PDA

View Full Version : XBOX and XBOX 360 games

gt12
07-13-2005, 02:22 PM
Will xbox games be compatible with xbox 360 :hail: (PLZ SAY YES!!!)

laughs
07-13-2005, 02:45 PM
My God yes!

Hangnail
07-13-2005, 03:18 PM
Only the best selling XBOX games will be compatible with the 360.

J4320
07-13-2005, 03:21 PM
Will xbox games be compatible with xbox 360 :hail: (PLZ SAY YES!!!)

I said yes because you asked me to.

OC Noob
07-14-2005, 04:10 AM
I say no just because its such an overrated feature. Its not like people throw out their old consoles when they get new ones, so they can just as easily play those games on their old systems.

Its a nice feature to have, but (even if I didn't own the system) its not like I can't go buy a N64 for $20 to play its games since the GC can't play them. My friends and I don't usually play older games when there are newer, much improved curent gen options out there either. Anything classic can usually be played on an emulator or a $20 system like the N64.

I see what you're saying, but I can play Halo 2 just as easily on my Xboxes as I can my 360 (when I get it) and it means less wear and tear on the newer systems too.

Either way, it sounds like MS will be doing software emulating so we have a good chance of having 90%+ backwards compatibility with the 360.

ps I must be a total oddball, because no one ever mentions using their old system to play its games instead of relying on backwards compatibility.

Unreal
07-14-2005, 06:21 PM
I am lookiing for the article. But MS just signed a deal with NVidia to be able to copy patents with Nvidia's card in the first Xbox. Which MS will do via software.
http://biz.gamedaily.com/features.asp?article_id=9761&filter=

Some details have trickled out, though, courtesy of Wedbush Morgan Securities analyst Michael Pachter. In a recent research note, Pachter confirms that Microsoft "has agreed to pay a small royalty to Nvidia to allow the Xbox 360's ATI chipset to emulate the performance of the Nvidia chipset in reading certain Xbox games." Nvidia, therefore, will not only be receiving royalties from its partnership with Sony for the PS3, but it will also still get small payments from Microsoft for every 360 despite the fact that Nvidia is no longer the GPU provider.

Apparently, for Xbox games that are written in a single layer (which MS management believes to be most of the Xbox library) the emulation should be pretty smooth. The smaller percentage of Xbox titles that are written in multiple layers will require "patches" (separate emulation programs) in order to work. Pachter says that Microsoft currently plans to sell the 360 with these patches already pre-loaded on the included 20GB hard drive. It is also conceivable that any additional patches for other Xbox games could be easily downloaded over Xbox Live.

Therefore, taking this information at face value, consumers can expect the vast majority of Xbox games to be playable on the 360. "We presume that the majority of Xbox games will be backward compatible, and the company assured us that it intends to add patches should consumer demand warrant such action," notes Pachter.

As for the price of the Xbox 360, one report has already quoted J Allard saying that it would be "in the neighborhood" of $300. Pachter says that Microsoft management told him that "neither you nor consumers will be shocked [by the price]." And more recently, although not officially confirmed by MS, analysts at investment bank UBS told Toronto's Globe and Mail that the Xbox 360 would indeed ship for $299 when it launches later this year. It's believed that each 360 hardware unit will actually be subsidized about $75 so that Microsoft can hit the sub $300 price target, meaning that MS would dole out $375 per console to its manufacturing partners.
So points I thought I would post.

FB-Gollum
07-15-2005, 08:11 PM
Generally, having backwards compatibiltiy helps in the first few months while there's only a handful of launch titles available. Soon enough though it becomes useless as you have a library of newer better games and everything else seems obsolete. Kinda like how Halo feels after playing Halo 2 (just kidding I swear! *ducks oncoming flying debris*).

gt12
07-15-2005, 09:51 PM
So say i have San Andreas, IM GOING TO HAVE TO PAY $60 FOR A NEW SAN ANDREAS? :mad:

if thats the case...Bill Gates has enough money already,now hes going to be a
T-R-I-L-L-I-O-N-A-I-R-E $1,000,000,000,000
wat an a-s-s

Unreal
07-15-2005, 11:28 PM
So say i have San Andreas, IM GOING TO HAVE TO PAY $60 FOR A NEW SAN ANDREAS? :mad:

if thats the case...Bill Gates has enough money already,now hes going to be a
T-R-I-L-L-I-O-N-A-I-R-E $1,000,000,000,000
wat an a-s-s
What are you talking about? :confused:

gt12
07-16-2005, 12:51 AM
now say they arent compatible, and they make HALO 2 for xbox 360, if i wanna play LIVE i would have to get HALO2 xbox 360, because no one will be playing xbox HALO 2

