we should focus on price for conumers. 360 will be 300 while ps3 costing 400 (allegedly). this is a major advantage for the box and MS. even if you get the $360 special package, you still end up saving 40 bucks. this is so awesome.

Flame Sword8
07-03-2005, 08:45 PM
Microsoft is going to be alot better this year in sells, not only will it be 100 bucks cheaper (40 on special package) than the ps3, but it will also come out sooner unlike the last time when they were 2 year late for the punch.

Not to mention the better online service and free xbox live to everyone with internet connection on weekends.You get your on profile that has your acomplishment like beating halo2 or halo3 legendary.

ShaDovV RyDer
07-03-2005, 09:08 PM
even if you get the $360 special package

What special are you guys talking about??? I havn't seen anything about a special yet???

Nurb
07-04-2005, 01:37 AM
one thing they dont mention is the money they make on accessories, THAT is where all the profit is. retail stores buy them for less than half of what retail price is, and they are worth half of that of what the stores pay for them, so they can make the money back easy with 30 dollar controllers and memory cards.

no one's losing money overall.

Better graphics? -no
Better online? -Ummm no

none of that matters if the PS3 still has developer preference. Xbox STILL gets the shaft when it comes to multi-platform games as it is, so unless MS does something, I don't think we'll see many next gen multi-platform that exploit Xbox Next's hardware yet again, my friend

OC Noob
07-04-2005, 12:00 PM
one thing they dont mention is the money they make on accessories, THAT is where all the profit is. retail stores buy them for less than half of what retail price is, and they are worth half of that of what the stores pay for them, so they can make the money back easy with 30 dollar controllers and memory cards.

no one's losing money overall.

none of that matters if the PS3 still has developer preference. Xbox STILL gets the shaft when it comes to multi-platform games as it is, so unless MS does something, I don't think we'll see many next gen multi-platform that exploit Xbox Next's hardware yet again, my friend

That doesn't make sense. The PS3 and 360 should be roughly equivlent, so we won't be getting games toned down like we did with multiplatform games developed to run on the PS2. Also, if you are refering to pre-PS3 games are developed/ported specifically for the 360 to take advantage of its power. There are a few multiplatform games that you can find being developed right now and the 360 version is of course much better than the rest. They use crappy textures, cut features and things like that so it'll run on the PS2/Xbox/GC.

MS had to do something to force console devs to get off their fat @sses and use pixel shading and things like that. What they did was release the 360 this year and its working. Developers can't put a crappy PS2 game on the 360 without getting laughed/run out of the business.