PDA

View Full Version : The Game Console Market: A Ruthless World!



DOOM
02-17-2002, 09:51 AM
With the Xbox, Microsoft wants to establish itself in the console arena. The technology, as well as the programming, has been borrowed from the PC, but nevertheless, it is not merely a computer that has been modified. It really is a new video game concept. If you want to know everything that is going on here-the technology, the games, the programming and the accessories, this article bares all. We will introduce all aspects of the new console to you and, in particular, unveil its capacities. Furthermore, you will find a selection of the best games and a specialist's opinion of the programming. Of course, we have compared it to the PS and Playstation 2 ...

CHECK IT OUT HERE:
http://www4.tomshardware.com/consumer/02q1/020204/index.html

Shadow Fox
02-17-2002, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by DOOM
With the Xbox, Microsoft wants to establish itself in the console arena. The technology, as well as the programming, has been borrowed from the PC, but nevertheless, it is not merely a computer that has been modified. It really is a new video game concept. If you want to know everything that is going on here-the technology, the games, the programming and the accessories, this article bares all. We will introduce all aspects of the new console to you and, in particular, unveil its capacities. Furthermore, you will find a selection of the best games and a specialist's opinion of the programming. Of course, we have compared it to the PS and Playstation 2 ...

CHECK IT OUT HERE:
http://www4.tomshardware.com/consumer/02q1/020204/index.html Nice CTRL+C, CTRL+V job there.

So, the Xbox's aclaimed "T&L" is fixed, just like the GameCube's? And the SDK funtions only "point" to the shader programs? No wonder both systems perform the same...;)

-Official Ninja of XboxAddict

Frostberg
02-17-2002, 11:29 AM
lol my fav part of the article...
Now, let us answer THE big question: "Should I buy or not?" For young children, the GameCube would certainly be a better fit.

Shadow Fox
02-17-2002, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Frostberg
lol my fav part of the article...
Now, let us answer THE big question: "Should I buy or not?" For young children, the GameCube would certainly be a better fit. lol, ya, it seems that most media sites are either Xbox fanboys or deaf- Nintendo has stated many times since Fall 2001 that Nintendos' core audience is Everyone, like the Xbox and PS2 were listed as in this article. Go fig- maybe some of these reporters and columists are just stubborn...;)

-Official Ninja of XboxAddict

StudioAlex
02-17-2002, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Shadow Fox
lol, ya, it seems that most media sites are either Xbox fanboys or deaf- Nintendo has stated many times since Fall 2001 that Nintendos' core audience is Everyone, like the Xbox and PS2 were listed as in this article. Go fig- maybe some of these reporters and columists are just stubborn...;)

-Official Ninja of XboxAddict

Just because Nintendo says a thing doesn't mean you should take it for truth. The fact remains that their line up still appears to be predominantly kid friendly. It's only logical for Nintendo to say its core audience will be everyone, as to do otherwise would be bad business. And the RE franchise doesn't change this, it is an exception to a general rule. Just as if a MArio-esque game were to be released for the Xbox. I for one don't care as I want to buy GameCube as soon as I get the funds but I'm not going to delude myself into thinking I'll be getting the same kind of stuff from it as I will my Xbox. Games are games and should be fun before any age group is identified with them, and Nintendo always makes fun games.

Shadow Fox
02-17-2002, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by StudioAlex


Just because Nintendo says a thing doesn't mean you should take it for truth. The fact remains that their line up still appears to be predominantly kid friendly. It's only logical for Nintendo to say its core audience will be everyone, as to do otherwise would be bad business. And the RE franchise doesn't change this, it is an exception to a general rule. Just as if a MArio-esque game were to be released for the Xbox. I for one don't care as I want to buy GameCube as soon as I get the funds but I'm not going to delude myself into thinking I'll be getting the same kind of stuff from it as I will my Xbox. Games are games and should be fun before any age group is identified with them, and Nintendo always makes fun games. Then don't "delude" yourself, just know that other than your "exception to the general rule", there's Take-Two, Rare, Silicon Knights, ID software, Naughty Dog, Konami, Tecmo, and several other developers doing mature rated titles for GCN. That's alot of "exceptions".

I don't even feel like getting into this; people see what they want to see; not Agent Under Fire, Smuggler's Run 2, Rainbow Six and other titles on the systems...whatever. Exactly how many kid-friendly games are there for GCN? I'd be pleased if you'd list them...

*walks away shaking head*

-Official Ninja of XboxAddict

gula
02-17-2002, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Shadow Fox
Then don't "delude" yourself, just know that other than your "exception to the general rule", there's Take-Two, Rare, Silicon Knights, ID software, Naughty Dog, Konami, Tecmo, and several other developers doing mature rated titles for GCN. That's alot of "exceptions".

I don't even feel like getting into this; people see what they want to see; not Agent Under Fire, Smuggler's Run 2, Rainbow Six and other titles on the systems...whatever. Exactly how many kid-friendly games are there for GCN? I'd be pleased if you'd list them...

*walks away shaking head*

-Official Ninja of XboxAddict

Naughty Dog - Isn't that a PlayStation only developer?

Tecmo - What games are they making for GameCube?

Xboxfan123
02-17-2002, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Shadow Fox
lol, ya, it seems that most media sites are either Xbox fanboys or deaf- Nintendo has stated many times since Fall 2001 that Nintendos' core audience is Everyone, like the Xbox and PS2 were listed as in this article. Go fig- maybe some of these reporters and columists are just stubborn...;)

-Official Ninja of XboxAddict

No matter how many times the GC is reported to be for kids the Nintendo fans (I won't call you a fanboy because you have said one or two good things about the Xbox) always try in vain to argue about it.:o

Shadow Fox
02-17-2002, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by -gula


Naughty Dog - Isn't that a PlayStation only developer?

Tecmo - What games are they making for GameCube? Nope, they are reportedly doing two mature titles for GCN, and Crash Bandicoot for Xbox. Tecmo announced development for GameCube back @ E3. More than likely it will be PS2-to-GCN port of their RE clone Fatal Frame, since the Xbox exclusitivity deal is still active.

And Xboxfan, it is a waste of time arguing about something the mainstream public won't change. Well hell, that's the majority of gamers nowadays anyway- just take a look at the amount of Xbox fans here; all typical, "must get the new technology, or I'm lame" or "Nintendo screwed me with N64; I want revenge"-types. Observe most of the posts here like I have- this board is full of trend-followers. If I am wrong, please correct me.;)

-Official Ninja of XboxAddict

Xboxfan123
02-17-2002, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Shadow Fox
Nope, they are reportedly doing two mature titles for GCN, and Crash Bandicoot for Xbox. Tecmo announced development for GameCube back @ E3. More than likely it will be PS2-to-GCN port of their RE clone Fatal Frame, since the Xbox exclusitivity deal is still active.

And Xboxfan, it is a waste of time arguing about something the mainstream public won't change. Well hell, that's the majority of gamers nowadays anyway- just take a look at the amount of Xbox fans here; all typical, "must get the new technology, or I'm lame" or "Nintendo screwed me with N64; I want revenge"-types. Observe most of the posts here like I have- this board is full of trend-followers. If I am wrong, please correct me.;)

-Official Ninja of XboxAddict

It's not about trends. Tell me you say you have an Xbox. Why did YOU buy one?
Yes I got burned by the N64. I also had a Nintendo, Super Nintendo as well as the N64. So if you bought, for example, three Ford cars and got burned badly on the last one would you buy Ford again or maybe try the competition?

IMO Nintendo just rehashes alot of their old games and just puts a new twist on it. Their smart they know it sells. Tom's Hardware is not a biased Xbox site are they? GC is new technology too so it's not that people want to look cool it's just that the Xbox seems to be the better console of the three. Saying that we are all trend followers is like me going to the Nintendo site and saying that on their forum...Too lame... But thanks for labelling all of us anyways.

gula
02-17-2002, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Shadow Fox
Nope, they are reportedly doing two mature titles for GCN, and Crash Bandicoot for Xbox. Tecmo announced development for GameCube back @ E3. More than likely it will be PS2-to-GCN port of their RE clone Fatal Frame, since the Xbox exclusitivity deal is still active.

-Official Ninja of XboxAddict

Hmm...just to tell you, Crash Bandicoot (the new one) isn't made by Naughty Dog. The rights were sold to Univeral Interactive. And Naughty Dog made Jax and Daxter....

Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex
Publisher: Universal Interactive Developer: Traveller's Tales

Shadow Fox
02-18-2002, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Xboxfan123


It's not about trends. Tell me you say you have an Xbox. Why did YOU buy one? I bought an Xbox because I like all games, and I wasn't going to buy a PS2 AGAIN. I had already planned to have more than one next-gen console since Fall 2000, if you must know.

Yes I got burned by the N64. I also had a Nintendo, Super Nintendo as well as the N64. So if you bought, for example, three Ford cars and got burned badly on the last one would you buy Ford again or maybe try the competition?Depends on YOUR preference and why you got an N64. No point in blaming Ford for their frame chassis if you're the one who crashed into a tree. Nice analogy, and nice try; but if N64 "burned" you, that's no more Nintendo's fault than your own.
IMO Nintendo just rehashes alot of their old games and just puts a new twist on it. Their smart they know it sells. Tom's Hardware is not a biased Xbox site are they? GC is new technology too so it's not that people want to look cool it's just that the Xbox seems to be the better console of the three. Saying that we are all trend followers is like me going to the Nintendo site and saying that on their forum...Too lame... But thanks for labelling all of us anyways. I see this all too much, yet no one would complain if Halo 2 or GTA3 was announced for Xbox. Both are sequels, and will most like revamp an already used 3d engine and characters, just like the Capcom, Konami, Tecmo, Namco, and Sony franchises do. It's not just Nintendo- it's the entire industry. Sequels work, and the only reason Microsoft hasn't done this is because it's new. Again, nice try; but I've heard this invalid complaint one too many times.

And BTW, I had no intention of labeling anyone here, but people that still think that GameCube's raw polygon count is 12-15mps and not 90-120mps, and that the system is "made" for kids obviously haven't taken the time to read up on the console, showing a lack of interest in Nintendo, who happens to be one of the greatest software makers in the world. So don't give me that "we are true gamers" bull- if it were true, you wouldn't have to "side" with any company- just play the d@mn games.

To anyone else that feels they've been "burned" by Nintendo 64 (so typical):

The news of DMA/Rockstar cancelling GTA3 until further notice "burned" you, right? So if this game was to finally be released for Xbox, would you boycott it to "stay with the competition"?

-Official Ninja of XboxAddict

X-Factor
02-18-2002, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Shadow Fox
no one would complain if Halo 2 or GTA3 was announced for Xbox.
Who in their right mind would???;)

X-Factor
02-18-2002, 03:00 PM
Oh yeah; GTA3 was announced for Xbox by RockStar themselves at one point in time.

That's why you can find the game on most sites release date lists. Not to mention you can pre-order the game on many major sites.

Shadow Fox
02-18-2002, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by X-Factor
Oh yeah; GTA3 was announced for Xbox by RockStar themselves at one point in time.

That's why you can find the game on most sites release date lists. Not to mention you can pre-order the game on many major sites. True, but the game was also said to be under wraps until the Sony marketing was through, which may be until as late as this summer- in that case, the game would HAVE to be reannounced.

-Official Ninja of XboxAddict

manboy
02-18-2002, 03:32 PM
I bought Xbox because I hate Nintendo games. I hate the Metroids, Mario's, Star Foxes, and Zeldas. I can get more and better sports and racing titles on Xbox (is there any other reason to buy consoles?). I hate the PS2 Final Fantasies, and other similar games (the only reason to buy a PS2). My choice was pretty simple.

How's that for non-trendy?

X-Factor
02-18-2002, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Shadow Fox
True, but the game was also said to be under wraps until the Sony marketing was through, which may be until as late as this summer- in that case, the game would HAVE to be reannounced.

-Official Ninja of XboxAddict
I think the same goes for MGSX. MGSX will stay behind closed doors until Sony is done marketing the game.

But I doubt either game will come out until sometime this summer. And who knows; by that time GTA4 and/or MGS3 could be announced.:confused:

Shadow Fox
02-18-2002, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by manboy
I bought Xbox because I hate Nintendo games. I hate the Metroids, Mario's, Star Foxes, and Zeldas. I can get more and better sports and racing titles on Xbox (is there any other reason to buy consoles?). I hate the PS2 Final Fantasies, and other similar games (the only reason to buy a PS2). My choice was pretty simple.