Unreal
07-16-2005, 10:52 AM
now say they arent compatible, and they make HALO 2 for xbox 360, if i wanna play LIVE i would have to get HALO2 xbox 360, because no one will be playing xbox HALO 2
Halo 2 is a bad example to use. If you just went by what MS said about TOP SELLING Xbox games. Halo 2 would fit that catagory. Which means you could play it on the 360. They are not going to recode past gen games. With the deal they are making with Nvidia, they should have all Xbox games compatible with the Xbox 360. But for those games that are not compatible, they mentioned that they will release a patch if the demand warrants it. So a niche title that sold 50,000 copies might not work, but if enough people ask to be able to play it. They will release a patch for. GTA San Andreas is a big title for the Xbox. I dont see a problem with it not being compatible.

Like the article said. Most Xbox games are single layered discs. Which means they shouldnt have a problem working. Anything that is dual layered or multi layered will require a patch. But will still work.

OC Noob
07-18-2005, 11:37 AM
Halo 2 is a bad example to use. If you just went by what MS said about TOP SELLING Xbox games. Halo 2 would fit that catagory. Which means you could play it on the 360. They are not going to recode past gen games. With the deal they are making with Nvidia, they should have all Xbox games compatible with the Xbox 360. But for those games that are not compatible, they mentioned that they will release a patch if the demand warrants it. So a niche title that sold 50,000 copies might not work, but if enough people ask to be able to play it. They will release a patch for. GTA San Andreas is a big title for the Xbox. I dont see a problem with it not being compatible.

Like the article said. Most Xbox games are single layered discs. Which means they shouldnt have a problem working. Anything that is dual layered or multi layered will require a patch. But will still work.

Emulation is freakin sweet.

mattgame
07-19-2005, 07:56 PM
It never really mattered to me. I'm keeping my Xbox anyway.

OC Noob
07-22-2005, 02:38 PM
It never really mattered to me. I'm keeping my Xbox anyway.

Yeah, I really can't see people selling them for $30 or whatever they'll be worth as trade ins once the 360 comes out and its not like people will just throw them out because they get a 360.

kenji
07-23-2005, 02:20 AM
I mostly think that it's laziness for me. I'd rather just throw in an XBox game into my 360 rather having to go where ever I'm going to keep my xbox stored and hooking it all up. Beside, the new XBox Live fetures only pertain to the 360, making it better to just use the 360 for XBox games over dragging out the XBox when I get the urge.

a lost prophet
07-23-2005, 02:30 PM
Ya. im gonna keep my xbox anyway cuz all my previous memory is on it. im gonna wait an extra year until i get 360 cuz a 3rd version of it comes out a year after the first two.
P.S.: the 3rd version is AMAZING!!!

Annex
07-23-2005, 03:43 PM
Third version?

a lost prophet
07-23-2005, 04:19 PM
yup v.3 comes out a year after the first two versions

J0Hn790
07-26-2005, 08:34 PM
I say no just because its such an overrated feature. Its not like people throw out their old consoles when they get new ones, so they can just as easily play those games on their old systems.

Its a nice feature to have, but (even if I didn't own the system) its not like I can't go buy a N64 for $20 to play its games since the GC can't play them. My friends and I don't usually play older games when there are newer, much improved curent gen options out there either. Anything classic can usually be played on an emulator or a $20 system like the N64.

I see what you're saying, but I can play Halo 2 just as easily on my Xboxes as I can my 360 (when I get it) and it means less wear and tear on the newer systems too.

Either way, it sounds like MS will be doing software emulating so we have a good chance of having 90%+ backwards compatibility with the 360.

ps I must be a total oddball, because no one ever mentions using their old system to play its games instead of relying on backwards compatibility.

YOU ARE RIGHT IN THE FACT PEOPLE DONT JUST THROW AWAY THERE OLD SYSTEMS BUT THEY HOWEVER DO TRADE THEM IN FOR MONEY OR STORE CREDIT AND IT WOULD BE NICE TO STIL BE ABLE TO PLAY HALO 2 ON 360 UNTIL THE RELEASE OF HALO 3 IN JUNE.I DONT BELIEVE BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY IS AN OVERATED FEATURE I THINK IT IS A NEEDED FEATURE FOR PEOPLE WHO NEED TO TRADE IN OLDER SYSTEMS TO MEET THE PRICE OF 300-350 FOR XBOX 360

George89
07-27-2005, 01:41 PM
well since i'm probably not going to sell my xbox, i can always whip it out when i want to play an xbox 1 game.....but i wouldn't mind seeing Xbox 360 be close to fully backwards compatible :hump: