PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 and PS3 Have Poor CPU Performance

Shadow20002
07-01-2005, 12:43 PM
Sony's PS3 and Microsoft's Xbox 360 will not be as powerful as their technical specifications - and clever marketing - make out when they land in your living room, according to technical experts.

In an article on website Anandtech the author explains why the two next-gen consoles will not be as powerful in 'real terms' (i.e. when they actually have to crunch games) as they may seem from the specs touted by Sony and Microsoft.

Anandtech ultimately surmises that both consoles will be around as powerful as each other. On top of that bombshell, it's suggested that neither next-gen console will offer the advances in power-draining areas like game physics we were expecting.

Source@ (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/r/?page=http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story.php(que)id=121253)

ShaDovV RyDer
07-01-2005, 04:01 PM
I'm not going to believe this until I have the 360 in my hands.

Double_Diablo
07-01-2005, 09:01 PM
I'm not going to believe this until I have the 360 in my hands.
Same. Rumours and speculations. That's all it is.

>d3moniclegend<
07-01-2005, 09:38 PM
just rumors..im with ShaDovV on this one

OC Noob
07-01-2005, 09:50 PM
I like anand's site, but he left out a few things and just got one thing seriously wrong.

He said a great game will sell hundreds of millions of consoles refering to the PS2, but they did n't even sell 100 million.

He also didn't mention the huge bandwidth advantage these consoles have over PCs, nor did he take into account the advantages it offers in performance.

He blew off multiple threaded games and only considered performance of a single thread, while MS has tools for developing multiple threaded games.

He allegedly has industry sources that are giving him real world performance info, but no developers have PS3 hardware and developers are just getting 360 hardware, so how can he claim they are feeding him all of this info about CPU/GPU performance.

Sounds like a PC guy that is bitter because consoles have taken a performance advantage. He can really put a spin on the tech stuff and could very well be right, but I think his omitions and assumptions are just as far off as MS and Sony's claims.

We'll see once the hardware is out of a generation of games or so once devs have figured out the systems and how best to code for them.

Who knows, he could be right, but as we know, consoles don't need to wait for PC tech to improve. Thus, we don't have to wait for PC's to use multiple threads before we see it done on next gen consoles and I think his lack of willingness to consider multithreaded performance will throw his predictions off.

ps he also doesn't mention that console code is much more efficient than running a windows based game and thus the processing power required to run them isn't equal in a pound for pound sense.

>d3moniclegend<
07-01-2005, 10:17 PM
wow god dam your smart about this OC Noob you have seemed to have proven that this is upmost a very big rumor...

Stormlord
07-01-2005, 11:30 PM
Well he may be right but it's just speculation. There hasn't been any real world testing with these CPUs so you don't know how strong it is. Bandwidth wise consoles are more efficient than PCs. So if the CPUs don't calculate as fast as they claim, they can get a boatload of information moved in just 1 cycle. Also the CPUs not advancing anything taxing like physics is just wrong. If PS2 can do physics close to what's on Xbox and PC then I think something that is atleast 2 times more powerful than Xbox can push physics to new boundaries. We'll just have to wait till Fall of this year to see if all next-gen consoles are what they claim to be. Xbox 360 will be close to launch, PS3 would be finalized, and Nintendo should reveal its "revolutionary" plan.

TheCovenant
07-01-2005, 11:58 PM
yea, oc noob is known for being really tech savvy, but a total noob when it comes to the social arena. Just go in the alan wake thread...

Stryder504
07-02-2005, 12:25 AM
now that the 360 beta kits are out we will start to hear what the developers really think.
Itagaki says that the multi-threads do seem to make programming more difficult, but more rewarding, and would have actually preferred a next-gen disc format.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/07/01/news_6128504.html

I didn't think that disc space was that big a concern, but if it came from Itagaki :hail: , it must be true

>d3moniclegend<
07-02-2005, 12:29 AM
hmmm...this just gets me thinking

Hangnail
07-02-2005, 01:00 AM
You can't trust anything at these sites anymore... The only stuff we can rely on is the stuff posted by M$ themselfs. I'm not trusting anything until it is official.

OC Noob
07-04-2005, 12:14 PM
yea, oc noob is known for being really tech savvy, but a total noob when it comes to the social arena. Just go in the alan wake thread...

Tech stuff is a fun hobby and dealing with people in person is easy.

Its people on forums that can get very frustrating. I'm sure it comes off the wrong way and my frustration is apperant, but I'm just trying to get people to think instead of believing everything they hear.

I'll try and stay away from flame wars with Star Wars nerds in the future;)

now that the 360 beta kits are out we will start to hear what the developers really think.
Itagaki says that the multi-threads do seem to make programming more difficult, but more rewarding, and would have actually preferred a next-gen disc format.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/07/01/news_6128504.html

I didn't think that disc space was that big a concern, but if it came from Itagaki :hail: , it must be true

Thats a good article. I would think they'll use 2 DVDs for the game if their cutscenes are that large.

J4320
07-04-2005, 08:42 PM
You can't trust anything at these sites anymore... The only stuff we can rely on is the stuff posted by M$ themselfs. I'm not trusting anything until it is official.

Yeah, but I'm not expecting for the xbox360 to be a super computer. So in some sense they are right.

vman
07-05-2005, 12:03 AM
whatever! as long as it plays good games! i dont care how many times my xbox flops when i press the trigger! wtf!?

Variation-XBA
07-05-2005, 01:18 AM
I still don't understand why people think the specs of a system define what it is.

Stryder504
07-05-2005, 07:04 PM
It somewhat does define what it is. If it plays and stores music and videos, and can play dvds, it can be considered a "media center". PS2 punks called the XBOX a computer just cause it had a hard drive, and nintendo calls the gamecube a game machine cause it can't do anything else.

So the tech defines what the system can do, what the system can do defines what the games can do, so in a way the tech defines what the games will be like ;) . I'm waiting for custom soundtracks in everygame on the 360 :cheers: .

ShannonX
07-05-2005, 07:29 PM
every console maker over exagerates their consoles performance. Remember that ps2 was supposed to have toy story graphics? Sure has been a long wait for those graphics.... *yawn*

J4320
07-05-2005, 09:48 PM
Woah, toy story graphics? They fell pretty far from that.

mattgame
07-05-2005, 09:55 PM
I like anand's site, but he left out a few things and just got one thing seriously wrong.

He said a great game will sell hundreds of millions of consoles refering to the PS2, but they did n't even sell 100 million.

He also didn't mention the huge bandwidth advantage these consoles have over PCs, nor did he take into account the advantages it offers in performance.

He blew off multiple threaded games and only considered performance of a single thread, while MS has tools for developing multiple threaded games.

He allegedly has industry sources that are giving him real world performance info, but no developers have PS3 hardware and developers are just getting 360 hardware, so how can he claim they are feeding him all of this info about CPU/GPU performance.

Sounds like a PC guy that is bitter because consoles have taken a performance advantage. He can really put a spin on the tech stuff and could very well be right, but I think his omitions and assumptions are just as far off as MS and Sony's claims.

We'll see once the hardware is out of a generation of games or so once devs have figured out the systems and how best to code for them.

Who knows, he could be right, but as we know, consoles don't need to wait for PC tech to improve. Thus, we don't have to wait for PC's to use multiple threads before we see it done on next gen consoles and I think his lack of willingness to consider multithreaded performance will throw his predictions off.

ps he also doesn't mention that console code is much more efficient than running a windows based game and thus the processing power required to run them isn't equal in a pound for pound sense.

You are a g-d of intellect. Will you school me?

Whisper
07-05-2005, 10:22 PM
Without looking at any specs (honestly I can't tell you what is in these things), I have a feeling that the systems will be better then the previous gen, but will not blow them away.. and games will not be funner as the previous gen games. That's just how I see this shaping out. The race will be to who develops better games, how many of them, and who has a better online service.

I believe the Sony will once again offer more games, and more good exclusives. As well as have better games overall.. but once again Microsoft will be on top of the online gaming.

I just don't see this gen being earth shattering.

OC Noob
07-06-2005, 06:06 PM
You are a g-d of intellect. Will you school me?

lol, try ocforums.com at the overclockers.com web site. I know about .1% of what some of those guys know.

Its a killer site for all things computer and its a fun hobby if you've got a few bucks to blow. It is to PCs what this site is to Xbox.

me = dumb@ss

overclockers.com = g-ds of intellect

Watch out though, theres a bit of an anti-console element there (just a bit).