How's that for non-trendy? You're trendy. True you can get more racing titles on Xbox, but as far as sports, it's best you get some more information before you make that assumption; I'm not listing them all here.;)

In fact, the only sports titles PS2 or GameCube DON'T have are the EA racing titles, and PS2 has one of those already. As for them being "better", that can't be determined in this state of PS2 ports; basically everything you've bragged about in your post was already on PS2 before you even got your Xbox. Very trendy indeed.

-Official Ninja of XboxAddict

X-Factor
02-18-2002, 03:59 PM
Well the PS2 never had NFL Fever, or NBA Inside Drive. I love both of those games!

Shadow Fox
02-18-2002, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by X-Factor
Well the PS2 never had NFL Fever, or NBA Inside Drive. I love both of those games! I love Fever, but NBA Inside Drive? IMO, I've had a much better experience with NBA2k2 and Courtside 2002...

http://members.aol.com/tswanace/joneal.jpg

Peeps be ballin' on the 'Cube!!! lol....

-Official Ninja of XboxAddict

Xboxfan123
02-18-2002, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Shadow Fox
I bought an Xbox because I like all games, and I wasn't going to buy a PS2 AGAIN. I had already planned to have more than one next-gen console since Fall 2000, if you must know.[/b]Depends on YOUR preference and why you got an N64. No point in blaming Ford for their frame chassis if you're the one who crashed into a tree. Nice analogy, and nice try; but if N64 "burned" you, that's no more Nintendo's fault than your own.I see this all too much, yet no one would complain if Halo 2 or GTA3 was announced for Xbox. Both are sequels, and will most like revamp an already used 3d engine and characters, just like the Capcom, Konami, Tecmo, Namco, and Sony franchises do. It's not just Nintendo- it's the entire industry. Sequels work, and the only reason Microsoft hasn't done this is because it's new. Again, nice try; but I've heard this invalid complaint one too many times.

And BTW, I had no intention of labeling anyone here, but people that still think that GameCube's raw polygon count is 12-15mps and not 90-120mps, and that the system is "made" for kids obviously haven't taken the time to read up on the console, showing a lack of interest in Nintendo, who happens to be one of the greatest software makers in the world. So don't give me that "we are true gamers" bull- if it were true, you wouldn't have to "side" with any company- just play the d@mn games.

To anyone else that feels they've been "burned" by Nintendo 64 (so typical):

The news of DMA/Rockstar cancelling GTA3 until further notice "burned" you, right? So if this game was to finally be released for Xbox, would you boycott it to "stay with the competition"?

-Official Ninja of XboxAddict [/B]

Just wondering how it's my fault that N64's failed? I faithfully bought the console and several games. So I put alot of money into that console. What more could I have done?

I don't know much about raw polygon counts but I do know that with the N64 they should not have had a cartridge based system. Nintendo is paranoid about piracy and that's why they didn't use regular sized CD's in the GC which to me is a mistake again. It's laughable that you blame me in part for the N64's failure since I supported it with my hard earned cash.

Yes no one would complain if the Xbox came out with GTA3 or Halo 2 but if they kept rehashing it 10 years from now it would get old just like alot of Nintendo's games. You mention siding with companies? You say your a true gamer but you sure appear to be pro Nintendo. I guess you will just say your defending it right. Sort of a modern day Robin Hood of the console industry.

Frostberg
02-18-2002, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Xboxfan123
if they kept rehashing it 10 years from now it would get old just like alot of Nintendo's games.

Theres the best fact ive heard all day....How old is Mario? Like 25 at least...no wonder i have gotten sick of him...hopefully we still wont see master chief by the time the 5th reincatnation of xbox rolls around...

Xboxfan123
02-18-2002, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Frostberg


Theres the best fact ive heard all day....How old is Mario? Like 25 at least...no wonder i have gotten sick of him...hopefully we still wont see master chief by the time the 5th reincatnation of xbox rolls around...

I would say the same thing if MS came out with Super Smash Halo, Halo Mansion, Halo Sunshine, Halo Kart etc. Nintendo needs some new fresh games. I think even D!ck Clark played Mario as a kid.

l Maximus l
02-18-2002, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Xboxfan123


I would say the same thing if MS came out with HaloKart, Halo Mansion, Halo Sunshine, SuperHalo3 etc. Nintendo needs some new fresh games.

hehehe! Dude, XBoxfan...that was nice!!

How about: Paper Halo, Halo brothers, Super Halo Brothers, Super Halo 64, Smash Halo brothers, Super Smash Halo Melee, and Halo Party :D

Got to give you credit, though...hehehe...that was awesome! :D

Xboxfan123
02-18-2002, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Maximus


hehehe! Dude, XBoxfan...that was nice!!

How about: Paper Halo, Halo brothers, Super Halo Brothers, Super Halo 64, Smash Halo brothers, Super Smash Halo Melee, and Halo Party :D

Got to give you credit, though...hehehe...that was awesome! :D

Hey Max:

If we keep this up we could add 10 pages to this thread easily! Added the D!ck Clark thingy. Thought it was fitting.:p

fear_this
02-18-2002, 06:35 PM
Halo, the ocarina of time. Halomin. And you cant forget Halo tennis. :D

gula
02-18-2002, 06:52 PM
Halo Golf

Halo RPG

:cool: :D :cool:

Frostberg
02-18-2002, 06:54 PM
as long as I dont see master chief dress up anytime soon ill be happy

l Maximus l
02-18-2002, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Xboxfan123


Hey Max:

If we keep this up we could add 10 pages to this thread easily! Added the D!ck Clark thingy. Thought it was fitting.:p

hehe...nice, dude! No kidding!

How about: The Legend of Halo and Halo II: A Halo to the Past :D

Shadow Fox
02-18-2002, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Xboxfan123


Just wondering how it's my fault that N64's failed? I faithfully bought the console and several games. So I put alot of money into that console. What more could I have done? Who ever said the N64 "failed"? Myself and many more people don't feel this way; maybe it's because we got the games we wanted for it, and liked them. I guess you didn't buy the games you wanted, or couldn't get them on N64 (probably PSX exclusives that are STILL PS2/PSX exclusive). Sounds like you should've gotten a PS2...

I don't know much about raw polygon counts but I do know that with the N64 they should not have had a cartridge based system. Nintendo is paranoid about piracy and that's why they didn't use regular sized CD's in the GC which to me is a mistake again. It's laughable that you blame me in part for the N64's failure since I supported it with my hard earned cash.To you it's a mistake, to Nintendo it means less piracy, little to no loadtimes, oodles of coding space, and more developers coming thier way because of those facts (along with the easy development cycle). This is bad?
Yes no one would complain if the Xbox came out with GTA3 or Halo 2 but if they kept rehashing it 10 years from now it would get old just like alot of Nintendo's games. You mention siding with companies? You say your a true gamer but you sure appear to be pro Nintendo. I guess you will just say your defending it right. Sort of a modern day Robin Hood of the console industry. So I take it you won't buy Madden, Sonic, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat 5, CastleVania, Phantasy Star Online, Metal Gear Solid X, or Doom 3- those games all have been around for 10 years or more (1992+). You bashing Nintendo only is very biased. What about Konami's Gradius? And Tecmo bringing back Ninja Gaiden? I never hear complaints about this; yet they are doing the same thing Nintendo is doing- making money off their franchises. If you were them, you'd do the same d@mn thing.

Maybe you didn't pay attention to the point that Microsoft hasn't been around long enough to "rehash" games- and they'd do it too if it meant a bigger paycheck. Speaking of "rehashes", since when does taking an imaginary 2d character and putting it into a 3d world, changing the entire graphical style, and changing the entire environment make a game a "rehash"? To me (and anyone else with common sense), that's a new game, with a familiar character.

Why do I not hear complaints of DOA3 being a rehash? The only thing added to the gameplay was two new characters; and even the motion-captures are still the same...yuck.

-Official Ninja of XboxAddict

l Maximus l
02-19-2002, 12:17 AM
hehehe...my wife is here reading this thread and she thought of a really good one:

How about PokeHalo :D